Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

The Lord of Hats posted:

I’d love to hear the full train of thought spelled out. Like, I can kind of get how she imagined the presidency thing working out, because “I’m going to be the independent maverick that gets in because I just talk so much sense and am so obviously right, and people will like that I’m not beholden to either party” isn’t exactly an uncommon delusion. But where did she see “loudly renege in my campaign promises and espoused principles” being something that worked for her prior supporters.

The book Sinema wrote in 2009 based on her experiences in the Arizona state legislature basically says that she thinks great compromises piss everyone off. Her choices in the “loudly renege in my campaign promises and espoused principles” thread are her thinking she can do the exact same thing by sloughing off her old electorate in order to, to quote her book, "build coalitions that win--and last".

By sheer coincidence this involves ghosting every single person she ever relied on or was friends with previously who could possibly tell her the coalition she wants to build doesn't actually exist in the aftermath of Trumpism, and her job is to actually represent the people who voted for her rather than an imaginary "bipartisan" electorate.

In my personal opinion, the real problem is that, in every single aspect of her life for her entire life, she's been so wildly successful at doing whatever she wants and cutting off anyone who tells her otherwise that she's effectively contracted terminal Narcissistic Personality Disorder. She likely lost any capacity to change course about absolutely anything she does a long time ago.

EDIT: Now is the perfect time to share my ultimate, favorite, Weird Krysten Sinema thing (that also reveals just how insane of an overcommitted overachiever she is): there's pretty good evidence that she's been actively, personally running her own Facebook Marketplace store this entire time.

Combed Thunderclap fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jan 31, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I have to give Larry Hogan credit.

His policy page is actually fairly long and he has some extremely solid ideas that you don't typically see from Republican public policy white papers.

Psh, this is just him copy-pasting his plan for Baltimore transit after vetoing the Red Line (I’m still mad and bitter about it).

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Sanders is probably the most transformational candidate (in terms of campaign) we've had in modern US politics and he's lost badly twice in a row.

Having the most popular and most far left grassroots campaign in recent political history is not the most transformational... At least according to my own entirely subjective definition of transformational as “most actual potential to actually enact the most change.” (Your mileage may absolutely vary.)

I’m also likely being pessimistic and/or too perversely nostalgic for the Obama 2008 run, which is what would then qualify the most to me.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Starbucks has agreed to begin bargaining with its prospective union, Starbucks Workers United, to create a new union contract.

More here:

quote:

In a joint announcement released by both Starbucks and Workers United, the baristas’ union that is part of SEIU, the company agreed “to begin discussions on a foundational framework designed to achieve … collective bargaining agreements for represented stores and partners.”

The somewhat operatic language (“discussions on a foundational framework”) raised some questions about whether this was just more delay to a first contract. But the Prospect has learned that Starbucks has affirmatively agreed to bargaining with workers and their representatives to craft a master contract that applies to all unionized outlets, to be augmented, if necessary, by add-on contracts dealing with issues specific to particular outlets.

To demonstrate its good faith to understandably skeptical workers, the company also agreed to let them receive credit card tipping and also receive the back pay from the raises and benefits the company had given to all its employees, except those in outlets that had voted to go union.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

PhazonLink posted:

I hope she has the thickest AL accent ever.

After a quick YouTube check I can sadly confirm that if I hadn’t been informed where she was from before she spoke, I wouldn’t have known she was from the South, let alone AL.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i mean i live in PA but lol probably. least id only have to deal with one rear end in a top hat instead a dozen or so a day.

...have you visited DC?

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

lol, sick of this poo poo? he came in as the anti-establishment candidate spouting the tea party line, he needs to get the gently caress out of here with this loving whining

No, see, Buck just wants to be a normal Republican who spouts bigoted, anti-LGBT, total-abortion-ban evangelical rhetoric non-stop, none of this crazy Trump stuff (like the Texas lawsuit contesting the 2020 election that he openly supported)!

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

You know, as much as I can't stand Kyrsten Sinema, she at least knew when to quit, unlike this clown

https://twitter.com/MSNBC/status/1770933416281641382?s=20

Menendez has been getting away with being both wildly corrupt and holding every powerful senior Dem position possible for decades now and he’s 70, he’s never experienced an actual consequence for his actions and he’s old enough that he might as well not stop now.

…in short, even Sinema was never steeped in actual power this long to become this delusional. Can you imagine her chairing the Senate Foreign Relations Committee in her 60s after a few more terms? The headdresses alone would have caused the interns holding up the train of her cape to faint.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Uglycat posted:

If Biden has a dem house for the last four months of this term he'll win in a walk.

Especially in the (admittedly unlikely) event Sinema and Manchin can be persuaded to play one final round of “vote Yes on literally anything in the Dem party platform we can get smuggled past the parliamentarian”.

(Sinema, of course, remains convinced that her legacy rests on the preservation of the filibuster…which, ironically, it likely will.)

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Biden may be anti-marijuana but his White House likes winning.

I've been expecting his DEA to reschedule it once we've entered The Goldfish Zone (voters' six month memory span before an election, i.e., May - November) for a while now and it feels like all the right things have been moved into place to make that happen as well.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

I think it's not entirely irrational for both the economy and people to be doing financially "well" while also feeling deeply insecure about their finances and their financial safety. Sure, you have a job and food and a roof over your head -- but is your budget leaving you so broke that you can't save enough to feel like you're truly safe and secure (while the money that would have been going into a house/financial investment asset/savings account/401k appears to go down the landlord/student loan/inflation drain)?

quote:

7 in 10 U.S. adults surveyed are stressed about money, CNBC finds.

CNBC’s International Your Money Financial Security Survey polled roughly 500 people each in nine countries. Of the 498 people surveyed in the U.S., 70% reported feeling “very” or “somewhat” stressed about their personal finances. The poll was conducted by SurveyMonkey.

Top sources of that stress include several factors outside consumers’ control, including inflation (65%), economy-wide instability (35%) and high interest rates (27%). Others pointed to elements in their personal situation such as a lack of savings (44%), credit card debt (26%) or a layoff or loss of income (16%).
Among U.S. respondents in the CNBC survey, some of the most common components to feeling financially secure included having no outstanding debts (59%), accumulating “high levels” of savings (47%) and owning their own home (45%).

When it comes to achieving that security, 44% of U.S. respondents said the most important part is spending less than you make, followed by 29% who point to having a steady, well-paid job.

Bolding the above because that's what stands out to me as something people want to calm their anxieties that's likely not possible for everyone right now -- and might not have been classified as a need for people before now.

Some people have mentioned the pandemic, and while that was indeed four years ago, I do think today's sense of financial insecurity goes back to an anxiety born from the pandemic that there won't be a social safety net to catch you if you fall -- because there sure as hell isn't one. The COVID safety net did spring out to catch most people in a one-time protective measure, yes. But the pandemic and its inflation bubble definitely heightened anxieties for most people about their ability to not just provide for themself, but also be capable of providing a personal safety net big enough to calm their (possibly equally inflated) anxieties.

Combed Thunderclap fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Apr 5, 2024

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

Trump doesn't care about anything but his public image and feeling important; that could well be more responsive to public pressure than [the Democrat]

It feels deeply perverse to read this and experience a wave of nostalgia for the summer of 2016, of all years, but here we are, eight years later… :yayclod:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Also from the GBS Trump thread: FTC just voted to ban non-competes. Will never hold up in court, but I appreciate the gesture
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/federal-trade-commission-approves-ban-noncompete-agreements_n_6622b47ee4b0167f7bf4d211

Would you please elaborate on why the ban is unlikely to hold up in court? More “lol the administrative state shouldn’t exist when we have Congress (to do jack poo poo)” arguments? Just curious.