Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

Wait, it was?

Yeah, after everyone was like "Sure grandpa whatever" reporters descended on the neighborhood in question and people were like "Oh yeah Corn Pop, he was a real guy and I remember when the Biden thing happened."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Morrow posted:

It will get even smaller, later, but bounce up to a three seat majority again by the summer.

https://twitter.com/JacobRubashkin/status/1767614845531164779

How are ties broken in the House?

e: looked it up. They aren't, if the House ties then that counts as failure to pass

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

zoux posted:

Yeah, after everyone was like "Sure grandpa whatever" reporters descended on the neighborhood in question and people were like "Oh yeah Corn Pop, he was a real guy and I remember when the Biden thing happened."

Lmao amazing

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

haveblue posted:

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!

haveblue posted:

On any given vote, a tie is not a majority and thus is treated as a loss.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

RBA Starblade posted:

Lmao amazing

The best part is that the reporters tracked down Corn Pop's sister and she verified the story, but was confused about why all these reporters were calling her because Corn Pop had been dead for 5 years and she didn't know why or who would be talking about him now.

quote:

“My brother is deceased, why is anyone speaking his name?” Bailey said. “But everyone called him Corn Pop. And I remember him talking about Joe Biden.”

quote:

But after Biden’s apology, the old-timers in Wilmington recalled Biden developing a special relationship with Corn Pop, the Romans and others he met at the pool. He was often seen playing basketball with them or hanging out with them in their neighborhood, according to James Baker, a former Wilmington mayor.

Somehow, out of all the stories that Biden told that were exaggerated or sounded like total bullshit, the stories that he happened to actually be telling the total truth about were his stories that sounded the most bullshit: Dunking on the Prime Minister of Mongolia at archery and his almost fight/reconciliation with a guy named "Corn Pop" who was in an African-American gang called "The Romans" and challenged Biden to a fight with razors and chains.

Edit: And a guy named "Mouse" - who became the head of the Delaware NAACP - encouraged Biden to confront Corn Pop.

quote:

Richard “Mouse” Smith, a close friend of Biden’s and former head of the state NAACP, recalled telling Biden he had little to fear, that Corn Pop was mostly talk.

Every person involved and every detail of their life sounds like complete bullshit, but they were somehow real.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Mar 12, 2024

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The best part is that the reporters tracked down Corn Pop's sister and she verified the story, but was confused about why all these reporters were calling her because Corn Pop had been dead for 5 years and she didn't know why or who would be talking about him now.

Somehow, out of all the stories that Biden told that were exaggerated or sounded like total bullshit, the stories that he happened to actually be telling the total truth about were his stories that sounded the most bullshit: Dunking on the Prime Minister of Mongolia at archery and his almost fight/reconciliation with a guy named "Corn Pop" who was in an African-American gang called "The Romans" and challenged Biden to a fight with razors and chains.

Edit: And a guy named "Mouse" - who became the head of the Delaware NAACP - encouraged Biden to confront Corn Pop.

Every person involved and every detail of their life sounds like complete bullshit, but they were somehow real.

i mean thats how it always is. life is weird as hell sometimes.

idk why but i also want to picture corn pop and his gang dressed up in like mock roman armor like cesars legion or the warrirors.

"listen here jack, i saved the pool from Corn Pops legion".

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i mean thats how it always is. life is weird as hell sometimes.

idk why but i also want to picture corn pop and his gang dressed up in like mock roman armor like cesars legion or the warrirors.

"listen here jack, i saved the pool from Corn Pops legion".

Ave. True to Kellogg.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

zoux posted:

Indeed. This thread notes the glee with which the major outlets ran stories on this

https://twitter.com/MattGertz/status/1767534730742788470

NYT ran 30 stories in 4 days on Biden's mental fitness. Wapo ran 33 and the WSJ a mere 17.

Decades of right-wing screaming about "the liberal media." There's an old saying which seems apt. "The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing everyone he didn't exist." The greatest trick right-wing media has ever pulled is convincing everyone that they're not really right-wing media. I think it's such a good trick that even a lot of right-wing media doesn't recognize or realize that they're right-wing.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Mar 12, 2024

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
When the report first came out, I remember thinking that it was probably exaggerated, but I kind of assumed there was like, a kernel of truth in there, probably? And then we just kept getting story after story about Biden being old and decrepit and how he's probably senile or something. And even as someone who thought that that was probably not as true as it was made out to be, the sheer volume of stories started to weigh on my perception.

And now the transcript comes out and reveals "Oh, yeah, he's fine, actually, that was all basically entirely fabricated". I still wish that he wasn't So Old, of course, but man it's an object lesson in the power of the media.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Not politics related, but former NBA player Ron Artest (AKA the guy who got suspended a season for fighting fans in the crowd during that huge brawl in Detroit 20 years ago) told this crazy story in some post-game interview about never letting his emotions take control of him (lol) and talked about watching at some YMCA game as a kid that got heated over a foul call and ended with a player stabbing another player with a broken off chair leg. Everyone was going WTF and just thinking he was off his meds and spinning crazy stories, but some goon found an 80s era NYT crime blotter article about it

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

haveblue posted:

Article says he’s not just retiring, he’s moving up his previously announced retirement plans- he was originally going to finish his term and just not run for re-election. Wonder what convinced him Congress was even worse than he first thought. Or maybe he’s got some kind of private crisis

My guess is he either got some bad news on his health or at least had a nasty scare, and decided he doesn't want to deal with the stress of it for even the few extra months.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shooting Blanks posted:

My guess is he either got some bad news on his health or at least had a nasty scare, and decided he doesn't want to deal with the stress of it for even the few extra months.

He's sick of this poo poo:
https://twitter.com/AccountableGOP/status/1767617625532645475

More surprising was that House leadership had no idea
https://twitter.com/haleytalbotcnn/status/1767618066328781098

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

The Glumslinger posted:

Not politics related, but former NBA player Ron Artest (AKA the guy who got suspended a season for fighting fans in the crowd during that huge brawl in Detroit 20 years ago) told this crazy story in some post-game interview about never letting his emotions take control of him (lol) and talked about watching at some YMCA game as a kid that got heated over a foul call and ended with a player stabbing another player with a broken off chair leg. Everyone was going WTF and just thinking he was off his meds and spinning crazy stories, but some goon found an 80s era NYT crime blotter article about it

his name is metta sandiford-artest now

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Did he change his name a second time? Because he did change his name while he was still in the NBA to Metta World Peace

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

yes he got married and took back the artest surname, and hyphenated it with his wife's surname

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

The Lord of Hats posted:

When the report first came out, I remember thinking that it was probably exaggerated, but I kind of assumed there was like, a kernel of truth in there, probably? And then we just kept getting story after story about Biden being old and decrepit and how he's probably senile or something. And even as someone who thought that that was probably not as true as it was made out to be, the sheer volume of stories started to weigh on my perception.

And now the transcript comes out and reveals "Oh, yeah, he's fine, actually, that was all basically entirely fabricated". I still wish that he wasn't So Old, of course, but man it's an object lesson in the power of the media.

i assumed at worst, he was slower behind the scenes.and needed pauses to remember stuff. instead he is talking about his various old man stories.

i mean id do the same if i were in his shoes. the party isnt in a good place and he wants to bail.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

lol, sick of this poo poo? he came in as the anti-establishment candidate spouting the tea party line, he needs to get the gently caress out of here with this loving whining

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I want to visit mongolia someday. just to at least see some sights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4xZUr0BEfE
also mongolian metal rules.
This one's also a banger:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM8dCGIm6yc

cat botherer fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Mar 12, 2024

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Anyone looking for a job, John Fetterman is now looking for a communications director lol
https://x.com/senate_jobs/status/1767648517978202594?s=20
Can't imagine why would he need one, he seems to have an ear to the voice of the people lol

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Hell World timeline continues lol

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I want to visit mongolia someday. just to at least see some sights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4xZUr0BEfE
also mongolian metal rules.

There's also the other band
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1UhoGJ2PwA

Edit: gently caress I thought I was in gbs

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Mar 12, 2024

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

BonoMan posted:

Aaron Rodgers as RFK Jr's VP sounds like something a very lazy Jimmy Fallon writer would pitch.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

lobster shirt posted:

yes he got married and took back the artest surname, and hyphenated it with his wife's surname

Wow so he gave up on world peace that easy huh?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwutOqv4cGo
they made stuff for star wars games.

Young Freud posted:

Anyone looking for a job, John Fetterman is now looking for a communications director lol
https://x.com/senate_jobs/status/1767648517978202594?s=20
Can't imagine why would he need one, he seems to have an ear to the voice of the people lol

gently caress. id do it. better then my current job possibly.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Dapper_Swindler posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwutOqv4cGo
they made stuff for star wars games.

gently caress. id do it. better then my current job possibly.

He'd change his mind and fire you soon as you move out there.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

socialsecurity posted:

He'd change his mind and fire you soon as you move out there.

i mean i live in PA but lol probably. least id only have to deal with one rear end in a top hat instead a dozen or so a day.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i mean i live in PA but lol probably. least id only have to deal with one rear end in a top hat instead a dozen or so a day.

...have you visited DC?

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

lol, sick of this poo poo? he came in as the anti-establishment candidate spouting the tea party line, he needs to get the gently caress out of here with this loving whining

No, see, Buck just wants to be a normal Republican who spouts bigoted, anti-LGBT, total-abortion-ban evangelical rhetoric non-stop, none of this crazy Trump stuff (like the Texas lawsuit contesting the 2020 election that he openly supported)!

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

BonoMan posted:

Lol I guess he doesn't feel the need to win Minnesota

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

[a lying partisan hack is found out to have lied about everything and both sides of congress hate him]

on our next story, some very mild questions are being raised about how joe biden is captain senility poopy pants, a fact now requiring a mere pause to question the larger scope of things involving this otherwise rock solid story.

here with us now is a ghost, a mere whispering of times past, whispering requiring the barest of elucidations. ghost?

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
Imagine if the shoe were on the other foot while Trump was president and a special counsel investigating him had made up lie about him.

1. Trump would have fired everyone in the DOJ who would have dared to investigate him or his family don’t never would have happened in the first place

2. If for some reason Trump had allowed an investigation, he would have fired the special consul the moment he said anything critical of Trump. Before it came out that it was a lie

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Judicial Conference of the United States Promote Random Case Assignment

US Courts posted:

The Judicial Conference of the United States has strengthened the policy governing random case assignment, limiting the ability of litigants to effectively choose judges in certain cases by where they file a lawsuit.

The policy addresses all civil actions that seek to bar or mandate state or federal actions, “whether by declaratory judgment and/or any form of injunctive relief.” In such cases, judges would be assigned through a district-wide random selection process.

“Since 1995, the Judicial Conference has strongly supported the random assignment of cases and the notion that all district judges remain generalists,” said Judge Robert J. Conrad, Jr., secretary of the Conference. “The random case-assignment policy deters judge-shopping and the assignment of cases based on the perceived merits or abilities of a particular judge. It promotes the impartiality of proceedings and bolsters public confidence in the federal Judiciary.”

More in the link, but the effect of this policy is to make it more difficult or impossible for anyone bringing certain types of suits in federal court (primarily those affecting state or federal policy) to judge shop. This means that judges like Matthew Kacsmaryk will no longer get every assigned case within their district, making it more difficult for obvious partisan litigation to find a friendly judge.

In short, this should promote more fairness within the federal judiciary. Attorneys of any flavor can't find a specific place to file a suit, knowing they'll find a judge who's deeply partisan in one direction or another. It doesn't mean that cases won't find partisan judges, but it does make it more difficult to guarantee a victory if you're trying to affect policy. This also doesn't mean that existing cases will be moved from one docket to another - if anything, that's highly unlikely, it takes time and effort to relitigate an existing case, and the judiciary is already stretched thin.

I'm sure there's a lawgoon here that can explain it better than I can, but this is probably good news given how the judiciary has been targeted by partisanship for the past several years.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

It's in the senate, Ted Cruz has to be at least a dozen on his own.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

James Garfield posted:

It's in the senate, Ted Cruz has to be at least a dozen on his own.

On the bright side, Ted Cruz's home in Houston has become a hotspot for pro-Palestine protests. Apparently it's been happening since January. Can't think of a nicer guy to receive protests at his home.

theysayheygreg
Oct 5, 2010

some rusty fish

BonoMan posted:

i didn't think he could hit rock further bottom than carrying an american flag on to the field then immediately getting carted off of it. but then again, i guess being an also-ran and losing in an even more nationally televised manner is exactly that! can you imagine the future where aaron rodgers has to go to a VP debate? tears of joy are streaming down my face as i type this!

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Dems should cut an ad about the Mongolian archery stuff, using the transcript, footage, and stills. Sick throat singing backing track too of course. It would probably not affect any votes, but I would personally find it highly amusing.

Zero_Grade fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Mar 13, 2024

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

So if there is a special election for CO-4, then Boebert can't run in it unless she vacates her seat in CO-3, right? And if she doesn't run in it she will have to run against, most likely, a GOP incumbent in the primary.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Zwabu posted:

So if there is a special election for CO-4, then Boebert can't run in it unless she vacates her seat in CO-3, right? And if she doesn't run in it she will have to run against, most likely, a GOP incumbent in the primary.

Colorado doesn't have a resign-to-run law, so she can stay in office while running. She'll have a harder time making votes, though, and she'll have to immediately run again for the November general.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Quorum posted:

Colorado doesn't have a resign-to-run law, so she can stay in office while running. She'll have a harder time making votes, though, and she'll have to immediately run again for the November general.

Wait a minute. If a special election is to fill CO-4 for the remainder of the session, how could she be the rep for CO-3 AND CO-4 without resigning her current seat? Even if she could legally run, she could not occupy the seat without vacating her current seat, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/carlquintanilla/status/1767700960468488211

gently caress me. I know we’re all wringing our hands about Bidens polls but this cycle also has the potential to wipe out the House GOP. If only the Senate map weren’t so loving bad