Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Gyges posted:

So is Florida going to be doing DNA testing on anyone who Gator Country Barney Fife doesn't think looks either masculine or feminine enough for their Driver's License? My understanding is that most if not all of identifying documents already let you change your gender.

Realistically here's what I think will happen, based off of exactly what was written on that notice in the tweet:

1. All applications to change the gender stated on the licenses will now cease to be processed.
2. All applications for new licenses (from people just getting their first one) are gonna be checked against the supporting document they provided as part of the application, and at the end of the day the genders should match.

3. They will start to review driver licenses they reissued in the past x years where the only change is the gender field. The memo states that gender, for their purposes, is defined a biological sex, and that it is fraud to misrepresent your gender on your driver's license.
4. They will start to review the applications from step 1 that they stopped processing and also flag those for fraud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I would not want to be the guy hired to drive the truck to transport all those eggs somewhere else.

Also can people who had their eggs frozen claim them all as dependents now? At least on their Alabama taxes?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

When I was in high school we’d just go to Spencer’s or something at the mall and buy gag gifts like this.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

is trump too poor to pay black people to take pictures with him or is he just trying to avoid being physically next to black people

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Bellmaker posted:

Boeing planes continue to have a shitton of problems.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/11/us/politics/faa-audit-boeing-737-max.html

Totally coincidentally a Boeing whistleblower was found unalive today when he was supposed to appear for a third day of testimony.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-68534703

His lawyer said he was found dead in his truck from gunshot wounds.

https://www.corporatecrimereporter.com/news/200/boeing-whistleblower-found-dead-in-charleston-after-break-in-depositions/

quote:

"Today is a tragic day,” Knowles wrote. “John had been back and forth for quite some time getting prepared. The defense examined him for their allowed seven hours under the rules on Thursday. I cross examined him all day yesterday (Friday) and did not finish. We agreed to continue this morning at 10 a.m. (co-counsel) Rob (Turkewitz) kept calling this morning and his (Barnett’s) phone would go to voicemail. We then asked the hotel to check on him. They found him in his truck dead from an ‘alleged’ self-inflicted gunshot. We drove to the hotel and spoke with the police and the coroner.”

It's almost as believable as randomly falling out of a window in Russia.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Failed Imagineer posted:

Lol, this is pretty good stuff. I don't even really care if he's sundowning there or just loving with the interviewer, it's good entertainment

USCE: risqué pictures of MY WIFE

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

So that Boeing quality whistleblower who was found dead in his truck the morning he was suppose to finish testifying? Totally normal coincidence right?

https://abcnews4.com/news/local/if-...abc-news-4-2024

quote:

When Jennifer needed help one day, Barnett came by to see her. They talked about his upcoming deposition in Charleston. Jennifer knew Barnett filed an extremely damaging complaint against Boeing. He said the aerospace giant retaliated against him when he blew the whistle on unsafe practices.

For more than 30 years, he was a quality manager. He'd recently retired and moved back to Louisiana to look after his mom.

"He wasn't concerned about safety because I asked him," Jennifer said. "I said, 'Aren't you scared?' And he said, 'No, I ain't scared, but if anything happens to me, it's not suicide.'"

Yeah what a strange coincidence.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Bel Shazar posted:

Or even stop differentiating based on arbitrary societal norms and find measurable KPIs to group competitors.

There are very good reasons to differentiate and have competitions targeting certain groups of people. An example brought up often is chess. People often ask why there are women's only competitions when there appears to be no advantage gained by being a man? In this case being a man is the advantage. For a whole lot of reasons, societal, cultural, norms, etc, being a man is an advantage in and of itself. Men don't systemically get told to stay in the kitchen, and men in general don't have to face the sexism and vitriol that women do when they participate in a male dominated things.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Rappaport posted:

Clearly the solution is wholly anonymized sports. Blur the competitors for any potential teevee viewers, identify them by their numbers only, and let the chips fall where they may.

It's good to have a face and a person for people to look up to. Young Susie Jane isn't going to aspire to be an x because of competitor #36533. She's going to be inspired by someone "just like her" with a similar story and background.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Being horrified at how many of my fellow human beings were complaining that washing your hands for 10 seconds straight was way too long and took forever. Then, learning that about 40% of American men say they don't use soap to wash their hands after using the bathroom.

I have seen people in my company's bathroom where they just wave their hand under the faucet to start the water and then leave. I guess they're just doing it for appearances? Like wtf. Also people taking a poo poo and being on a meeting at the same time. loving gross. I don't even bring my phone into the bathroom because it's loving gross.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

lol and lmao

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I can't believe he's gonna trade his stupid meme stock as DJT. I mean I guess I can believe it since it puts his name on everything but lol.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Jesus Christ it's just gone.

In that video in the tweet posted you can see cars with headlights on the bridge.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't know about you guys but speedrunning repairing/rebuilding the bridge sounds like a horrible loving thing.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Zero_Grade posted:

This accident is like a perfect encapsulation of everything taught in first year engineering classes. I guarantee that video will be shown for the next fifty years in every ENG102 room directly after the Tacoma Narrows vid.

???

This was an accident. A boat steered itself into a bridge. How is that remotely comparable to a bridge that was designed poorly?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Kchama posted:

I never said was the 'obvious right answer', just that learning to engineer structures to RESIST is pretty important.

And no it's not first year engineering stuff but it's still something you'd show to get across what a disastrous collision looks like.

Oh I see you're already moving the goalposts. The original post that I responded to clearly said first year engineering.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Don't those people have phones? smh

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

golden bubble posted:

https://twitter.com/ballmatthew/status/1774081179450249266?s=20

The NY times is rapidly becoming a wordle and mobile gaming company that runs a newspaper on the side

I spend hours a week doing their crosswords. Somehow I bought a 1 month membership for it a couple years ago, canceled, and they haven't charged me since then but still give me access.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

How does this square with the fact that just earlier this month NYT reported that the NIH found:

quote:

New studies by the National Institutes of Health failed to find evidence of brain injury in scans or blood markers of the diplomats and spies who suffered symptoms of Havana syndrome, bolstering the conclusions of U.S. intelligence agencies about the strange health incidents.

Spy agencies have concluded that the debilitating symptoms associated with Havana syndrome, including dizziness and migraines, are not the work of a hostile foreign power. They have not identified a weapon or device that caused the injuries, and intelligence analysts now believe the symptoms are most likely explained by environmental factors, existing medical conditions or stress.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/18/us/politics/havana-syndrome-brain-studies-nih.html

We've been hearing about "Havana syndrome" forever now and I don't know what to believe anymore. But I'm sick and tired of this back and forth. It's getting ridiculous.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I remember reading about that in high school and trying it out to see if we could annoy other classmates but not the teacher. I graduated high school circa 2005.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Goatse James Bond posted:

My understanding is that the weed rescheduling process is going at pretty much the normal speed of the administrative state. Maybe a bit slower because the DEA is cranky about literally everyone else in the government telling them to reschedule weed, but they're still on the high end of the regular pre-public-comment window.

Quoting you cause of the topic, not asking you specifically.

Is there anything being done about people driving and smoking weed at the state level? I'm in a newly legal state now and I take public transit, so I walk along the streets or wait at bus stops next to the streets every single day. There has literally never been a single day where no car has driven past me smelling dank af. This isn't hyperbole: I smell at least 1 car driving past me every single day smelling like they just lit up.

I'm all for legalization but I seriously don't understand why people feel like it's acceptable to smoke and drive?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Blue Footed Booby posted:

So what I'm hearing is that you've never stopped to rest in the middle of a multi day journey at a roadside hotel in the middle of goddamn nowhere and been unable to sleep. Or had to work in a town with no mass transit. poo poo happens. It's not like getting drunk and going out for a jaunt.

There's always Uber.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

shoeberto posted:

I don't follow any of this, what are these ships and why does this indicate anything?

Yeah I truly have no idea what all those acronyms are or what it actually means. If we can't chat about it I'll take a link.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Staluigi posted:

and the chef goes into a depression for six months about it because it permanently harmed their reputation even though what actually happened is that it wasn't cheddar, it was Proper Rich French People Cheese with a different color because the dish had saffron in it, and this created a legal case called "cheddar-gate" and i'm not actually making this up this was basically what happened

quote:

Veyrat, 69, said he learned of the downgrade only when he read the guide and it left his kitchen staff in tears and threw him into a profound depression lasting several months. He told France 2 television it was the most terrible thing to have happened to him. “It’s worse than the loss of my parents, worse than anything,” he said.

"Worse than my parents dying" is a bit much.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Boeing is in the news again!

https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/1777070092687188476

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/04/07/boeing-engine-part-fell-off-during-southwest-flight-takeoff-faa.html

quote:

An engine cowling fell off of a Southwest Airlines Boeing 737-800 and struck a wing flap during takeoff from Denver International Airport, the Federal Aviation Administration said Sunday.

The FAA said Southwest Flight 3695 was on its way to Houston’s William P. Hobby Airport and safely returned to the gate at Denver at 8:15 a.m. local time. Southwest said customers on the flight transferred to a different aircraft and were scheduled to arrive at their destination three hours late.

“Our Maintenance teams are reviewing the aircraft,” Southwest said. The FAA said it is investigating the incident. Southwest didn’t immediately respond when asked when the plane and engine last underwent maintenance.

It's an older model of 737 though. Not sure if that's better or worse.

quote:

The plane is an older model of the Boeing 737 than the Max jets. Boeing is under heightened regulatory scrutiny after a January incident when a door plug blew off a nearly new 737 Max 9 when the Alaska Airlines flight was at 16,000 feet, causing a near-catastrophe.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Another Boeing whistleblower has come forward and made his name public, this time about the 787.

https://www.npr.org/2024/04/09/1243770423/boeing-whistleblower-787-faa-investigation

quote:

WASHINGTON — Federal regulators are investigating a whistleblower's claims about flaws in the assembly of Boeing's 787 Dreamliner.

Longtime Boeing engineer Sam Salehpour went public Tuesday with claims that he observed problems with how parts of the plane's fuselage were fastened together. Salehpour warns that production "shortcuts" could significantly shorten the lifespan of the plane, eventually causing the fuselage to fall apart in mid-flight.

"If left unchecked, this could result in catastrophic failure," Salehpour said Tuesday during a press briefing to discuss his claims.

A spokesman for the FAA confirmed that the agency is investigating those allegations, which were first reported by the New York Times, but declined to comment further on them.

Boeing immediately pushed back.

"These claims about the structural integrity of the 787 are inaccurate and do not represent the comprehensive work Boeing has done to ensure the quality and long-term safety of the aircraft," Boeing spokeswoman Jessica Kowal said in a statement. "We are fully confident in the 787 Dreamliner."

[…]

The concerns Salehpour raises with the 787 Dreamliner appear to be similar to those that prompted the FAA to halt deliveries of the plane in 2021, when regulators found production flaws including unacceptable gaps between the fuselage panels.

The FAA subsequently approved Boeing's plans to revise its quality control and production processes, paving the way for the planemaker to resume 787 deliveries the following year.

But Salehpour and his lawyers argue that Boeing has never adequately addressed those concerns. Instead, he says the company took "shortcuts" by applying greater force to fit segments of the fuselage together.

"Boeing hid the problem by pushing the pieces together with force to make it appear like that the gap didn't exist," Salehpour told reporters at Tuesday's press briefing.

Salehpour says he repeatedly raised these concerns with management, but instead of addressing them, they transferred him to work on a different plane, the 777, where he alleges he saw similar problems.

"I literally saw people jumping on the pieces of the airplane to get them to align," he said. "That's not how you build a plane."

Boeing says it has conducted extensive testing, and that these issues "will not change or affect the expected lifespan of the 787 fuselages."

"The issues raised have been subject to rigorous engineering examination under FAA oversight. This analysis has validated that these issues do not present any safety concerns and the aircraft will maintain its service life over several decades," the company said in response to Salehpour's claims.

The 787 is made with lighter-weight composite materials, which help the aircraft deliver greater fuel efficiency than older 767s and 777s. But the rollout of the Dreamliner has been troubled from the start.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't think a Boeing executive ordered a hit on the guy. I also don't think the guy committed suicide. I believe both of these things equally the same. What I do know is that there are a lot of crazy people out there, including someone who was arrested for shooting at cars on the highway on Monday because the eclipse triggered them into thinking god or whoever was telling them to commit light domestic terrorism.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

https://www.npr.org/2024/04/11/1243982287/fbi-agents-housing-costs

quote:

Many FBI agents are struggling to make ends meet. Housing costs are to blame

Many FBI agents based in cities with a high cost of living are struggling to make ends meet, forcing them to make hours-long commutes or double up in apartments, according to bureau and Justice Department officials.

Natalie Bara, president of the FBI Agents Association, said she's heard from two or three agents sharing an apartment near New York City, and others who commute four hours each day, back and forth to their field offices. Some circumstances are even more extreme, she added.

"They're having to juggle being able to afford rent and/or utilities versus being able to actually buy groceries, so it's getting to a level where it's becoming very, very difficult to not only recruit agents into these high cost of living areas, but also retain them in those areas," said Bara, who is a second-generation FBI agent.

A survey last year found more than two-thirds of agents who live in these places said it's difficult to manage on their current salaries.

First of all, shits too expensive and people need to be paid more/paid wages that allow them live.

But lol and lmao let's all feel sorry for these cops for having to do things like "living with roommates" and deciding between whether they "pay rent or buy food".

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Why does the U.S. need to launch retaliatory strikes? Like I don't get it. We don't have a mutual defense pact with Israel do we?

E: Wait is that tweet quoting POTUS or is it a message to POTUS? I read it as a quote from POTUS.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

cr0y posted:

Iran if you attack again you have us to deal with

How about no the U.S. should not invite themself to the party.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I saw on BBC that 60 out of 96 potential jurors immediately got out of it by saying they could not be impartial.

How is it possible for anyone to be impartial when the defendant is a former president and the US has de facto only 2 political parties? I can't see how even the most independent of "independents" could say with a straight face that they can be impartial.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

KillHour posted:

Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel like most people even on here would vote to acquit if the government really couldn't prove he broke the law. I have no doubt that won't happen, if only because you would have to be the most incompetent person on the planet to bring anything less than an air tight slam dunk case to this trial. But even if we are all going into it like "of course he fuckin did it," I'd still expect them to do their job and I'm not going to side with a bunch of incompetent cops just because Trump deserves it.

I would 100% vote guilty the moment the trial started, before hearing any arguments. Possibly before the judge even gets in the room.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Wait a second, you are conflating a national security whistleblower ( an ex airforce NSA employee with a clearance ) with airline safety whistleblowers?

Lmao.

Having a clearance doesn't mean anything. Lots of civilian contractors doing non-military work have clearances as required for their jobs.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

PhazonLink posted:

a few more cents about Costco or just member only bulkbuying stores, hows BJs or Sam's Club? I know one of these is just under the Walmart megacorp(BJs??) and Sam, i dont know who Sam is.

Sam's Club is Walmart.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

In other news, convicted rapist Harvey Weinstein is no longer a convicted rapist. He is now just a regular rapist.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2024/04/25/nyregion/harvey-weinstein-appeal

quote:

New York’s highest court on Thursday overturned Harvey Weinstein’s 2020 conviction on felony sex crime charges, a stunning reversal in the foundational case of the #MeToo era.

In a 4-3 decision, the New York Court of Appeals found that the trial judge who presided over Mr. Weinstein’s case, Justice James M. Burke, had made a crucial mistake, allowing prosecutors to call as witnesses a series of women who said Mr. Weinstein had assaulted them — but whose accusations were not part of the charges against him. Citing that decision and others it identified as errors, the appeals court determined that Mr. Weinstein, who as a movie producer had been one of the most powerful men in Hollywood, had not received a fair trial.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

davecrazy posted:

Doesn't he also have a conviction in California?

So he will get extradited to LA and go right back to jail.

Oh you're absolutely right. Serves me right for not clicking on "expand story."

quote:

The ruling does not mean Mr. Weinstein, who is being held in an upstate New York prison, is a free man. He was sentenced in 2022 to 16 years in prison in California after he was convicted of raping a woman in a Beverly Hills hotel, and will now be sent to California to continue his sentence on the convictions there, according to his spokesman.

Harvey Weinstein, still a convicted rapist.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

The Biden administration released new Title IX regulations governing all public school or schools that receive federal funds in the country.

The main changes:

- Removes a Trump-era rule that required students who claimed to be raped to make themselves available to be cross examined by the person they accused.

- Previously, schools were only required to investigate sexual harassment claims that were made through a formal process and met a certain degree of criminal seriousness. Now, they will have to investigate when they are made aware regardless of whether the victim filed a formal report.

- Lifts a ban on schools investigating accusations of rape or sexual assault that happened off campus.

- Attempts to make transgender students use the bathroom of a gender they don't identify with are considered federal civil rights violations.

- Schools cannot require teachers to use the birth name or pronoun of a transgender person if they have a different identity.

- All federal requirements for sex discrimination also apply to LGBT students.

Florida says it will not comply with the new rules and could lose federal education funding.

If Florida does not comply, then they could lose the 13.9% of their annual education budget that comes from the federal government.

The rules go into effect in August and Florida has until then to make a final decision.

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1783797190734852338

There's gotta be a better way to punish the state than to take away education funding, isn't there? There's an actual person that is making the order to not comply. Why can't that person or persons get hosed instead?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

The NHTSA released the findings of their multiyear study of Tesla self-driving safety and found that Tesla FSD was involved hundreds of crashes and dozens of deaths.

That's not what the loving article says at all. The report found Autopilot being involved, not Full-Self Driving (FSD). The report "only" found 75 instances where FSD was involved, not "hundreds."

What Tesla calls Autopilot is what other companies call things like "Lane Assistance" or the feature where it automatically adjusts your cruise control speed to match the traffic ahead of you. Tesla and Elmo 100% call it Autopilot to mislead drivers.

I'm sure you know the distinction between Autopilot and FSD so I'm not sure why you're doing the same thing that Elmo is doing and mixing them up. The entire report seems to be about Autopilot being misleading.
[/quote]

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

The title of the article was:

And the article cites both FSD and Autopilot as being deceptive:

https://www.theverge.com/2024/4/26/24141361/tesla-autopilot-fsd-nhtsa-investigation-report-crash-death

Then the article is completely wrong because the report that the article is sourcing does not mention FSD except for just one single time. The report is about crashes involving Autopilot, and FSD was only mentioned as a footnote (it was identified as involved with 75 out of 956 crashes it investigated).

quote:

Notably, the term “Autopilot” does not imply an L2 assistance feature, but rather elicits the idea of drivers not being in control. This terminology may lead drivers to believe that the automation has greater capabilities than it does and invite drivers to overly trust the automation. Peer vehicles generally use more conservative terminology like “assist,” “sense,” or “team” to imply that the driver and automation are intended to work together, with the driver supervising the automation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Kchama posted:

That would seem to indicate that FSD is part of the 'hundreds of crashes' though. And in fact the report seems to conflate Autopilot and FSD since it is mentioned as a part of the Autopilot crashes. It's not even in a footnote, it's in the chart breaking down the crashes involving Autopilot. It's in there under 'Condition' with 'Frontal Plane Struck Vehicle / Object / Person in travel path' and such.

No, the table is saying that the NHTSA investigated 956 crashes total where they thought Autopilot was involved. Of those 956 they excluded 131 because they couldn't determine if Autopilot was involved, 165 because it was the other car's fault, 81 because it wasn't related to Autopilot, 37 for various other reasons, and 75 because it involved FSD not Autopilot. The rest are broken down into Autopilot related conditions.

E: Elmo wants the average dumbass to think Autopilot and FSD are the same thing. Don't let him get what he wants.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Apr 27, 2024