Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

FlamingLiberal posted:

She also failed to realize that this isn’t the 1990s/early 2000s anymore and that most moderates are looked at with disdain by your average informed voter

its less moderate and more shithead ur centrist blue dog when the party base of her state is pretty progressive and she didnt try to make inroads. manchin survived because he played to his base but could make deals. sinema didnt. sinema forgot her state base does actually matter and not her being manic pixi austerity girl.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jan 31, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Eric Cantonese posted:

I might be wrong, but it seemed to me that Arizona had a big influx of new people that changed the political landscape and I can see why that caught Sinema by surprise. (Her failure to adapt to that is totally on her though.)

If anything, West Virginia has the opposite phenomenon, with a net exodus.

yeah probably. I think its also all she had done is unpopular poo poo.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

More importantly she fell hard for McCain hype, which was mostly bullshit, and didn't understand that the brand was "slightly less evil Republican" not "ex democrat who does whatever has a dollar sign in front of it."

But she was dumb enough to fall for the smell of her own farts and there were a lot of lobbyists waiving a lot of bills at her while telling her she smelled like roses and new cars.

yeah this. I think she thought she could Main character her way into being some marvrick but she kept picking the worst battles and pissed away support.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Zapp Brannigan posted:

To be fair, he did only lose to Oz by like 950 votes out of 1.3 million cast.

But it was very funny watching Fetterman, a man who had legit brain damage, go on to crush Oz in the general lol

is because OZ was awful. all the GOP canidates are either carpet baggers or nutjobs. Fetterman for his many issues now is still deeply popular here and probably will stay that way.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

This tech hearing is getting kind of wild.

There are parents in the audience whose kids died from suicide, doing dumb thinks they saw promoted by TikTok, being groomed, kidnapped, etc. holding pictures up of their kids behind the tech CEOs.

The CEO of X/Twitter (Linda Yaccarino) just read prepared remarks that included "We need to raise the standard across the entire industry, including those companies who are not here today and were afraid to face the public." Some member of congress then said, "Let the record show that Mrs. Yaccarino initially declined to appear voluntarily and had to be summoned here via subpoena."

Mark Zuckerberg is sweating and crying after people were dogpiling him about lawsuits and asking about DOJ investigations.

Lindsay Graham and Amy Klobuchar described how Instagram did nothing after a guy was blackmailed with naked pictures of himself via a scam and then he killed himself when they told him to deal with it because it wasn't their job to police scams.

The exchange went:

Live link here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUjv2Ky7PcM

Zuckerberg is crying after being grilled by dorks like Ted Cruz and people who are usually white bread passive backbenchers like Chris Coons.

https://twitter.com/jason_kint/status/1752732606464921749
https://twitter.com/jason_kint/status/1752739416596967934

yeah. its nice to see the circus of the senate making GBS threads on mostly worse people for once.
also i am happy how bad all these freaks look. sure morons like cotton will scream dumb poo poo about commies but it seems mostly unified theory of "gently caress these guys" seems to be the rule of the day and its weirdly nice to see. least in this case.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jan 31, 2024

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Dick Blumenthal and Josh Hawley just asked Zuckerberg if he would apologize to the parents with dead kids sitting behind him. He actually stood up, faced them, and said:

Seems like a fairly good on-the-spot apology.

And then he had to add on:

https://twitter.com/zamaan_qureshi/status/1752742234250674473

well. nice to see hawley is good for something at least. part of the reason this works at all though is zuck is enough of human to feel bad, i dont think Elmo would do that.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jan 31, 2024

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Zamujasa posted:

i am not "gonna hand it to him" (zuck) because while it's nice he managed to pull an apology out of his rear end, he's only done it after how many years of enabling this poo poo with no end, and even then only at the prompting of a senator currently grilling him

this. I think he might genuinly be sorry(not saying as fan, i just think slightly less of a sociopath dick then say musk and proably feels things) but he wont fix anything or change poo poo. at best the site will purge some obvious bots and a bunch of sex worker accounts and maybe an obvious pedo or two.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jan 31, 2024

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

it genuinly shows how dumb cotton is. ted and hawley are smart enough to actually hit the tech companies on real genuin issues, meanwhile cotton just screams stupid poo poo for the base.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Kchama posted:

She had still some left, like ‘protecting women’s reproductive rights’, which is what got a lot of people voting for her, and then she decided that she should do that by…. blocking passage of bills doing just that. That one got a lot of people mad.

Basically compromise is fine, but when your compromise is “screwing over your own side for no gain on important causes”, that starts to piss people off. She voted with the Dems 90% of the time, but if the 10% she didn’t had been on non- or less important stuff, then she wouldn’t be in this trouble. Unfortunately, that 10% was on stuff that was extremely important to her base.

Yeah. She is trying to be McCain but with none of what McCain did. I don’t like the fucker and he did it for poo poo reasons but he saved my healthcare by thumbs down. He went against the grain to stop something unpopular. Sinema saw that and didn’t get the message and kept trying to do it for popular stuff or stuff the party wanted. She sees the imagery but doesn’t understand the context.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/rpyers/status/1752914377395851642

This is like, struggling state party numbers....

it feels a tiny copey but i think alot of it is trumps eating the money, lots of quiet corruption like with scott, true believers replacing various good earners and alot of billionares staying out of it because they want haley types or dems nstead of maga. also with suburbs moving more blue, the GOP is reliant on the chud base and the chud base just donates to trumps scam poo poo.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

zoux posted:

I mean I have no doubt the money men can turn on the spigots when they want but that still shows a shocking lack of donor buy in for the year leading up to the election.

because they know their money will get flushed away for some new case that trump has. they also arnt getting anything out of the gop. its just insane circus poo poo. the GOP is too crazy for alot of donors of various stripes. i also wouldnt be shocked if alot of money from suburbs just isnt happening anymore because the GOP pissed them off and away.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Feb 1, 2024

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Morrow posted:

Even the GOP's control of the house is threatening various tax cuts, since they can't keep their caucus cohesive enough to pass legislation and negotiate.

i think its because the culture war is the only war now. yeah some would like to cut taxes but either making minorities die Or shutting down everything so they can hunt witches is a bigger priority.

zoux posted:

They're not even going to be able to do a consolation impeachment

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1753134034115281196

yeah the GOP is in some genuin disarray. the carcinogen that was Newt that grew into the cancer of the tea party and accelerated by maga bs has fully matastized.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Ms Adequate posted:

Jesus Christ, a Republican who can see further than the end of his own nose? I didn't know there were any of those left.

there are plenty, they are just either on the supreme court, retired or a tiny minority. more in the senate then the house.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Gyges posted:

In addition to Trump and other's blatant skimming, the crazies are actively driving out competent people. Remember that McCarthy was one of, if not the, biggest fundraisers.

i wonder how he did it. like i assume he could actually be persuisive to rich old dudes i guess.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Yeah it’s a huge truly insane mistake for the right to go nuts on Swift and the NFL.

It might end up being their “Have you no sense decency, Sir?” moment. GOP politics is now incels tweeting about a pop stars mons pubis being gay.

I think we hit that with abortion and j6 and the GOP just keeps doubling down, the thing is alot of the indies and moderates arnt buying it now. the issues is that the GOP is controlled by the true believer base through various means and because of the chud trinty, its never gonna stop until it breaks down.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Rappaport posted:

The "have you no decency" moment hinged on other people having said quality. The conventional wisdom around the MAGA crowd seems to be that they do not, and the polarization of the US voting populace seems to revolve around this. You can pick your favourite three Trump quotes that'd fit the decency bill just as well, and the answer was a resounding "gently caress you, got mine" already.

Those moments came and went. The moderates and independents have listened and mostly abandoned trump and the gop. My dad sure as gently caress has. I think a lot of people had some faith the gop would do the right thing afte January 6th and they did for less than half a day and now they have been losing steadily ever since.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Eric Cantonese posted:

Yeah. I'm not quite sure why it started going viral again recently, but I have seen various tweets like the one shared in this thread about it all this week.

probably because its a forgetebble one and they can trick chuds into thinking its recent.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Staluigi posted:

I know we probably know why tucker carlson is in moscow but, ok, really, why is tucker carlson in moscow

my guess is interview putin or some high up ghoul. or hell maybe he was thinking a warrent was dropping and he fled,

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

A jury in Michigan, for the first time in American history, held the parent of a minor mass shooter criminally liable for her son's mass shooting.

She was convicted on 4 counts of involuntary manslaughter.

Since it is hard to keep track of all the mass shootings over the last few years, this was a school shooting where the mother was found to:

- Have given her son the gun.

- Texted her son to do a better job hiding bullets after he was caught with them in school and got in trouble.

- Let her son keep the semi-automatic handgun she bought him unlocked in his room.

- Covered for her son when he was caught multiple times making threats to shoot up the school and writing out his plans in notebooks.

- Let her son bring the gun to school, but told him not to take it out or get caught with it.

She says that she never believed that her son was capable of mass murder, so all of her actions were done within that context and she wasn't responsible for his actions.

The prosecution alleged that her level of negligence was so high that it qualified for involuntary manslaughter and the jury agreed.

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1754938615430308115

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/jennifer-crumbley-trial-verdict-rcna136937

they also took all their kids money out of his account when they ran from the cops because "well guess he wont need it", I dont know much about the dad but the mom seems like she was too busy with her own personal drama like carrying on an affair with a fire fighter then actually seeing what was wrong with her kid. sadly their are cases where the parents do clearly give a gently caress and try to get the help for the kid but the system fails or they fall between the cracks. the big one i remember being like that was the fedex shooting a couple years ago, which people only remember if at all, because the shooter was a brony

zoux posted:

The border deal was real real bad but the outcome of the very same politicians who have been demanding a solution to the border crisis turning around and killing it for electoral advantage is such a good outcome for the Democratic Party. Pretty risky to put that out there given it could've been passed, but I guess you never bet against GOP intransigence.

It seems almost too conspiratorial to say this was an intentional tactic, I don't think it was, I think the Dems are just scared of immigration since Americans (oh and every other nation in the world) are so insanely reactionary about it. But if it was the plan, it was quite a coup. I mean you got the head of the CBP union on Fox saying the GOP is lying about what's in the bill, you got Fox anchors directly contradicting Nancy Mace on the provisions of the bill.

https://twitter.com/highbrow_nobrow/status/1754610585923101070

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1754866298457059572

Doocey is pushing back! Doocey!!!

Furthermore, Plan B is now to pass a clean foreign aid package - which is what the Dems wanted in the first place

Yeah, i think the bill sucked but it could have been way way way worse and i am glad the GOP is too insane to play the game now.
anyway, i think plan b gets passed and either narroly passes or dies in the house.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

zoux posted:

I will say I have zero faith in the American electorate to acknowledge what's going on and punish the GOP for their obvious bad faith dealing. I imagine by April Fox will be full-throated "Bad bill! Good kill!"

i mean the chuds won't obviously, but moderates who arnt fox types will probably get annoyed about it, to them its less "oh they have no dignity sir" and more "i thought this was a crisis and you were gonna pass something, why do you assholes do you jobs" type anger/annoyance.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Google Jeb Bush posted:

You may be shocked to hear this, but it is very stupid.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/118th-congress/house-resolution/863/text

Insofar as they cite anything about anything, it's that he didn't use his discretion to detain absolutely every unauthorized immigrant until review and instead pursued legally permissible alternatives to detention.

which was admittedly a substantial and public Biden admin reform effort that I've been touting as good-if-insufficient, so of course Republicans are extremely angry

this. they are mad that he tried to use as many good/humane options as they could instead of putting turrents on the border with rotating knives. like i am sure the guy has blood on his hands and etc because DHS in general, but they are just mad that he isnt judge death.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Inglonias posted:

So I guess the lesson I take away from this whole immigration thing is that even when the Republicans win, they still lose? Or am I deluding myself and everything is still terrible?

its more trump and maga chuds cant accept a compromise bill even when they get alot of what they want, because the dems still look good/ok/coopoerative. the chuds want a total victory where they are the only winners. the GOP is full purity nut now which helps the dems, but passing the lovely bill would have also somewhat helped the dems.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Eric Cantonese posted:

I feel like "moderate" is the new "independent" as far as being the term of choice for GOP-leaning people who aren't total true believers.

This isn't based on anything in terms of hard data, though.

yeah. i think moderate is a range from "social liberal/econ conservative" indipendents to moderate GOP types who will hold their nose for biden because they hate MAGA to conservative dems

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Do y’all seriously think that “left economically and racist” is some unicorn position? Need I remind you who FDR compromised with to pass the New Deal?

yeah. I think alot of people have lots of complicated/dumb/good politics and usually have already decided who they want to vote for OR some weird random stuff and life events decide it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Eric Cantonese posted:

Did anyone actually know Peter Parker? But yeah, I guess no one was tempted to take a picture of his face and sell it.

part of that is because in the early days of the comics, peter is like 16 and dumb as poo poo, kids dont think rationally, of course he thinks everyone would know him instantly if he lost his mask. that means more obviously if the villian is a family friend or whatever obviously. like obviously now, someone could figure it out because internet or etc. but in the 1960s through 90s, no one would know who the gently caress he was.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Feb 8, 2024

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Barrel Cactaur posted:

Doc Ock doesn't even wear a helmet, he could just get bricked at any time

yeah. like some 1960s cop just plugs him in the head. i love that most of spidermans villians are just bank robbers with gimmicks.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Push El Burrito posted:

In the early comics Spider-Man would just thump him on the head once and he was out because he was just a regular dude with metal arms. It came back later because part of the reason he was dying was because he had so much trauma from fighting this superhuman dude all the time.

yeah. like why would you even be a regular criminal in any kinda of super hero universe. like do you think doc ock or the joker pays healthcare or even pays you well. like batmans gonna shatter my face when i shout and charge him.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

PeterWeller posted:

Batman may break some of my bones, but he's not gonna shoot me like some loving cop would.

yeah, also newer batman(and even old batman) actually did stuff for the community and like gave criminals real jobs and poo poo. the "evil facist batman" poo poo is from miller. I like batman drat it. Rip Kevin conroy.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Killer Croc tried to reform and there's a page of him being rejected from every interview possible

As someone also going through the job hunt, I get why he stayed a monster cannibal for so long

thought slime(i think) did a very good video on batman and etc. it was a nice change of pace to the same lazy arguments.

yeah thats shits bullshit. the company my mom worked for imploded because they trusted walmart and other big box stores. she ended up on her feet because of work connections but she was on workers comp for a month and had to do all the song and dance job search bullshit even when she doesnt need to anymore. gently caress that poo poo.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Professor Beetus posted:

There are obviously parallels to real world issues and there are attempts to address it but it's also very clearly a comic book universe in which there are just really bad people that need to be stopped by superheroes. It's an absurd reading of the comics to hold Bruce Wayne/Batman to the same moral calculus as if the comic book universe he resides in is exactly the same as our own. It's silly.

this.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Sephyr posted:

Joker trying to stage some grandiose heist or attack and it all grinding to a halt because he can't get henchmen, what with all of his old crews being in decent jobs or school programs, would be a fun little story.

"What do you MEAN, wearing clown makeup and being punched by an expert in human pain for 7 bucks/hour is no longer good enough, Jake? I got you started in this industry, you ungrateful moocher!"

The cops dont shoot joker because he is white.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

glitchwraith posted:

Ok, I'll bite. Gotham's corruption has been rooted out. Effective social programs have made poverty and major crimes rare to non-existent, and all super villains have been cured, reformed, or at least humanely separated from society. Gotham is in all senses of the word "fixed". What story do you tell now?

weird thing is they sorta do that with the suicide squad game(which is genuinly really really fun/good weirdly enough) at the end of knight, batman fake kills himself and sorta tries out a different crime fighter persona but then superman finds him and he joins the justice league which is just setting up and alot of gotham crime is either drying up with criminals in jail or dead or going off to other cities I am sad suicide squad got hosed because its genuinly good game, it just has tacked on GAAS stuff(not in the BUY BUY BUY sense but more in the mission variety and set up sense) because the story and writing and gameplay are good.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Feb 8, 2024

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

TheDisreputableDog posted:

I was being cheeky.

Anyway, Biden willfully took and distributed classified docs, huh?

sounds like he took a gently caress ton of notes in note books and a bunch of those notes were on classifed stuff and were forgotten about in his gross basement or various desks".

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Id be curious to read the full transcript personally. but yeah, not great.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

AKA Pseudonym posted:

The commentary on his memory seems a bit gratuitous for a special counsel's report to me. Is this sort of thing typical?

possibly. id have to hear various nerds read through the full report

Ms Adequate posted:

Oof, that's gonna kill him in the general

probably not. if this was september/october. possibly, now, probably not.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Welp, nice country we had here

idk. i defiently want to read the full transcripts at this point.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

Yeah, that looks written in a very pointed or misleading way, like with the debate described as "once so important to him".
https://www.justice.gov/storage/report-from-special-counsel-robert-k-hur-february-2024.pdf
the first thing you should read is buried at page 384 of 388, which is the letter from Biden's lawyers putting things in their proper context.

apperently The voluntary interviews lasting 5 hours were on October 8 and 9, immediately after october 7th. so yeah, id be running on empty too.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Feb 8, 2024

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

He's legally correct and it isn't much up for debate. They gave Trump multiple years to turn the documents over.

Pence and Biden didn't get charged because they contacted the FBI and national archives to alert them that they found classified materials and turned them in. Trump lied multiple times, moved items, and then hid them during investigations. He didn't get in trouble for taking them, he got in trouble for lying about multiple times over 2 years and refusing to give them back.

Pence and Biden also had handwritten notes about classified material, whereas Trump physically took original documents.

yeah. i believe most of the stuff was just handwritten note books and poo poo and then he just dumped them in cabinents and poo poo in case of refresher or archives or whatever.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Google Jeb Bush posted:

Linking the documents investigations to the ballot access question is pretty disingenuous. Stacking nuclear secrets next to the toilet isn't why Colorado is trying to boot Trump for treason. That's more about the part where he rallied a violent mob to try to murder Congresspeople and his Vice President until they were cowed into doing his bidding and abolishing democracy.

is that why colorado did it? because thats dumb if they did

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

TheDisreputableDog posted:

The Stormshadow GI Joe comic remains one of the best ever.

The gi Joe comics are weirdly great. Hasbro seems to roll 20s with getting talent for their toys until they don’t.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Scags McDouglas posted:

Ya I was also going to ask about the landslide thing. He's going to be on every ballot still, cool. I truly doubt the SC is going to rule the same way on his immunity, and my cynical heart is black as coal.

i think they dont take it up.