Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Nucleic Acids posted:

No Arab or Muslim American is under any obligation to vote for Joe Biden for any reason, least of all ones who have watched the entire Gazan branch of their family be annihilated over the past four months.

Quote a single person who said that Arab or Muslim Americans are obligated to vote for Biden

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

https://twitter.com/ndrew_lawrence/status/1755061838352396558?t=Un2lDyaU7Cfj9p7-Pfi1Zw&s=19

It appears that Hannity interviewed a right wing group who assaulted a random minority live on national television

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Trump claims that magnets stop working if you put them in a glass of water and this has people arguing about magnetic catapults like Trump has the foggiest idea

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Could we shut this discussion down or move it to a different thread? It seems like nobody here can handle it and it never goes anywhere without devolving into horrible flame wars and completely consuming the thread.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Edit:wrong thread

Fart Amplifier fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Feb 17, 2024

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

I clicked. The wrong thread.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Killer robot posted:

Much like the electoral politics thread, the I/P thread has a smaller audience and more rigorously enforced rules against snarky gotcha posting and low-content venting. Many find it to be a higher risk, lower reward environment as a result.

This thread is unreadable and completely useless as soon as either one of those derails happen.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Discendo Vox posted:

No, half the country does not have to stop existing. The normal process of politics and representation needs to be brought to bear on the general consensus among the population that gun control is necessary. You do not need to catastrophize this or present it as futile.

Gun control happened once in America and it was working until America decided it didn't like it

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

There are cameras almost literally everywhere that humans are now. We would almost certainly have caught aliens clearly on camera in HD if they had visited Earth. We haven't, and so there is no more reason to believe in alien visitation than angels.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Crows Turn Off posted:

Aliens don't show up on cameras.

Then they wouldn't show up in our eyes so you'd never have UFO sightings.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Kith posted:

the only people who care about polls sooner than three months out from the election are:
  • trying to push a narrative
  • trying to sell a narrative
  • trying to find a narrative
it is not healthy to do any of these. it is better for your mental and emotional health to ignore polling until debates start because that's when normal people start paying attention and poll sample sizes/respondants are made up of regular folks instead of fringe weirdos

Telling people it's mentally unhealthy to care about polls when Donald Trump runs a perfectly good chance of winning a second term isn't responsible.

There is no healthy option in this political climate. Trump represents a tangible danger for people

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Kith posted:

what does reading a poll do to change this

e: what does reading a poll primarily answered by people with landlines do to change this

You don't get to decide its mentally unhealthy just because you feel like it's not doing anything. Do you really not get how telling people that mundane poo poo they do is mentally unhealthy on a forum is irresponsible?

Reading this forum does nothing. Is it also unhealthy?

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Wayne Knight posted:

It’s absolutely unhealthy to steep yourself in negativity that is completely detached from reality.

I’m sorry that hearing this causes you discomfort, but you will be much happier if you tune out at least some of the noise.

I don't care about polls.

What causes me discomfort is people downplaying Trump's chances of winning like they did in 2016.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Morrow posted:

To be completely fair to Trump's administration, anyone in politics in DC is bouncing between uppers and downers.

No, probably not everyone in DC is bouncing between uppers and downers and there's no reason to be fair to the person administration who victimized people.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Shooting Blanks posted:

I've been saying for awhile that this administration has been far too weak at publicizing their successes, and that failure is only magnified by how often they've tried to work behind the scenes rather than overtly. As has been pointed out many times, one of the smartest things Trump did was put his name on the COVID relief checks. People remember that poo poo.

People have incredibly short memories and only care about whatever the current drama is. Nobody gives a poo poo about the Biden admin's successes because in general a successful government is boring.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Gripweed posted:

It is odd that the administration’s successes need publicizing. You’d think such a broad swath of major policy achievements would have an obvious effect on people’s lives.

They do, but people either forget or don't even pay attention in the first place.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Blind Pineapple posted:

If Israel owned it, we wouldn't be having this conversation because there never would've been counter-narrative videos of the genocide in Gaza in the mainstream, which is what is really driving all this.

Please provide evidence for this claim

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Shammypants posted:

The data suggests that young people basically only use Tiktok, Snapchat, Instagram and Youtube (if you can call it social media). That's it. That's coming from 44% using Facebook in 2012. Tiktok content creators are on another level of reporting and information sharing. Take for example vaccine denialism. The doctors on TikTok who combated misinformation were simply better than any other platform anywhere in any form. That's one a million examples. TikTok is profoundly responsible.

I think Xiahou Dun was asking for actual evidence.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

yronic heroism posted:

Being the party with the power of appointment for 20 out of 24 years (like 1968-1992) or at least 28 out of 40 (like 1952-1992) would be a pretty big start.

The left isn't a party

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I didn't loving say that people would be carrying around all their records on their person, now did I? I said there would BE records.

There's no due process in the matter and you're not entitled to a lawyer. Who is going to advocate for anyone to even try looking for the records.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Charliegrs posted:

Is it really anticompetitive for a company to have it's fingers in so many pies? Because I always thought anticompetitive meant a company buys out all it's competitors. As far as I know there's still plenty of music streaming services and movies studios besides Apple. But maybe I'm missing something.

It's anticompetitive to use a dominant market share to leverage yourself artificially into other markets. Apple is extremely anticompetitive

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

rkd_ posted:

They call it a 15-week abortion ban, but isn't this effectively legalizing abortion up until 15 weeks? That's more generous than a bunch of European countries.

There would still be be stricter/outright bans in red states

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

He can likely easily raise the money selling his DJT stock when it opens tomorrow

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Goatse James Bond posted:

he can't do anything with his stock for six months after the... I can't remember if it's an ipo but you get the gist

AFAIK the board can waive it immediately. Would like to be wrong.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

They could have the poo poo sued out of them for that if it makes the price drop. Which it would.

OK, so someone who isnt Donald Trump might be sued. They can still do it.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Magic Underwear posted:

He probably does have a lot of cash but it's probably pledged as collateral for various loans so he can't also pledge it for this. 175m is still a lot for a bank or insurer or whatever to front and also a lot to scrounge up in liquid cash. It might still be a serious obstacle for him.

With his Truth Social meme stock he's likely about to sell he might end up actually richer than he's ever been

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

People who aren’t Donald Trump actually face consequences so they’re less likely to do it.

Trump JR, Linda McMahon, Devin Nunes, and a bunch of Trump stooges are not going to be less likely to do it.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Eric Cantonese posted:

I think that bond reduction has been partially done to deprive Trump of the ability to say he didn't get to appeal

There is no way to deprive Trump of the ability to say this. It was already not true, and he can and probably will still say this.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Sometimes you're tired through no fault of your own and have to get somewhere. But man, the data is horrifying.

There are always alternative methods of travel if you're not able to drive safely

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Blue Footed Booby posted:

So what I'm hearing is that you've never stopped to rest in the middle of a multi day journey at a roadside hotel in the middle of goddamn nowhere and been unable to sleep. Or had to work in a town with no mass transit. poo poo happens. It's not like getting drunk and going out for a jaunt.

You hallucinated a bunch of stuff if that's what you've heard.

And yeah for everyone else on the road it's almost exactly like you're getting drunk and driving.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Byzantine posted:

To be clear, I'm not arguing that the Dems could've done it, but I am pushing back on the characterization of the critic as a stupid fucker who can't even pronounce 'filibuster'.

You said the dems refused to do it, using 4 percent of the senate dems as represeative for the whole party

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

selec posted:

If you credit them as a party for things they get done, it seems fair and logical to fault them as a party for what they don’t get done.

That's completely wrong. I wouldn't credit the party for getting something done if 4% of the party voted for it.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

selec posted:

Part of running a competent party is leadership that can whip a tough vote. They just didn’t have it in them, collectively, to get it done. I think we just have a different sense of what we expect from one of two options to run this poo poo.

The dems failing to convince 2 insane senators isn't the same as the democrats refusing to remove the filibuster

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

bird food bathtub posted:

So when is his depression-induced spontaneous suicide scheduled?

There is no evidence that the other guy didn't commit suicide. Stop buying into conspiracy theories

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Xiahou Dun posted:

I mean, there's the part where he told people he definitely wasn't going to kill himself shortly before his death.

But outside of that, no.

He allegedly told one family friend in a statement that can't be verified to even exist. And even if he did say that, people who say they won't commit suicide still can.

Meanwhile his family seems to accept that it was suicide and that the stress had aged him and affected his health.

https://fortune.com/2024/03/28/boeing-737-whistleblower-john-barnett-death-family-lawsuit/

Xiahou Dun posted:

Boeing was very unlucky for that to have happened at the most suspicious time possible.

Years after the whistle blowing during depositions for an appeal of a decision over lost wages and before the Boeing team was set to cross examine him is not the most suspicious time possible.

This is a Seth Rich level conspiracy theory

Fart Amplifier fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Apr 10, 2024

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Gatts posted:

This November, Tuesday only, choose your President! The Criminal Fuhrer Wannabe Donald Trump versus Genocidal Joe Biden! A woman’s right to choose and democracy versus the lives of the Palestinian people hangs in the balance and it is up to you to decide where your morality and ethics lie!

Whatta choice.

This seems to be the content free comment that baited everyone into the same old flame war that turns this thread into the same unreadable mess every single time it happens.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

We weren’t talking about Trump “undermining the democratic process” nor overturning the election results. If you want me to answer a straightforward question, then by all means, ask one instead of dicking around.

Jesus Christ. You're the one who brought up the Emperor Fuher strawman and the 2021 reference was a clear and easily understood response to that specific comment. Stop trying to bait people into these dumb flame wars

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

US Foreign Policy posted:

Hey if I call someone online a fascist a few more times will the war stop??? Just trying to understand the point of making this thread unreadable

It's the exact same argument that ends up with people talking past each other in the exact same way every time. It's just people making noise at this point.

https://youtu.be/Q9zvgcOrTtw?si=BBH3ZmDpa_OKUN24

We are all the turkeys

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Majorian posted:

On what grounds would SCOTUS overturn a law legalizing abortion at the federal level?

It's not one of the enumerated powers of the federal government

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Bar Ran Dun posted:

We’ve previously confronted and successfully faced these problems in the past.

In the past these problems spanned decades due to ultra conservative strangleholds on SCOTUS.