Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Kratom is a potentially incredibly addictive partial mu agonist that in some cases is harder to get people off of than fentanyl. Some people it just melts. I used suboxone tapers to get people off. And people ruin themselves financially on that stuff. It’s very fast up but also fast down and patients develop a tolerance very quickly. I had patients who were spending several hundred a day on it and losing their family’s and homes. One power contractor installed gps on their fleet vehicles because they were worried about technicians getting high off of it during work, or having all their trucks in front of a head shop.

It also causes seizures.

Dont use Kratom. Do not buy drugs from the gas station.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Discendo Vox posted:

I believe the dominant product out there is a mix of kratom and kava. Do you have any sense of how those might interact?

None whatsoever. It’s so unregulated you’re rarely ever getting what it says is in the bag. But just briefly looking up, Kava is GABAnergic, so it counteracts glutamate. Like a dime store gabapentin basically. No idea of its potency, but anything taken in large amount that mediates glutamate can cause seizures when abruptly disrupted (alcohol, benzos). Mix it with something that’s highly addictive too? Easy math.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Morrow posted:

Like, I don't know how someone like Silwa or MTG manages. I read a blurb about their day and it sounds exhausting.

The answer is drugs isn't it?

Greene has….a lot going on.

Even back when I knew her from the Atlanta CrossFit scene she was always acting in a way that now I’d describe as manic.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Scags McDouglas posted:

Every time I'm reminded of this it's funny all over again.

You should take a job at Boebert's lovely restaurant and befriend her too.

I have neither breasts or a CCL so I don’t know if they’ll hire me.

FizFashizzle fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Feb 9, 2024

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Civilized Fishbot posted:

To me, as someone who's known men of his age who were dealing with actual neurological conditions and men of his age who were just generally slowing down and getting foggier, Biden's obviously in the second group.

Of course verbal fluency is a measure of cognition and history of gaffs aside, Biden’s presentation over the past four years is concerning. Biden’s (handlers are) smart enough not to come out and state he went 0/5 on delayed recall like Trump did, but it just how Biden acts when he’s speaking extemporaneously is obviously not just “slowing down.”

And the whole stutter thing has never been very convincing to me. This only became an issue during Iowa where he was very clearly struggling to keep it together. The stutter was never a problem when he was burying Paul Ryan on live television. Ot was never mentioned during the other two times he ran for president.

Biden can’t complete sentences later in the day and all of a sudden it’s a stutter.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

^^ no I basically went “this looks just like dementia in a man in his eighties who’s had multiple CVAs and claiming “well actually it’s a stutter we’ve never mentioned he had” is very suspect.

Kchama posted:

He's had a stutter all his life and it predated all of that. The issue isn't that he's suddenly obviously stuttering, but the effort it takes to not stutter means you say the wrong word, or it comes out sounding weird. For example, I tend to substitute the wrong word. Sometimes it is something I am looking at, or am thinking. My mind latches onto something close to what I am talking about, and that comes out instead. I sometimes say 'fay' instead of 'say', so you'll hear me go "I fay... I mean, I say" and stuff like that. And yes, being tired makes it more difficult to keep under control. I've been like that since I was a child, and it is not an indication of cognitive decline.

There’s never been a mention of him having a stutter. There’s no Google results for this from before 2020. It’s about and well sourced and the random black guy who’s legs he feeled up when he was working and a life guard. And fwiw Biden himself said the “stutter” isn’t a problem with his speech.

quote:

“I don't think of myself as continuing to stutter. ... That doesn't cross my mind that I'm stuttering,” Biden said. “Look, the mistakes I make are mistakes. And some people think I still stutter. I don't think of myself that way.”

https://www.axios.com/2019/12/08/joe-biden-stuttering-verbal-stumbles

I don’t mean to discount your own lived experiences and I’m not a speech pathologist but the stutter excuse never cut mustard for me.

Just based on what we see of him it’s atleast MCI with a mild cognitive communication deficit.

FizFashizzle fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Feb 10, 2024

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Literally part of the moca.

Certain dementias present with communication deficits early.

Primary progressive aphasia (what Bruce Willis has) presents very early with inability to make or understand speech.

Classic Alzheimer’s presents early on with inability to recall names and other word finding difficulty, due to asymmetric atrohpy of the hippocampi

Vascular dementia (or small vessel disease depending if you’re in neuro or psych) can present in any which way depending on where the infarcts are located. Not uncommon at all to have cognitive deficits.

Speech deficits can be:

Receptive - don’t understand speech
Expressive - can’t make it. This can be due to infarcts anywhere in the brain, or in specific language centers. Sometimes patients can’t make words or sometimes they can’t use the right word.

There are dozens of modifiers for speech patterns when you’re diagnosing communication deficits.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Xiahou Dun posted:

You are MASSIVELY out over your skis, dude.

Those were separate thoughts, and I'm just pointing stuff out out now. I'm not saying Biden has aphasia, but in regards to that poster's question, how do you think aphasia in the setting of dementia initially presents?

But you're not addressing my main point, which is that attributing this to a stutter that was never mentioned before 2020 is very convenient and not at all convincing unless you want it

Xiahou Dun posted:

Not even a little bit.

This is dumb and someone not knowing much about stutters but deciding they can diagnose them.

Fluency is LITERALLY its own test on the most commonly used screening test for dementia in Neurology. It's also part of the MMSE or BIMS which are used more in psych.

There's also several different tests to measure speech and fluency included in neurocognitive exams, but they're different based on the training of the person administering them, what state boards want, and they change all the time based on the suggestions of the ANA.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Acebuckeye13 posted:

clearly you didn't Google very hard because it's a very commonly known fact about Joe Biden. This article from 2007 literally starts with the sentence "Sen. Joe Biden (D-DE) stuttered badly as a child"

Well gently caress me id never seen that.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

How do the two life threatening brain aneurysms Biden suffered in 1988 play into this

Increased risk of CVA happening in the future, though long enough out that risk starts to decline.

possible change in the brain parenchyma that can be exacerbated during atrophy that occurs normally secondary to aging.

Increased risk of seizure.

Xiahou Dun posted:

You are also glossing over that there are many distinct kinds of aphasia and most of them aren't caused by general cognitive decline. Speech problems can be a symptom of cognitive decline, yes, but most speech problems aren't. Like how Wernicke's aphasia specifically targets language comprehension and not much else. This is basic linguistics 101 poo poo and why neurolinguistics as a field exists.

I am clearly talking about symptom presentation in a politician who has had a noticeable decline in language ability and processing speed. I am freely admitting i hadn’t known the stutter was brought up in 2007 and am owning that.

quote:

Biden's gaffes are textbook stuttering and you just did a big thing because you don't know how stutters work while someone with one (KChama) and someone who actually has studied this a lot (me) were telling you were you wrong and should read.

I’ve said nothing about the neuro linguistic etiology of a stutter and have flatly said I am not an ST.

You are conflating me responding to a poster asking if fluency is a part of a cognitive exam (which it is as evidenced above) and just talking about other things as if I’m saying Biden has all of those. He does not.

Maybe you and I are taking past one another.

FizFashizzle fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Feb 10, 2024

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Xiahou Dun posted:

No, you are confounding symptoms (disfluency) with causes. There are tests for cognitive decline that use language as a diagnostic, yes,.[/i]

This was the point I was trying to make and if I was not clear I apologize.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Congrats to Mayorkas for surviving his impeachment

https://x.com/ronfilipkowski/status/1757900899261821279?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Granting civil immunity to doctors of any kind is actually a Huge loving Deal and something that is strongly opposed by medical malpractice insurance providers. I don’t have any articles about this but I’ve heard even the AMA is against it because the threat of malpractice is used to drive up (surgeon) salaries. Also anesthesiologists I guess.

Funny this happened in a state that ruled caps on malpractice damages were unconstitutional. I’m not sure the Alabama legislature understands the can of worms they’re opening here.

Neodymium posted:

We'll see what happens but I think that healthcare workers will be rattled enough to want more than 'we'll look the other way as long as there's no accidents'.

That’s basically what working for an HCA hospital is right now

FizFashizzle fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Feb 29, 2024

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

This particular law is fairly limited immunity that only applies legitimate IVF procedures that lead to death or damage to an embryo. They can still be sued for negligence or malpractice to actual humans.

/Lawyer for a surgeon with Dr James Andrews’ group who just had a 75 year old patient die during an elective shoulder procedure-ishly

“If an embryo is a life, then….”

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

haveblue posted:

Can I get SNAP benefits for my embryos?

lol you can barely get WIC for your children in Alabama.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Grats. I peaked at a couple liters of liquor a week. Quitting sucked. Then the pandemic hit and I had to raw dog reality lol.

I was drinking a handle of Tito’s every four or five days in grad school.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Feel bad for the winery tour she takes her anguish out on.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Big win against “no preference.”

https://x.com/kylegriffin1/status/1765176744774877324?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

She won Vermont.

There are no mountains left to climb.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah apperently they have been doing badly since the jerry fallwell the elder ghoul died and the younger one just hosed around and did gross stuff and let it go to even more poo poo. maybe it will shutdown.

It’s not just going to shut down.

It has a listed enrollment of close to 50k. Even if they’re all remote that’s still a ton of people and money.

Little homeschooled religious eichmanns have to get their business degrees from somewhere.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

zoux posted:

The NYT asks, who is this firey outsider (who is also the sitting Lt. Gov. )

Economic anxiety!

Not an anti semite! Out of context!

Well, maybe a little anti-semite.

From slate:

Firebrand!

fwiw Lt Governor in NC is a nothing position without any actual power.

Roy Cooper won reelection in 2020 even as the state went to Trump.

This idiot is going to get dog walked.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

zoux posted:

Josh Stein is pretty popular then?

He’s made all the right moves political to be a middle of the road, bland, white guy democrat. He also worked with cooper who is insanely popular and will presumably be campaigning for him. He’s received a gift running against this lunatic. Gonna be interesting to see how a Jewish guy runs against someone who thinks the Holocaust was a hoax.

And who also wants to overturn the 19th amendment.

https://x.com/jbendery/status/1765494719772033443?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

This guy got Facebook famous for saying the craziest poo poo he could and there’s going to be tons more coming out as the election draws near.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

The clancychat analysis would be Biden knows Israel will eventually strike the base and give him the cover he needs to demand a ceasefire.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

zoux posted:

Oh and the GOP SotU response remains undefeated in strangling the political career of a young “rising star” in the party

https://twitter.com/andrewperezdc/status/1765959063685218649

The kitchen setting approaches Marenghiesque levels of textual courage.

This feels like someone saw Kerry on Succession trying to do reporting and considered it aspirational.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Hard to visualize the most likely scenario where Jill Stein wins an election - maybe if Trump and Biden are both caught, on camera, committing heinous crimes? Probably not even then.

Trump literally stole and hid state secrets to impress car dealership owners, admitted it, and stored them in a side bathroom or unlocked shed.

I can find daily footage of a heinous crime Biden is facilitating.

Hard to imagine any crime would matter at this point.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Lmao some big Texan dentist GOP donor probably tried to get Abbott. He refused but “hey Kristi might be interested let me shoot you her number.”

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

zoux posted:

Let's ask the most popular democrat on the platform

https://twitter.com/JeffJacksonNC/status/1767936238625984739

This guy is the most popular democrat?

What is it with the Dems and milquetoast white guys from North Carolina who look like they are going to cheat on their wives every chance they get?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Automata 10 Pack posted:

when has getting hit in the brain constantly lead to an improved personality?

mike tyson?

Probably less repeated head trauma and more pharmacologic and therapeutic interventions.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Additionally, the new definition for "high-speed" internet is now 100 mbps download speed. The previous definition was 25 mbps. Companies can no longer advertise "high-speed" internet if their speeds are lower than 100 mbps. Additionally, ISPs are now ineligible for any government grants or programs for providing high-speed internet unless they provide a minimum of 100 mbps download speeds to all of their customers.

This is a huge thing around where I live, where there still isn't full access to land line internet. All the ISPs were lobbying Mark Meadows to get the definition of High Speed internet down to something really lovely so they could get government subsidies to tie a string between houses or whatever. Madison Cawthorn was taking over this initiative before he decided his time in congress was best spent blasting lines and humping his best friend.

I'm sure I don't need to tell most of the people on SA this but the modern internet is barely usable with low speed internet.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

If the rest of the GOP caucus hates MTG, would they back kicking her out? Her district is safe red, so they maybe could get lucky with a more generic Republican

She’ll win any primary because the crazies love her and they’ve shown they’ll make lives miserable against anyone that runs against her.

Atlanta hasn’t grown big enough yet to consume it and there not a district it makes sense to add in/give to to weaken her power.

They’re stuck with her until she finally drops a slur that can’t be ignored.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

"Can't believe Joe Biden supports loving the flag at the Betsy Ross museum!"

- Donald Trump, soon

edit*

vvvvv

The "Plane on a Treadmill" question will rise again.

FizFashizzle fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Mar 26, 2024

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Bar Ran Dun posted:

So I haven’t seen it in this thread, but if one read the NYTs article one might have seen a mention of it.

There is a public free website for checking vessel port state control results. It’s called equasis. I used to use it occasionally when I did flag state work. Anyway when crap happens with a vessel like this one can check what deficiencies the vessel has had previously and get vessel particulars from the site. Separate from this incident one can use it to check out cruise ships if one is booking a cruise (don’t take cruises).

Morbid curiosity, and not like I’d ever go on one, but what are your reasons to dodge cruises?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

A pizza joint in Atlanta called Amaza opened with these cool branded beer glasses that were shaped like a can and frosted over with the PBR logo. They were cool as hell.

Within the first week they’d all be stolen. When the staff realized what was happening they made sure to get one too.

I lost mine in a move. Every now and then you’ll go to someone’s house and see one and be like “ahhh you got one too, huh?”

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

From the JAMA study…

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/article-abstract/2816533

quote:

Findings In this exploratory study that included 86 participants reporting AHIs and 30 vocationally matched control participants, there were no significant differences in most tests of auditory, vestibular, cognitive, visual function, or blood biomarkers between the groups. Participants with AHIs performed significantly worse on self-reported and objective measures of balance, and had significantly increased symptoms of fatigue, posttraumatic stress disorder, and depression compared with the control participants; 24 participants (28%) with AHIs presented with functional neurological disorders.

quote:

Main Outcomes and Measures Participants were assessed with extensive clinical, auditory, vestibular, balance, visual, neuropsychological, and blood biomarkers (glial fibrillary acidic protein and neurofilament light) testing. The patients were analyzed based on the risk characteristics of the AHI identifying concerning cases as well as geographic location.

GFAP is a marker that shows how good the glial cells and brood brain barrier are doing. I’ve never even ordered it. NFL is associated with a bunch of neuro conditions but is not specific or really useful at all.

What this means is that their full neuropsych battery, vestibular cochlear testing, neuro ophthalmology testing, and clinical neuro test was normal. Self reported symptoms were higher. 24% were diagnosed with a functional neurological condition which means on exam, it could be disproven.

Neuro has a lot of nifty little tests to evaluate certain symptoms. Not related but for example if you suspect someone is faking a seizure, you can hold a mirror in front of their eye. If they’re faking they will look at themselves.

They also had a full imaging workup that was unremarkable.

There is nothing concrete there.

ENT would treat her inner ear problems, generally not neurosurgery, though their duties overlap in some places.

There are also neuro specific ENTs but there aren’t a lot of them. Only one I know of off the top of my head is at Emory

FizFashizzle fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Apr 1, 2024

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Charliegrs posted:

I think you mean "everything below this" is wacky conspiracy theory.

Israel is pretty clearly using hunger and starvation as a weapon against the civilian population. They’ve used resource deprivation since I’ve been old enough to pay attention to the conflict.

The United States sending in the means to bypass this against a nation that has repeatedly and intentionally launched strikes against neutral or even allied observers.

Where in the conspiracy theory here? Either Israel lets the US feed the people it’s trying to starve or it tries to stop the US from doing so.

Alternate possibility is the pier is built and Biden announces it has brought bibi to the negotiating table or something like that and nothing ends up changing.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Kith posted:

thread title imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qozwEjRoUbg

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Gotta think if Trump is seriously considering hurting out the Comstock Act to ban abortion, he’s planning on using the ensuing chaos to use the Insurrection Act.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Bird in a Blender posted:

Digging in a little further on that report, the big drivers seem to be increases in lung disease, heart disease, and substance abuse (drugs and alcohol). For women, pregnancy complications are also a big outlier. A lot of it really boils down to poor access to healthcare, poor environmental conditions, and rural areas just being poorer overall. The report doesn't really get into speculation on causes, just reporting the numbers. The one bright spot for rural areas compared to metro is HIV related deaths are way lower than metro areas. Then you look at hepatitis and see that rural areas went from being lower than metro areas in 2000 to way worse in 2017.

This table took me a minute to parse, but this is the percent difference for rural areas vs. metro areas by disease. So for rural females, Brain Vascular deaths in 2017-2019 were 53% worse than for metro females.

Things like Septicemia to me are just poor access to healthcare. Kidney, and liver disease sounds like substance abuse, and lung disease is either environmental or a lot more smoking, probably a bit of both.

vascular deaths would be due to the decline in primary care services, and people not getting on OAC/plavix/ASA and getting their cholesterol under control in time.

Kidney is most likely hypertension not related to drug use. Rhabo from people passing out from fent happens, but not enough to overcome stuff like hypertension. If someone is doing enough meth to blow out their kidneys, they're going to stroke out or have a heart attack first.

I really can't overstate how dire rural healthcare is in this country. I did a rotation in Jamestown, Tennessee which is in the poorest county in america with a population over 30k. The only money coming into the town was medicare/medicaid/SS, both through the residents and the people working in home health which was really the only jobs. Most of the town's budget went to maintaining the rural hospital that had been closed for multiple years. Buildings like that cost a fortune just to keep in working condition, and they did it with the hopes that someone would buy it and reopen it. the closest hospital was in crossville about an hour away, so if you had a heart attack you were basically hosed.

We tested almost every patient that came through for lyme disease as part of their workup for whatever else, because that was an easy way to get on state benefits in tennessee.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Bar Ran Dun posted:

James Loux is east of Malta now. No change in the courses of the vessels headed to Gaza to build / use a JLOTS pier.

Do you know anything about shipping insurance rates skyrocketing could have the same impact as shutting down the straits militarily?

Thwt was an old cefte theory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Thomas most likely didn't skip the opening arguments because he is unexpectedly dying, so it is all kind of moot.

Can't believe he actually took John Oliver's offer.