Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the greatest love story in video games?
This poll is closed.
Tidus & Yuna (Final Fantasy X) 14 7.37%
Wakka & Lulu (Final Fantasy X) 8 4.21%
Wakka & Yuna (Final Fantasy X) 1 0.53%
Lulu & Rikku (Final Fantasy X) 13 6.84%
Rikku & Tidus (Final Fantasy X) 3 1.58%
Kimahri & Yuna (Final Fantasy X) 2 1.05%
Tidus & Ifrit (Final Fantasy X) 16 8.42%
Yuna & Rikku (Final Fantasy X) 16 8.42%
Wakka & Wakka (Final Fantasy X) 70 36.84%
Auron & Kimahri (Final Fantasy X) 23 12.11%
Kimahri & Tidus (Final Fantasy X) 15 7.89%
Yuna & Tidus (Final Fantasy X) 9 4.74%
Total: 190 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Zokari posted:

their decision to pronounce tidus in the most insane way while also ensuring no one ever actually says his name was truly inspired

what is it fuckin' Teedus or something

not really surprised after Tigrex tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zokari posted:

their decision to pronounce tidus in the most insane way while also ensuring no one ever actually says his name was truly inspired

It's based on an Okanawan word meaning Sun, just like Yuna's is based on Moon. It resembling the English word Tide is just one of those things.

(It probably actually should be Tida/Tiida but a trailer guy mispronounced the name and so they stuck with it according to Tidus' voice actor. So it's the result of a mistranslation but the mistranslation is the "Us" part, not the Teeda part.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Feb 1, 2024

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
It's pronounced Feenal Fantasy

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Infinitum posted:

Super Hot x Sniper Elite
Kill and redirect the bullet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqHQDRqzxlQ

that looks real cool

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I don't want to jinx it but Devolver might be an actually good publisher???

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Oh yeah how did the silent hill tv video game thing go down? Is that finished?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I am excited for ff7r2

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Jay Rust posted:

Still going on and they're selling merch that's destined for some lootbox service

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

fridge corn posted:

I am excited for ff7r2

i should start putting in some hours to get it FF7R finished up before that comes out, i kept getting sidetracked due to sidequest brain and getting bored

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

fridge corn posted:

I am excited for ff7r2

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Vermain posted:

i should start putting in some hours to get it FF7R finished up before that comes out, i kept getting sidetracked due to sidequest brain and getting bored

If you mostly skip the sidequests, then FF7R is not a long game at all. Like around 21 - 24 hours.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

just 1 day of your life

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

What's not short is Infinite Wealth. Like even if you just focus on the storyline, you're looking at 60+ hours. That's not the longest, that would belong to like Persona 5 or Witcher 3, but its still pretty nuts. A lot of it too is very long cutscenes, but the cutscenes in Infinite Wealth are great.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

How did the Animal Crossing Island turn out in Infinite Wealth?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Jay Rust posted:

its supposed to run for 8 months
and then 8 more months of reruns where you can vote for different options the second time around

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Electric Phantasm posted:

I unlocked it last night and it’s very fun, I’m shocked at the amount of detail they put into it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I liked it, but I never played any actual Animals Crossing so I don't know how it compares

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It's really not Animal Crossing in my opinion. I guess there are some similarities, but it didn't exactly feel like that is what Sega was looking to parody. But to actually answer your question, everyone seems to consider it the best part of the game and finds it really addictive. I got there myself, but want to return to it later, like post-game and then really focus on it.

But yeah, the island, and pokemon parody, are completely insane. Just the level of detail and how much content is there between these two modes is wild. There was no reason to go this hard, but the devs did and I really appreciate that. These are not like minor side things, they could be full on games themselves.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

The voice acting for FFX is fascinating given nobody knew how to translate JP voice acting to english on a major production like that yet.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Feldegast42 posted:

The voice acting for FFX is fascinating given nobody knew how to translate JP voice acting to english on a major production like that yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H47ow4_Cmk0

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

was FFX the last mainline ff game that let you rename the main characters?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

XIV

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

What's the Warrior of Light's canon name

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Feldegast42 posted:

meteor survivor

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Feldegast42 posted:

they call the dude who appears in all the cinematics "Meteor," although i dunno if that's a fan nickname they adopted or something they came up with internally

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Feldegast42 posted:

Jeff

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Feldegast42 posted:

Wol

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Whiteguy Warriorman

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

Whiteguy Warriorman

please. he's canonically a "Viper" now

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Hot Topic

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

no that's a different character

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Feldegast42 posted:

MY rear end

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

CharlestonJew posted:

I unlocked it last night and it’s very fun, I’m shocked at the amount of detail they put into it.

Hwurmp posted:

I liked it, but I never played any actual Animals Crossing so I don't know how it compares

I said come in! posted:

It's really not Animal Crossing in my opinion. I guess there are some similarities, but it didn't exactly feel like that is what Sega was looking to parody. But to actually answer your question, everyone seems to consider it the best part of the game and finds it really addictive. I got there myself, but want to return to it later, like post-game and then really focus on it.

But yeah, the island, and pokemon parody, are completely insane. Just the level of detail and how much content is there between these two modes is wild. There was no reason to go this hard, but the devs did and I really appreciate that. These are not like minor side things, they could be full on games themselves.

Thanks for the responses. Something about these life sims are very soothing and it's cool they went hard on it instead of it being like some one off joke or something.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Feldegast42 posted:

Xivier

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
His name is pronounced clod

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Vermain posted:

they call the dude who appears in all the cinematics "Meteor," although i dunno if that's a fan nickname they adopted or something they came up with internally

it's because when the original FFXIV 1.0 was down and before A Realm Reborn launched they made a recap video of the story (or maybe just the world-is-ending shutdown event?) and the player character in that video was named Meteor Survivor.

The meteor he survived is of course the Garlean Empire's "Project Meteor" which was the main driving force of the FFXIV 1.0 storyline afaik? Their plan was to drop the ancient cyber-moon Dalamud to the earth as a WMD and at the very end of the game they actually succeeded but in the process everything got all hosed up and it turned out it was an ancient prison for Bahamut who got out and destroyed the world and that's why the previous MMO is shut down now.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Feb 1, 2024

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

"I'm a meteor survivor. We're a dying breed."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vermain posted:

no that's a different character

Please don't bully my sad lesbian daughter.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

mall goth aesthetic is ftw, although whether it outlives the mall is another question entirely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Vermain posted:

mall goth aesthetic is ftw

:haibrower: