Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the greatest love story in video games?
This poll is closed.
Tidus & Yuna (Final Fantasy X) 14 7.37%
Wakka & Lulu (Final Fantasy X) 8 4.21%
Wakka & Yuna (Final Fantasy X) 1 0.53%
Lulu & Rikku (Final Fantasy X) 13 6.84%
Rikku & Tidus (Final Fantasy X) 3 1.58%
Kimahri & Yuna (Final Fantasy X) 2 1.05%
Tidus & Ifrit (Final Fantasy X) 16 8.42%
Yuna & Rikku (Final Fantasy X) 16 8.42%
Wakka & Wakka (Final Fantasy X) 70 36.84%
Auron & Kimahri (Final Fantasy X) 23 12.11%
Kimahri & Tidus (Final Fantasy X) 15 7.89%
Yuna & Tidus (Final Fantasy X) 9 4.74%
Total: 190 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

It's because everyone in this thread sucks

Yeah but... this thread is rated lower than the games industry thread??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

We really suck

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Actually everyone in this thread rules.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jay Rust posted:

Yeah but... this thread is rated lower than the games industry thread??

That's right

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

HopperUK posted:

Thank you

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

HopperUK posted:

I don't appreciate you lying. I post in this thread so that can't be true.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Maybe if the thread title had been better at the beginning g of the month!!!!

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

HopperUK posted:

Not me!

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

mutata posted:

Ew, take this poo poo to E/N

Edit: you mean Microsoft World of Warcraft 24?

You mean MS Word of Warcraft 365? The game set in Azure-oth?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Mr Hootington posted:

Why does it need that many people?

It's a publisher that owns a shitload of small studios. Presumably they're taking them all with them, including Aspyr and Zen.

Wikipedia says Embracer purchased them for $525m - so I hope that means they made a slight loss overall.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Infinitum posted:

You can buy a peacock mount with the free ingame currency in March

It'll cost you 750 tendies out of the 1000 you can earn for the month

the freakin chicken tender market is going to make me keep my sub active for far longer than I would ever want to they got me

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

MixMasterMalaria posted:

You mean MS Word of Warcraft 365? The game set in Azure-oth?

god drat it lol

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

AngryBooch posted:

The KOTOR Remake... lives?

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1763239504897253797

Also holy poo poo, Saber is big.

those private investors are going to strangle that company to death and lay off everyone to line their own pockets

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Amp posted:

been playing a lot of small indie mmorpg "world of warcraft" lately

it's been a while since i've seen someone refer to it as anything besides wow so actually seeing the full title weirded me out, like my subconscious brain tried associating it with minecraft

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Apparently Gearbox is also close to being sold off

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Waffleman_ posted:

Apparently Gearbox is also close to being sold off

I'll believe it when I see it, given Embracer have supposedly been looking to sell it for ages but they want $2bn for it so no-one's willing to buy.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Dabir posted:

those private investors are going to strangle that company to death and lay off everyone to line their own pockets

Probably eventually, but this seems better than the alternative (everyone gets fired immediately and Embracer keeps the studio name and IP to hock to someone else later)

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Apparently multiple games with online components are hardlocking today because the servers aren't handling Leap Day well lmao?

Edit: theatrhythm was mentioned, also this

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

lol yep happy leap day everybody

https://twitter.com/Regulus_Tera/status/1763042465622130905

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Y2K finally happened.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

:actually:

so what feat of executive stupidity caused this to only start happening now, or have we just never heard about it before

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It’s been 4 years since the last Feb 29

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Hwurmp posted:

:actually:

so what feat of executive stupidity caused this to only start happening now, or have we just never heard about it before

It happens every 4 years and it's always funny. The PS3 stopped working one year because Sony hard coded the wrong dates for leap years into it so it thought March 1st was February 29th.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Mr Hootington posted:

Maybe if the thread title had been better at the beginning g of the month!!!!

Hoverkitty brings happiness and contentment to all if you allow her into your heart.

            
May you and all find enjoyment in Hoverkitty and the Hoverkitty extended universe.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Apparently multiple games with online components are hardlocking today because the servers aren't handling Leap Day well lmao?

Edit: theatrhythm was mentioned, also this

Happy tech debt day!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technical_debt

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Video games are the equivalent of slightly polished rough drafts nowadays

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

I mean honestly not really if you're trying to compare them to older games. Newer games are more complex and have more places to break but older games still had problems out the wazoo, from mechanics not working right to things freezing, to basically being unfinishable. Things like this stand out now because they're rarer while in the old days you had Sega putting "beware of Dr. Robotnik's Speed Traps" into the Sonic manual because they couldn't assure Sonic running fast wouldn't clip his rear end into a wall.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

as a developer the first thing you should learn is not date time objects but rather how to make things someone else's problem

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ImpAtom posted:

I mean honestly not really if you're trying to compare them to older games. Newer games are more complex and have more places to break but older games still had problems out the wazoo, from mechanics not working right to things freezing, to basically being unfinishable. Things like this stand out now because they're rarer while in the old days you had Sega putting "beware of Dr. Robotnik's Speed Traps" into the Sonic manual because they couldn't assure Sonic running fast wouldn't clip his rear end into a wall.

Didn't some old game have a warning in the manual that sometimes the villain would cast a spell so evil it destroys the universe because they knew the game would do random save corruption?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

https://www.toysforbob.com/blog/2024/WereGoingIndie

Toys for Bob going independent.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Older games seem to have way more speed running exploits and glitches

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

haveblue posted:

Didn't some old game have a warning in the manual that sometimes the villain would cast a spell so evil it destroys the universe because they knew the game would do random save corruption?

never heard of that one; just the Pool of Radiance game that would wipe your hard drive if you tried to uninstall it and it was installed anywhere but the default directory

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Shinjobi posted:

Speaking professionally it's the other way round, date problems almost always happen because some smartass decided they were clever enough to code their own very elaborate and supposedly clever solution instead of just using the time-tested (hohoho) existing ones.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Hopefully Toys for Bob can finally make a proper followup to Little Witching Mischiefs.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

gently caress yeah

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
How does that work? Did they buy themselves from Microsoft or something? Or are they just doing their own thing within the Microsoft ecosystem like Obsidian

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Chev posted:

Speaking professionally it's the other way round, date problems almost always happen because some smartass decided they were clever enough to code their own very elaborate and supposedly clever solution instead of just using the time-tested (hohoho) existing ones.

It's very much this, while the Gregorian calendar is a piece of poo poo it's also a solved problem. I'm also guessing that console game development circles as a whole don't have the focus and institutional knowledge on dealing with calendar problems that my circle (web devel) does. That means that dumb things have more of a chance to fall through the cracks.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

I don't fault square for this. They probably thought it would be shut down by now.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

External Organs posted:

How does that work? Did they buy themselves from Microsoft or something? Or are they just doing their own thing within the Microsoft ecosystem like Obsidian

They're not within Microsoft, and I'm assuming MS let them because it helps get the FTC off their rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Chev posted:

Yeah i guess this is a better take. It's all anecdotal on my end since I abandoned the coding path long ago, but my friends who stuck with it every so often regale me with stories of "geniuses" who reinvent the wheel for reasons beyond anyone's understanding.