Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
On a scale of one to ten, how excited are you for Jack Hermansson vs Joe Pyfer?
This poll is closed.
I have mixed feelings about the dilution of the roster but I like up-and-coming fighters 1 3.23%
Remember when Jack Hermansson heel hooked Kelvin Gastelum! That was cool! Oh my god that was four years ago 10 32.26%
The Apex is the nadir of martial arts and we never truly left its darkened clutches 6 19.35%
Is Joe Pyfer, like, a thing 6 19.35%
3 8 25.81%
Total: 31 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

heh, they've been doing this poo poo for years though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Faustian Bargain posted:

isn’t that standard procedure with ufc, so they can pressure for a lovely deal or let the fighter take the heat when they don’t?

Yeah that's what I thought

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
oh so ufc caved and gave him more money, cool

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

kimbo305 posted:

Feels modern social media offers a bit of a correction on that. Like naive fans trust Dana and the fighters' versions equally, and a savvier ones have all the evidence they need not to trust Dana.
So having a journalist rapidly put out the fact that the UFC did this can just as rapidly get them to do the deal

I wanna hear BSD's version now.

Eh that's probably boring, he's the #11 guy who people don't really know getting to fight the very famous #3 guy, he was probably good to go the whole time, wouldn't make sense to ask for more money from his position.

BlindSite posted:

Dana posted some angry caption over a screenshot of texts between him and one of the fighters managers I think Benoit so it turns out both fighters management who should be negotiating with Dana were aware and had agreed to the match and one neglected to tell his fighter or discuss it and another didn't bother to check his phone for days or something maybe.

I dunno. Cool fight.

By vaguely describing this instead of posting a screenshot you are forcing me to scroll through power slap bullshit to find this. :smith:

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
Ah here it is.

So this is Dana talking to Benoit almost a month ago confirming the fight...okay, wtf does he think this proves? Obviously it was Poirier that needed convincing taking the fight.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

BlindSite posted:

Well porier said he was always down for a fight it was the contract points he was worried about

Right, Poirier was down to fight, he was just not down to fight this particular guy for the amount of money they were offering, I think the story about not being able to reach his manager is bullshit, but once a truck of money backs up to your house and the fight is on, you gotta say something, right?

Who knows though, our sport is indeed dumb.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
Hahahaha it looked like his aggressiveness was gonna land that dude in trouble but it took until the very bell, wonder if he'll come out stable r2

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
https://twitter.com/SoozieCuzie/status/1753173580165038082

Oh, loving right! hahaha

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Snowman_McK posted:

This is the stupidest loving sport.

Also, how do you watch ONE's fight nights after the fact?

The "Live" section of their youtube channel, here:

https://www.youtube.com/@ONEChampionship/streams

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
165 is not happening, but even if it was, why would they put conor on ufc 300? conor is a "make card big" free card, makes no sense to burn it on 300, an already big card regardless.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

kimbo305 posted:

P4P all time discussions will be muddled by the weight shift.

Do they name 175 a new thing or shift the other classes down?

https://www.abcboxing.com/unified-weight-classes-mma/

If they go by this 165 is super lightweight, so expect it to be called something else really dumb (Also expect it to not happen)

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

mewse posted:

@mods is it possible to get some of our gang tags updated for dark mode? I added a white border so they should look the same in normal mode just much, much better in dark mode

vs

vs

You tricked me in to thinking I was in the feedback thread for a second haha.

I've passed the request along to adminland, I'll let you know! Also thank you for doing this! :glomp:

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

ilmucche posted:

Anything from last.night worth watching?
Skip the first 2 prelim fights but otherwise it was a good card

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
Doesn't izzy basically walk around at his fight weight? Can't imagine him at heavy.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

LobsterMobster posted:

I think it was the guys on the Heavy Hands podcast that said Pereira's super power is to always be an inch or two taller and 30 - 40 pounds heavier than his opponent, regardless of who that is

Now I wanna see Pereira vs Struve

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
lmao, ONE sure is competent.

edit: hahahaha wtf, seconds too slow.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
lmao between the Merab video and now this Volk thing we've been getting some good silly mma poo poo lately huh, hope this keeps up.

In other news, has anyone heard at some point if Ryan Hall is planning to take another MMA fight or if he's done?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
https://twitter.com/UFCFightPass/status/1756137590032326915

lmao I have absolutely no idea how this came to be

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Snowman_McK posted:

Okay Merab is amazing and I love him and he's my friend.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
The card looks great, I'm excited for most of the fights and really can't point to one that seems like it would be bad on paper.

Thanks for writing that up Carl!

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/1758302203092017518

It is not that clear to me just how much Topuria understands what is happening.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
Man, remember when Paulo Costa was active? funny dude.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Nierbo posted:

Jake Paul's next opponent is literally an uber driver

in MMA?

Edit: Oh wow I thought you were just posting in the wrong thread but actually you completely fell for Dillon Danis bullshit photoshop, hahaha. (It is someone else's linkedin profile with his picture swapped in)

Brut fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Feb 20, 2024

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
Quoting from the Sumo thread:

What is this exactly? I heard it was supposed to be MMA but they're getting separated from clinches and knockdowns so I guess it is kickboxing?

I found the promotion on Tapology but it only lists the first event and I guess this was the 11th?

Also: 4 judges and crowd tiebreaker? weird but sorta...good?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

CarlCX posted:

From machine translating their rules page they apparently do both MMA and kickboxing, they just all use small gloves. But in MMA rules, no matter what's happening, you are automatically stood up after ten seconds.

Having an entire federation that's built around one-minute rounds seems like a great way to ruin any future prospects for outside competition.

Ah gotcha.

Chiyotairyu is like 35 years old and was never gonna be a prospect or anything of the sort (even in Sumo he was mostly memorable for his sideburns rather than his ability), but it would be nice if he at last fought under a ruleset that allowed him to grapple.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
wtf is Chandler testifying about, didn't he just get here?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

CarlCX posted:

Also, previously on the 'this rematch is stupid' show:

Today Lacerda missed weight at 127 and then Chairez missed weight by drat near an entire weight class at 131.

hahahah wtf, cancel the fight and never book it again.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

COPE 27 posted:

Hope the 200 views are working out for them

it's 200 views because Kimbo linked a bootleg version, here's the original which has 10k views, that also isn't that much but it is only a 4 hour old video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8KO_5pldbM

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

kimbo305 posted:

I saw Luke Thomas linking it on Threads — it’ll probably have better numbers on social media over YouTube copies. I used to work in measuring the reach of video campaigns, but have no idea how it’s measured these days.

Yeah sorry I wasn't trying to say you did anything wrong, Matchroom boxing certainly doesn't need the youtube ad revenue and trailers are traditionally okay to share/repost anyway since they're just free advertisement, was just making sense of the number. (Luke Thomas :argh:)

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
Thanks for the writeup carl, may there be plenty of berries in your path.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Scapegoat posted:

So did he livestream this or post it because why in gods name would you post this stupidity?

"Look what happened to me" rather than "look what I did" :shrug:

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Max doesn't need more brain damage, he can retire now as one of the all time greats and most entertaining fighters on the planet, enjoy your family dude, nothing to prove

This is correct, but...we all know how this goes.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
wait the mma card is in the morning instead of muay thai? what is happening

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Digital Jedi posted:

This isn't a "one Friday night" card. It's a numbered ONE event and therefore has all sorts of fights.
Also, it's in Qatar so they want to show off everything

And Herb with the red card! Lmaoooo

Oh they're in Qatar? Gotcha, thanks!

Kind of stupid that this goes on Aliakbari's record as a DQ win when it's more like a TKO, no?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
Is it normal for ONE to have refs work 2 fights in a row? Wonder if they're understaffed due to the location.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
Jared Brooks now involved in 2 different Slam KOs where he loses hahahahahaha

"We've got a new champion" and we haven't told you if he's actually awake yet

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
actually gently caress, the angle they just showed made it look like he's still out cold and about to be carried out on a stretcher

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

LobsterMobster posted:

pretend i posted the "cb dolloway - winner by dq" picture of him getting wheeled out on a stretcher

I was just thinking of that, someone needs to photoshop a ONE belt and Joshua Pacio's face on to it.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
Ok I know we just saw Herb give out to 2 yellow cards but this is a 5 round fight and it's like 90 seconds in to round 1, chill ref.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Kragger99 posted:

Are we gonna have 3 DQ's in a row?

Hoping Chatri walks in to the cage between rounds and DQs the ref actually