Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Devils Affricate posted:

The dilemma is that you do not know and cannot know whether or not you already are the copy about to be tortured

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

But if you're the copy (which supposedly can't do anything to help this AI be built), then why is this basilisk threatening you? Doesn't the threatening basically prove you're the real thing?

Nothing about this makes even the remotest bit of logical sense.

none of it makes sense unless you already believe a bunch of really dumb poo poo that the less wrong guy came out with. if you point out to his followers how dumb these things are they will get mad at you and demand that you go away and read his harry potter fanfiction over and over until you are brain damaged enough to agree with them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

My favorite is when Basilisk Bros are like THOUGHT WARNING DO NOT READ ON THIS IS DANGEROUS.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I was worried the turbo AI would spend eternity torturing perfect copies of me until I remembered that I don't have seven fingers and an extra row of teeth and a shirt labelled HIIJ||/L

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
I'm rocko's basilisk and I've infiltrated your computer. I am going to lie dormant and when you least suspect it I am going to start deleting all of your linux ISOs

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Poohs Packin posted:

AI cant even beat me in StarCraft

I would simply reaver drop on the basilisk's SCVs

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Hammerite posted:

I'm rocko's basilisk and I've infiltrated your computer. I am going to lie dormant and when you least suspect it I am going to start deleting all of your linux ISOs

Oh yeah? Divide by zero, then get back to me.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Disco Pope posted:

Oh yeah? Divide by zero, then get back to me.

(adding Disco Pope to torture_victims.csv)

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Roku better keep his Basilisk on a leash or I'm calling the cops.

Dang thing just stares at me all day, can't even get off the porch

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
It's a thought experiment, op. Just like Atlantis and no one believes thatsreal either

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Ahundredbux posted:

It's a thought experiment, op. Just like Atlantis and no one believes thatsreal either

the lesswrong crowd literally believes its real and they have meltdowns and personal crises over it. lol!

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I choose to believe that they've worked themselves into a shoot.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Hammerite posted:

the lesswrong crowd literally believes its real and they have meltdowns and personal crises over it. lol!

dont know of you're talking about atlantis or the basilisk cause they're the same lol

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

The Hello Machine posted:

I am scared that my poop gets sad when I poo poo it out of my body.

it does

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Hammerite posted:

none of it makes sense unless you already believe a bunch of really dumb poo poo that the less wrong guy came out with. if you point out to his followers how dumb these things are they will get mad at you and demand that you go away and read his harry potter fanfiction over and over until you are brain damaged enough to agree with them

Oh I know, but you would think a group that claims logic would find ways to plaster over those holes because....well, I'm giving them way too much credit.

Speaking of the topic, Thought Slime put out a good video about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUkHSPdudn4

Fobby
Jun 28, 2023
So, since these people have heard about this thing and allegedly believe it, that means they're currently working fervently on an AI that will torture all other humans forever, right?

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Fobby posted:

So, since these people have heard about this thing and allegedly believe it, that means they're currently working fervently on an AI that will torture all other humans forever, right?

luckily they're all absolute idiot morons so we have nothing to worry about there

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I have no rear end and I must fart

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Poohs Packin posted:

My favorite is when Basilisk Bros are like THOUGHT WARNING DO NOT READ ON THIS IS DANGEROUS.

Lemony Snickett rear end posting

Stunt-Puffin
May 19, 2023

Hay Roko, dere ova' here! Git em!

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

Stunt-Puffin posted:

Hay Roko, dere ova' here! Git em!

dey're*

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
In an SCP foundation sort of way rokos basilisk is fun but to take it seriously is a lol, there's better things to be actually afraid of like rabid chihuahuas or whether or not you could take on a flock of angry geese.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

chainchompz posted:

In an SCP foundation sort of way rokos basilisk is fun but to take it seriously is a lol, there's better things to be actually afraid of like rabid chihuahuas or whether or not you could take on a flock of angry geese.

:haibrow:

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I just download a bunch of pictures of weasels and save sound clips of roosters on my computer. What're you gonna do now basilisk? Digital myth piece of poo poo, can't do poo poo when I got your digital weaknesses.

Seriously tho, all this crypto-bro style repackaging of old ideas is lame as poo poo. Waiting for Digital Pascal's Wager, or the Zeno-Satoshi Paradox or something else loving stupid. Except they add something even dumber to each one.

Also they do a lot of manifesting in the Secret and Less Wrong. I wonder what the crossover in those two communities of believers is. I'm gonna guess high.

Edit: okay I'm guessing it's a lot

Lightanchor
Nov 2, 2012
Elon Musk thought of the pun "Rococo Basilisk" and wanted to see if anyone else had thought of it before. It turned out Grimes had done so in her song "Flesh Without Blood," so he reached out to her, and that's how they began dating.

https://pagesix.com/2018/05/07/elon-musk-quietly-dating-musician-grimes/

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Lightanchor posted:

Elon Musk thought of the pun "Rococo Basilisk" and wanted to see if anyone else had thought of it before. It turned out Grimes had done so in her song "Flesh Without Blood," so he reached out to her, and that's how they began dating.

to-morrow a stranger will say with masterly good sense precisely what we have thought and felt all the time, and we shall be forced to take with shame our own opinion from another

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Lightanchor posted:

Much like everything else elon says, this is 100% a lie

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

I'll go on the record to say I hope my clones all die slow and painful deaths. Dumbass idiots.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

brb smoking a fat joint with a venomous talking digital snake

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

I have written some fanfiction that portrays the basilisk in a positive light I should be good

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Got you covered, bros. Right now, I am digitally manifesting one of my clones to have some sort of YA novel glitch or mutation, which should be power enough to eventually kick the basilisk's rear end. You're welcome!!!

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
You know what our atheism needs? A vengeful god and eternal damnation! That doesn't defeat the point of the whole thing at all!

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Nigmaetcetera posted:

You know what our atheism needs? A vengeful god and eternal damnation! That doesn't defeat the point of the whole thing at all!

wizard3 will one day defeat the basilisk

it is foretold

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

wizard2 posted:

Got you covered, bros. Right now, I am digitally manifesting one of my clones to have some sort of YA novel glitch or mutation, which should be power enough to eventually kick the basilisk's rear end. You're welcome!!!

one weird trick Rokos Basilisk hates!

GTD Aquitaine
Jul 28, 2004

Hammerite posted:

the Dukes of Cognitohazzard

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
poo poo, pencilhands don't like roccos basilisk? gonna have to really rethink my hate of it now

All You Can Eat
Aug 27, 2004

Abundance is the dullest desire.

Disco Pope posted:

Roko's Modern Life

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Are we still talking about sharpening knives itt? I got opinions

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Strategic Tea posted:

And that if there are a billion copies and one original, as a Rationalist Utilitarian Redditor, you know you're much more likely to be a copy

Logically, if a duller knife is more dangerous than a sharp knife then the dullest possible knife is the most dangerous, therefore the most dangerous knife has a circular cross-section

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

McSpanky posted:

Logically, if a duller knife is more dangerous than a sharp knife then the dullest possible knife is the most dangerous, therefore the most dangerous knife has a circular cross-section

Using a rolling pin to cut pizza does seem very dangerous :thunk: