Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Software:
I use Lightroom. Learn how to edit in Lightroom. Create and use presets - don't be afraid to take one photo from the session, edit to your liking and create a preset from that and apply it to your whole batch.
Cull in Library mode, not develop mode (this is a surprisingly common mistake)

JPEG or Raw:
Others have mentioned, but if you're looking for low effort post-clicking the shutter button, get a fuji and shoot in film simulations. For my friends group, I'll shoot with 3 fuji film sims on and in jpeg - they don't care about my photos so who gives a poo poo. My concert & wildlife stuff is all shot in raw.

Culling:
Here's my post on culling tips that has been referenced a few times on reddit so I figure it's decent advice:

quote:

I cull three times - the first culling session is only to separate in focus / out of focus and obvious trash shots

The second culling is a rating system - 1* for keeps, 3* for really like, 5* for like "I want to edit this now" - The ratio kept here is nice - for every 5* rated photo, I have maybe 100 1s, and 10ish 3s

Third culling is going through those 1s and 3s and double checked in case there's any 5*s I missed.

I don't delete any 1s unless there's a 3 or 5* in that sequence (like I'm shooting birds at 10 fps - lots of duplicative shots of a bird being completely still - be decisive and delete near duplicates)

Go through little chunks at a time, like a day at a time - let it breathe. Take your time. It's a long process but it should help quell any worries of destroying a keeper.

Another tip I have: If you're shooting specific spots/landmarks ideas - Go backwards through your cull. Often times your first few shots are safety shots - you naturally react and change composition while you work the scene, so it makes sense to maybe grab the 5* at the end of the series first - it'll be easier to delete those first few shots as you were first working the scene knowing you've already found your 5* rated photo that you like a lot.

Also Culling with a Tourbox or even a xbox Controller plugged into your computer also helps - it's a bit more egonomic and helps break up the hand hovering over your numpad or top row of keys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Only thing I would challenge there is the slider 25 rule - I routinely have to knock my highlights down -60 or sometimes -80 at some points.

~ ~ Just Nikon Things ~ ~