Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Lightroom all the way. It's slow and overpriced and Adobe is evil but the tool works and I've been using it too long to consider switching away.

Everyone's gonna have their own culling system but anything I sorta like gets 1 star. Anything I like more from the 1 star batch gets 2 stars and will be processed. Anything that gets processed and I like gets 3 stars and the really good ones get 4 stars for export and uploading. 5 is reserved for the far off day I get a world class photo.

As for getting it right in camera, it's great when it happens but it's totally reasonable to dodge and burn some areas in post to nudge things how you envisioned them. It's a creative hobby, so be creative. Never push a slider past 25, wiggle them until the look makes you happy. 90% of the time all you have to do is change the contrast and lights/shadows to massage away the flat RAW file look.

Beyond that, try editing something and post for feedback. It's much easier to give tips when there's specific questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Without opining on the should-you-take stuff-out-of-images debate, the new AI generate feature in Photoshop is magical for removing objects from a photo. Content aware fill might be able to remove that flower too but it'll be more manual. Adding bokeh would probably be a photoshop task too but it will never look quite right. If you want blur you really ought to do it in camera.

As for blown hilights, once they're gone they're gone. If dragging down the highlights in that area doesn't bring in some detail you're never going to fix it. With a jpeg it's very unlikely there's any data there to recover. If you don't like how it looks mark it as a mistake and move on.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Those sliders are annoying in that the labels make you think they're doing the same thing, but they're not. I've never really found a good technical explanation of the difference but the shadows/highlights sliders at the top feel like a more hamfisted global adjustment while the curves versions are much more targeted at specific bands of the histogram.

Maybe Adobe realizes this now, because LR Mobile has lost the sliders for setting up the curves.