Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
Might I suggest a high-key black and white and a slight crop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

JamesieAB posted:

I have also decided to abandon the swans, I should have taken a better picture.

Nothing wrong with re-taking it, or just keeping that lesson in mind for future shots. :)

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

JamesieAB posted:

Thanks for the suggestion and the secreenshots of the controls! That helps enormously with the learning process.

It's sort of seems counter-intuitive to drop the highlights and whites in the basic panel while boosting them in the curves, but I enjoy trying to find the most balanced histogram from just the basic panel sliders prior to going into the curves. So, finding the proper white point and black point (or closest to that — the whites in this example were overexposed and fully white — but get it dropped just above where it starts to turn grey) and all the zones in between with the sliders first. Then move onto the curves to paint in the light how I want it. I start at the left-hand side (blacks' side) and place a point handle where I want the darkest blacks to be. That way my blacks don't go below that point. Then slowly work to the right by placing new points as I get closer to the whites. Each new point to the right dials in the next zone of grey that I want to paint in. Move that next handle to where the next zone is exposed properly and repeat all the way to the far right (whites).

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
Haven't personally seen that issue with lightroom regarding the histogram. You can click in the histogram in the Blacks / Shadows / Exposure / Highlights / Whites areas and drag left or right to adjust and it will also adjust the sliders. They're the same thing.