Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

biznatchio posted:

Back in 2001 I'd put up a fake CNN webpage with a story about Britney Spears getting killed in a car accident that, with the help of goons, went extremely viral and through a coincidence of factors, ended up making its way onto the actual CNN's list of top stories and the views on the fake story went absolutely bonkers after that. Some news teams tracked me down for interviews about it; but because I had moved a few months prior, the unfortunate souls who lived at my old address got some surprise knocks on the door from reporters too.

This is a very strange question: Was this in any way tied to the Dan and Scott Show?

They used to do a bit called 'Rumor Mill' right around this time where they'd spread fake stories through some goofy pre-social media calling businesses stuff and interrupt their own call by going, "Holy poo poo, are you watching CNN? They've got a story they're playing right now that says Britney Spears was killed in a car wreck."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU