Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

been hearing tell about some kind of tunnel girl? and now bloomberg of all things is up in this mess? what’s the deal with all these tunnels?
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2024-02-03/dig-if-you-will-the-underground-world-of-hobby-tunneling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Dang ngl that’s pretty cool

Whenever I play a multiplayer survival game I’m always the one digging tunnels the entire time like a gremlin

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

Nobody wants to show you their artisan dug tunnels, it's a shame.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

i mean, drat, look at this thing

John has been digging now for 5 years, and his tunnel currently measures in at 10 meters deep and 60 meters long. He’s dug it entirely with hand tools and believes ‘’if I have to exercise to keep healthy, I may as well dig a hole ‘‘. He’d been lowering his raised garden beneath the concrete of his patio to help with drainage and, ‘’well, below ended up being a bit lower than really necessary.’’ The tunnel has several branches and three stairwells leading out, and John has even installed a lift. At one point, the tunnel passes under his pool, so john thought he’d dig down on the pool and add an aquatic skylight. The shimmering light can be seen at the bottom of one of the stairwells giving an eerie wash of colour as you descend 10 meters down. So far he’s had no problems with the local authorities, and his friends and family? They agree he’s dug a ‘big hole’. We asked John just how far he plans to go? ‘’I plan to dig the rest of my life.’’

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

why do they have to put the phrase hobby tunnels in apostrophes like its some fake thing and not real i think thats pretty disrespectful.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

flubber nuts posted:

why do they have to put the phrase hobby tunnels in apostrophes like its some fake thing and not real i think thats pretty disrespectful.

i agree

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
digging a big hole gives me a feeling of boyish glee that can only be described as "I am digging :)"

it's like holding a walkie-talkie or maglite or cutting wood. I can't explain it and I don't want to

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Cubone posted:

digging a big hole gives me a feeling of boyish glee that can only be described as "I am digging :)"

it's like holding a walkie-talkie or maglite or cutting wood. I can't explain it and I don't want to

can you share a picture of your tunnel, or would that get you in trouble with the zoning board?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

when i was a kid the two teenage boys who lived behind us started digging a huge tunnel in their yard and i thought it was very exciting, surely they were going to build some kind of elaborate hideout i could sneak into or better yet their tunnel project would accidentally open up a mysterious cave full of all kinds of monsters and treasures and probably some kind of mining cart system to ride around on like in goonies.

but instead they gave up after a couple months and then it filled up with rainwater and we all had a bad mosquito problem that year and then after that their dad made them fill it back in. and now one of those guys.. is dead (of causes unrelated to the tunnel).

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
He said he wanted to fill my buddy tunnel with cement so no one else could use it

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

TrashMammal posted:

can you share a picture of your tunnel, or would that get you in trouble with the zoning board?
I don't have a tunnel, I just understand

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Tunnel make brain feel good.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
One of these people are going to die doing this.

Not because of the tunnel will cave in or something, but they're going to find out the Hollow Earth theory is real and the government will kill them to keep them silent.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7268826326511930666
:eyepop:

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Brb gonna break the foundation of my house to play unpermitted irl minecraft

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

She used "engineer" in the name despite not being an engineer. Her poor neighbors that had to deal with her bullshit for god knows how long.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
the tunnels are a metaphor, for buttholes

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Quite possibly the only thing worth seeing in Fresno, CA:

https://undergroundgardens.com

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

idiotsavant posted:

the tunnels are a metaphor, for buttholes

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
It's a biological reaction to global warming. As the climate warms up more and more people will start feeling the urge to start burrowing underground.

Sorry to inform you that you're an evolutionary laggard if you aren't already digging tunnels too.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

this man has never seen a tunnel, or butthole, that he didnt love

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

What happened with that secret Jewish tunnel feud in NYC?

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Just watched the great escape btw. What a great secret tunneling movie

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

idiotsavant posted:

this man has never seen a tunnel, or butthole, that he didnt love

but like both he be payin

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

meat police posted:

but like both he be payin

holes opening up left and right for my boy kirk johnson, sant director of the national museum of natural history. he ain’t paying for poo poo

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Worf posted:

Dang ngl that’s pretty cool

Whenever I play a multiplayer survival game I’m always the one digging tunnels the entire time like a gremlin

It's kind of interesting to see what kind of things people focus on in these games because it gives a weird insight into friends that you might not get elsewhere. Like I'll have buddies that run off to the corners of the world to explore or hole making goblins but I'm always compelled to build paths, roads, signage, parks and generally making areas look pretty

Basically if you make a building it's gonna get infrastructure

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Wasn't she shut down by the gov a little while back when she got all the attention and it turned out she's some kinda weird maga sovcit or something?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

What man doesn't yearn to make tunnels? Elaborate tunnels connecting secret rooms and treasure lairs?

I'd be digging tunnels right now, if the land were meant for it. Alas, all is granite and stone.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Taeke posted:

Wasn't she shut down by the gov a little while back when she got all the attention and it turned out she's some kinda weird maga sovcit or something?

the person in that video is a weird person??? the gently caress you say?!

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Thesaurus posted:

Just watched the great escape btw. What a great secret tunneling movie

Movie rules :hai:

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Humans were meant to either live in the trees or dig through the earth, and you gotta pick your allegiances carefully.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I bet there are jewels and stuff right under me, but the only realistic way to get to them would be blasting. Which is a whole different proposition than digging with a pickaxe and shovel.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

meat police posted:

She used "engineer" in the name despite not being an engineer. Her poor neighbors that had to deal with her bullshit for god knows how long.

so she's probably slightly less obnoxious than a real engineer

tehslime
Jun 19, 2023

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

I hit water after digging down a foot and a half. No tunnel fun for me.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Here in the desert, there is purple granite (it has a name, but I forgot what it is) and caliche only a foot below the topsoil. Planting a tree or burying in general takes forever even with a pitch bar and geology hammer.

My mom had her 50 year old gas line replaced in the backyard recently and it took the gas company two and a half days to do it, even with a mini-excavator, jackhammers, and lots of people digging. Poor guys had to repair the main line in the alley when they were done, too because it was showing its age. They pulled out a literal boulder from the ground :stonk:

No tunneling for this weenie dork.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

I yearn to dig deep.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

god yes

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Anyone want to just go dig a really big hole with me? Metal detector preferred but not required.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

with you? no. to you? nearly halfway there already