Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Songbearer posted:

It's kind of interesting to see what kind of things people focus on in these games because it gives a weird insight into friends that you might not get elsewhere. Like I'll have buddies that run off to the corners of the world to explore or hole making goblins but I'm always compelled to build paths, roads, signage, parks and generally making areas look pretty

Basically if you make a building it's gonna get infrastructure

I like to connect all the human made structures and poi with tunnel access

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
As some Chinese philosopher once said, just dig a hole that's deep enough and everybody will want to jump into it.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

meat police posted:

She used "engineer" in the name despite not being an engineer.

Sounds like most people who call themselves engineers tbh.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

if youre out there filling instead of digging holes just know youll have to answer to god someday for your crimes.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

seems like a good way to get arrested, sued, or killed

but I can already do all three of those things easily

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Mr Teatime posted:

Sounds like most people who call themselves engineers tbh.

tbf in my experience this is usually peoples employer forcing a job title on a role

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

cumpantry posted:

with you? no. to you? nearly halfway there already

:shittypop:

Maudib Arakkis
Dec 24, 2023

LEST I GET MORE "OWNED" FOR BEING "STUPID" I WILL SAY THIS IS CATEGORICALLY UNTRUE. IT IS OFTEN PART OF DIAGNOSIS AND STAGING BUT IS ALMOST USELESS FOR TREATMENT.
Tunnelheads on tip

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

lotta tunnel haters out there. had no clue. a whole world of tunnel creators and tunnel destroyers

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

lol @ the wall blowout near the end, I'm sure that arch is going to hold up great

The last paragraph of the article sums up my feelings on the whole thing:

quote:

While Dix strongly discourages hobby tunneling, he said that people should at least first look up their area’s codes of practice for mine work, which covers safety basics like structural support, ventilation and emergency evacuation. And when he’s asked for an activity prospective diggers might try as an alternative, Dix can only compare it to one thing: shooting heroin.

“It makes you feel good, and then all of a sudden you die,” he said.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
yeah this is giving me big "regulations are written in blood" vibes

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The movie Barbarian is about these people

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Justin Long googling "can you count hobby tunnels as square footage"

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

gotta die somehow. might as well do it alone in the bottom of a hole if that’s your jam

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7213114477254921514

Everything about this account screams "NO, DEAR GOD WHAT THE gently caress ARE YOU DOING??? JUST STOP, PLEASE." insofar as hobby tunneling is concerned.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

XYZAB posted:

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7213114477254921514

Everything about this account screams "NO, DEAR GOD WHAT THE gently caress ARE YOU DOING??? JUST STOP, PLEASE." insofar as hobby tunneling is concerned.

Hitting the waterline and just going, "Eh, dump some concrete mix into the water."

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Grey Cat posted:

Hitting the waterline and just going, "Eh, dump some concrete mix into the water."

IIRC there's at least one video about how her air ventilation circulation system short circuited on account of how loose electrical wires and water aren't supposed to go together, and she didn't realize for a while and started getting CO2 headaches or something, and she's just like "whoopsie, can't let that happen again," and then she shows the insane extension cord/power bar solution to ensuring there's always another outlet dangling precariously over another pool of water that's attached to a hunk of clay that looks like it's about to slough off of the wall like this is somehow meant to assuage our concerns. I haven't seen another person wade so far into "when people stop taking their medication" territory since probably ChrisChan.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Amateurs. When you hit water that's when you start pumping.

Keep digging!

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Washington DC had a tunnel-digging entomologist back in the day:
https://architectofthecapital.org/posts/2016/11/6/dupont-circle-tunnel-digger

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Hobby Tunneling : It makes you feel good, and then all of a sudden you die

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

XYZAB posted:

IIRC there's at least one video about how her air ventilation circulation system short circuited on account of how loose electrical wires and water aren't supposed to go together, and she didn't realize for a while and started getting headaches or something, and she just like "whoopsie, can't let that happen again," and then she shows the insane extension cord/power bar solution to ensuring there's always another outlet dangling precariously over another pool of water that's attached to a hunk of clay that looks like it's about to collapse off of the wall like this is somehow meant to assuage our concerns. This is like, when people stop taking their medication territory.

:psyduck: NO.

For real none of this is legal you can't just dig a tunnel under your house, I'm not sure how they don't get in trouble posting the videos.
You'd think well maybe they live in the middle of nowhere but no they show a neighborhood right there. It's not like it only affects them either that could have long term effects on sloughing in the area, no?

Hollismason posted:

Hobby Tunneling : It makes you feel good, and then all of a sudden you die

I remember going to a camp as a kid in the winter and there were these giant 15-20 ft tall snow drifts around the lot. The other kids and myself dug tunnels all through those things while other kids are stomping around on top of the pile. Kids are stupid as poo poo. So of course it partially collapsed at some point with me inside it, so that was horrifying.

Grey Cat fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Feb 4, 2024

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

deep dish peat moss posted:

The movie Barbarian is about these people

i liked that movie :)

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Grey Cat posted:

:psyduck: NO.

For real none of this is legal you can't just dig a tunnel under your house, I'm not sure how they don't get in trouble posting the videos.
You'd think well maybe they live in the middle of nowhere but no they show a neighborhood right there. It's not like it only affects them either that could have long term effects on sloughing in the area, no?

Property values only go up when there's a not 0% chance that some sperglord within a 5 house radius might've rigged the entire neighbourhood for a demolition not unfit for a WWI trench ammo dump.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I could dig as many tunnels as I wish at my house. If such a thing were remotely practical.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Op, you should check out the Mole Man documentary. I feel like Ron could have been a goon in another life.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

XYZAB posted:

Property values only go up when there's a not 0% chance that some sperglord within a 5 house radius might've rigged the entire neighbourhood for a demolition not unfit for a WWI trench ammo dump.

tunneling is praxis

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

redshirt posted:

I could dig as many tunnels as I wish at my house. If such a thing were remotely practical.

you should tunnel from ur house to the court

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

redshirt posted:

You know, you and I can say it's not practical, (and it isn't), but then Colin Furze releases like five videos a few weeks apart from each other showing how easy it looks to basically double the square footage of your house without anyone even knowing about it, and I just question at what point in my life did I diverge from a path that would have seen me able to accomplish what he did, and do it all by himself, and have it look like a million bucks, y'know? Because in my heart of hearts I know that if I started right now on the exact same thing, I'd be on par with engineer lady for how psychotically undiagnosed schizophrenic or counter to the Geneva Convention my attempt would be.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

kntfkr posted:

you should tunnel from ur house to the court

Hell yeah bro, I could come out of the underground tunnel to cheers (on my boom box)!

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

It’s fine she’s wearing a dust mask.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

that digging lady is awesome and if a cave in claims her, she'll die a hero to me

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

how to save on burials, one weird trick funeral parlors hate

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Worf posted:

how to save on burials, one weird trick funeral parlors hate

Dig a tunnel into the funeral home for your last heist. Free funeral!

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty
I wish I had some tunnel-able land right now and also infinite time to dig tunnels in

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here
Strike the earth strike the earth strike the earth STRIKE THE EARTH!!! :black101:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ekq3TDPznGI

Grey Cat posted:

Aquifer maps are what separate the dwarves from the forest dwellers! :colbert:

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Didn't someone die recently in the DC area after he had been hired under the table to dig a guy's secret tunnel, and then it exploded, caught fire, or collapsed or something? I think he was prosecuted?

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Watching the Great Escape did make me want to dig a stealth escape tunnel, with a little railroad track, from my house to like, the alley or something. Maybe you lift up some disguised floorboards to enter?

I also fantasized as a kid about my best friends moving next door and then creating a tunnel complex /underground clubhouse

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
There's no way that deciding to dig a tunnel to no specific place in your basement isn't a sign that something inside you has finally snapped.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Thesaurus posted:

Didn't someone die recently in the DC area after he had been hired under the table to dig a guy's secret tunnel, and then it exploded, caught fire, or collapsed or something? I think he was prosecuted?

I forgot it was actually an insane 4chan millionaire!

https://www.washingtonian.com/2019/09/08/paranoid-tech-bro-homemade-nuclear-bunker-shocking-death-askia-khafra-daniel-beckwitt/

"Firefighters also found a hole in the floor that dropped about 20 feet down and fanned out into tunnels spanning about 200 feet, according to court documents."

Pre-tunel goin habits:
"police executed a search warrant on Daniel’s bedroom and found it in a “deplorable” state. “The room was riddled with trash, electrical wires, partially eaten food, computer equipment, and dirty clothes,” an officer wrote in his report. A bare mattress lay on the floor, surrounded by lock picks, a Ruger .22 rifle, and the hood of a fire-protection suit. "

Thesaurus fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Feb 5, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

There's no way that deciding to dig a tunnel to no specific place in your basement isn't a sign that something inside you has finally snapped.

That's not true, humans evolved from moles