Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Thesaurus posted:

Watching the Great Escape did make me want to dig a stealth escape tunnel, with a little railroad track, from my house to like, the alley or something. Maybe you lift up some disguised floorboards to enter?

I also fantasized as a kid about my best friends moving next door and then creating a tunnel complex /underground clubhouse

Children yearn for the caves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

is there other hobby engineering projects i should know about? hobby bridges, hobby sports stadiums, maybe hobby skyscrapers.

mystes
May 31, 2006

flubber nuts posted:

is there other hobby engineering projects i should know about? hobby bridges, hobby sports stadiums, maybe hobby skyscrapers.
maybe a lobby?

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

From the paranoid crypto millionaire tunnel barron:

quote:

The diggers urinated and defecated in a five-gallon bucket, the stench kept at bay with wiper fluid. When the bucket grew full, they attached it to a pulley and messaged Daniel, who winched it up and poured the contents into an upstairs toilet. When they got hungry, they sent requests for food, which Daniel dropped down the hole. There was a shower head, but it made mud of the floors, so they washed themselves with wet wipes. They never ascended into the house anywhere past the basement.

Meanwhile they were posting on Reddit all day and livestrwming weird crypto stuff.

It's a crazy tunnel article... Check it out!

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Well I'm not leaving the house and going outside that's for sure, and I'm bored of the house. Going up seems hard, so might as well see what's down!

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat
If that autistic tunnel lady wants to dig a tunnel I don't see why anyone should care. Let the woman dig.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

proposal: a fun hobby for "tunneling enthusiasts" and "amateur engineers"

reality: just post the rest of the quote, no edits needed

mystes
May 31, 2006

Shadowgate posted:

If that autistic tunnel lady wants to dig a tunnel I don't see why anyone should care. Let the woman dig.
if you talking about the tiktok person, she was presumably digging under her neighbors' property so even if you think that she should be able to dig a tunnel if she lived out in the middle of nowhere and wasn't endangering anyone else that doesn't really apply

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat

mystes posted:

if you talking about the tiktok person, she was presumably digging under her neighbors' property so even if you think that she should be able to dig a tunnel if she lived out in the middle of nowhere and wasn't endangering anyone else that doesn't really apply

What evidence is there that she was digging under her neighbors property? Let her dig.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Shadowgate posted:

What evidence is there that she was digging under her neighbors property? Let her dig.
apparently people figured out where she lives and it was a fairly small property with neighbors right next to her so people concluded that it seems like it's likely based on how big her tunnels are

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
If you tunnel into it it becomes your property

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

I mean, how far does the law reach down, really?

deeper than any holes you'd dig as a hobby

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Shadowgate posted:

Bad things tend to happen when a building that was sitting on a shitload of dirt is now sitting on a giant empty space. Not to mention there's generally a shitload of utilities buried underground that could get damaged through reckless tunneling.

It's one thing if she wants to bury herself alive, but don't gently caress up other people's lives with your mole fantasies.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

no, she should be allowed to tunnel wherever

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEQ75J-2L4s

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

that ain’t no hobby tunnel :mad:

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Tunnel Lady and other Tunnelers need to watch out for balrogs. It's a classic rookie mistake.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

TrashMammal posted:

that ain’t no hobby tunnel :mad:

no it isnsnt Hobby lobby doesn't even use ups things

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kP2GCfHkKmE

XYZAB posted:

You know, you and I can say it's not practical, (and it isn't), but then Colin Furze releases like five videos a few weeks apart from each other showing how easy it looks to basically double the square footage of your house without anyone even knowing about it, and I just question at what point in my life did I diverge from a path that would have seen me able to accomplish what he did, and do it all by himself, and have it look like a million bucks, y'know? Because in my heart of hearts I know that if I started right now on the exact same thing, I'd be on par with engineer lady for how psychotically undiagnosed schizophrenic or counter to the Geneva Convention my attempt would be.

i just checked up on how colin is doing, and he's starting into digging out a space for a underground garage with lift

and the ending has him exposing two of the foundation blocks his home sits on, and he has a bloody heard from a chunk of poo poo falling on him while digging

he's clearly a smart person but holy poo poo he's narrowly avoided certain death at least a few times

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

The only tunneling I do is the LAN kind. I don't do that hand style stuff. That's for people who want rough hands when they're 60.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
these peeps are going to a lot of trouble when they could just go buy a nice cave or a drainage culvert

dummies, think smarter not hard work

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

At least we can identify the problem tunnelers which just dig a pit straight down to start.

A public service reminder, if you decide you are in a position to get digging, dig sideways or at least start sideways and angle down.

Digging a pit is just the worst way to start or end.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

covidstomper58 posted:

At least we can identify the problem tunnelers which just dig a pit straight down to start.

A public service reminder, if you decide you are in a position to get digging, dig sideways or at least start sideways and angle down.

Digging a pit is just the worst way to start or end.

I have a shovel, gently caress you!

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

So dig sideways ya pitter!

It's easier!

Even worms don't default to digging straight down, unless they are core worms.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

Thesaurus posted:

Just watched the great escape btw. What a great secret tunneling movie

A few years ago, a paleontologist friend (Who moonlights at a battlefield archaelogist) went back to the site of Stalag Luft III with a couple of the surviving ex-POWs and excavated the remains of the tunnels. They found several artifacts, including the Klim cans that they turned into ventilation ducts in the tunnels.

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/news/2007/sep/escape-tunnels-stalag-luft-iii-could-number-100

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Genesplicer posted:

A few years ago, a paleontologist friend (Who moonlights at a battlefield archaelogist) went back to the site of Stalag Luft III with a couple of the surviving ex-POWs and excavated the remains of the tunnels. They found several artifacts, including the Klim cans that they turned into ventilation ducts in the tunnels.

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/news/2007/sep/escape-tunnels-stalag-luft-iii-could-number-100

That's cool. I hadn't reflected much on the true story aspect.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
This guy seems to be making good progress with his tunnels

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSAxwccXpQc

He is rather loopy like the other tunnelers, but he kind of knows what he's doing and mostly respects building codes

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I don't see the appeal of tunnels. I'm more of a bunker fan. Just one big living room area with the ceiling at ground level.

Silius
Apr 24, 2010

Thesaurus posted:

I forgot it was actually an insane 4chan millionaire!

https://www.washingtonian.com/2019/09/08/paranoid-tech-bro-homemade-nuclear-bunker-shocking-death-askia-khafra-daniel-beckwitt/

"Firefighters also found a hole in the floor that dropped about 20 feet down and fanned out into tunnels spanning about 200 feet, according to court documents."

Pre-tunel goin habits:
"police executed a search warrant on Daniel’s bedroom and found it in a “deplorable” state. “The room was riddled with trash, electrical wires, partially eaten food, computer equipment, and dirty clothes,” an officer wrote in his report. A bare mattress lay on the floor, surrounded by lock picks, a Ruger .22 rifle, and the hood of a fire-protection suit. "

I highly recommend this documentary on it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aybOOk3llq8

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

The only tunneling I do is the LAN kind. I don't do that hand style stuff. That's for people who want rough hands when they're 60.

My dong is rock hard so no matter what I'm gonna have miney hands

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

super sweet best pal posted:

I don't see the appeal of tunnels. I'm more of a bunker fan. Just one big living room area with the ceiling at ground level.

a tunnel is just a long bunker.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
A bunker is a tunnel for quitters.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

A bunker should be Stage 1 achievement for your first tunnel.

Second stage is an second tunnel and bunker expansion.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

redshirt posted:

A bunker should be Stage 1 achievement for your first tunnel.

Second stage is an second tunnel and bunker expansion.

Achievement Unlocked: Bunker Buster

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Mega64 posted:

Bad things tend to happen when a building that was sitting on a shitload of dirt is now sitting on a giant empty space. Not to mention there's generally a shitload of utilities buried underground that could get damaged through reckless tunneling.

It's one thing if she wants to bury herself alive, but don't gently caress up other people's lives with your mole fantasies.

No, she put that steel bar up with a smear of cement, it’s fine.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Thesaurus posted:

https://www.washingtonian.com/2019/09/08/paranoid-tech-bro-homemade-nuclear-bunker-shocking-death-askia-khafra-daniel-beckwitt/

"Firefighters also found a hole in the floor that dropped about 20 feet down and fanned out into tunnels spanning about 200 feet, according to court documents."

Pre-tunel goin habits:
"police executed a search warrant on Daniel’s bedroom and found it in a “deplorable” state. “The room was riddled with trash, electrical wires, partially eaten food, computer equipment, and dirty clothes,” an officer wrote in his report. A bare mattress lay on the floor, surrounded by lock picks, a Ruger .22 rifle, and the hood of a fire-protection suit. "

4chan millionaire is one of those phrases you have to mull over in your head before coming to grips with what it means

mystes
May 31, 2006

what does it mean?

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Thesaurus posted:

Pre-tunel goin habits:

Holy poo poo, this story is wild.

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

Y'know, I have a house, a big backyard, a few shovels and a pickaxe. Maybe I should get into tunnelin.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Droogie posted:

Y'know, I have a house, a big backyard, a few shovels and a pickaxe. Maybe I should get into tunnelin.'

grovertunnel? could be just what the doctor ordered to get this place off life support