Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
I'm trying to clean the garbage below up so it's easier to maintain. A few things on my plate currently:

- Buy a vertical wall mount to house the switches that are here and get them off a table.
- Keep the shelf below for the FGT since those aren't rack-mountable for reasons.
- Get more consistent length wires (4 ft? 6ft?)

Beyond that, how would you guys handle the switch to patch-panel cabling? Those are about 2-ft cables (Pretty sure all custom made). I plan to get another patch panel together so I can take a lot of those hanging lines (from the ceiling) and clean them up. Any suggestions beyond that? There's really not enough room for a full horizontal box, and that would involve increasing the length of some of those wires, which is just not feasible. Trying to keep as much of the original as possible. I'm cannibalizing a lot of hooks and stuff from older components that should be removed at some point.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
You can get a fortigate rack mount for that 40f/60f. The fortiswitch seems pointless and can be removed? You can get brackets for the Cisco, and I have plenty of extras if you need them.

Then get a 9u vertical rack and install it where that current wall mounted switch is at. Or replace with a 48port switch. I’d leave the patch panels where they are at. Too much effort to move.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
I do have a 4u vertical rack coming in (the cisco sg200 is going away for sure, and I'm probably just going to have them go with a FS-148E-POE and replace it all).

The wall mounted is a GrandStream GWN7803P and I'm not a fan of it, plus we have the FGT there, and a FS-124E in another location. Push comes to shove, I'll move the 8 port to the back, the 24 port to the front with the GS and split it. If I can get the 48 port, I'll just do ... something with the GS and use the 8 port as a testbed for splitting the vlan and whatnot.

But my next question would be the wires? Especially the ones coming from the patch panels to the wall-mounted switch. I put that in like that yesterday (previously the shelf was about 6" lower, and had two of the SG200's and they went basically straight down, gonna try to find an old picture). Is the best method (for both cable management and neatness) to get longer (4-6 foot cables), and hang them to the side, or just keep doing what I'm doing here (while taking the other ones that are just a mish-mash of what was laying around and replacing those with more uniform cables)? I've seen high-quality stuff in an enterprise rack (multiple 48u sized racks with precut wires, etc), and much smaller things (like 8 wires running elsewhere) on a table that was neat, haven't seen something this 'in-between'.

Comedy (I think?) option: 10' STP patch cable and just drape it over the breaker box next to it.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
How flexible is the cabling on the 24 port patch panel? Can you not fold it up and screw it to the RU closet to wall and then get 6 inch cables?

Edit-I keep writing 1RU as 3 for some reason today.

Cyks fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Feb 5, 2024

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Cyks posted:

How flexible is the cabling on the 24 port patch panel? Can you not fold it up and screw it to the RU closet to wall and then get 6 inch cables?

Edit-I keep writing 1RU as 3 for some reason today.

I could probably turn that up and put it in the vertical rack, but that would put the switches above eye level. That upper patch panel is probably at eye level or just above and turning it up to go in the wall rack would put it even further up. I suppose that wouldn't be an issue in this situation, would just need a step stool/ladder to do any cable manipulation. If they drop for the 48, I'll probably get a second patch panel for all the extra loose wires that are hanging about as well.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
This is after about 2 hours of an initial cleanup of the cabling there. I wish I had a 'before' picture prior to this, it was nightmare.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
I love how a big IT job in progress kinda looks like you just got robbed.