Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hi there,

Problem description: I’m trying to migrate my brother-in-law’s Windows 10 installation from his 12-year-old Dell spinning drive to a new NVMe one, and after copying the drive the Windows bootloader can’t boot the OS. My suspicion is that ages ago this drive was installed with a bootloader that can’t speak NVMe-whatever.

Attempted fixes: I am copying the entire drive with clonezilla as a baseline. At that point I can select the Windows bootloader from UEFI, but it blue-errors saying that it can’t find an operating system. I have tried running a Windows repair from the Windows 10 installation media, to no avail. I verified that the EFI partition was copied correctly.

I really don’t want to do a fresh Windows install because he has a lot of stuff configured and installed for which I don’t know we have reliable reinstallation sources.

If I’m correct that this is a SATA/NVMe issue, what’s the best way to get an NVMe-capable Windows bootloader put in place? If I do a fresh Windows install with the same partition sizes, and then pave over the actual Windows partition, will I end up in trouble with mismatched drive GUIDs or such?

Recent changes: Just this!

--

Operating system: Win 10 Pro

System specs: Motherboard is ASRock B450M HDV R4.0 AMD AM4 Socket, target drive is a 1TB SN850

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes Googled a ton, but I didn’t see the FAQ tbqh!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
If the old drive is MBR I tell people I need to reinstall but I try anyway.

If the old drive is GPT it’s possible using Ghost or a good Windows Disk Management utility. Clonezilla is… clonezilla, it's a whole other thing. I have used it in the past but I absolutely do not know anything about it... there may be settings you missed maybe?

Cloning GPT to GPT is a no brainer, if you need to, try again with different software. I think Macrium Reflect is popular. I use an old version of minitool partition wizard that has no ads (11.5)

If the old drive is MBR lmk, there is a CONSISTENT way but it’s involved.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I am not certain that I converted the source drive to GPT, hmm! I don’t have access to the machine until a few weeks from now, but I’m hoping to have a bunch of approaches available when I go up next.

I don’t mind involved! Thank you!