Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I’ve started hand sewing clothes. historical techniques make for finished-looking and durable stuff

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

don't have to smash them, there's lots of options, can dissolve them in acid for example
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PC9Lpr5mU3U

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

I remember we had a lil conversational fork in cjs a while back but say you wanted to destroy a website - not like an hour downtime or whatever, but like actually gently caress it up badly enough so it eventually dies completely - how would you do it? how many collaborators would you need? and no fair just saying "i would be elon musk" thats too easy

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

don't have to smash them, there's lots of options, can dissolve them in acid for example
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PC9Lpr5mU3U

this is true! good point, thanks.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

in good ludditeism my new (extremely clever) (cs) phd student comes into work in the morning, dumps their laptop on the desk, then sits down with pen and paper for 8 hours straight, never opening the laptop, then goes home. it boggles my mind, but i am hugely impressed. they're genuinely figuring stuff out too (but i would be impressed even if not).

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

in good ludditeism my new (extremely clever) (cs) phd student comes into work in the morning, dumps their laptop on the desk, then sits down with pen and paper for 8 hours straight, never opening the laptop, then goes home. it boggles my mind, but i am hugely impressed. they're genuinely figuring stuff out too (but i would be impressed even if not).

thats the good kind of computer science

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9wsjroVlu8

everything else sounds like a setup. you're not a narc, are you rotor? you have to tell us if you are.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
we should leave our jobs and create a yospos commune

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
for real tho

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

why did we ever let virtual machines exist oh cool a machine pretending to be machine so its worsenes is squared

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

rotor posted:

I remember we had a lil conversational fork in cjs a while back but say you wanted to destroy a website - not like an hour downtime or whatever, but like actually gently caress it up badly enough so it eventually dies completely - how would you do it? how many collaborators would you need? and no fair just saying "i would be elon musk" thats too easy

i mean this is like asking how to burn down new york city. it's not about having a bunch of gas cans, it's about controlling the fire department

just my company alone pulls in 500M a year making sure people can't do this, so unless you got 501, ain't happenin.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

i mean this is like asking how to burn down new york city. it's not about having a bunch of gas cans, it's about controlling the fire department

just my company alone pulls in 500M a year making sure people can't do this, so unless you got 501, ain't happenin.

just to be clear, you mean that your company is in the business of dealing with gas can gathering attempts right? because i have to think you'd be out of the loop in the fire department analogy

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

just to be clear, you mean that your company is in the business of dealing with gas can gathering attempts right? because i have to think you'd be out of the loop in the fire department analogy

I work at a CDN and all the big sites that you all hate pay us millions of dollars to shitcan ddos and sql injection attacks.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

I work at a CDN and all the big sites that you all hate pay us millions of dollars to shitcan ddos and sql injection attacks.

right, i know where you work, i meant to clarify your analogy in that i figured it made sense that ddos at least, and probably sql injection, is gas cans, where fire department is quite different. your "making sure people can't do this" does not obviously refer to gas cans over fire departments.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Unless you control the mitigation, attacks are only half the picture. Perhaps my analogy was crude. idk. work is really hard today and i'm justposting.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Jonny 290 posted:

work is really hard today and i'm justposting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8qgehH3kEQ

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

lol

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

Unless you control the mitigation, attacks are only half the picture. Perhaps my analogy was crude. idk. work is really hard today and i'm justposting.

all good ofc, was not some attempt at an own, rather i figured you're positioned to have some pretty solid ideas here.

as in, i think it is obvious that ddos is not a viable way of getting anything significant off the web, because there's a service trivializing that.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the small but growing trend of going back to slow internet or whatever we're calling it is all we can really do to "destroy the internet as it is." nobody's gonna buy ads on a buncha little phpbb sites. and ads/info gathering/tracking is the poison.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
cant we just go in with some bolt cutters and cut the internet cords

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

simply create content that is difficult to monetize

the something awful dot com forums have perhaps ironically been leading the charge here

echinopsis posted:

cant we just go in with some bolt cutters and cut the internet cords

you sure can, the box is on the wall outside your house

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

i dont really think thats true. I think itd be hard, but i think - at least with the first one - that itd be possible with a lot of thought a lil organization and just a little property damage here & there.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

maybe i should build a machine smashing machine

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

ludd.it, a combination social networking and gig economy app

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

I wonder if wiping the user tables would be enough. Like if a company had to start collecting users from scratch, is that enough of a hit to actually destroy the company? for some places i think it probably is.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
they'd roll back a week. all of these sites have airgapped replicas in the freezer. thats the most important part of their business

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

freezer, on a tape in the back seat of the ops managers toyota many different dr possibility

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

they'd roll back a week. all of these sites have airgapped replicas in the freezer. thats the most important part of their business

right, i think making sure the DR is corrupted is probably the hardest part of this

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

I know DR is a big deal some places and not so much in others. Some large places I'm aware of have extensive but apparently never-tested DR schemes.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

probably just finding where all the DR centers are is probably a significant task in and of itself but like they always say: hard work is its own reward

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

rotor posted:

I know DR is a big deal some places and not so much in others. Some large places I'm aware of have extensive but apparently never-tested DR schemes.

yeah i have worked in at least one big org that had pretty big gaps in the DR plan that were essentially 'to do: create a process for this' during the tabletop.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

by doing a tabletop, realizing we have a huge gap in our dr process, and filing a jira ticket, we have, in fact, 'tested our dr plan', mr auditor. we failed the test. :smug:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

but really its both

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

infernal machines posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9wsjroVlu8

everything else sounds like a setup. you're not a narc, are you rotor? you have to tell us if you are.

this is covered by the ‘no feds’ post in the rules thread, please educate yourself

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

asking people to read the rules is fed behavior

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

post hole digger posted:

asking people to read the rules is fed behavior

yospos has never not been about having lots of rules.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

youd know that if you werent … saaaay … about when did you start posting here anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

rotor posted:

this is covered by the ‘no feds’ post in the rules thread, please educate yourself

huh. that's what i get for not checking the rules thread since 2018

welp. this looks legit, please continue your conspiring to commit domestic terrorism or whatever