Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

infernal machines posted:

huh. that's what i get for not checking the rules thread since 2018

welp. this looks legit, please continue your conspiring to commit domestic terrorism or whatever

to be clear, i'm not planning anything, I'm just speculating

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
oh, for sure, for sure, in minecraft, of course

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Anyways realtalk:

* Store tv shows and movies and albums you like on a hard drive in your possession. Make sure you can play them somehow off battery power. This is actually super important for moral reasons.
* Those little 10-30 watt solar panels are super good for charging USB things. They won't run your furnace, but they'll let the kids watch some blues clues or skibidi toilet or w/e and that's a big vibe boost.
* The more gadgets you have that run off AA alkaline batteries, the better. Then buy a 96-pack of them. They like cool temps so store them back in the closet. Good for five years.
* Water is so so so important. You will never be thirstier than when there's a power outage and there's no water pressure. 5-20 gallons again back in the closet will be the drink of life.
* Clean clothes are very important. Make sure there's a change or two of tshirt/socks/britches that you don't ever use, so that you're good for a week if there's an ice storm.
* Waterless shampoo really is good. Buy a can, use it once to learn how it works, and then park it. It pulls the worst of the greasy hair out and makes you feel human again.
* The most important part of 'off-gridding' is not cool solar panels or 4g internet or netflix, but figuring out how to dispose of your urine and feces. This is grody but will quickly degrade a power outage or similar event to screaming chaos very rapidly. Figure out, if you end up having to poo poo in a grocery bag, where you do it, where you put it, etc.
* Buy extra pet food and (if cat) litter. Stash it. Don't touch it until you need it. Dry pet food is like 30% chipboard anyways, so it'll go forever.
* Mountain House meals are a good holdover for weeks 1-2, but they are loaded with salt and various chemicals to preserve. Don't rely on them for long term things.
* Do not drive, if you live in a snowy area, in the winter, without snowflake/mountain peak rated tires. Your rear end bout to go into the ditch.
* Put $100 in twenties in the inside pocket of all your car manuals. It's the difference between a cowboy tow and sleeping in said ditch.
* You'll notice i am not doing any predicted BuY A HaM RaDiO suggestions, because they're all weird racist homophobe chuds. If you want, stash some FRS walkie-talkies with your family - ones that can take the AA batteries above. COMMO is not necessary.

Alright thats my immediate braindump

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I would simply just keel over and die

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

echinopsis posted:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

echinopsis posted:

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
i'm going to be a nameless character that dies in the first five minutes to set the scene

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
The idea isn't to survive five years in a powerless, waterless wasteland. The idea is to come out the back side of a two week city wide power outage without divorce papers

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

well-read undead posted:

i'm going to be a nameless character that dies in the first five minutes to set the scene

this only works if it's a quick pox eclipse like a impact event or nuclear war. what if it's just a long, slow decline.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

guys this thread is about smashing the machines, not being smashed by the machines

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

yall real unclear about this whole luddism gig

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

i have a small ripi pico i think ill start with that and work my way up

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

rotor posted:

yall real unclear about this whole luddism gig

i'm not, no.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

tbf, i also know which side my bread is buttered on. i've been doing this poo poo for like 25 years. it's a bit fickle to decide that now the machines replacing human labour are a problem. otoh, i just service the machines, so if you good folks want to start throwing sabots into the works, that's okay by me.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

my spouse has a loom should i start with that? it would be more traditional to smash than a computer

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Elder Postsman posted:

this only works if it's a quick pox eclipse like a impact event or nuclear war. what if it's just a long, slow decline.

sounds boring. think i'll still go in the first 5, maybe just fall out a window or smth

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

The idea isn't to survive five years in a powerless, waterless wasteland. The idea is to come out the back side of a two week city wide power outage without divorce papers

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

rotor posted:

I remember we had a lil conversational fork in cjs a while back but say you wanted to destroy a website - not like an hour downtime or whatever, but like actually gently caress it up badly enough so it eventually dies completely - how would you do it? how many collaborators would you need? and no fair just saying "i would be elon musk" thats too easy

i would be zuck and put in the delete order

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Jonny 290 posted:

Anyways realtalk:

* Store tv shows and movies and albums you like on a hard drive in your possession. Make sure you can play them somehow off battery power. This is actually super important for moral reasons.
* Those little 10-30 watt solar panels are super good for charging USB things. They won't run your furnace, but they'll let the kids watch some blues clues or skibidi toilet or w/e and that's a big vibe boost.
* The more gadgets you have that run off AA alkaline batteries, the better. Then buy a 96-pack of them. They like cool temps so store them back in the closet. Good for five years.
* Water is so so so important. You will never be thirstier than when there's a power outage and there's no water pressure. 5-20 gallons again back in the closet will be the drink of life.
* Clean clothes are very important. Make sure there's a change or two of tshirt/socks/britches that you don't ever use, so that you're good for a week if there's an ice storm.
* Waterless shampoo really is good. Buy a can, use it once to learn how it works, and then park it. It pulls the worst of the greasy hair out and makes you feel human again.
* The most important part of 'off-gridding' is not cool solar panels or 4g internet or netflix, but figuring out how to dispose of your urine and feces. This is grody but will quickly degrade a power outage or similar event to screaming chaos very rapidly. Figure out, if you end up having to poo poo in a grocery bag, where you do it, where you put it, etc.
* Buy extra pet food and (if cat) litter. Stash it. Don't touch it until you need it. Dry pet food is like 30% chipboard anyways, so it'll go forever.
* Mountain House meals are a good holdover for weeks 1-2, but they are loaded with salt and various chemicals to preserve. Don't rely on them for long term things.
* Do not drive, if you live in a snowy area, in the winter, without snowflake/mountain peak rated tires. Your rear end bout to go into the ditch.
* Put $100 in twenties in the inside pocket of all your car manuals. It's the difference between a cowboy tow and sleeping in said ditch.
* You'll notice i am not doing any predicted BuY A HaM RaDiO suggestions, because they're all weird racist homophobe chuds. If you want, stash some FRS walkie-talkies with your family - ones that can take the AA batteries above. COMMO is not necessary.

Alright thats my immediate braindump

sounds good if ur not living on the 29th floor of a high rise apartment building with 2000 other ppl. cheers op

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

oh, that was step one, don't do that, then do the rest

or, idk, live somewhere with a functional government and infrastructure, but frankly that's asking a lot.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
surviving the apocalypse is ableist

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

its their apocalypse, he's supposed to die there!

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
wasn't it someone here that the dr was to call a few people to start recovery? it was a neat workflow

unfortunately i am the dr at work (I myself do all the red binder steps) and inexplicably it's always when the owner (my direct boss) is out of town

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

fart simpson posted:

sounds good if ur not living on the 29th floor of a high rise apartment building with 2000 other ppl. cheers op

You don't have to worry about such things. i agree

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

infernal machines posted:

tbf, i also know which side my bread is buttered on. i've been doing this poo poo for like 25 years. it's a bit fickle to decide that now the machines replacing human labour are a problem. otoh, i just service the machines, so if you good folks want to start throwing sabots into the works, that's okay by me.

im making the thread now but i believe my luddite views have been well-known for some many years now

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

Come this autumn, we'll be miles away...

Jonny 290 posted:

five years in a powerless, waterless wasteland

don't threaten me with a good time

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

echinopsis posted:

surviving the apocalypse is ableist

lol

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

rotor posted:

i dont really think thats true. I think itd be hard, but i think - at least with the first one - that itd be possible with a lot of thought a lil organization and just a little property damage here & there.

agreed

so there's a classic Terrible Bug in the CDN space which is referred to as Disneyboy, where two customers' content ended up getting misserved, so a family-friendly entertainment conglomerate ended up getting served softcore lad magazine photos

this was like 20 years ago and wasn't malicious but it's damaging along at least a few axes:

* makes people think "multitenancy / cloud poo poo is inherently unsafe so we'll roll our own" (impossible to get right, expensive, and requires tons of specialized engineers: a self-own in waiting)
* makes people think "I have to spend $$$ on security consultants to fuzz our software" (massive redirection of resources into a giant void)
* and the correct take: makes people think "well no childes ever accidentally saw boobs when they tried to watch a kids' movie on a DVD that I bought from a brick and mortar location in my local community"

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

the best i can hope for is to become an environmental storytelling skeleton

maybe leave an audio log with some foreshadowing

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Dijkstracula posted:

agreed

so there's a classic Terrible Bug in the CDN space which is referred to as Disneyboy, where two customers' content ended up getting misserved, so a family-friendly entertainment conglomerate ended up getting served softcore lad magazine photos

this was like 20 years ago and wasn't malicious but it's damaging along at least a few axes:

* makes people think "multitenancy / cloud poo poo is inherently unsafe so we'll roll our own" (impossible to get right, expensive, and requires tons of specialized engineers: a self-own in waiting)
* makes people think "I have to spend $$$ on security consultants to fuzz our software" (massive redirection of resources into a giant void)
* and the correct take: makes people think "well no childes ever accidentally saw boobs when they tried to watch a kids' movie on a DVD that I bought from a brick and mortar location in my local community"

the three mile island of cdns

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

I dusted off my photo enlarger the past weekend because I wanted to get into making darkroom prints again. all of my paper developer is expired so I need to buy more, but it feels good to be able to make art without touching a computer.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i’ll have to get into pharming

hopefully I can cure all illness with either opium or mescaline

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

echinopsis posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pDTiFkXgEE

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

echinopsis posted:

sometime you have to mix them, for the really tough ones

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

echinopsis posted:

i have it on good authority that you absolutely can

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos
what’s the ideal weapon for smashing computer? sledgehammer? baseball bat with a railroad spike? shotgun?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

HamAdams posted:

what’s the ideal weapon for smashing computer? sledgehammer? baseball bat with a railroad spike? shotgun?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_-RaILKeEI

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE

HamAdams posted:

pick it up about head high and throw it on concrete as hard as possible.

if its too big to lift: sucks to suck i guess.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

bonus points for doing it from a second story or higher balcony

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
ah.

if its too big to lift spray it with flaming diesel for a bit to get all the plasticy bits going. thatll do er