Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

if i hear one more idiot team architect spout some poo poo like "oh well we're busy migrating to microservices so that will make this redundant" or "actually in our new microservice model we won't have databases because data will just be pinged back and forth between endpoints until it eventually gets used or the cluster dies" or "kubernetes" then im going to post about this even more angrily and they won't be able to stop me because they'll be too busy doing "service endpoint discovery" or some bullshit like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8OnoxKotPQ

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

this thread is now running on microservices below this line

8<--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

This post can just bounce around in here between services until someone reads it.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

sorry, it took too long and it's been garbage collected

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

oh sorry you were pointing to the services hosted on cluster 12, which is down, be sure to use cluster 9, cluster 7, or cluster hecerim

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
microservices? thats what your mom said to me last night :smugmrgw:

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

if i hear one more idiot team architect spout some poo poo like "oh well we're busy migrating to microservices so that will make this redundant" or "actually in our new microservice model we won't have databases because data will just be pinged back and forth between endpoints until it eventually gets used or the cluster dies" or "kubernetes" then im going to post about this even more angrily and they won't be able to stop me because they'll be too busy doing "service endpoint discovery" or some bullshit like that

microservices are the new delay line memory storage model

everything old is new again

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

echinopsis posted:

microservices? thats what your mom said to me last night :smugmrgw:

convoluted and time consuming with disappointing results, checks out

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

[ASK] me about the microservice i built last year

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
this year, the winter storms have left us overstocked and up to our necks in: microservices!

at microservice warehouse, we've got the largest selection of new and used microservices in the tri-state area... over three miles of microservices!

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

needs more sidecar

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

psiox posted:

this year, the winter storms have left us overstocked and up to our necks in: microservices!

at microservice warehouse, we've got the largest selection of new and used microservices in the tri-state area... over three miles of microservices!

typescript services? we got em!
rails service? we cant be beat!
restful apis? we just got in a huge selection!

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Asleep Style posted:

sure just one: how dare you?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Asleep Style posted:

ok. how do you build only one microservice???

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

post hole digger posted:

sure just one: how dare you?

i'm just working the tickets I'm given

fart simpson posted:

ok. how do you build only one microservice???

the first one went really well and we were actually gonna build a second one. when we dug into it some more we realized that it would have to share a bunch of it's logic with the thing we were trying to split it from, so we scrapped that idea

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

if u only have one microservice wouldnt it just be a service?

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

fart simpson posted:

if u only have one microservice wouldnt it just be a service?

what if it's very, very small

like 2 cubic cm

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

microservices are zirp

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
What was the p99 latency before the issue? Hold on, let me get someone from that team on the call.
When did we update the thread pool? That's another team hold on I'll see if I can get them on call.
Where is the log aggregator hosted? Hm, maybe I can get someone from that team on the call.
The load balancer metrics? That's a different team I'm not sure what their hours are.
A slow query log? I don't have access to that but maybe this team does let me call them.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

sorry everyone but the rewrite is taking longer than we expected because we needed to update the authentication and we have to update and deploy 200 different services

(I actually saw this happen lol)

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

sorry everyone but the rewrite is taking longer than we expected because we needed to update the authentication and we have to update and deploy 200 different services

(I actually saw this happen lol)

do we work together?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Radio Paranoia posted:

do we work together?

that was at my old job so no, but I am completely not shocked to learn that someone else did the same thing lol

as I was leaving the architecture people were going on about "micro frontends"

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
cool trick for BE architects:
while we wait for the 6 second api call to resolve between all the microservices we can put a spinner on the front end, shrug and blame javascript being slow

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

after I moved from the tech side to the "business side" dictating the system strategy (pro tip, this pays significantly more) I'm seeing all sorts of bullshit from some areas

what inspired this thread was some guy yesterday saying "we don't want to build a mapping table for your output data because in the future we will have microservices and an API" "ok so where is the API going to get the data from?" "....." "so you need a mapping table right?" ".....well it will be an API so...."

as the tech person in our department I will certainly be calling this poo poo out to my manager because we already thought they were clowns but now we know that it is in fact a whole circus

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

*gets paged at 3 AM because of RPC timeouts to a downstream service*

*increases timeout*

*goes back to bed*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
what is this, a service for ants?