Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Be pretty cool I guess. I don't know. Maybe, like, use it to get to work or something. You could become one of those lovely "super" villains that's actually just a guy with enough money to buy a gyro-copter. Seems like it'd probably just EAT gas. Kind of meh on the whole thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
all the ladies say i'm pretty fly for a gyro guy

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Take care of your Gyro-Copter guy and your Gyro-Copter guy will take care of you

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Take care of your Gyro-Copter guy and your Gyro-Copter guy will take care of you

What are we talking about here?? 10% off gyro-copter services??? That'd really help my bottom line...

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Nah, gyro copter guy will always be the guy who couldn't afford a proper helicopter. Better to just not even go there if you can't do it right, and pretend you never wanted a helicopter anyway.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Literally A Person posted:

What are we talking about here?? 10% off gyro-copter services??? That'd really help my bottom line...

That’s between you and your Guy. Shan’t break the code by divulging secrets

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Gyro pronounced like "gyro" or like "gyro"?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

what is the difference between a gryo copyer and a helicopter? i thought all helicopters used gyros :confused:

or is this some kind of pun about a special helicopter used for delivering sandwiches of mediterranean origin? that seems cool. if thats what you are talking about, op, i applaud your efforts and while you're here i'd love a falafel wrap with no tomatoes.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Earwicker posted:

what is the difference between a gryo copyer and a helicopter? i thought all helicopters used gyros :confused:

or is this some kind of pun about a special helicopter used for delivering sandwiches of mediterranean origin? that seems cool. if thats what you are talking about, op, i applaud your efforts and while you're here i'd love a falafel wrap with no tomatoes.

I imagine like one of those little gi joe one-seater helicopters from the 90's

XeeD
Jul 10, 2001
I see invisible dumptrucks.

Earwicker posted:

Dropping snakes on the bad guys trying to steal your fuel is trickier in a helicopter.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Captain Splendid posted:

por que no las dos?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Gyro-copter guy can't loving stop talking about their gyro-copter.

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

My dad was a gyrocopter guy - he bought an old one (as a birthday present "for my mum", she was not thrilled) and rebuilt it. They're a lot easier to fly than helicopters and because of the way they work you won't just drop out of the sky if the engine stops because the free-spinning rotor is driven by forward motion. The engine is there to give you speed which in turn moves the rotor and gives you lift.

Been up in them a few times when I was young, they're pretty fun but I don't think I'd own one myself.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Stoner Sloth posted:

My dad was a gyrocopter guy - he bought an old one (as a birthday present "for my mum", she was not thrilled) and rebuilt it. They're a lot easier to fly than helicopters and because of the way they work you won't just drop out of the sky if the engine stops because the free-spinning rotor is driven by forward motion. The engine is there to give you speed which in turn moves the rotor and gives you lift.

Been up in them a few times when I was young, they're pretty fun but I don't think I'd own one myself.

Trap sprung. LAP is going to kidnap your dad now.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

love 2 fear clouds

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

They'll tell you that a "half-Volkswagen" is an affordable, cost-effective engine option... but if you feel the need to take one of the cheapest, most ubiquitous car engines of all time and cut it in half, it's probably time to just give it up and go home.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Saalkin posted:

Trap sprung. LAP is going to kidnap your dad now.

Wheels are in motion. Wheels within wheels.

Or, I guess rotors, or something? idk

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Remember Gyro Copter guy from The Road Warrior?

Learn from him! Hubris will be your downfall!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Earwicker posted:

This is where it's at. I'll take two, please, extra tzatziki

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Not sure we're talking about tug boat shaped hat guy itt...

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

redshirt posted:

Remember Gyro Copter guy from The Road Warrior?

Learn from him! Hubris will be your downfall!

Ok yes but if I may offer a counterpoint, 'The New Adventures of Pippi Longstocking' says that only adventure and freedom await!

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Captain Splendid posted:

Guy-ro

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Helico- means spiral (hence helix) and -pter means wing (hence pteradactyl), so I guess that means GYROCO must mean something. It sounds delicious, whatever it is.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump
My Gyro Guy brings all the gyros to the yard

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

I'm more of an autogyro guy tbh

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Earwicker posted:

I assume it's a sandwich delivery service personally. It's like drone delivery, but you get a fully crewed helicopter. Bonus is they can make your sandwich onboard so you get it super fresh.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
More than 1/3 of all accidents are fatal, lol

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2022/october/31/gyro-hero-sorta-safe

But I guess you can’t really put a price on looking this cool.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
My father nearly went in on a timeshare of an auto gyro

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
I do believe that gyros are safer than they’ve ever been

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Stoner Sloth posted:

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Gayro-Cocker

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I assume it's a sandwich delivery service personally. It's like drone delivery, but you get a fully crewed helicopter. Bonus is they can make your sandwich onboard so you get it super fresh.

sounds cool but loud let's just fast forward to those hovering noodle bars like in fifth element

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

Been one of these guys for a while now :cool:

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Pilot wings makes it seem fun, yeah, but they sure as poo poo don't show you the crappy parts about having a gyro-copter. Who you thinks paying to maintenance that thing?

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Simply make friends with a gyro-copter-truck owner and have them help you move.

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

Literally A Person posted:

Pilot wings makes it seem fun, yeah, but they sure as poo poo don't show you the crappy parts about having a gyro-copter. Who you thinks paying to maintenance that thing?

Can you really put a price on being a gyro-captain? It's a skill that could be invaluable in the coming future.

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

lol also when i was younger used to work looking after and collecting venom from snakes (so they could make antivenom) so it's not that far off the mark :australia:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I'd rather be one of those powered glider guys. Seems simpler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Earwicker posted:

real serious boring answer, in a helicopter the motor spins the top bit, in a gyrocopter the motor spins the back (or sometimes front) bit and the top bit spins by itself thru airplane magic

gyrocopters can't hover but can be used for making political statements https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doug_Hughes_(activist)