Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

WaltherFeng posted:

When I was a kid my favorite attack in OG was Cid lighting a dynamite with cigarette.

I hope it comes back in some fashion.
That attack was rad, but he didn't smoke at all in Rebirth. Would showing smoking change the ESRB rating? If so, there's no way they'd do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt
Cids spear will be a very long cigarette

Trip Hazard
Jan 17, 2017

WaltherFeng posted:

When I was a kid my favorite attack in OG was Cid lighting a dynamite with cigarette.

I hope it comes back in some fashion.

I remember it being a cigar, but I could be wrong (also, splitting hairs). But, that was a fantastic bit of character-building animation, thanks for sending me on that trip down memory lane

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
You have to redo the side quests in hard mode for extra manuscripts and I just did the one where you have to collect the flowers for the chocobo girl.

Holy poo poo. Lol. Hard mode has no qualms about punching for the dick.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

War Wizard posted:

You have to redo the side quests in hard mode for extra manuscripts and I just did the one where you have to collect the flowers for the chocobo girl.

I do wonder what % of players went into that blind and didn't lose at least 2 characters in the first salvo.

doos
Jan 1, 2015

War Wizard posted:

It took me like 6 or 7 attempts, but my eventual strategy for that was spamming the Iron Defense synergy skill on Barret, until everything was gathered close, then just chaining Fiery Impulse, and Smackdown. It looked incredibly stupid, but somehow managed to work. It ruled.

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?

War Wizard posted:

That quest was really brutal, until I used Yuffie and her Windstorm to gather all the enemies together and stun them, rinse and repeat.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Smoking is for cowards

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I just wrapped it up!

Overall I'm not sure how I feel about the ending. Even taking into account having to redo the final boss sequence, I feel like it lost a little momentum. The nature of ending half way through a story and having to shoehorn in an ending I guess, but spending 6 hours in the temple and then only 5 minutes in the city felt unbalanced. Feel like some of the temple could have been cut for an extended city section.

What a loving ride though. Absolutely spectacular game.

And I have a question for those that have played the OG and crisis core, I know this is a 'sequel', but - am I mistaken, or has the game still not made it clear to people that haven't played those what cloud did and the true nature of him and Zack? I don't recall it spelling it out and I feel like people who are diving into the remake for the first time must be wondering what the point of Zach even is

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Apr 20, 2024

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I think I’m missing the third elemental materia and also are you only meant to have a single Magnify?

I thought I was doing well until I tried some of the Golden Saucer fights on Hard and… poo poo lol. They weren’t joking about hard

I’m gonna get to 70 then go back down to normal and try to finish up the Gilgamesh quests that way

cubicle gangster posted:

I just wrapped it up!

Overall I'm not sure how I feel about the ending. Even taking into account having to redo the final boss sequence, I feel like it lost a little momentum. The nature of ending half way through a story and having to shoehorn in an ending I guess, but spending 6 hours in the temple and then only 5 minutes in the city felt unbalanced. Feel like some of the temple could have been cut for an extended city section.

What a loving ride though. Absolutely spectacular game.

And I have a question for those that have played the OG and crisis core, I know this is a 'sequel', but - am I mistaken, or has the game still not made it clear to people that haven't played those what cloud did and the true nature of him and Zack? I don't recall it spelling it out and I feel like people who are diving into the remake for the first time must be wondering what the point of Zach even is

They definitely haven’t which is a really nice meta-twist.

Now it looks like Cloud IS legitimately seeing across timelines ? So a lot of what in the original game was “this guy is crazy” is a legitimate thing happening to him messing up his perception even more

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

GateOfD posted:

altered moveset install Vincent would actually fit the best in the new action system.

Yeah, my hope for it would be treating it like an install super move that gives you various transformations. I think his actual synergy skills would only work in his base form with that approach. And I'd prefer to be able to control him during the transformations, but I wouldn't call it an absolute dealbreaker if he's just going ham under AI control and you have minimal input on what he does in that state.

Preferably a lot of his ATB skills will involve transforming only part of his body into a monster or only assuming a monster form for a moment. I'd prefer that to just "shoot things lots of different ways" though I would like a few "shoot things this way" ATB skills. And I think that "partial or momentary transformation" would work really well for his synergy skills.

It'd be interesting to have his limits work like that as a way to further set him apart from how the other characters play.

I don't know what they can come up with to add to the battle system since dual-tech style synergy skills was such an obvious but cool way to go, but I hope they come up with something really interesting and fun to play around with.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
FF16 dlc just came out and it has pretty cool new Eikon that give you a (water) shotgun arm.

You can glide and backflip while shooting which is something I could see Vincent doing. There's also precision reloading stolen from Gears of War.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

There, I've beaten the hardest boss in Rebirth, 3D Brawler Sephiroth without pause buffering.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

The biggest mark against Rebirth is Aerith not swinging a folding chair around at any point

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
The thing I'm most looking forward to for Vincent in the next game is seeing Death Gigas and Hellmasker in HD

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

why does cait sith sound like a scottish person pretending to be irish? why does he pronounce his own name wrong?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Rhonne posted:

The thing I'm most looking forward to for Vincent in the next game is seeing Death Gigas and Hellmasker in HD

I'm sorry to say that we live in current year and Vincent will not turn into any classic horror movie villains because S-E doesn't want to risk being sued.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

ulvir posted:

why does cait sith sound like a scottish person pretending to be irish? why does he pronounce his own name wrong?

To me he sounds like a Scottish person that moved away a decade ago and had to soften it up a bit so people could understand him - which is the v/o's normal voice.

I think what you're picking up on is how unnatural it sounds for a Scottish person to be that upbeat, does sound very wrong.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

ulvir posted:

why does he pronounce his own name wrong?

Reeve is not actually Scotish.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

cubicle gangster posted:

To me he sounds like a Scottish person that moved away a decade ago and had to soften it up a bit so people could understand him - which is the v/o's normal voice.

I think what you're picking up on is how unnatural it sounds for a Scottish person to be that upbeat, does sound very wrong.

his Rs also trip me up

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The impression I got from playing Rebirth is that Reeve isn’t actually speaking directly through Cait Sith, Cait’s just a little robot buddy that he gives orders to

Gologle posted:

I'm sorry to say that we live in current year and Vincent will not turn into any classic horror movie villains because S-E doesn't want to risk being sued.

frankenstein is public domain and it’d be really easy to make a legally distinct Jason design

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 25 days!)

Cait Sith is Reeve's vtuber account

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Augus posted:

The impression I got from playing Rebirth is that Reeve isn’t actually speaking directly through Cait Sith, Cait’s just a little robot buddy that he gives orders to

there's one part in nibelheim where reeve gets distracted and cait sith is left staring vacantly into space until he can turn his attention back to the party again. it's always been pretty vague exactly how he controls the thing

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Turtle programming in python, obviously.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Now it looks like Cloud IS legitimately seeing across timelines ? So a lot of what in the original game was “this guy is crazy” is a legitimate thing happening to him messing up his perception even more

I certainly hope they go all in on this in the final game. Perform a cut between each chapter start and then alter which reality you're in. Starting subtly and then, like, in chapter 4 or 5 introducing a dead Avalanche member back as a character that has just always been performing logistics for the team or something impossible.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

DalaranJ posted:

I certainly hope they go all in on this in the final game. Perform a cut between each chapter start and then alter which reality you're in. Starting subtly and then, like, in chapter 4 or 5 introducing a dead Avalanche member back as a character that has just always been performing logistics for the team or something impossible.

*laughing in Kotaro Uchikoshi*

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

there's one part in nibelheim where reeve gets distracted and cait sith is left staring vacantly into space until he can turn his attention back to the party again. it's always been pretty vague exactly how he controls the thing

In the original game at least there's a scene where he accidentally mixes up using his Cait Sith voice and his regular voice when trying to talk to the party and Shinra at the same time.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

In Remake , he's get an old school remote control like on a remote control car. The bit where the cat puppet is melodramatically reacting to the plate drop for no discernable reason is Reeve purposely choosing to do that despite there being zero reason to with his 1980 rear end remote.
In Rebirth, he's upgraded to a mo-cap suit that is on at all time, so he's actually running around Shinra HQ like a cat and do cat themed dances all the time.
In Revengeance, he will have surgery to become a cat human hybrid, with thanks to Hojo.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

ulvir posted:

The voice actor is literally Scottish and plays the bagpipes lol

cubicle gangster posted:

Yeah, that

Edit: Cid had that limit Dynamite where he lit the dynamite with his cigarette/cigar, so if he doesn’t smoke then they can’t use that move. Not a huge loss or anything but who knows.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Apr 20, 2024

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

GateOfD posted:

Cait Sith is Reeve's vtuber account

It's better than that. Cait is how Reeve relaxes after a stressful day at work: working at in universe Disneyland making folks happy. It's adorable.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

What is a good use for the Synergy materia

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

DalaranJ posted:

Hideo Kojima’s ff7 (this is such a cool idea)

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The blue one? Comet or petrify on your strongest magic attacker. Free comets all the time is pretty cool

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Another goon recommended Quakera+synergy and a second Quakera+magnify on the same party member
Apparrently it'll trigger the magnify effect as well so you get a lot of mobs being petrified

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

is barrier or protect better

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GateOfD posted:

is barrier or protect better

Barrier is stronger but lasts a much shorter period of time, Protect is weaker but has a much longer duration. Barrier is better to use if you know big damage is coming up or if you're willing to babysit it, protect is fire and foreget.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Barrier has greater effect but shorter duration, same with Shell/Manawall

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Rhonne posted:

He has four limits in the OG, I gotta wonder if we'll get to play as all of them. We already saw Gallian Beast. There's Death Gigas, Hellmasker and Chaos. If I had to cut one, it would be Chaos even though he's Level 4. Visually it's just a boring gargoyle.

cubicle gangster posted:

:lol:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Chaos is the one they made story relevant in Dirge of Cerberus, it's not going anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

drat, Odin fight pissed me off.
Got it after a few attempts of reloading after blowing up 3 Auto-Life Bracelets.

Also about to head into the 2nd round of Golden Saucer. and bunch more sidequests opened up it seemed. Guess I have like 30 more hours of gametime left.

Redid my SP points so I have access to lv3 limit breaks with my team of Cloud, Yuffie and Aerith