Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

ulvir posted:

why does he pronounce his own name wrong?

to not anger the american fans by telling them the pronunciation they made up in their heads nearly thirty years ago is wrong

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Apr 20, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Blockhouse posted:

to not anger the american fans by telling them the pronunciation they made up in their heads nearly thirty years ago is wrong

If this were the case the VAs would be pronouncing it "May-ko" and not 'Mah-ko'

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

If this were the case the VAs would be pronouncing it "May-ko" and not 'Mah-ko'

It's the only thing that makes sense since it's pronounced right in every other voice track

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 25 days!)

i keep forgetting when your team is low hp or in a 'critical state' you have a chance at a free syn. move using one of the off-team members

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Blockhouse posted:

Remembering that Maximilian dood apparently got death threats over joking about cait sith pronunciation on his stream

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Odin felt easier when I just spammed dodge whenever an attack name popped up. I think whiffing attacks counts as a dodge regardless of the timing. Yuffie, Red and Tifa have the best spammable dodges.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 45 minutes!
The Cat Sith is a folklore character from a language which is under threat of extinction and whose speakers have historically been criminalised for using it and a language of which some forms could be dead within a decade.

Death threats are not the right response to someone joking about it. Pronouncing it incorrectly to not upset fanboys, especially when the entire premise of this trilogy is to swerve what you think FF7 is going to be, is also the wrong response.
"i always called it kate sith when i was a kid im not changing it" you poo poo your pants as well all the time when you were a kid do ya still do that actually never mind probably do

Just be respectful of others culture*, not that hard is it.

*played a game 30 years ago and made it your personality is not a culture, despite the insistence of said people
** same goes for reading badly written books about wizards

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Apr 21, 2024

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Find a different loving hill to die on

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Sorry that I didn't somehow know cait sith was supposed to be pronounced 'cat shee' until I did a second year Celtic folklore elective

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Just thinking about how there are still people dying on the hill called "Aeris".

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Just be respectful of others culture*, not that hard is it.

The plot of this game is about how illegal immigrants will destroy the planet, if capitalism doesn't do it first.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ZiegeDame posted:

The plot of this game is about how illegal immigrants will destroy the planet, if capitalism doesn't do it first.

Even if you were trying to hot take this, the plot is literally about how the illegal immigrants were otherized and refused the ability to integrate until they had nothing left but bitterness, and one of the main character's stated goal is to find a way to help them anyway.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Watch Sephiroth start a loving war

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Even if you were trying to hot take this, the plot is literally about how the illegal immigrants were otherized and refused the ability to integrate until they had nothing left but bitterness, and one of the main character's stated goal is to find a way to help them anyway.

Maybe they should have come in legally then.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

ZiegeDame posted:

What game are you playing?

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

ImpAtom posted:

War hero learns his mother wasn't from here, immediately murders an entire town.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ZiegeDame posted:

War hero learns his mother wasn't from here, immediately murders an entire town.

That is literally the opposite of what happened. War hero thought his mother was more from here than anyone else.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

ZiegeDame posted:

no it isn’t

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
The Gi aren't of the planet, is not accepted by the lifestream, cannot die, and wants off the ride by destroying everything via the black materia which they themselves created. That's extremely convenient for Sephiroth. I wonder how Sephiroth intends to use it in a way that his ambitions are fulfilled and not the Gi's?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

The Gi aren't of the planet, is not accepted by the lifestream, cannot die, and wants off the ride by destroying everything via the black materia which they themselves created. That's extremely convenient for Sephiroth. I wonder how Sephiroth intends to use it in a way that his ambitions are fulfilled and not the Gi's?

I don't think Sephiroth particularly cares if the Gi's plans succeed because his plan is to slurp the ape planet instead.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

a lotta yall still dont get it

hojo can use multiple slurp cells on a single jenova project

so if you have 1 astro jenova and 3 test subjects you can create 3 new sephiroth clones

Tonight’s slurp reunion is essentially a minting event for both jenovas and sephiroths

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I have never been so happy to not know what the hell someone is talking about before

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

That is literally the opposite of what happened. War hero thought his mother was more from here than anyone else.

I kind of wonder if things would have played out differently if Sephiroth figured out at the start that Gast had made a really, really incorrect assumption. Probably not, though.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
Want to thank this thread for some advice earlier for Gears and Gambits. Now I'm just Three Cactuar Crush away from max party lvl.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Just hit Gongaga on my hard mode run, and the inability to save materia sets is really dragging down the experience. Really hope they fix that in the next game.

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold

Josuke Higashikata posted:

the entire premise of this trilogy is to swerve what you think FF7 is going to be

The swerves only really happen in the last hour or so of each of these games and so far have had little impact on the OG plot. Not sure what you’re getting at.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I wish there was a materia kinda like Added Effect in OG for offense. Warding materia is the equivalent for defense. Something where you link it to poison/time/etc and get an ability that inflicts damage and causes the status effect.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

deoju posted:

I wish there was a materia kinda like Added Effect in OG for offense. Warding materia is the equivalent for defense. Something where you link it to poison/time/etc and get an ability that inflicts damage and causes the status effect.

I agree, that would be really helpful. Maybe too strong for something like Sleep?

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I agree, that would be really helpful. Maybe too strong for something like Sleep?

Cloud raising his buster sword and whispering "Sleep." before he swings it.

The rest of the party looks on in horror.

[Edit] Barret/Aerith put on their sunglasses because they know they're in the splash zone.

MadFriarAvelyn fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Apr 23, 2024

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Please look forward to the Media Literacy Materia in Part 3.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Yeah, it could get overpowered pretty quickly. Maybe something where you only get a certain percent of the status effects normal duration. 30% at level 1, 40% at level 2, 50% at level 3, etc. But even at max level it won't last as long as just casting the spell.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Already sad that Added Effect + Hades is not gonna be a thing cause it's such a funny combo.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Monsters get immunity from status effects after they're applied a certain number of times so I'm not sure that'd really work out

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

The Hades summon is gonna be so loving cool in part 3.

I wonder if he'll move around like the other summons, or if he'll just show up with his magic cauldron and occasionally throw gently caress-off magic at enemies.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

It'd be rad to tie him to Bone Village as a region.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
The best thing about bone village is the crashed american fighter jet. They better keep it there.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 25 days!)

They really overhauled Cid's personality didn't they, just a regular old happy sailor

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Got to (ch13 optional content) Gilgamesh island last night. I got down two of the fights without much issues but Phoenix and kujata are being a real pain. First try I focused down kujata but then phoenix used rebirth killing 2/3 of my party and resting kujata. But I can't focus phoenix while kujata is alive, am I missing a trick? Also the incidental damage seems way higher than in the other fights.

Looking it up I might be a bit under leveled at 48, but considering I oneshot the other two fights without too many problems I feel I should be able to handle this.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Mainwaring posted:

Got to (ch13 optional content) Gilgamesh island last night. I got down two of the fights without much issues but Phoenix and kujata are being a real pain. First try I focused down kujata but then phoenix used rebirth killing 2/3 of my party and resting kujata. But I can't focus phoenix while kujata is alive, am I missing a trick? Also the incidental damage seems way higher than in the other fights.

Looking it up I might be a bit under leveled at 48, but considering I oneshot the other two fights without too many problems I feel I should be able to handle this.

I really wanted to do this before beating the game but considering how long it took me to beat Odin at the lowest challenge level, the idea of doing that with another summon there too just exhausts me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt

Mainwaring posted:

this one gave me bother too, I had to come back to it after levelling some matera first

basically just make sure to level your elemental materias at least to level 2 (level 3 if you can) and pair one with fire & Ice, the other with fire. that combo on two of your party members defences will help enormously cut the damange.
There's essentially three phases:
Phase 1 you have to take out Kujata first before you can even damage Pheonix so just fully concentrate on him.
Phase 2 will always start with Pheonix re-raising Kujata but once that's done you can just go ham on Pheonix and burn it down as quick as possible - just keep an eye on Kujata and hit him with opposing elements to prevent Tri Disaster.
Phase 3 is just one on one with whatever's left of Kujata and you're home free.