Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 25 days!)

Cleaning up all the new quests in chapter 12. Spent a good like 5 or so hours on that somehow and other things. Got the pirate treasure, and finally back at Golden Saucer.

Still have no idea where the hell the pathway to the inn at Cosmo Canyon is, been running around the place so many times trying to figure it out.

The single player Gus monster battles was okay, other than Aerith. Those drat fireballs just kept stunlocking me on many attempts. Just spent forever running around throwing pot shots til I staggered one and was able to use a summon.

What did everyone use their magnifys on?
At first I put it on an attack spell, but its situations where I actually care about fights with a bunch of mobs was scarce. I guess its good for big bosses with breakable parts, but I ended up finding putting on Healing materia brings a lot of value. Easy way to top off the entire team quickly and clean. Or just start off with team regen.

Got my second on, and used it for bravery, but that's just a filler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

GateOfD posted:

The single player Gus monster battles was okay, other than Aerith. Those drat fireballs just kept stunlocking me on many attempts. Just spent forever running around throwing pot shots til I staggered one and was able to use a summon.

I don’t know what the intended way to do that is supposed to be other than perfect blocking the fireballs or having level 2 elemental materia matched to fire (mine was only level 1). But it’s actually trivially easy if you just run around, cast transcendence, wait for it to charge, cast again, rinse and repeat. It’s a foolproof, but very tedious way to win. I’m not really sure what the devs were thinking with that fight.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I only really use Magnify with attack spells in the postgame or for arena fights against tons of annoying enemies who can be blown up (like cactuars). For most of the story I had one Magnify on a Recovery materia and another on a Time one, though I did use it with a Barrier materia for some fights for a quick full-party Manawall.

Red XIII being able to full-party Haste with an ability also made the Magnify-Time combo less crucial than it was in Remake, at least when I had Red XIII in the party. Usually if I had to split my party in two, I'd have Red XIII in one crew and the Magnify-Time combo equipped on someone in the other.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I don’t know what the intended way to do that is supposed to be other than perfect blocking the fireballs or having level 2 elemental materia matched to fire (mine was only level 1). But it’s actually trivially easy if you just run around, cast transcendence, wait for it to charge, cast again, rinse and repeat. It’s a foolproof, but very tedious way to win. I’m not really sure what the devs were thinking with that fight.

Use Lustrous Shield to block their ranged attacks, and maybe run around a bit if they come too far forward.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GateOfD posted:

They really overhauled Cid's personality didn't they, just a regular old happy sailor

So that actually is Cid's personality in the original game. It's thrown off by two things:

His introduction being his incredibly awful treatment of Shera, which is not the norm for him for the rest of the game. The players are introduced to him that way however so it tends to stand out, whereas here you get to see his other side first.

The original translation significantly played up Cid's 'rear end in a top hat' factor, especially in how it used cursing, which gave him a different feeling from the "Hotshot vet ace pilot" thing they were going for.

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Transcendence is one of those abilities I completely overlooked until really late on, it just absolutely melts single targets

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Cavelcade posted:

Use Lustrous Shield to block their ranged attacks, and maybe run around a bit if they come too far forward.

That didn’t work for me at all. I just couldn’t build ATB fast enough to keep the shield up and actually do damage in the time it took them to close in and walk right through it.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

the lustrous shield could stand to be about 20% bigger so it can actually shield the whole body

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Or just make it a circle around Aerith so it would be actually worth using

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

The Stop on staggered opponent tip a few pages ago is an S-class move, because otherwise, especially with how long these lv3 limit breaks take, by the time its over, the enemy will already be out of stagger on regular time, giving no time to attempt to build up stagger% (which i do have to work on as well)

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
How much game is left if I just got to Gongaga? Still loving it but I've started skipping poo poo. Haven't gotten the summons after Titan and dunno if I'll bother with Gold Saucer at all unless there's something especially good you can get from there. I did go back and do those vr fights though. Some good materia behind those. Namely provoke and elemental. I am guessing the main stat boosters are also pretty good for hard mode? Vitality, spirit, etc.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

still a ton

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

You probably have like 40-50 hours or so of game left if you do everything. Maybe like 20-25 hours if you only do main story stuff. That being said, the Corel prison- Gongaga section is the nadir of the game in terms of exploration. All the side quests and such continue to be available later, so don't feel like it's required to do it all right now.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Holy poo poo. Cool cool. I've been trying to just take my time with this, and definitely have done a decent chunk of side stuff, but I'm kinda surprised there's this much game left. Guess I'll be playing it into summer lol.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Heithinn Grasida posted:

That didn’t work for me at all. I just couldn’t build ATB fast enough to keep the shield up and actually do damage in the time it took them to close in and walk right through it.

What I did, specifically, was have first stike on her. Dropped a Lustrous Ward immediately which blocked any of the projectiles that would knock her out of casting, then built up ATB enough to drop a radiant ward and then started casting magnified blizzara spells.

If I really wanted to cheese it, I'd have gone back and do elemental materia defence against fire but I wanted to see if the shield would work. It did heavy lifting!

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

unattended spaghetti posted:

Holy poo poo. Cool cool. I've been trying to just take my time with this, and definitely have done a decent chunk of side stuff, but I'm kinda surprised there's this much game left. Guess I'll be playing it into summer lol.

Yeah multiple reviews have literally complained about too much content because they're morons. Eurogamer being a particular example

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
G

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Yeah multiple reviews have literally complained about too much content because they're morons. Eurogamer being a particular example

I mean to be fair not all side content is created equal and I do think there are some negative downstream effects for having so much stuff. Chief among them are the negative impact on narrative pacing, the reinforcement of the fallacy that every AAA game has to totally eat your life, and the fact that the uneven quality is most likely a direct result of the focus on quantity.

But eh, I just do the stuff I want to and skip the stuff I don't and that's okay. Though I really hate, as I mentioned before, some of the decisions around which rewards are gated behind mini game completion. Putting time materia behind that God awful shooting game is not good no matter how you slice it. Hope I'll get to buy it soon.

Funny enough, the stuff that players hate on most aggressively, the open world activity trend, has been pretty okay in my book. Fights with optional objectives are fun to do, the divine and life spring stuff is over quick, the towers are a little dumb but also quite quick, relic quests are only as good as the gimmick but they always have entertaining story stuff behind them, etc etc.

unattended spaghetti fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Apr 23, 2024

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i mean if there's one "series" where moving to an open world is obviously appropriate, it's a remake series of ff7 where the second game is, loosely, disc 2

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
If Lustrous Shield was just a force field around Aeris The Incident In The Original Game would not have happened

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Having just finished Rebirth, even that possible ability is explained around.

loving Crisis of Infinite Aeriths man.

I do like that my boy Zack gets to show he can still beat Sephiroth's rear end just as well as Cloud, too.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I like the implication that if there is ever a lot of fire blazing across a swath of ground Sephiroth literally cannot stop himself from slowly turning away from it

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

I really hope there's a fight against Elena at Icicle Inn in R3 that you can instantly end by dodging Elena Knuckle.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

GateOfD posted:

Still have no idea where the hell the pathway to the inn at Cosmo Canyon is, been running around the place so many times trying to figure it out.

Aren’t there guidepost people you can talk to in Cosmo Canyon to warp directly to the inn?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BisbyWorl posted:

I really hope there's a fight against Elena at Icicle Inn in R3 that you can instantly end by dodging Elena Knuckle.

They actually already referenced that. If you dodge it in the mines near the cliff she goes right over

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i mean if there's one "series" where moving to an open world is obviously appropriate, it's a remake series of ff7 where the second game is, loosely, disc 2

Rebirth is basically just disc 1. Disc 2 opens immediately after The Spoiler. It's always funny how much the 2nd 2 discs are all cinematics with comparatively little gameplay content.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Unreal_One posted:

Rebirth is basically just disc 1. Disc 2 opens immediately after The Spoiler. It's always funny how much the 2nd 2 discs are all cinematics with comparatively little gameplay content.

isn't the last disc just the final dungeon and bisz?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah that's pretty much the case for all of the PS1 Final Fantasies. The last disc is basically just the final dungeon, the ending FMVs, and whatever assets they could squeeze in for endgame side content. In FF8 and 9 they block off a bunch of areas on the last disc, too, to save disc space by not having to include them.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Yea I remember thinking what the gently caress they cut out all the content when I got to the final disc of FF8. I had this epic journey all the way up to this point and now it's like welp you can't go back anymore, just an empty world map with nothing to do now. This was the first time I was distinctly bummed out by a game as a kid. I know that lore-wise the gang's in the far past/present/future amalgamation, but it still sucked seeing all the towns and hubs inaccessible.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I know that lore-wise the gang's in the far past/present/future amalgamation

please respect the Time Kompression

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

i hate any fights with the drat sandworm, i'm like half the arena away from it and I still get loving swallowed by the stupid thing

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

GateOfD posted:

i hate any fights with the drat sandworm, i'm like half the arena away from it and I still get loving swallowed by the stupid thing

I am so loving glad it isn't just me.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
We have proven categorically that the sandworms are flagrantly cheating with their swallow move so there's no need to have any hesitation in not respecting them.

e: https://imgur.com/a/n2tXbHq

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
That intel with them that demands you don't get swallowed was the biggest idgaf moment for me lol

Also I hate enemies that counter like Cloud does. This is more a disability issue since I can't always see when they're guarding. But game would be improved if there were more audio cues for stuff. At least pressure and stagger have audio associated.

Deathclaws are fun to fight though. Probably my favorite normal enemy.

unattended spaghetti fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Apr 24, 2024

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
Does anyone else just use Barret as The Party's HP Pool?

I went the whole game and mostly just started every fight with:

>Switch to Barret
-Overcharge for 1 ATB
-Lifesaver
-Overcharge & Chakra with 3x Selfish recovery.

I rarely ever had to cast Cure.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Finished Blood Queen stuff.
The ending was pretty anime, but the card game itself was a snoozefest, Triple Triad stays king.
Wonder if anyone is gonna put out an online pvp out there, still nothing I would care for.

I used the same random rear end of card deck I made in the beginning of the game since Rank 2, which was a mix of Replace/destroy buff cards that looked okay, and replaced maybe 2-3 cards the whole game, and it took me all the way to finishing off blood queen.

GateOfD fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Apr 24, 2024

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

GateOfD posted:

I'm convinced it's literally unavoidable if you don't use Tifa or Yuffie's perfect dodge abilities

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Augus posted:

I'm convinced it's literally unavoidable if you don't use Tifa or Yuffie's perfect dodge abilities

It is absolutely avoidable, you just have to dodge once it is coming down and not before. It has tracking on you before that so if you try to dodge while it is going up it's going to hit you. (That is what happened in that gif posted earlier too.) You can even use Aerith's teleport to dodge as long as you do it late enough. It's one of those moves designed to trick you to responding early so you eat poo poo.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

War Wizard posted:

Does anyone else just use Barret as The Party's HP Pool?

I went the whole game and mostly just started every fight with:

>Switch to Barret
-Overcharge for 1 ATB
-Lifesaver
-Overcharge & Chakra with 3x Selfish recovery.

I rarely ever had to cast Cure.

Barret’s “class” design is tank, isn’t this the intended usage?

motherbox
Jul 19, 2013

berenzen posted:

You probably have like 40-50 hours or so of game left if you do everything. Maybe like 20-25 hours if you only do main story stuff. That being said, the Corel prison- Gongaga section is the nadir of the game in terms of exploration. All the side quests and such continue to be available later, so don't feel like it's required to do it all right now.

I just got to the same point and am nowhere near ready for the game to end. My understanding is I have a couple of frustrating minigames coming up, but I've really been enjoying the journey in a way that few videogames have managed to do for me in the past. I've been voracious in clearing out every difficulty of every minigame as I can, and its been a wonderful experience for someone who doesn't really have a ton of time to play on a given night. I turn on the game and I don't know what I'm going to get. Sometimes it's two hours with my favorite combat system in any RPG ever, sometimes its Mario Kart, sometimes it's clearing out the open world, but I've so consistently enjoyed everything it's thrown at me enough that I haven't yet hit the sensation of "gently caress ENOUGH already" even for things I don't totally like (closest I came was crunches). I'll be curious to see if that feeling creeps up towards the end.

Also ready to be disappointed with the plot, but I am one-hundred percent totally satisfied so far with how they've used dramatic awareness of the original story. After Remake it was pretty clear that the entire thrust of this game would be a "will they or won't they" regarding That Scene, and I think the execution there has been phenomenal, but it's the things that I didn't expect it to enhance that I've been really impressed by. The party's reaction to Cloud's mental health, the constant and relentless theme of loss in the side stories and new quests, the inescapable feeling of apocalypse...it feels every aspect of the game has succeed in doing what they've done with the soundtrack: taken the original and elaborated on and reinterpreted it in in a way that makes me love it even more.

I recall someone linking an article before the game came out where the director said that he'd never been more confident in a game before releasing it, and I totally see why. They have something truly special here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

motherbox posted:

I just got to the same point and am nowhere near ready for the game to end. My understanding is I have a couple of frustrating minigames coming up, but I've really been enjoying the journey in a way that few videogames have managed to do for me in the past. I've been voracious in clearing out every difficulty of every minigame as I can, and its been a wonderful experience for someone who doesn't really have a ton of time to play on a given night. I turn on the game and I don't know what I'm going to get. Sometimes it's two hours with my favorite combat system in any RPG ever, sometimes its Mario Kart, sometimes it's clearing out the open world, but I've so consistently enjoyed everything it's thrown at me enough that I haven't yet hit the sensation of "gently caress ENOUGH already" even for things I don't totally like (closest I came was crunches). I'll be curious to see if that feeling creeps up towards the end.

Also ready to be disappointed with the plot, but I am one-hundred percent totally satisfied so far with how they've used dramatic awareness of the original story. After Remake it was pretty clear that the entire thrust of this game would be a "will they or won't they" regarding That Scene, and I think the execution there has been phenomenal, but it's the things that I didn't expect it to enhance that I've been really impressed by. The party's reaction to Cloud's mental health, the constant and relentless theme of loss in the side stories and new quests, the inescapable feeling of apocalypse...it feels every aspect of the game has succeed in doing what they've done with the soundtrack: taken the original and elaborated on and reinterpreted it in in a way that makes me love it even more.

I recall someone linking an article before the game came out where the director said that he'd never been more confident in a game before releasing it, and I totally see why. They have something truly special here.

I loving love posts like this! I'm a bit less tolerant of its excess than you are but otherwise feel the exact same way. It is the best case scenario for refurbishing nostalgia. And the constant stream of novelty really helps something so long never feel lazy or padded in execution.

And man there are so many bosses. So so many bosses.

Also, apropos of nothing really I love Palmer in this. Like I knew they'd nail every character but something about that little freak in particular just hits right. What a little doof he is!

unattended spaghetti fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Apr 24, 2024