Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Hey okay so I'm like 15 minutes into Rebirth, what the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

WHAT THE gently caress IS GOING ON

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
Yeah that'll happen.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

you’re in for a helluva game

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm finished the game and I'm still not sure lol

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

Hey okay so I'm like 15 minutes into Rebirth, what the gently caress

lol

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Waffleman_ posted:

:getin:

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold

unattended spaghetti posted:

I am guessing the main stat boosters are also pretty good for hard mode? Vitality, spirit, etc.

The offensive ones are what get used most often : magic up, strength up. MP up and HP ups are useful. MP absorb is very good for hard. Many end up running hard mode in which one character is running as a wizard spamming magnify-aga spells everywhere along with HP/MP absorb/magic up, and that will kill most things for free except some of the harder bosses in which more fiddling is required. Vit/spirit was only really used for some of the harder VR stuff and even then it’s not super needed.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Waffleman_ posted:

:lol: have fun my goon

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That intro is so cheeky

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/choco_pic_ton/status/1783101758757290020/photo/1

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Arkage posted:

The offensive ones are what get used most often : magic up, strength up. MP up and HP ups are useful. MP absorb is very good for hard. Many end up running hard mode in which one character is running as a wizard spamming magnify-aga spells everywhere along with HP/MP absorb/magic up, and that will kill most things for free except some of the harder bosses in which more fiddling is required. Vit/spirit was only really used for some of the harder VR stuff and even then it’s not super needed.

Cool. Haven't seen any offensive stuff yet but I'll keep an eye out. Definitely interested in at least dipping a toe into hard mode so the info is much appreciated.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Man, would it have killed them to make Cid and Vincent guest characters like Nanaki in Remake? They could literally have just been in 2 battles each. One in the Reno and Rude fight in the Temple of the Ancients, another in the Elena and Tseng fight. And then again in 2 of the many Sephiroth fights. Just having Cid use Jump and toss potions and Vincent do some gun attacks like Rufus would add a lot. Neat. But they over did the horny on Aerith

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Chapter 1 done

the fuckin grunt going "Mo..." god drat they are claws out

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 23 days!)

Did the date with Tifa. Wish that as long as you meet the requirements, you could choose which date to do. That way I can have a save file to view all of them instead of having to go to youtube to watch the ones I couldn't see.

and reached chapter 13, how much do I have left? I guess maybe 5 hours?

Story stuff.

The Loveless play was nice. T_T RIP Jessie, so miss you.

Aerith's song T_T
lol @ Cid being asleep for it all.
Private time in the skywheel with Tifa. Got the kiss.
oh btw, remember when you almost killed me and made me fall off a cliff into an almost watery grave? Time sure flies.

drat you Cait Sith, you traitor, this is why I never used you. You are not my friend. The Rufus fight was really annoying, hate that when its a fight where you want to block/dodge, they make it as hard to do so as possible.

Final Protorelics
omg...double summon battles. I managed to do Titan and Bahamut, but tried the Phoenix and Kajuta and was like "yea no." and pushed it down to Easy mode for these. No shame.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

GateOfD posted:

Did the date with Tifa. Wish that as long as you meet the requirements, you could choose which date to do. That way I can have a save file to view all of them instead of having to go to youtube to watch the ones I couldn't see.

You can do that once you beat the game. Don't even have to meet the requirements.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
I just started FF7 rebirth as well. I'm on chapter 2 and have mostly just been doing all the open world stuff before handling the story stuff.

Also, am I the only one who doesn't hate Mai? I like her but apparently the rest of the internet hates her and wants her to shut up

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Willo567 posted:

I just started FF7 rebirth as well. I'm on chapter 2 and have mostly just been doing all the open world stuff before handling the story stuff.

Also, am I the only one who doesn't hate Mai? I like her but apparently the rest of the internet hates her and wants her to shut up

MAI is fine because she doesn't stop me playing the game, but also I turned off sounds from my controller. Apparently she can be pretty loud if you have that on.

Also I just found out that you can see how well you've done in each of the odd jobs (and which character they're for) in chapter select. A tick means partially completed, a star means perfected.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

War Wizard posted:

Does anyone else just use Barret as The Party's HP Pool?

I went the whole game and mostly just started every fight with:

>Switch to Barret
-Overcharge for 1 ATB
-Lifesaver
-Overcharge & Chakra with 3x Selfish recovery.

I rarely ever had to cast Cure.

I kept Provoke on him and when he was in my party I would lifesaver as soon as provoke went off usually

He also gets to 2 atb so fast you can prayer spam

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I think it's kinda funny that even with the Power of the PlayStation 5, it's still impossible for a video game to show a character sleeping under the covers of a bed

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Willo567 posted:

Nah she and her counterpart are fine. I think people are being weird about it.

Saying "cloud," in Chadley's chipper obnoxious tone is like a call and response for my gf and I from across the house lol.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I honestly found Chadley and MAI a pretty funny pair and I don't really understand being super annoyed by MAI especially. Maybe if I hadn't turned off the controller speaker she'd bug me more?

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Chadley's problem is how regularly he interrupts me when I just want to play the game to say "Well done!" when I just want to move on. His personality is fine and his lore dumps when you break one of the summon guide boxes are good, but let me play the game.

The conclusion to his world Intel stuff had me forgive a lot of that, though.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

MAI is fine, she's established right away as being a cheery information kiosk attendant and she sticks to that role. Chadley's schtick of constantly throwing shade at Cloud / the player without realizing he's being a passive-aggressive dick can get a little grating sometimes, but the rage he seems to incite in some people is kinda silly.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

End of Ch 1

I don't remember, was the original game this immediate about Tifa going "What the gently caress is Cloud talking about?" At the very least, I don't think she directly confronted him about it like here.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

End of Ch 1

I don't remember, was the original game this immediate about Tifa going "What the gently caress is Cloud talking about?" At the very least, I don't think she directly confronted him about it like here.

It definitely wasn't. Tifa being more assertive about her memories not matching up with Cloud's is a new element for Rebirth.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

She did not, it took her way longer to get to that point in OG

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

I think it's kinda funny that even with the Power of the PlayStation 5, it's still impossible for a video game to show a character sleeping under the covers of a bed

They managed to pull it off in Deadly Premonition!

Poor Barret doesn't even get to sleep in a bed most of the time.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I do wish they'd at least had the characters change clothes for bed, or like bare minimum have Cloud take off his rusty-rear end pauldron. I played Infinite Wealth right after FF7 Rebirth and they had characters changing clothes for realistic reasons like going to bed, so I know it's possible!! Maybe in part 3... (probably not)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harrow posted:

I do wish they'd at least had the characters change clothes for bed, or like bare minimum have Cloud take off his rusty-rear end pauldron. I played Infinite Wealth right after FF7 Rebirth and they had characters changing clothes for realistic reasons like going to bed, so I know it's possible!! Maybe in part 3... (probably not)

Cloud hasn't even changed out of the stolen uniform he got given when he was in a coma, you can't expect him to invest in pajamas.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

At least take off the pauldron and gigantic chunky SOLDIER belt! The outfit as a whole looks relatively comfy but there's no way you're comfortable sleeping in all that

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Rhonne posted:

They managed to pull it off in Deadly Premonition!

Poor Barret doesn't even get to sleep in a bed most of the time.

I sleep in a big bed without my wife

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Regulations stipulate that SOLDIERs must be in a battle-ready state at all times and under all conditions. 1st-Class SOLDIER Cloud Strife would never fail to follow regulations and frankly it's insulting and naive for any of you to question him otherwise.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Thundarr posted:

MAI is fine, she's established right away as being a cheery information kiosk attendant and she sticks to that role. Chadley's schtick of constantly throwing shade at Cloud / the player without realizing he's being a passive-aggressive dick can get a little grating sometimes, but the rage he seems to incite in some people is kinda silly.

Yeah that’s fair the passive aggression is kinda annoying. But to me it’s less annoying in terms of characterization and more in terms of like, the developers put a lot of shtuff in the game, and someone made the decision to create a character that bugs you about whether you choose to engage with it or not. Kinda weird hand of the author thing going there and I’m not a fan. But as with most game things it’s probs not worth thinking much about lol.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Luxury Tent Carpet posted:

this one gave me bother too, I had to come back to it after levelling some matera first

basically just make sure to level your elemental materias at least to level 2 (level 3 if you can) and pair one with fire & Ice, the other with fire. that combo on two of your party members defences will help enormously cut the damange.
There's essentially three phases:
Phase 1 you have to take out Kujata first before you can even damage Pheonix so just fully concentrate on him.
Phase 2 will always start with Pheonix re-raising Kujata but once that's done you can just go ham on Pheonix and burn it down as quick as possible - just keep an eye on Kujata and hit him with opposing elements to prevent Tri Disaster.
Phase 3 is just one on one with whatever's left of Kujata and you're home free.

Thanks for this, I think if just assumed that phoenix casting rebirth was some kind of failure state. Once I put fire elemental defence on two characters the fight was actually way easier than the other two. And then the final fight after that was awesome and even hinted at content for the next FFXIV expansion which was neat!

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 23 days!)

got genji down.
once i started abusing Aerith's infinite loop limit break trick with limit siphon

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
My problem with MAI is that she has 2 minutes of dialogue during a fight with a 3 minute timer. I don't want to wait around before the fight while she goes on and on with flavor text, but when the fight starts all her audio is garbled over the sound effects and audio cues from the fight.

Also, I did some testing with Jump. Turns out if you're down to one party member (or in a solo match) it works instantly. It's still 2 ATB for an attack that's essentially just 1.15x braver, but you can put MP absorb on it for added utility. Another problem with it though, is the main damage component of it comes from hitting the ground, so it'll only do a tiny bit of chip damage against flying enemies.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

So you're saying Jump is good for that one fight in chapter 12 that throws a lot of people.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

Thundarr posted:

So you're saying Jump is good for that one fight in chapter 12 that throws a lot of people.

I made use of it in Cait Sith's legendary bout. Used it for MP regen to keep casting Reraise during the final fight. :sweatdrop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
When MAI says "though I suspect it wasn't a problem" when I get all the objectives done it's very adorable and wholesome and makes the tedium worth it.

Chadley is a very good boy and probably likes wearing shorts because they're comfy and easy to wear, but it'd be nice if he'd stop making me do the "pull out the thing" thing every time I do a thing, just chat through the microphone.