Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Ace Transmuter posted:

Chadley is a very good boy and probably likes wearing shorts because they're comfy and easy to wear, but it'd be nice if he'd stop making me do the "pull out the thing" thing every time I do a thing, just chat through the microphone.

This is probably my only complaint about the game. Slow animation out of a thing, try to start moving only for another animation so Chadley can say “wow great good job”. If it was more seamless, especially when it led to opening the map briefly, it’d be less annoying. Heck, just do the mix thing and let me hit the middle pad if I want to see the new location.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

When you're trying to tick off all the region quests it's so unnecessary to interrupt you every single time to say 'Congrats on doing the thing you just did.'

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
he only gives you a generic congrats for the summon stones, the others are paired off and he calls you up to notify you of a new reward with each pair

still too frequent though

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

oh, don't give me a card game

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Who's idea was it to put the checkpoints for the final boss fight before the long unskipable cutscenes between phases?

e: Speaking of, is there a way to pressure the Bahamut Arisen Whisper or is my only hope of beating that phase on hard to just go absolutely ham and pray I can kill him before his big cutscene attack wipes my party?

ZiegeDame fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Apr 26, 2024

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

ZiegeDame posted:

Who's idea was it to put the checkpoints for the final boss fight before the long unskipable cutscenes between phases?

e: Speaking of, is there a way to pressure the Bahamut Arisen Whisper or is my only hope of beating that phase on hard to just go absolutely ham and pray I can kill him before his big cutscene attack wipes my party?

I think they started doing this FFVII Intermission DLC and it drove me nuts because Yuffie's final boss wasnt exactly easy and it had a long cutscene between phases

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

ZiegeDame posted:

Just use Manaward + Magnify

e: Also, probably the same person who decided to put the Chapter 12 starting point at the beginning of the trip with the Bronco down the river, instead of after it

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Ometeotl posted:

Just use Manaward + Magnify

There are not enough Magnify materia to guarantee I get someone with this setup in my party.

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009
Question: is it doable for me to the get through the entirety of the game on Normal using each character's starter weapon? Cloud with the Buster Sword, etc. I'm up to Gongaga and haven't had any problems thus far but I wanna know if I'm gonna get wrecked in the endgame (which given than I'm 60 hours in and only at Chapter 9 will likely be several months away).

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Psycho Mantits posted:

Question: is it doable for me to the get through the entirety of the game on Normal using each character's starter weapon? Cloud with the Buster Sword, etc. I'm up to Gongaga and haven't had any problems thus far but I wanna know if I'm gonna get wrecked in the endgame (which given than I'm 60 hours in and only at Chapter 9 will likely be several months away).

Weapons fill niches rather than using a tier system. You should be fine. That said, learn the weapon abilities off each successive one or you're gimping yourself for no reason.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The main advantage later weapons get is that they tend to start with more materia slots at any given weapon level.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Clarste posted:

The main advantage later weapons get is that they tend to start with more materia slots at any given weapon level.

Lol omg I'm dumb there's that too. Though now I'm wondering cause I'm quite in attentive, do weapons gain slots as the weapon level goes up?

For that matter, are party level and weapon level both tied to sp?
The folio and weapon progression systems feel a touch opaque and I still don't entirely know what triggers progress. It seems like side quests, mostly, plus the books. But sometimes I get sp and don't know why lmao

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Weapons level up, as they level up they get more bonus perks and materia slots. It's totally ok to stay with the buster sword since it's got a good balance of attack power, magic power, perks and slots.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 23 days!)

the biggest heart attack I had was doing the special fiend hunt of an area, and messed up so I went to restart and accidentally hit "go to last checkpoint" instead of last battle" and potentially lost like 4 hours of gametime and went back to the start of the entire checklist of the area when I was almost finished.
luckily going back to the checkpoint didn't affect the autosave slot, so I was able to load that one to before the drat Malboro.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I have no loving clue why that's ever an option. Yes I had so much trouble with this boss that I want to reload the start of the chapter which was 10 loving hours of open-worlding ago.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

ZiegeDame posted:

Doesn't it pressure the same way as the normal one? Use Synergy skills and abilities on it when you're "infected" with its unique status effect.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

War Wizard posted:

Doesn't it pressure the same way as the normal one? Use Synergy skills and abilities on it when you're "infected" with its unique status effect.

It doesn't drop those particles, no. I eventually got it by giving up and just hoarding ATB and playing defensively, so when I survived the big attack with single-digit hp I could drop Prayer and Watcher's Respite immediately.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
I finished replaying Remake(I was still in the mood for more FF after Rebirth) and it made me wish Rebirth had a day/night cycle or something because Midgar looks real good at night and I bet a lot of areas in Rebirth would, too.

It also reminded me that one of the funnier bits of Shinra's dumb Neo-Midgar plan is that they still haven't finished building all of regular Midgar. There's still a whole plate under construction but President Shira is bored of the place already.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rhonne posted:

I finished replaying Remake(I was still in the mood for more FF after Rebirth) and it made me wish Rebirth had a day/night cycle or something because Midgar looks real good at night and I bet a lot of areas in Rebirth would, too.

It also reminded me that one of the funnier bits of Shinra's dumb Neo-Midgar plan is that they still haven't finished building all of regular Midgar. There's still a whole plate under construction but President Shira is bored of the place already.

To be fair I think it is less bored and more "Midgar is a literal cancer on the world and has drained all the life from miles around and mutated all nearby animals into horrible beasts, we want somewhere new and fresh where the rats don't suddenly Parasite Eve on us."

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
I figured it was less that and more "we make more money by building a new Midgar than fixing the old one. There's no profit in maintenance."

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Rhonne posted:

Not only is Midgar still unfinished while Shinra's planning to abandon it in favour of some hot new thing, but the stuff that's barely 30 years old at this point is already starting to crumble to pieces because Shinra sucks. I'm surprised more parts of the plate haven't collapsed like Sector 6 did.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

People often like to point out the somewhat amusing timeline in FFVIII, where things that sound like distant history actually took place like 80 years ago, but FFVII's got some of that, too. Shinra's massive, world-changing rise to power? Took place over about 30 years.

It really puts into perspective how drastically and suddenly the world has changed leading up to FFVII's story.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To be fair 30 years ago from today was 1994, so "the world changes absurdly drastically in 30 years" is pretty reasonable.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oh definitely. Plus we know what an insanely powerful energy source mako is, plus magic is real, so it's not unbelievable at all that Shinra could do everything they did so quickly. It just really highlights what a period of seismic change it's been.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Not only is Midgar still unfinished while Shinra's planning to abandon it in favour of some hot new thing, but the stuff that's barely 30 years old at this point is already starting to crumble to pieces because Shinra sucks. I'm surprised more parts of the plate haven't collapsed like Sector 6 did.

They are an absurdly lovely company. Reeve is the only one who actually wants to do a good job for the people and everyone on the board hates him.

They really lucked into being the first to discover Mako energy and finding Jenova to empower all their super soldiers.

Rhonne fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Apr 26, 2024

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Harrow posted:

People often like to point out the somewhat amusing timeline in FFVIII, where things that sound like distant history actually took place like 80 years ago, but FFVII's got some of that, too. Shinra's massive, world-changing rise to power? Took place over about 30 years.

It really puts into perspective how drastically and suddenly the world has changed leading up to FFVII's story.

It also puts it in to perspective just how devastating Mako reactors are because Mako power has only been around for like 40-ish years and the planet is already on death's doorstep just from a handful of reactors existing.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Replaying on hard mode and noticed this...

Man, where have I heard that line before? Oh yeah, that other time two warriors dueled in an arena for the corrupt son of a dead ruler...

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Chapter 2

What do you mean I FIGHT the Midgardsormr?!

E: :catstare:

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Apr 27, 2024

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

I’m gonna do it.
Gonna finish this weekend.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Finished this huge dumb long amazing game and wtf. I pity people who never played the OG game trying to make sense of any of this.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Final dungeon (at least I assume it's the final dungeon) is cool, but the constant switching of party comps is annoying. The UI is just a bit too unwieldy for it and at this point I'm just not bothering to slot materia for some characters unless I really need to.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I always had every character fully kitted because they earn AP for their materia during field battles :shrug:

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Arist posted:

I always had every character fully kitted because they earn AP for their materia during field battles :shrug:

Nah there are two many limited materia I always want to be using in my active party, like elemental and str up. I do occasionally throw stuff I'm not using on inactive party members but it's a mishmash of stuff with no real connection.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Arist posted:

I do too but sometimes you need to swap things around - eg making sure your party always has a assess or a revive. Or you just want to put your highest level poo poo on your current party.

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt
I’m just starting the hard mode but do I need to reset all side quests for extra manuscripts or if I cleared them on the normal run is that all that’s required?

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Luxury Tent Carpet posted:

I’m just starting the hard mode but do I need to reset all side quests for extra manuscripts or if I cleared them on the normal run is that all that’s required?

You'll need to reset your sidequests to do them all on hard for more folios. Just be sure to retain your current quest progress any time you change chapters because you'll need to do every other quest to unlock the final quest.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

I really like the unique action mechanic Aerith has in the final dungeon, very thematic.

Wait, so what is Cloud's unique action? Pushing boxes/vacuuming mako?

tier for that is:

Aerith
Red XIII
Tifa
Yuffie
Cloud
Barret
Cait Sith

GateOfD fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Apr 27, 2024

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

GateOfD posted:

I really like the unique action mechanic Aerith has in the final dungeon, very thematic.

Wait, so what is Cloud's unique action? Pushing boxes/vacuuming mako?

tier for that is:

Aerith
Red XIII
Tifa
Yuffie
Cloud
Barret
Cait Sith

Barret can climb himself up walls with one arm how is he so near the bottom?

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Barret just unloading on rocks and boxes is weirdly satisfying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
Pretty sure Barret had the longest length "climb-jump from this stupid ledge to this stupid ledge, one after another, no variation or complications to be added" sequence during his segment. That was pretty bad.