Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Just casting assess and holding block until an opening comes up to cast their elemental weakness is enough to win 99% of fights.
Most boss fights punish you for attacking, so you wait til they're done whatever they're doing, then attack right after to build up ATB.
There are materia such as steadfast blocking and certain other perks which increases ATB on guarding which caters for players who turtle up and patiently wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I'm on what I assume is the final sequence of the final fight, and I got a game over for the first time and I'm now seeing what everyone was talking about because what the gently caress is the wording on these choices

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Just learned Tifa’s Unbridled Strength and Unfettered Fury do not stack, they’re mutually exclusive and both increase Chi level. Basically Strength does less damage but increases stagger damage more, Fury does more damage(and adds magic damage to it). Wish the game gave you more info about how some skills actually work

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

RatHat posted:

Just learned Tifa’s Unbridled Strength and Unfettered Fury do not stack, they’re mutually exclusive and both increase Chi level. Basically Strength does less damage but increases stagger damage more, Fury does more damage(and adds magic damage to it). Wish the game gave you more info about how some skills actually work

drat what the hell, i just got unfettered fury and had been using both

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rhonne posted:

The funny thing is that time really isn't against them, though. They think they're chasing Sephiroth, but the reality is that he wants Cloud to go and get the Black Materia for him. If they just...didn't go after it, would Sephiroth be able to accomplish any of his goals? I guess Shinra is also after it, but how far would they get without spying on the team?

They really don't know if he would or not. Like they find out about the Black Materia and it becomes a race against time against both him and Shinra, and even the 'defensive measure' of the temple collapsing wouldn't matter much to a dude who can just puppet a robed person to suicide for them.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

It's also worth noting that for a lot of flights, being super agro will work, eventually. But patiently waiting for an opening while you block can actually make the fight end faster thanks to big pressure bonuses when you exploit enemies correctly.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Was anyone ever going to tell me that if you lock on to an enemy and then hold R1 and swap to another character the swapped-to character will teleport next to the enemy

Why does this even work

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Fedule posted:

Was anyone ever going to tell me that if you lock on to an enemy and then hold R1 and swap to another character the swapped-to character will teleport next to the enemy

Why does this even work

No? Are you using a synergy ability? Those will teleport the other character to you(can be useful sometimes to avoid damage)

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Alright I have finished the game and I... don't really know how to feel about it. I don't really feel particularly strong one way or the other about the ending?

The only real thought I have is that it's going to be a bummer next game not getting any Aerith/Tifa BFF scenes anymore

I liked the final fight way more than the first game's, until it got to the mechanic with the wings and it felt like suddenly hitting traffic on the road and slamming the breaks in my car

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

RatHat posted:

That explains why using one replaces the other. They give you different attacks for her triangle unique, as well.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

CapnAndy posted:

There's a lot going on there, it's really good writing. They also all really like him, he's a charismatic dude -- note how he's gone from being literal hired help to the unquestioned leader. And at the same time, they're terrified; if Cloud snaps and goes full Sephiroth, they can do approximately jack poo poo to prevent him from murdering them all. Also, he is, as far as they know, a SOLDIER, and SOLDIERs degenerate; that's just a fact of life. So they're in this situation where nobody wants Cloud to be crazy and getting worse, but he clearly is, and they can't fix it. Giving him a ton of moral support and avoiding his triggers like the plague is their only play.

This entire part of the story was insanely well-executed, really nailed the horror of the situation

Augus fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Mar 27, 2024

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Macaluso posted:

I liked the final fight way more than the first game's, until it got to the mechanic with the wings and it felt like suddenly hitting traffic on the road and slamming the breaks in my car

Thank god they gave us Yuffie

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
Yeah, fighting Rufus on hard can eat an entire bag of dicks. I finally got it done by just going all in on blocking and ATB gain related stuff then using Triple Slash when there was an opening.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Zebulon posted:

Yeah, fighting Rufus on hard can eat an entire bag of dicks. I finally got it done by just going all in on blocking and ATB gain related stuff then using Triple Slash when there was an opening.

That's what I did too. And saving my limit break to absolutely annihilate the dog.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

The final Sephiroth duel on normal is pretty much telling you 'this is how you fight bosses on hard'. Destroying the masamune or the wing on time, Heartless angel reducing the duo's health to 1, and that frantic rush to whittle the last 10% down. You pretty much have to conserve ATB and synergies/limit breaks for key moments or you're boned, something you never really had to think about up to this point. It's an excellent design and one of the best final bosses in any game imo

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

RatHat posted:

No? Are you using a synergy ability? Those will teleport the other character to you(can be useful sometimes to avoid damage)

This is definitely not that. The synergy skills teleport an ally to you. This thing teleports an ally to your targeted enemy.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
That definitely doesn't sound intended

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Fedule posted:

This is definitely not that. The synergy skills teleport an ally to you. This thing teleports an ally to your targeted enemy.
A Bodyguard synergy, maybe?

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Turned game on after work, remembered I’m in the stupid loving box throwing shinra manor mini game and am honestly considering just playing something else and moving on. I literally can’t do this and this shouldn’t even be in the goddamn game. Pure Mario Party filler. God drat it.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

I felt exactly the same way about the cait sith segment and was called insane for it in the ps5 thread. It's mercifully short so just knuckle down and crack on with it. It's worth doing as the game dials the crazy factor up to 11 immediately after. If you need any tips or questions just ask away

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Wamsutta posted:

Turned game on after work, remembered I’m in the stupid loving box throwing shinra manor mini game and am honestly considering just playing something else and moving on. I literally can’t do this and this shouldn’t even be in the goddamn game. Pure Mario Party filler. God drat it.

Idk what you mean? You can sit there and let the minigame part happen. If you turn off motion controls you can just use square to throw a box at a button. It doesn't take long.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I felt exactly the same way about the cait sith segment and was called insane for it in the ps5 thread. It's mercifully short so just knuckle down and crack on with it. It's worth doing as the game dials the crazy factor up to 11 immediately after.

I mean you were just playing the game wrong and saying Cait Sith is badly designed, which is genuinely insane. The boxes are objectively poo poo and the manor's presentation could have been better.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Wamsutta posted:

Switch off motion controls, it's way better. Also if you're having issues with the first throwing puzzle with the rotating funnel I had to stand on the box on the right to consistently throw high enough

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

RatHat posted:

Switch off motion controls, it's way better. Also if you're having issues with the first throwing puzzle with the rotating funnel I had to stand on the box on the right to consistently throw high enough

I’m not using the touch pad for this, turned that off immediately lol. I’m on the rotating funnel and no matter where I stand including the box (which is hard to even get on because of how janky and bad the movement of the moogle is). Why does the moogle have to move so loving slowly? Why does it have to swing its stupid arms like a moron? Just move faster!!!

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Cait Sith is absolutely the worst party member and it's not close.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You can stand on the box to the right by the railings and throw it as high and far as you can, and won't need the funnel for it either. It'll take a couple of tries but it'll bounce around a little bit then land in the container.

You should note there's another minigame shortly after with a time limit, this is entirely optional and does not affect anything, it's just a bit of a let-your-hair-down reprieve. You don't have to engage with it and can simply run the timer down. You just get random consumables like potions, and you won't permanently miss anything

Zedsdeadbaby fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 27, 2024

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Wamsutta posted:

I’m not using the touch pad for this, turned that off immediately lol. I’m on the rotating funnel and no matter where I stand including the box (which is hard to even get on because of how janky and bad the movement of the moogle is). Why does the moogle have to move so loving slowly? Why does it have to swing its stupid arms like a moron? Just move faster!!!

I'm not sure which but you mean. There's always an angle to hit the stuff. If you mean weighting the elevator you need to get on an angle otherwise the boxes just fly over or bounce out. That's the only bit I remember where I let out a genuine sigh at the box stuff.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Wamsutta posted:

Its gotta land in the chute while its moving. At the point it stops its too far away for the box to make it.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

CapnAndy posted:

Cait Sith is absolutely the worst party member and it's not close.

If I ever beat this area I’m legitimately never putting him in the party again, or playing as him for any reason, this segment has made me loving hate him

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I genuinely have a hard time telling the difference between people who are being performatively over-angry and people who are in fact genuinely super angry over a minigame roughly on par with a mediocre Zelda puzzle.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

you should throw the box so it goes in the funnel when the funnel is closest to you, not when the funnel has stopped over the hole all the way in the back. Also aim where it’s going to be, not where it is

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You'll need him for a couple of fights much later on. Just gear him up with a basic yet solid setup such as a couple of elemental materia, some spare buffing materia, and a healing one.

ImpAtom posted:

I genuinely have a hard time telling the difference between people who are being performatively over-angry and people who are in fact genuinely super angry over a minigame roughly on par with a mediocre Zelda puzzle.

In their defense I got frustrated at the cait sith section too so I have a lot of empathy for them hence the advice

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Sic Parvis Magna and all that
So what is everyone's problem with the part where you have to throw the box into the hoop exactly? Is everyone trying to throw the box into the hoop shortly before it stops over the thing that it drops the box into that is a little too far away to reach? The hoop is way closer to you earlier in the spin and if you throw the box into then it holds onto the box until it has to dump it.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Cait Sith owns but the block throwing sucked. Its okay for a one-off minigame to suck tho

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Oh we're talking the bit with the funnel? Just throw it in lol.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's not a great minigame by any means but I'm genuinely amazed at how much of a sticking point it seems to be. Like when I compare it to Zelda puzzles I'm being pretty exact, I'm pretty sure "toss the bomb into a rotating thing" is a puzzle you do multiple times in TOoT. Nobody is defending it as great but neither is it impossible to do.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

It's possible they may not realize the funnel can hold onto the box until it's stopped on the container. I did not realize that for a couple of throws

And some people genuinely struggle with things like this for reasons out of their control so let's not downplay it too much.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Wamsutta posted:

Unsummon the Moogle to move around faster

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

It's possible they may not realize the funnel can hold onto the box until it's stopped on the container. I did not realize that for a couple of throws

And some people genuinely struggle with things like this for reasons out of their control so let's not downplay it too much.

I’m just lovely at things like this and I’m frustrated at what feels like the 50th mini game in Rebirth not being skippable at all, this area and frankly game are just dragging out so much, pull the mini games and you take 30 hours off the play time of this thing

These Adjudicators are each basically boss fights lol god drat I can’t wait to not have to play cait with anymore

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Like I will go on record with my opinion that that section is dogshit, it is garbage, Square Enix should be embarrassed to have shipped it, and other such declarations. But also it wasn't really... very difficult? Very annoying, bafflingly inconsistent, definitely unintuitive, completely unsatisfying, and generally without redeeming features, but also, like. You spend five minutes bored out of your skull and then do some boss fights. It's the kind of dogshit that doesn't really grate because you move past it and it slips right out of your mind unless you're critical and bear grudges.

Maybe there's some incredibly specific part of it that people are getting stuck on in a way that actually affects how possible it is to complete? I don't know. I'd need video.

Also Cait Sith is incredible in combat, on this account in particular the haters are out of their goddamn minds. I'll knock your block off-

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
The box bit sucks sure but it's insane to write off cait as a character for it. Hell moogle magic is one of the most disgustingly op attacks in the game