Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
God drat this final stretch is so long lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

wow that sure is a lot of game that just opened up huh

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I don't understand how to beat what I assume is the final boss. It goes full bullet hell. I know I need to whack him, but when and how. Also make this cutscene skippable

I've died the same way three times with this smug rear end in a top hat using a kill all move straight after a bullet hell segment I don't get it

I also tried to have a summon ready but the game deleted it so it didn't do anything when the phase changed lmao.

I think I've worked it out using my brain let's go again

JBP fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Mar 29, 2024

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Using Counter Stance often was what made the difference for me. It doesn't work against some moves, but knowing when to use it kept my HP up and I spent less time and ATB healing.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

deoju posted:

Using Counter Stance often was what made the difference for me. It doesn't work against some moves, but knowing when to use it kept my HP up and I spent less time and ATB healing.

I just poo poo on him when I retried, all I needed to do was the classic dodge and spam the ranged sword attack when he did the stupid thing.

Anyway now I'm crying good game.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
That last 10% hp circular beams thing? I died quite a few times when I got to that part too, which made me decide to save synergy and limit breaks for it. That did the trick.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

That last 10% hp circular beams thing? I died quite a few times when I got to that part too, which made me decide to save synergy and limit breaks for it. That did the trick.

I somehow never saw this because I staggered that boss at about 15% HP and dropped everything I had to finish him off.

I would have been extremely put off if I'd died in the last stretch like that after running that entire gauntlet, especially after the game crashed on me during the first go.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Yeah you basically need to finish him off right away when he does that or you're screwed. Especially so in Hard mode

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

deoju posted:

There'll be 9 characters in the next game. Hopefully they have a section of 3 parties of 3 like 2 of 3 in the Temple of the Ancients.

Also Cid and Vincent should get sections focused on them.

I'd like to make the prediction that we're going to get a playable character next game that has never been playable before, and it's going to be Rufus

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

bewilderment posted:

So I got to Hard Mode and did chapter 1 of it because that's a freebie.

Looking at the chapter select, it says, e.g. for chapter 2 I only have one manuscript to get. But guides say actually there's a few in there, one of the world intel boss and two more for the sidequests. What's the deal?

Side quest manuscripts show in the quest log instead of chapter select as you can do them in any chapter after they unlock.

bewilderment posted:

Should I just mainline the main story in hard mode and then come back in chapter 12 or 13 to do every sidequest and hit 'reset all sidequests' when I do hard mode chapter 12?

That's what I did, although doing some of the sidequests earlier might help you catch up in level / materia growth - some of the bosses can get pretty nasty, so don't be afraid to jump around a bit. Doing the simulators up to the final Elemental/Magnifiy materias as soon as you can handle them might be a good idea though, you want some levels on them for finishing up the brutal/legendary ones (which should probably be the last thing you do).

The one thing to remember is that once you reset you do *not* want to go back to your old sidequest progress if you've done "Can't stop, won't stop" already, as that will require you to replay all of them. Just reset once and only restore progress when you have the manuscript from that one (and be aware that completion for that quest is currently bugged, so make some backup saves at least before attempting it).

bewilderment posted:

Also I didn't do the final chapter 13 Gilgamesh stuff on normal mode, is there an ideal time to go do that?

Not really, I'd say pretty much as soon as you hit level 70 - he's a bit of a handful at lower levels.

fezball fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Mar 29, 2024

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

fezball posted:

The one thing to remember is that once you reset you do *not* want to go back to your old sidequest progress if you've done "Can't stop, won't stop" already, as that will require you to replay all of them. Just reset once and only restore progress when you have the manuscript from that one (and be aware that completion for that quest is currently bugged, so make some backup saves at least before attempting it).

I'm still unclear about how the side job reset and reload things works. I did all of them in normal mode including Can't Stop Won't Stop, but two aren't medaled (I picked the wrong choice for one of the Junon area quests, and I only won two out of three Gold Cup races). If I reset quests, redo those two, and then reload quest data, does that set all side jobs to complete / medaled? Would I have to do that in normal mode or would running through everything on hard count?

Either way I'm probably going to wait until a patch that fixes the CSWS glitch but it would be good to know so I don't screw myself and have to redo everything.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

Thundarr posted:

If I reset quests, redo those two, and then reload quest data, does that set all side jobs to complete / medaled?

Yes, you never lose medals, it will simply merge the current results into the best ones you've achieved so far. You will, however have to replay quest chains to unlock ones with prerequisites, which is why CSWS can only be replayed by resetting and doing everything (as it only unlocks once every other quest is completed). Which isn't that big a deal as you need to do so for manuscripts anyhow - but if you then restore in between you can go back to a state where it counts as already completed unless you do the full reset/replay again....

Thundarr posted:

Would I have to do that in normal mode or would running through everything on hard count?

For quest completion/medals difficulty doesn't matter, but as you will do the full replay for manuscripts anyhow there's no real point in first replaying side quests on normal for the medal unless you intend to not bother with hard mode.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Cool, thanks.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Macaluso posted:

I'd like to make the prediction that we're going to get a playable character next game that has never been playable before, and it's going to be Rufus

It's gonna be Chadley.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Make Dio playable so I can suplex Shinra goons directly into the lifestream.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Rhonne posted:

It's gonna be Chadley.

No he’s gonna be the final boss

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

HD DAD posted:

No he’s gonna be the final boss

Cloud! I couldn't help but notice you're trying to fix the timestreams. I'm afraid I cannot allow that. You see, I finally have enough data so that my father, Hojo, can finally achieve his dream of seeing if it's possible to breed Squirrels with guns.

Cue 15 minute boss fight narrated by MAI through your controller

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

I got Aerith for the date and now I’m not ready for the ending at all. feel like it’s hitting the foreshadowing super hard and now I’m sad When this game is good, it’s really, really good.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Macaluso posted:

Rufus or one of the Turks makes the most sense yeah. I also wouldn’t be surprised to see Zack as a full party member.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
It still bothers me a lot how light Reno and Rude's characterization is after they killed literal thousands of people at Sector 7. They should not get to be Charismatic Recurring Mini-villains after something like that.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
it bothers me with how much time they wasted on poo poo like dirge of cerberus and crisis core when they should have just waited until 2020 when people who Get It would have started expanding on FF7 on their own

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Gus is such a pitch perfect rendition of a hands on nightclub owner I have worked for this guy multiple times lol

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

here's a tip for everyone, if you turn the difficulty down to easy the seemingly never ending fights go by a lot quicker

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I know it's probably going to be aerith or tifa but I am hoping for a Barret date

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Instant Grat posted:

It still bothers me a lot how light Reno and Rude's characterization is after they killed literal thousands of people at Sector 7. They should not get to be Charismatic Recurring Mini-villains after something like that.

Alas that's just the type of game FF7 is.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I didn't get into ffx for whatever reason, keep meaning to give it another shot but biggs in the hosed up timeline with the big rip in the sky reminds me a lot of the old dude you have in your party at the very start of the game when sin attacks

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Somehow Red was the first character to hit maximum friendship on the smiley gauge for me. I don't know how I managed that. Still in chapter 11 right now so I guess we'll see if he ends up being my saucer date.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

RatHat posted:

Rufus or one of the Turks makes the most sense yeah. I also wouldn’t be surprised to see Zack as a full party member.

I can't see them going outside the mainline party for new playable characters in Part 3. I think the only new* additions are going to be Zack and Aerith and even then it's more a matter of just how playable either is going to be, given their respective multiversal displacement/aliveness status at the end of Rebirth.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Yesss Barret date yeah the boys

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
sephiroth is dangerous and definitely has a screw loose....as does cloud. i can only hope that clouds friends manage to tighten that screw and that sephiroth isn't able to loosen it further

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Somehow Red was the first character to hit maximum friendship on the smiley gauge for me. I don't know how I managed that. Still in chapter 11 right now so I guess we'll see if he ends up being my saucer date.

There are more side quests for Tifa and Barrett later, I had “max” affinity with Red & Aerith before Tifa and Barrett and I still got Tifa for my date.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIwkjac3MGc

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I'm not crying during the musical finale to loveless, you're loving crying during the musical finale to loveless

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
I'm a bit confused about the Chadley-related cutscene during the Nibel protorelic quest. Can someone explain? How is Chadley in Hojo's lab if he's all around the world?

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

lines posted:

I'm a bit confused about the Chadley-related cutscene during the Nibel protorelic quest. Can someone explain? How is Chadley in Hojo's lab if he's all around the world?

I might be wrong but it seemed implied that there were a bunch of failures before our current chadley that he had in his office. I think someone posited at some point that chadley might be a sephiroth clone given cyborg tech and tbh it seems like a good guess given that little bit

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

mistermojo posted:

here's a tip for everyone, if you turn the difficulty down to easy the seemingly never ending fights go by a lot quicker

It's also super easy to avoid encounters in this game, more than I remember from Remake. Even when there's only one path and enemies are right in the way a lot of times you can just hug the edges and a fight won't trigger as long as you don't attack.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I might be wrong but it seemed implied that there were a bunch of failures before our current chadley that he had in his office. I think someone posited at some point that chadley might be a sephiroth clone given cyborg tech and tbh it seems like a good guess given that little bit

Right. It just seemed like *our* Chadley was there, somehow, from how he reacted.

Oh yeah, also, what do the numbers mean on the robed men?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Red's side quests are really frontloaded for some reason. Barret, meanwhile, gets a bunch that open up in chapter 12. Same for Tifa.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Speaking of Red and sidequests: All the pre-Cosmo sidequests he's in have alternate lines depending on if you do them before or after he drops the fake deep growly wise persona

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Introducing a boss like Odin in a game where evades are not like Bayonetta dodges and poo poo is an… interesting choice

Got really close to beating him, definitely going to just cheese him with Cloud’s Punisher mode parry the next time I fight him, gently caress trying to dodge his attacks with his absurd attack tracking and these weak evades