Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Unless the enemies are significantly tuned down how would that even work? Surely if you're not attacking regularly you'll never build stagger or ATB fast enough for the tougher fights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Is there any indication of how many installments it will have? Quick reviews make it seem like after two games they’re not very far into the story.

All the reviews are super positive though, and I’m looking for something to get me through June 21st for Elden Ring.

They are to the end of Disc 1 but it's pretty worthwhile to note that FF7 is insanely frontloaded. Disc 2 is largely a return visit to a lot of places and Disc 3 is literally just the final dungeon + FMVs. So while "They only have finished one disc so far" sounds slow, Disc 2 + 3 just aren't as long.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 17 days!)

We're probably gonna get another Interlude in between like with Yuffie's.
Maybe some some chapters to introduce us to Vincent and Cid's gameplay for a bit

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

Good news, we get a second interlude
Bad news, it’s Chadley

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

GateOfD posted:

For sidequests/overworld, the photos thing was dumb and pointless.

It’s a shame they couldn’t come up with better photo stuff because the Cosmo Canyon sidequest where you can take pictures of Aerith is absolutely chaaarming. But the main meat of that quest and the Gongaga Red XIII are very dull from a gameplay perspective and the Snaps scenic photos are the biggest nothing.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Ror posted:

It’s a shame they couldn’t come up with better photo stuff because the Cosmo Canyon sidequest where you can take pictures of Aerith is absolutely chaaarming. But the main meat of that quest and the Gongaga Red XIII are very dull from a gameplay perspective and the Snaps scenic photos are the biggest nothing.

Actually yeah, they implemented a system of rating and scoring photos and capturing scenes or objects but didn't nothing with it outside of three sidequests.

The snapping locations could have easily had hidden stuff to take photos of rather than just telling you to take a screenshot in photo mode.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

GateOfD posted:

We're probably gonna get another Interlude in between like with Yuffie's.
Maybe some some chapters to introduce us to Vincent and Cid's gameplay for a bit

I thought they said there wasn't going to be DLC?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

nine-gear crow posted:

And the mental health crisis he had from actually following the order to kill several million people direct from the Shinra c-squite

It was only a few hundred thousand. Which is still, you know, a few hundred thousand too many.

EDIT
At most a hundred thousand, probably less than, because ain't no way there's more population above the plate. But when you're talking about innocent civilians, positive numbers are generally all unacceptable.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Apr 28, 2024

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt
Is there a map for the pirate jetsam or is it random? I have scoured every inch of the sea in Ch13 including Gilgamesh’s island and I’m missing the very last piece and I cannot for the life of me find it

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

TK-42-1 posted:

I thought they said there wasn't going to be DLC?

I think you’re right. The Yuffie DLC was made in tandem with Rebirth to test out a bunch of stuff iirc. The dev team keeps saying that they have enough assets that the turnaround time for the third part will be significantly quicker than the first two. Plus they already have the story written. I think I read that they are going to start recording voice work fairly soon.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Luxury Tent Carpet posted:

Is there a map for the pirate jetsam or is it random? I have scoured every inch of the sea in Ch13 including Gilgamesh’s island and I’m missing the very last piece and I cannot for the life of me find it

I don't think it's random. If it helps I didn't find a single piece in the open waters, they were always near rocky outcroppings or the coastline.

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020

Bottom right of map in that bay area

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt

Found it! Was tucked away north of Junon - I thought I was losing my mind!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Is there any indication of how many installments it will have? Quick reviews make it seem like after two games they’re not very far into the story.

they’re like two-thirds through the story

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

stev posted:

Unless the enemies are significantly tuned down how would that even work? Surely if you're not attacking regularly you'll never build stagger or ATB fast enough for the tougher fights.

At least in remake the classic control mode was locked to easy difficulty, I imagine this is why.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Ch4

SHE'S IN JUNON?! THIS IS WHERE WE GET HER?!

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

It's not that crazy, the forests outside Junon are the earliest you can recruit her in the OG.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

She would also keep showing up in forests, she even has slight dialogue changes if you try to recruit her when Tifa or Cid is the leader.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Yuffie could have soloed Bottomswell herself but unfoprtunately she had just touched a man-made vehicle and was therefore drained of all her powers.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also like I've not been doing a lot of the open world stuff, should I dedicate some time at a point to doing sidequest stuff

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

SON OF A BITCH IT'S HIM

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Yeah, the open world/side quest stuff is meant to be done when you get to that area. The side quests are almost always tied to a specific character and give you relationship points with them. The lesser open world intel stuff gives you materia and items and stuff. Finding the dig sites full of transmutation chips is really useful. It’s worth doing.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
I know it is a meme that they have towers, but I found the open world stuff and sidequest stuff to be so much fun and with some drat good rewards.

Shame that I'll never be able to replay FF16 after this now.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Yeah, the open world/side quest stuff is meant to be done when you get to that area. The side quests are almost always tied to a specific character and give you relationship points with them. The lesser open world intel stuff gives you materia and items and stuff. Finding the dig sites full of transmutation chips is really useful. It’s worth doing.

I gotta level up a bit before Upper Junon anyway so I'll probably go back and clean out the Grasslands and Junon

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Waffleman_ posted:

I gotta level up a bit before Upper Junon anyway so I'll probably go back and clean out the Grasslands and Junon

I also recommend doing the Protorelic stuff as it has a whole overarching plot going through the whole game.

Also play some Queens Blood!

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Shotgunning some of the Protorelic region chains can be a pain though. Mount Condor and that the Cosmo Canyon game woulda been fine once or twice, but 4 times just dragged.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
I want to get platinum someday, but going back to some of those minigames on a harder difficulty doesn't seem ideal.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Waffleman_ posted:

SON OF A BITCH IT'S HIM

Just you wait, you're going to feel like a real monster with how his story turns out.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Waffleman_ posted:

Good plan. The character building in the side quests is totally worth it.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://x.com/ShinraArch/status/1785024440302031288

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Chrono Trigger remake looking good so far

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
You know how you can cycle through the different elements of Yuffie's Ninjitsu by tapping right when you open her abilities menu in combat? It'd be nice to do that with those zero-mp elemental casts you unlock on the SP board. I seriously removed them from some characters because scrolling past them in combat was a pain.

I'd call that a feature.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I mean they gave the little frog cloud a big buster sword, of course he's gonna try to stand upright otherwise it would crush him

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Thundarr posted:

Then why does he keep siccing Jenova on the party and then showing up in end game boss rushes? :argh:

To be honest I'm still not sure how we're meant to interpret Sephiroth's presence. Is he a a corrupted lifestream ghost who can't directly interact with the world, so he has to constantly mindfuck and gaslight Cloud into doing his dirty work? A gestalt of Sephiroth + Jenova who can be anywhere that any of Jenova's cells is, but still needs to hassle some brokebrained idiot and his pals for reasons? A multiverse echo with only a tenuous reach into the world the characters inhabit? Or just a peak JRPG villain who shows up whenever because the writers think it would be cool rather than to serve some coherent purpose? Or all of the above? :shrug:

Yea, pretty much how I feel, if it was one package, it be fine, I'm sure it be explained but still annoying knowing that its something that gonna have to wait another 5-6 years for...

Also..
wow, was Roche useless, and a waste of time. Just ends up as a zombie, Cloud barely even acknowledges him, and they never reveal the history of the two at all.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The history of the two is all in the game?

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

and if that's all there is to their backstory, yea, it was a letdown. I guess I expected him to play a bigger role than Kyrei.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

SyntheticPolygon posted:

The history of the two is all in the game?

No it isn't? I thought Roche was going to be a whisper projection or something BC he just comes outta nowhere in remake, gets a brief cameo in junon and then becomes a black cloak

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

No it isn't? I thought Roche was going to be a whisper projection or something BC he just comes outta nowhere in remake, gets a brief cameo in junon and then becomes a black cloak

That is the history of the two!

He’s some rando Soldier that fell in love at first fight during a highway chase and then attained mutual respect with Cloud after further encounters.

And that’s important because him going Black Coat is the catalyst for Cloud beginning to go fully off the deep end after he had been improving since Gongaga since it’s not only a guy he’s almost friends with dying in front of him but also a realisation of Cloud’s fear about what Soldier degradation is doing to him (he is similarly affected by Broden showing up in the Nibelheim protorelic quest). It’s not really a coincidence that like 10 mins after running into zombie Roche at the Ancient Temple Cloud basically starts to go full Sephiroth.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

I really hate Gigantuars, especially the AI's inability to handle them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Yeah, Roche has no history with Cloud, he's just a random SOLDIER given a name and a face so we might care even slightly about what happens to him.

Like, frankly it is bizarre that there is not a single SOLDIER character in the original game.