Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

finished it. i thought the first 50% of the game was somehow even better than ff7r1 and intergrade and it's one of my all time favorite gaming experiences.

the second 50% is a fat stinky diaper. i can't believe they shipped the game with gongaga in it. i have never cared about a sidequest in any game less than i care about kid G.

the combat turns into mushy nonsense around this point as well featuring attacks named like "-slash" that deal damage to the party through Aerith's "take no physical damage" limit break. i have used the start menu abandon fight option multiple times to switch my materia because it would be faster than clearing one of the 3 fights in the game where it actually matters and that can't be trivialized by triple slash or red xiii's death orb.

the party menu looks bad, doesn't have anything interesting in it, and has enough input delay and loading that i absolutely dread changing my materia or equipment for any reason. the enemy skills are boring and worse than regular ATB abilities which don't require me to navigate the materia menu in order to use.

i like chadley. the game's music is unbelievably good. cait sith rules to control in fights and i'm absolutely buying the third game. :cheers:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

the best part of gongaga is you get to play queens blood against a chocobo who uses an all-bird-card deck. he's pretty good with it too.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

Pulcinella posted:

Holy poo poo this Cait Sith box throwing "minigame" is absolutely wretched game play. There is no way this was play tested. It takes 4 button presses to throw, the moogle is insanely slow to walk around, the boxes are floaty and only vaguely follow the arc, and the "throw the box into the spinning red funnel" seems to be right on the edge of your throwing range. I got it but this whole section is just absolute trash tier gameplay. Ohh also he is the only character where if you sprint with R2 and run into something yoi loose all momentum and have to watch a 5 second animation of Cait Sith recovering. (Also I just don't like playing Cait Sith in combat very much).

I loved Cait Sith in the original, and I loved moogle knuckling nonstop in this game, but yea this was absolutely reprehensible design. The only reason it's better than gongaga is because it doesn't take as long. I guess nobody at SE felt empowered to say "actually this entire segment is worse than every ps1 game".

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

Big Mouth Billy Basshole posted:

The one two punch of Gongaga and Cosmo really made me beeline the main story. Nibelheim was super pleasant by comparison, but all the world quests started to feel a little too tedious at that point.

nibelheim's chocobo totally ruined the other areas of the game for me because it shows they had the technical capability to make the chocobo fun iand simply chose to make it bad in some areas instead

Augus posted:

I liked Cosmo because I could see things, I didn’t like Gongaga cause I couldnt see poo poo

this is partially my fault because the first thing I did in the game was invert the camera controls, and then the 2nd thing I did was set the default camera distance to 3, but yea I loved playing the "try to look upwards without putting your camera inside the grass/tree/bush/plant challenge" game in gongaga.

there is a quest where you climb the same ladder a bunch of times. camera distance 3 turns the entire screen into the back of a leaf for a significant portion of the ladder climb every time you do it. :cheers:

12 rats tied together fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Mar 22, 2024

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

For that boss I was forced to swap my materia loadout to include the one that increases the perfect block window. I also thought Regen was pretty helpful.