Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I’ve been playing SSBU with the kids and re-engaging my late 90s child self by thinking “Sephiroth is so cool!!!”, which got me thinking of these games. I remember the first being released in 2020 but never paid attention.

So there are (currently) two of these games out, and they are basically remaking the entirety of FF7 but splitting them over 3 games? And it’s not exactly old school JRPG combat but now a sort of ARPG hybrid? I have not played a FF game since the Tidus one but I know they have kind of moved out of the pure turn-based style long ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Is there any indication of how many installments it will have? Quick reviews make it seem like after two games they’re not very far into the story.

All the reviews are super positive though, and I’m looking for something to get me through June 21st for Elden Ring.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I'm about 75% of the way through Remake, and it's pretty good. I was sort of dubious of them splitting the game into three parts (especially at $70 a pop), but the attention to detail and expansion of the world is pretty great. I'm still struggling a lot with the combat, mostly because I keep moving all my Materia around as characters join/leave the party so I keep walking into battles with stuff missing. Other than that, it's a pretty novel system that forces you to adapt a lot more than in other games I've seen.

I have a PS5, but I'm playing the PS4 version of Remake because I had it free from PS+ several years ago. It doesn't come with the Yuffie DLC, which I would probably pay for if it was like $15 alone. But it seems like the only way I can get it is to pay for Intergrade, or to get PS+ Extra/Platinum. If I upgrade my PS+ subscription, will I just have to download a whole new game for the PS5 version, which presumably wouldn't have all my save data on it?

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I’m at the “rescue Aerith from Shinra” part of Remake and I think I may just skip to Rebirth. I already know the story because of internet spoilers years ago and Rebirth seems like it improves a lot of stuff from the first game.

So basically in Remake, we defeat “fate” which basically just acts as a narrative device to say “hey it’s not going to be the same story as the original game”? Also, it’s implied Sephiroth is like, the OG game Sephiroth or some sort of multiverse Sephiroth or something?

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

berenzen posted:

Personally, I wouldn't. The shinra tower has some of the coolest setpieces in the game, and some absolutely banger soundtracks.

Is the tower a “once you’re here you can’t leave and it’s the endgame”? I have some side quests I don’t want to finish right now, like this Chocobo stuff, but it seems like I should before I hit the tower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Made a big mistake last night.

Got about halfway through The Drum, and then about 8:00 PM decided “I’ll just go ahead and finish it”. Did not expect like 7 more bosses before the end. Didn’t even finish until almost 1:00 AM.

Jenova and Sephiroth were cool, but I just about put the game down for good on Arsenal because my Barrett was totally tank/heal specced and Aerith was basically just hiding and chugging Ether to do tiny bits of damage even with max level spells. Then the motorcycle fight just felt way too long.

Good game, but I can already tell Rebirth has a lot of updated mechanics that I will enjoy more. Remake’s ending was also unbelievably obtuse, though I understand the point was “it’s an unknown world now!” Going into the next two games.