Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Gonna try and download the demo when I get home from work. God, I am getting so hype for this game.

Today is February 7, which means it's Aeris' birthday!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

I watched that State of Play trailer and almost screamed when I saw Barret in the sailor suit, but also!

Mr. Dolphin!

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

I mean, it's right next to a Mako reactor which literally drains the life from the area, so I think it's probably just that and not the game as a whole.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

I really hope they lean into the Jenova-based distrust among the party when they realize it's a shapeshifter and both Cloud and Tifa are suddenly mutually sus completely unintentionally. Everyone thinking the others are The Thing would be rad.

I want this so badly now.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Played the demo, it's good although God drat I'm having trouble with the co trols after playing lots and lots of Horizon: Forbidden West and then Final Fantasy XVI.

I love how there are loads of little hints that Cloud's telling of the story isn't accurate if you know what you're looking for. There were a few departures from the old script that made me a little sad - no Sephiroth calling Hojo a 'walking mass of complexes', he doesn't ask himself "Was I created this way, too? Am I....human?" the way he used to, and I wish it had gone to the end of the flashback with him opening the sealed chamber in the Nibelheim reactor. One problem for me was that the town wasn't laid out the way it used to be, and the Shin-Ra Mansion wasn't in the right spot - it meant that Sephiroth would have had to take a little detour on his way to Mt. Nibel and honestly at that point in his derangement I can't imagine him making the effort.

I loved how they showed his descent into madness and represented it with the change in his eyes. I love how the candles flared up when he announced his decision to go and see his mother and how 'Those Chosen By The Planet' started up when it happened. In fact, all the music was great, but of course we knew that it would be. I liked all the little details. One thing that really stood out for me was the decorations in Shin-Ra Mansion - there's paintings of Mt. Nibel in the niches on either side of the doorway and there's a portrait of President Shin-Ra over the fireplace in the dining room.

God, I'm so excited for it all.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

I got a C on the piano thing, which is pretty impressive for me considering that I suck at doing co-ordinated things with dual sticks, but it was very helpful that I knew what the music was.

God, the music in the remake and so far in Rebirth is so good.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

See: the previous thread’s title

The game is definitely horny and it’s really funny. The only way it could have been better would be sticking Cloud in a hot tub full of muscly, naked men.

I'm still kind of annoyed that they cut the gay orgy out but added Chadley and 500% more Johnny.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Played the second demo last night and I nearly screamed when Red got onto his chocobo. I love how there's such a massive bounty on Aeris. I could barely get the combos to work in combat but I think that's just me having trouble adjusting from controls for XVI and Horizon: Forbidden West, and the game will presumably ease us all into it.

I can see this Mia person getting real old real fast but of course Japan loving loves overly-peppy young female characters in service roles.

Everything was beautiful, Junon actually came across as gloomy and depressing from what we saw of it. I was wondering why the area from the Mythril Mine to Junon felt so compressed but perhaps that's been squeezed down for the demo. That boss fight was actually pretty difficult, what with it being able to immobilize two members of the party and nearly kill someone with that water jet attack. I lost against it once and went in with Barret the second time (God, why is it that Clive can jump around and poo poo but Cloud can't?) which seemed to work better.

My first attempt I saw Barret in the background plinking away at the boss from the sidelines. Fabulous. Too bad they tossed Yuffie in here. That rear end in a top hat stole my Materia in 1998 and I've never got over it.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

I played Dirge of Cerberus but I can't for the life of me remember what the actual plot was. There was that Deep Ground group (who were some Shin-Ra thing, I think?) and uhhhh an underground city? And for some reason, if I recall correctly, the final boss was a collection of shapes in some kind of plane extending infinitely in all directions? Am I remembering that right? Also for some reason that Gackt guy was there?

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

I just looked up the plot to Dirge of Cerberus and 1) I don't remember most of this poo poo and 2) good Lord it sounds dumb as hell.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

My favorite characters Clod, Bullet, Euphie, Shid and Anakin.

What

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

This is just making me imagine in-universe WEAPON truthers who go on the Internet PHS Network or whatever it is and angrily post about how WEAPON doesn't exist and Shin-Ra Tower was blown up by Wutese nationalists in a plot to hide the secret mythril mine in the basement. The Sector 7 Plate didn't drop because it was a hologram and never really existed to begin with.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

I mean ti be fair the truth would sound like one.

SHINRA is experimenting on SPACE ALIENS. Famous soldier Sephiroth is part Alien! Horrifying Crossbreeds kept in evil lab just above Shinra Gym! SHINRA burnt down a town and rebuilt it exactly in secret!

Don Corneo sleeps in an oxygen tent that he believes gives him SEXUAL POWERS!

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

I'm really looking forward to more of the piano mini game, if only because I have loved the music in this game since, poo poo, 1998? It took me a bit to figure it out because I suck at doing two different things with the sticks at the same time, but also it felt very easy in its own way because it was Tifa's Theme, I knew how it went and I knew what the timing and such was.

The vaccum cleaner thing was weird but let's be honest it's entirely on-brand for Shin-Ra to design and build some stupid giant vaccum with a pointlessly short cord with no extension cord available instead of just fixing the goddamned leaky pipes carrying an extremely valuable but also incredibly dangerous energy source that happens to be the souls of the dead. They don't do sensible. If Shin-Ra was sensible they wouldn't have built Midgar with the incredibly stupid and pointless feature that lets them just drop a loving plate at will. Who decided this was something that needed to be included in the city plans? Hart, looking at you, buddy.

Oh, we were talking about Jenova earlier. They must have figured out that she wasn't an Ancient eventually, if only because at some point they found Ifalna somewhere (where??) and realized that she was human-looking and not a hosed-up amorphous space germ. I don't think anything has actually gone into how/where they found Ifalna, have they? That would be some interesting background for Rebirth to go into, possibly as a part of Buganhagen's exposition at Cosmo Canyon. I feel like he would know about that sort of thing. He and Gast probably corresponded.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

Literally everyone but Reeve on Team Shinra is some kind of megalomaniac dumbass and they all pay for their hubris spectacularly. Aside from Palmer, I suppose, because no one gives a poo poo to check in on Palmer once Shinra No.26 fails to stop Meteor. I'm guessing Rufus just immediately fired him, because he's just like loving gone from the game after that.

Reeve thinks he can run around fixing things behind the scenes after the rest of the board members gently caress things up which is intensely hubristic in its own sad way.

I assume that they all know about his weird cat robot thing and think he's as intensely weird and gross like the rest of them.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Caidin posted:

Theres an Ultimania that says Reeve has Blue Fairy powers or something where he can bring inanimate objects to life, so I'm hoping Rebirth really gets into just.. Reeves whole deal really. Is Cait Sith a robot or a doll or a robot that only works because Reeve says so. Is Cait entirely remote controlled or a separate entity or what?

Just a few more days now

What.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Kale posted:

They also made President Shinra look way more like every 80's zaibatsu president arch-villain dude in the remake. In the original his model looks like a fat man in a red suit, but in the remake he looks like a Golgo 13 antagonist of the arc villain and even has the mustache and cigar. They somehow made the Shinra characters even sleazier and I love it.

President Shin-Ra always had a moustache and I am moderately certain that in the OG there's a little cutscene when they drop the plate where he's looking out the window and watching it happen while listening to opera music and sipping brandy.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, I think like Vincent startles them and they pull the exact same "Wha-huh?!" move.

"This isn't what it looks like!"

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Played about 4 hours today, got to the bit in Kalm when you see the Gelnika flying in and then had to take a little break because we got held up at my workplace yesterday and I got incredibly wigged out when the Shin-Ra soldiers starting pushing civilians around with guns but oh my God Kalm is incredible. You can tell that the dev team really paid attention when they were working on this game. The city walls, the clock tower, the weapons shop. Everyone in town spreading rumours of what happened in Midgar and I heard at least three different versions of gossip about what happened to President Shin-Ra. I loved how at the climactic scene in the Nibelheim Reactor Sephiroth looked loving unhinged. They really did a great job.

Opening sequence: LMAO I loving gasped when Aeris' ribbon came undone and the White Materia bounced away..

Just after the Flashback in Kalm: We're all used to Tifa trying to figure out if she's being gaslit but holy Christ Cloud's trying to figure out if Tifa's been gaslighting him and that's a turnaround I literally never thought of after all this time.

Red XIII just jumping on the bed that some psychotic innkeeper put in the middle of the goddamned room to Barret's annoyance and Barret having to sleep on the couch and snoring incredibly loudly. I was so worried Red's tail would set the bed on fire!

Question! Does that make me a dumbass?

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

funkymonks posted:

She loves her boy. She is a proud Claudia.

Proud Clod*

*ia

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Man I also just remembered how the flashback ended and Barret was asking what the hell Jenova was anyway, and Aeris got super awkward and made the world's least subtle attempt to change the subject by pretending to be tired and yawning cartoonishly. I love her so much.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

I absolutely love watching Red XIII going up and down ladders, it's so ridiculous and I love it. I wish I could watch him slide down the firemen's poles I'm seeing in some places.

It amazes me that everyone has resisted the urge to scratch behind his wonderful fluffy ears and I am now desperate to know what his toes look like. Yes, I know he's not a cat, but I want to know!!

I got out of Kalm and into the open world with Aeris just being delighted at being out in a natural environment while the Main Theme started up and oh my God it's all so wonderful.

Catching the chocobo was neat and really reminded me of Horizon: Zero Dawn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

OH NO CHADLEY IS HERE UGH GO AWAY YOU GROSS LITTLE FREAK

OH GOD HE CAN READ MY THOUGHTS?!

WAIT ANY CYBORG CAN? WHAT THE gently caress