Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
I would like to have a talk with whoever designed the 3rd chocobo gliding course in Cosmo Canyon. This might actually be worse than the box breaking in Intermission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
i remember when remake came out, people were complaining that Red's voice was bad. "it's just Max Mittelman putting on a very obvious gruff voice, it sounds unnatural."

i hope those people are ashamed of their words and deeds

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

D.Fuzzbot posted:

This game needs a training dummy mode.

Make it a (Costa Del Sol spoiler) Johnny clone

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
There are so many good little cute touches in this game. My favorite so far is (Gold Saucer spoiler) the Test 0 enemy in the Dustbowl coliseum at the bottom of the well. Really cute nod to this debug enemy that got left in as an encounter in the same spot in the initial JP release of the PS1 original

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
could they really not have come up with a better set of names than "Synergy Skill" and "Synergy Ability", is my question

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Glide 3 (sorry, not 4, my mistake) is not simple to replicate, there's some frame/pixel perfect poo poo at the very end

Before going into the 300 ring and initiating the final dive, turn around and glide back to the vents to get a height boost, then go back and do the dive+swoop. That's it. That's the trick

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Sakurazuka posted:

She's from Crisis Core and also an old feature phone mobile game.

She's also voiced by Jecka from Class of '09

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
i'm mr video games

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
who are you people leaving your console perpetually powered on with your games suspended

just save and shut down! with a fully powered off system, it takes like 15-20 seconds from hitting the PS button on your controller to being back in-game if you use the "continue" function

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

stev posted:

I do both. I leave it suspended but I save every time I stop playing (and at least once an hour or so) because why would you not?

because it's a waste of electricity and you don't really save any time doing it, was my point

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
alright then, turns out i am the weirdo for turning my sony playstation 5 off when i am not using it to play video games. carry on, thread

when do i get access to the Actually Hard piano piece someone mentioned earlier. is that on hard mode?

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

stev posted:

When would I charge my controller if I didn't use rest mode? (Without buying a second to rotate them)

that does make sense. i bought a pink controller to match the pink faceplates i got, so i just have two controllers now. still can't quite believe how poo poo the battery life is on the DS5.

not my pic, but this is how it looks

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
e: quote is not edit

Arist posted:

you need to A-Rank all six piano pieces and then the reward guy will give you the last one

i already did a full combo of that 7th one, and then someone itt said "oh you didn't even get the one that's actually difficult"

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

SettingSun posted:

No one should care about whether or not someone else turns off their PS5, lmao

i was just baffled by all the talk of people losing progress because their console updated and restarted overnight, because that's not how i use my ps5 at all. also i manual save a bunch

Pollyanna posted:

Complete Johnny’s collection and you get One-Winged Angel, because of course you do.

lmao, perfect. excited for that

Instant Grat fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Mar 17, 2024

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
so i've figured out a more or less foolproof way to do the Nightmare Survival QB challenge

i got 146 of these 150 points in round 4, and literally just let the AI do whatever it wanted for the entire rest of the game, apart from plonking down the two freebie Gigantuars in round one

lol, and also, lmao

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Bland posted:

Meanwhile I thought I was safe going into round 5 with with over 150 points and an 85 point lead with only two crappy cactuars remaining in my hand only for the AI to score 87 points while I looked on helplessly :smithicide:

Queen's Blood Nightmarish Survival talk:

I've spent some time trying mine out, and I've gotten 4 or 5 wins with over 100 points each by now, so I'm prepared to call it "pretty dang repeatable". If you wanna try it out, here's the gist:

It's a slighly modified version of the deck from this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdZMqxVI5vs

• Replace the Gi Specter with Gi Nattak, and one of the Skeeskees with a Joker.
  • In round 1, play both of the Gigantuar freebies on the top row, then just pass until the round ends. If you win that row and get the chest, place whichever cactuar you get anywhere on the board in round 2. The card draw at the beginning of round 3 stops once your hand reaches 15 cards, so you can't have any cactuars taking up space.
  • Pass until round 4 starts.
  • Start out with the Joker in the top left, then just do your best to set up the same pattern as the video shows.
  • Save Gi Nattak for the very end, and place him over the King Tonberry to double KT's power onto the Joker and the Skeeskee.
  • You have no cards left, so just spend all of round 5 passing.

You gotta keep a couple minor details in mind. When a card dies, the space underneath will only return with one pip, and a few of the cards need more than that (Moogle Trio, J-squad, the 2nd Mindflayer after doing the Resurrected Amalgam double kill), so make sure to play those early so you don't end up with all 1-pip squares and no fodder left to bump them up. You also want to make sure you have a 3-pip square for the J-squad as your penultimate card.

It's very likely you won't be able to set up the 2nd King Tonberry to accumulate power, in which case just feed it to the Mindflayer. It's also quite possible you end up with only 2 or 3 of the Mindflayer's active spaces to work with - that's totally fine too.

It's come very close, but the opponent has never managed to outscore me with this. I have had a few attempts die because I couldn't get the setup in place, though.

Instant Grat fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Mar 18, 2024

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

ImpAtom posted:

I do miss Barret's melee weapons even if objectively they sucked and I never used them, and even when they gave me their move in Rebirth I still barely used them.

It was very funny to use Maximum Fury with them equipped, though.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Rebirth has inherited one minor annoyance from Remake. When you have multiple boss fights in a row and the game gives you the little "Menu" prompt in the bottom left that lets you reconfigure equipment and materia in between, the checkpoint is placed BEFORE your changes. So if you have to retry the second fight, you gotta redo all your materia changes every single time.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
I remember being driven slightly mad by it during the final boss rush of Remake on hard mode, because I had to retry that fight SO many times before ekeing out a win.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

broken pixel posted:

I need to look up the other places to play Queen’s Blood after capping rank. I cannot deny the urge to play more of that card game.

Gold Saucer and Costa Del Sol get more challenges once you hit Chapter 12. Also, once you clear the QB story, all the opponents around the world (except the "Beat This Specific Player To Rank Up"-ones) get new, much harder decks.

broken pixel posted:

Or I could get back on Infinite Wealth, finally!

This is also a good idea, however

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
oh my loving god (ch 12 sidequest spoiler) they remixed Crazy Chocobo for Shinra Middle Manager's chocobo race. i am grinning all the way from ear to ear. loving fantastic

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
You can tell whether a spell/ability will give you Synergy Ability Points by looking at the icons in the bottom left when the ability is highlighted. The icon that looks like 2 vertical bars in different colors means "yes"

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

bewilderment posted:

Today's patch has apparently broken the Ultimate Party Animal quest to not properly credit each stage so you'll need to come back to it later.

Good thing I did that quest the day before the patch dropped, lol

The coliseum fight was something else. Still not quite sure how I got through it.

Also, the game is lucky it's so god drat charming, because I was VERY annoyed that the scores I'd already gotten didn't count and I had to do those minigames again.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

WaltherFeng posted:

It's funny how that fight is possibly the hardest in the whole game because there's so much out of your control if you just try to play normally.

I think Yuffie + Red duo party might actually work because Yuffie can easily fill both ATBs with Foxfire so you'll still have access to synergy

I just put a sleep materia on someone (Barret? He builds ATB quick, it was probably Barret), slept the little guys, and then went all-in on the Mindflayer, refreshing Sleep whenever the little ones woke up. Took one attempt and wasn't particularly close :shrug:

Pretty sure the AI won't target sleeping targets, presumably to avoid waking them up.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Would it really have killed them to pronounce Cait Sith correctly

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
It still bothers me a lot how light Reno and Rude's characterization is after they killed literal thousands of people at Sector 7. They should not get to be Charismatic Recurring Mini-villains after something like that.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Speaking of Red and sidequests: All the pre-Cosmo sidequests he's in have alternate lines depending on if you do them before or after he drops the fake deep growly wise persona

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Yuffie's Brumal Form can kind of do that. Or Perfect Defense materia and go Sekiro on his rear end with perfect blocks.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Rhonne posted:

Hojo just likes to number his experiments. It's basically the order in which they were turned.

See also: Red XIII

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Arkage posted:

Also protip for a Barret mechanic I didn't even know existed prior to watching these guides: do a quick triangle push at the end of every action to recharge the triangle ability for basically free.

You can do it after the last shot of his normal attack too, not just after using an ATB command.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Mechafunkzilla posted:

you didn't even unlock the only hard song

what now, buster

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

When does one winged angel unlock? I refuse to believe it can be harder than let the battles begin, I didn't even try to do better than a C on that

After getting every collectible for Johnny's hotel

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
lol the Yuffie ATB Ward combo is insane. nothing in the entire game can stand up to it as long as you have both Aerith and Yuffie in your party

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Shouts out to the developer who put a "Limit Break Damage +10%" ability on Aerith's Wizard's Rod weapon

E: The Plumose Rod has one too. Amazing

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
You hit him while he's reloading,and he pressures right away for a few hits. Dodge and block his attacks until then. Triple Slash will rocket over to him in an instant, but if you're close, Focus Thrust is a better option. If you're REALLY precise, a Braver will stagger him instantly. Make use of the tactics mode slowdown to check what he's about to do after he finishes an attack. Guns Akimbo is always followed by a reload.

I love that fight. It's such a good "bringing character across through gameplay" fight, because it is absolutely infuriating the way he casually reloads any time he hits you while you're stunned and can't do anything about it.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
I really wish there was an easy way to refight him at will. I think he might be my favorite boss in the game.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
You can go down to Easy Mode? Pretty sure that's literally just a toggle in the menu. Alternatively, there's a purple materia that increases the damage reduction of (non-perfect) blocks AND gives you a bunch of ATB for doing it. Any attack without a warning triangle in the name, you can literally just hold block while he does it and it'll do peanuts for damage and give you ATB. Then use tactical mode after his attacks to check if he's about to do a reload and do a Focus Thrust/Triple Slash (depending on distance) if so.

Instant Grat fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Apr 1, 2024

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
This video is full of very good tips for the Ch. 12 boss that do not require super high-level execution:

https://youtu.be/UL6xgLzx090

The title says "Hard Mode" but the strats are universally applicable

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Can someone explain what the deal is with the closed-off area in Costa Del Sol, where there's a security guy outside telling you to piss off? He mentions something about "Club Duel", which seems to be something from an old feature phone game???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
For side quests specifically, it's kind of weird once you get chapter select. Basically the game keeps track of two different "completion states": the best result you've gotten on a given sidequest at any point in your save file, and the "current status". That second one is the one you can reset when you use chapter select. The three options you get upon chapter select boil down to "reset all sidequests back to zero", "keep current status", and "overwrite current status with the best results you've gotten so far". Completing a sidequest you never got around to, or getting a better result on it than before, will automatically permanently merge the result into your "best so far" state.