Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I'm not watching the Nintendo Direct. I will play the demo... but not immediately, I'm busy. It's time. I'm out, until it drops. See you on the other side lads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
How in gently caress do you make Cloud or Red jump. I have seen them literally float indefinitely attacking once up there and I know I have seen them do jumping attacks that don't immediately bring them to ground after but if I don't have meter and I need to get in the air I feel like the game forgot to say what to do.

Also did Tifa just eat a Deadly Dodge materia or something? I feel like everyone's just completely internalised a lot of tricks from Remake. This game is gonna be stupid nuts.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Right, I can't remember if the lock-on was this bad in Remake or if they changed something but like. God drat, it sucks untold amounts of rear end. Has anyone learned any favourite tricks or setups for managing it? Maybe there's a way to fix this with back buttons...

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

ImpAtom posted:

It is a joke. Like I can get not liking the joke but it's pretty bluntly a joke. They do the same thing later on where you have to slowly guide a chicken by shaking a can (which, admittedly, leads to one of the funniest punchlines in the game.) Most of the minigames aren't like that.

I don't get it. It's an immediate, clunky momentum killer, it has no meaning or consequence or payoff of any kind. It's a slow, painstaking void of video games. It's padding, inside padding. Most egregiously, if you're in on this apparent joke and try to save yourself the time by pushing it through the door immediately, you'll be unable to reach that first gas pocket. If the rest of the minigames aren't like this, that's good, although it just makes it weirder that this specific one, this pair of minutes which cannot fail to make the player think "this sucks, I wish it would be over", is not only still in the game, but one of the first tastes of gameplay they offer (outside the piano and very introductory battles) in their demo.

In absolute terms there is only so mad I can get about this maybe 90 collected seconds of nothing but it's so weird that they bothered to do this when they could have simply Not, and saved both themselves and us the time.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Quick aside from the character stuff, do we know for sure what the release schedule is yet? Is it Midnight On The 29th In My Account's Timezone? Also are we supposed to have a preload yet? Been a while since I planned this much around a release but this one feels worthy.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
So the Assess description for Phoenix states that it uses Rebirth Flame when you let it use Empowering Flame twice without interrupting it but Phoenix seems to be able to just randomly bust it out immediately after two staggers or sometimes even after one I'm wondering if this is another one of those times where the VII Remake staff describe things wrong?

Most of the quest combat content in this game is amazing but holy gently caress am I tired of the open world already. The towers are whatever but I am honestly kinda amazed that they don't even give you a map (also navigation is generally quite tedious), only icons, and those icons are all either fights or further examinables that seem to only exist to give you other icons that give you fights. Did we really need to have five identical encounters with Beck's Badasses, with the same paper thin excuse for each one not being the last? It's like they have all these amazing scenario designs to hand and seem to have absolutely no confidence that people will like their game if they're not having to track down identical doodads on a map the whole time they're playing it. The same is true of the surprise reprise of Fort Condor in Junon, I laughed for like a minute at the reveal, found it a little tiresome to play, and found it had precisely lasted out its welcome when it ended, which is good! Then I find I have to do it a bunch more times.

Like man this is Final Fantasy loving Seven. The written portions of this game have been the hypest poo poo on the planet. Even the card game is at least interesting to play, even if you don't respect it. Why did it need to be tied down with all this deadweight ubisoft-tier openworlding? All you had to do is have a few quests that are as good as the time a lady in Junon asks you to walk a dog. Remake had this about right, I think, probably because it didn't try to have an open world. Maybe if the tower climbing and inexplicable cave crystal rhythm gaming were set to the most banging remixes ever written I could forgive them.

Like to be clear the game is amazing. It is full of incredible things. It is also full of poo poo and could be made 500% better by having half of its content by volume removed and replaced with nothing. Shinra as a metaphor for Ubisoft, I guess.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Okay what's the secret to the last (please God be the last) Junon Protorelic Thing? I can get within spitting distance of victory but no matter what Gilgamesh just has too much health and can reliably just run out the clock before dying. Nothing can stay alive long enough to contribute much, and there's no way to make the AI coordinate. Even the hero units just die when he hard counters whatever they are. Even Grandmaster Chadley wasn't this miserable to fight. At least he was playing the same game.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I'm not even done with the Obligatory Card Game Tournament Arc yet and already Chapter 5 is giving me everything I ever hoped for and more.

The only let down is that nobody has Said The Line to Barret but what can you do.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Something common to both FFVII Re-games is that combat tends to be very momentum based and if you're on the ropes it's often really, really hard to turn things around and if you don't recover perfectly you'll end up prolonging your pain.

There's some materia that can help, I want to say it becomes available in Ch 4, which makes the next item use free if it's been 3 ATBs spent (or is it 3 actions performed?), per character.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Hold up what is the difference between Barrier/Manaward and Protect/Shell

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
What exactly triggers Yuffie's Art of War becoming Supreme Art of War? I thought it was using it with Ninjutsu, but no. Then I thought it was using it on staggered mfers, but no. Then I thought it was using it while already using it but it ain't that either apparently. how it work

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
As somebody who comfortably beat the old gym minigame and thought complaints about it were overblown;

gently caress the new gym minigame. What an awful idea for a twist.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I am fighting Gigatrice in Corel. Assess screen is telling me to cast elemental abilities on the cyclones it spawns. But they don't seem to be targetable? I think once I saw a "Tornado D" pop up as a lock on but it immediately disappeared. Sometimes I see red targeting reticles around them but they don't show up on any target list and I don't see any way to aim things at them except by dumb luck if one of them is aimed at the boss and misses just right. What have they forgotten to explain in the Assess screen?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I have beaten 8 opponents and I am still waiting for there to be a strategy that's better than "take as many tiles as possible" lol, any time I try to do something with cards that do other things besides that it hasn't worked lol

This was me right up until I bought all the cards sold as prizes at the Gold Saucer. This finally brought me around to having just a few buffs, as a treat.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
How do the Synergy Abilities that "extend stagger and increase potency" actually work? I haven't noticed them having a visible effect when used on staggered enemies. Does it refresh the meter? Make it drain slower? Is it supposed to increase the %? It's kinda difficult to experiment with and unclear how you're supposed to use these.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
How do you do Biological Intel: Head Case without wanting to die IRL? It's boggling my mind that they would ask you to do this objective against these enemies, especially when you can't stop your party from attacking the relatively frail other enemies that you're not supposed to kill. I don't like to be a "did nobody test this?!?!?!" kind of guy but seriously, how does anyone attempt this fight and have a response other than "kill me"?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
The thing is I don't even like most of the poppy electronica but the thing is 1) it believes in itself so hard and that counts for a lot and 2) I will hard swerve into liking any track of any genre if it is variably mixed into a battle version that drops a sick beat over it. So my hands are tied here. Salmon theme best theme.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Honestly it bothers me a lot that more people aren't more critical of the mini games. It's cool that they tried to go for the variety and the spirit of the original but nobody making them seems to understand that the minigames they made suck rear end. Not necessarily in concept (sometimes in concept, like the new crunch gym) but just like, the specific quantified goals that they ask you to meet, and that there are various levers all trying to get you to want to do them, are engineered to produce misery. One of the reasons people actually liked the minigames from VII was that very little really extrinsically compelled you to complete any of them beyond muddling through once as part of the plot so they kinda automatically self select players who don't hate them, and therefore the fact that they were jank to the extreme didn't matter.

Take Glide de Chocobo as an example. Concept: fine! Gliding is cool. Going through a little course, cool. Going through rings and racking up points; fine. But the controls suck, as far as I can tell you can't invert up and down for gliding (unless it is tied to the main game camera, which would suck even more), diving and pulling up doesn't seem to work reliably and probably has some kind of logic to it but you're left to guess exactly how long it takes and how close to the ground you can get before you can pull up, it asks you to get perfect scores, and the courses are just long enough that you fail at the end when the actual difficult thing that is the point of the course and that you are supposed to learn throws you and on the way back you are bored out of your skull basically waiting for the start of the course to pass by so you can retry the thing you actually failed at but you lose focus when arriving and thus enter into a recursive feedback loop of boredom
and frustration. All of this together produces misery, and the telltale bang to rights sign of a loving awfully designed segment: invariably, the feeling of a player who attains the max rank is "thank gently caress I never have to do that again". This is how it is for most games I've found. A special shout out to the many many times the game makes you think this and then surprises you with another, even harder version.

Fortunately, the critical path permits you to pass only some games with only the minimum passing score where applicable and if you don't have completionist brain damage like I do you can ignore them. However; the game really really really wants you to do them all. It keeps trying to pull you back. Every time you say, I love this game, I want to engage with it more, it directs you back to them. And the things it asks you to do will make you miserable. The only minigames I haven't hated were the ones that I happened to find easy enough to demolish in a few tries, like the pirate shooting thing, although that's mostly just luck that it happened to be a thing I could get to grips with easily.

It's only the minigames I think this about. The combat is loving incredible and I want to do more of it in more variations (not that there isn't the occasional clunker, like the abominable VR mission with the mindflayer I was complaining about earlier). Even the card game which I came in expecting to hate won me over and I want to play more of it. Every side quest leads to some kind of treat, the mission with the dog was conceptually extremely dull but give me a pop banger variably mixed into some fights and some lovely character dialogue and suddenly it's a highlight. This is how games should make you feel, like you want to go again, like you'll go again even when you've finished everything just for the fun of it. Not happy that you can dispense with it forever.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I will grant that many of the minigames are indeed over quickly and it is nice when they are over quickly.

But I might venture that it's not a good thing when it's nice that minigames are over quickly? I don't think that's a thing that you think about something that's good?

I think what's telling is that everyone basically either says "yeah I beat this one easily" or "oh my god this one sucks so much". Like I said, I beat the pirate shooting one easily. It sucked, however. Same for Red Football.

I would forgive this - all of this, every shred - is nothing in the game ever presumed to introduce a compulsion to beat these things. A good measure of the misery comes because I decided I eventually want the Platinum and I know that eventually I will need to complete all them. That's the fucker here. For a lot of people, the rational option of simply disengaging will win out.

I would never make this complaint about FFIX's jump rope because no single atom of FFIX treated the jump rope king key item as anything other than a joke.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

ImpAtom posted:

The Chocobo Gliding has like one set path you need to do and puts markers exactly where you need to do things.

Everything to the left of the "and"; correct, bang on, you are right.

The rest of this sentence; I mean, to begin with, the markers move so we're on the ropes from the get go. You are expected to dive at particular points in 3D space which you have to feel out based on memory because you don't get a clear indication of what your actual angle is or how quickly you can dive into it, or any real control over the camera to give yourself any idea of such. The camera does not allow you to look down before you dive or up while you are ascending. Many of the dives have to be pulled out of just right and then the resulting ascents themselves have to be cancelled just right, after which you might have to remember that there's a ring you can't see anymore to the right. And always, always, any time you fail, it takes a minute of running through your rote memorised route before you get to retry the only thing you actually failed at. Maybe the trajectories you intuit are the correct ones. That sounds like it would be helpful. Maybe it takes one try, or a few, or a lot, but for however many it is, every one after the third or so will be infuriating.

Unless you just disengage completely.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
What I'm looking to hear is exactly what you're supposed to do on the last dive of the third course. I have the entire rest of that course muscle memorised but it does not seem according to my understanding of anything to be possible to hit that last low ring and then get enough air to make it to the last pair of rings.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

ImpAtom posted:

You dive through the two rings and pull up basically as soon as you're through the second ring. Make sure you don't accidentally break or anything when pulling up and you'll hit the third ring, and from there you shouldn't hit anything but left/right and glide slowly over towards the remaining two.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rG4AGX_gx0g&t=288s

It might help to look at a video and visualize what you need to do.

Thanks for this. Regrettably, this is what I was already trying to do. It's very bizarre that the chocobo literally collides with the drone and it caps your air; it really feels like that's supposed to be a horizontal ring you sail upwards through before gliding comfortably to the finish. I guess this is just a thing you have to just do over and over again until it works. After all, it only needs to work once.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Managed to win a game 62-0. Could maybe break 70 against a sufficiently bad opponent or if I get very lucky

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Spermando posted:

I can't advance the protorelic quests in Corel and Gongaga: in Corel I cleared all the Chadley icons but I don't see the last two protorelic objectives. In Gongaga I found the last training facility right by the airstrip, but it won't let me go in.

Corel is just straight locked until later in the plot (I think you'll be notified. I am starting the open world in Cosmo Canyon and it hasn't happened yet). Gongaga isn't plot locked but you do have to find your way into that bit of the map from the other side. I forget how. Gongaga is a pain to navigate and the map is often useless.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I have found Performance mode to be tolerable despite obviously blurry and I hate low framerates more than I hate low resolutions. I would run everything at 720p if it would help the framerate. That's just me though.

The operative part of resolution is the angle formed by the edges of a pixel and your eye. If that angle is less than 0.016°, you can't see it (with 20/20 vision (subject to a million kinds of variance because eyes are bullshit and bodies are diverse)). You can do a lot of math on this but the short version is that on a 55" TV you can't really tell the difference at a glance between 1080p and 4K if you sit farther than about seven feet away, and on a 27" monitor that distance becomes like three feet. Obviously the exact thresholds are vague and variable but that's the principle.

You also sometimes have to know and care what to look for. What bugs you bugs you and what doesn't doesn't. This is why we have the Graphics/Performance toggle.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Also what's a good choice for Moogle Magic?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

big mean giraffe posted:

This idea holds true but your numbers are WAY off. You can demonstrate this yourself quite easily, especially if you live with someone and do a blind test. I can clearly see the difference in the screenshot I posted earlier from 10+' away on a 27" computer monitor.

Okay so I don't wanna argue somebody's experience but like. You know how I said that eyes are bullshit and also the thresholds are vague and variable? This is kind of what I mean, because, of course, if you flipped between the two images, you would notice, they don't become identical. Similarly, the eye can notice details smaller than the acuity range based on things like contrast and movement. This is why you can see dust motes in sunbeams; technically you can't see them but they are so bright you notice the light. Similarly phone screens are crammed full of pixels you can't see because it turns out that when reading things like text with abstract shapes and contrasting edges the eye can notice sharpness way beyond what should be possible on paper. Eyes are bullshit. They don't make any loving sense.

You can do the math and get roughly my numbers. Pixels on a display of known size have a known length and you can use trigonometry to determine how far away your eye has to be to make the angle bigger or smaller than 0.016°. But there's a big difference between the math on paper, a sharp abstract image like text or a GUI, and the chaos of an animated 3D frame, and a still of the same. So there's that. Or maybe you are just built different.

I am not trying to be contradictory here, I just, I find all this fascinating. I'm not here to tell anyone that they're wrong about what they can and can't tell the difference between. I just want to make sure everyone is clear that, as someone said above, specific use cases have a huge impact on graphics even for one person.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
How do you pressure Elder Golem for the combat objectives? Assess screen says he has finite energy which depletes when he attacks or takes damage and is pressured when it runs out, but this is clearly not the whole story because I ran down his entire health bar without him using his Recharge move (which I assume is refilling his energy) and he is never pressured.

Infuriatingly, I did manage to pressure him once on the first encounter but I have no idea how, and then he died on the hit that staggered him, which apparently doesn't count. Game design!

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I swear if I ever find the person who designed the Concentrate ability used by certain enemies, I'm going to force them to Platinum this game off a fresh save.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
What keeps loving me up about Synergy Skills is that they are on R1. In Remake I got very used to attacking out of a block, or with Cloud stance shifting in a block. Even now that I'm not trying to do that anymore it turns out that a lot of the time I hit attacks just quickly enough after blocks that it starts doing whatever skill is mapped to that combo instead of the action I wanted (and drat if it isn't always something with a long-ish animation commitment).

I feel like the system overall is... just too much, like, you've got all these characters and they all have their own basic systems and ability sets, but also they all have this whole other realtime kit that can only be used by shortcut buttons you can't control and change not only per character but based on your other party members, and don't all have consistent traits beyond broadly being offensive or defensive. And yet they seem to be essential to managing the flow of fights and some do damage good enough that I feel like a lot of the game is tougher if you don't use them. I love the idea of it but everything about it runs counter to some aspect of how it feels like it should work when you start playing and I wound up not even trying to engage with it for ages because it only ever caused problems whenever I tried. I suspect this perspective is more common than the developers intend.

Why did it have to be on R1. Do people even use the triggers in battle? I just hit X and up/down once, it's all the same to me.

Also, between Synergy Skills, Synergy Commands and Synergy Materia there is too much goddamn Synergy. I didn't need Rapid Growth, man.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Oh also: specifically stage 1's Hard Mode of Gears and Gambits was what got me to finally give in and temporarily shunt the difficulty to Easy. The other hard modes were basically fine. But a hard deployment cap is too much. I don't understand how you can build units capable enough to offset a lack of numbers within the options given.

I love the idea of G&G, I mean, god drat I will stan FFXII until the end of time so imagine my delight to see it as a minigame. But also, I don't think it really works the same way at all, mostly because the whole appeal in XII is that your autopilot is usually able to roll with an area's deal but you can step in and issue corrections at any time when the game throws a curveball, which it likes to do (and also that the big appeal of Gambits is that they automate what's usually a lot of routine menu tedium in a menu-heavy RPG). Instead we have this kinda sorta roll your own Fort Condor, but there's not enough options to really do anything interesting or experiment. Not that I didn't have fun with my disposable Missile shock troopers while they were viable within the rules, but the way they structure the actual demands that are made of you, especially in Hard Mode, is just, there is no room for anything and a lot of the options seem like traps. Also, like Fort Condor, the time limit is bullshit. In general, hard time limits are bullshit and instead games of this sort should endeavour to be imbalanced in a way that stalemates are impossible so you are always winning so long as you aren't losing, or so I think anyway (Rebirth's combat is like this in general, I find; a lot of the time, defence has to be done in advance, and if you're on the back foot at all you're probably going to lose). The minimum fix I would apply is make it so that instead of eating an instant loss, it just cuts off your ATB, so you can't deploy any more units (maybe let you spend any ATB you have left), so if your remaining units got close enough to finish the job before wiping you can squeak by. Fort Condor should do the same.

This reminds me... is anyone using Auto Weapon Ability? Between that, Auto Unique, Auto Cast and Synergy, I feel like there's scope to build some Gambits out of Materia, but it suits some characters more than others. I find Aerith usually wants to have a bar in the tank for short notice in fights that call for magic at all, but Barret is fine when left to the AI. Do we know how the AI reasons about weapon skills? Any good setups been found? I think Cait Sith could be a pretty good automaton, fittingly.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Vitamean posted:

Ch 9 Did I gently caress up Cissnei's cooking sidequest? I was told to find a specific type of salt, but I couldn't find two others in the extremely small area they gave me to search. When I went to turn everything in it had two stars, but in that case what was I suppose to do?

The mushroom poo poo though - that was a really cool way to use the adaptive triggers.

Are we playing the same game? The mushrooms didn't use the adaptive triggers at all for me, you tilted the things with the left stick and use the triggers to pull, and there was no feedback except a uniform controller vibration when tilting. Trigger Effect Intensity is set to Strong in the system. Trigger Effect Function is set to 3 in game.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Vitamean posted:

If you pulled on the trigger while tilting the stick slightly towards one of the directions you got feedback on the trigger, each with slightly varying degrees of give. So you were suppose to test which one gave the most to the least, then pulled them out in that order.

That sounds like it would have been very helpful if it had happened at all. There was no trigger feedback whatsoever when I did this. There is a non zero chance this may be Sony's fault and not a glitch or other Square Enix oversight, because I'm using a Dualsense Edge and currently have the back buttons mapped to the triggers, though I'm not using them in Rebirth, and I haven't changed any dead zone settings or the Edge's own trigger settings.

Fake Edit: I reloaded a save and retried the quest using the default profile and now I have the feedback so this is definitely Sony's fault though I must stress my profile is not using any trigger customisations so what the gently caress.

...was the loving Crunch Minigame supposed to have feedback too? Does it help?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Soul Glo posted:

im wrapping up ch 3. should i be buying materia out of the vending machines? i still just have one of each of the main elemental ones. i did break down and buy a second heal so i could comeback in hard fights a little easier.

also, how the gently caress do you see what abilities a party member has? i'm juggling materia and don't want aero on a guy that has the free wind attack, etc.

You kinda do want Aero on a guy that has the free wind attack because having the free wind attack makes Aero into Aero ⍺. Also, you can see a list of abilities in Combat Settings when setting realtime shortcuts for someone.

It's kinda worth it to keep spare materia around and have one or two being trained up passively, especially on your unused party members. This way if you ever suddenly have a need for a spell like Esuna or Faith or Slow or something you have it to hand. Also it lets you have everyone equipped all at once without having to be swapping materia around so much.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Can someone please gently explain to the Queen's Blood development team that when a card has a power that adds other cards to your hand you should show us what those cards do

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I think I asked this before in Remake's time but have forgotten the answer because it didn't sink in for reasons that will become obvious.

What is meant by a "type of command"? There's a materia that says it gives you a boost after using "3 types of commands" and an accessory that gives you one after "5 types of commands". I am wracking my brains and have absolutely no idea what the gently caress this means. What the gently caress does this mean? I can find no reference in any menu or tutorial to a "type of command".

At least we don't have "Refocus: Activate Refocus Limit Break" anymore. But we still have whatever the gently caress this is.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Jesus loving Christ the Nightmare Survival Card Game.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
What has the game forgotten to explain about Rude & Elena in Chapter 12? They have a cutscene attack that just unavoidably kills the party unless they're all on close to max health. Right before it they use something called "Turks Vengeance" so I assume it's a counter but if it is then how do you stop the AI party from triggering it?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Oh my god I have never seen a setpiece in a video game backfire more spectacularly than what comes after that Turks fight. loving hell at more or less any other point in the game I would loving love this but at this point in this context and with a loving health checkpoint it is the worst thing I have seen in the game so far except maybe the crunch minigame. How did they bungle this so completely

E: like mother of gently caress at least add it to the checkpoint when I use the menu to mainline potions beforehand so I don't have to keep loving redoing that every time I have to retry the fight or better yet just put a full heal before the loving climactic duel come the gently caress on this is not rocket game design your one job is not to make spectacular setpieces feel miserable to play through

Fedule fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Mar 9, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Like to be clear this is, on paper, in isolation, probably the best encounter in the game so far (unless you ding it a couple points for being a repeat from Remake, because one of this game's weird flaws is its slavish fear of not bringing absolutely everything from Remake back). This should be a high point. Nothing in all of video games is a bigger game design failure than turning your high point into a low. They went for something, they really went for it hard, and they planted all their faces through the dirt and into hell.