Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Crossed fingers for Junon Dance Parade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
That stream contained intimidating amounts of content

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Gold Saucer looks like it has enough dang content to be it's own game, gently caress

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Not gonna get to play the demo tonight due to country bumpkin internet speeds, but it's interesting that Zack is sharing the cover with Cloud and Sephiroth when so little has been said about his role here so far.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Clouds mom is just plain Cloud, dang.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

We know where he gets his looks from.

I mean there's no where to go but down, you can't mess with that face.

Also this piano minigame is gonna gently caress me up. It feels amazing to have it really kick off in a combo and stupid fingers your way back to that taunting metronome, poo poo

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

stev posted:

I didn't notice any of this

I didn't get it either but in my defense I hosed around for like a solid 2 minutes assuming that I was supposed to put the fire in front of me out with the obvious valve and water pipes immediately to my right. The amount of interesting and high detail clutter in games these days confuses my old gamer eyes.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I do wonder what it would be like to wander into the series at this particular moment and experience only the the remake series. Like you already played through part 1. You know that Cloud has brain problems and a tendency to just plain go weird, usually with regards to Sephiroth. Hojo all but got to say that Cloud's whole story about being in SOLDIER is a lie before he got tackled by ghosts. You know there's a DEEPLY similar black haired SOLDIER guy with a/the Buster Sword carrying a catatonic Cloud about in the ending for some reason. Is it enough to guess the impersonation, especially after that demo? I mean yeah the Shinra grunt thing is an "if your looking for it" sorta deal but I think just on it's on merits the remake wants you to go looking for it with everything Cloud says real hard.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I keep forgetting about CC Reunion. Did they really jazz it up that much? I could probably fit it in between now and the end of the month I guess but I don't remember the gameplay being all that wild.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I hope we get a lot of Rufus, he's terrible on his own and wants to be a tyrant but he almost immediately after getting into power legitimately has to try to save the world and hangout with the Shinra board who he just hates. Maybe this version spends even more time on the road because he knows his giant office fortress is haunted.

I wanna see him do even weirder gun tricks

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Levantine posted:

I burned through the Yuffie DLC for Remake yesterday and while it was fun it was basically... nothing? Yuffie goes to Midgar to get a thing. Thing isn't there. Fights boss from other game. The end. Yuffie was fun to play as and she's a great little personality. It was also kind of fun seeing other characters from that perspective. But the plot was just super non-important. Unless, of course, Deepground is going to be A Thing or something which, eh, but I think they could make fun given their track record so far.

Intergrade mostly just establishes that Yuffie isn't justa bratty weirdo, she's a full fledged agent of Wutai and that faction is presumably slightly more alive then being a tourist trap. Who knows, we'll have to see.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
They were trying to cultivate a more adventurous, friendly vibe to compensate for the looming presence of the Spencer Shinra mansion

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I never figured out Sephiroths Parry, I thought it would be the same as Cloud's Punisher guard-counter but every time I put it up he just ate it in the face. I tried a few different instances of timing too

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

DeathChicken posted:

That scene after everyone falls on Mt Nibel is pretty great, with Sephiroth staring blankly for like two seconds and then making a genuine effort to save everyone

I like to think he was having some internal monologue about the level of infrastructure Shinra had thrown down around the reactor and then the main way to it is just a big lovely rope bridge over a yawning chasm

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

RuBisCO posted:

I know you probably mean the thing but my favourite is his sheepish admission that he rummaged through Tifa's stuff.

You know Clouds telling the legit version of events because why else would he admit to doing things like this besides a commitment to accuracy and detail.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

See: reasons Genesis is good, actually

Nobody who tries to communicate through that many poetry quotes can be moral

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I can't wait for Tifa to have another improbable slow paced monkey bars segment

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Deepground might as well be a bunch of orcs swarming out of the earth as far as character goes but walking into that mess of neon tron lines and realizing what kinda stupid was about to get dunked on you was kind of great?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
The great off screen avalanche raid was a decision, yeah. You wanna go loving riot on the gigantic corporate hubris tower like you've been waiting for all game? Too bad, somebody else is doing that entirely off screen and outside of one helicopter you'll never even get to see them. Have an hour with Professor Hojo, and you don't even get to watch him be casually mauled.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Cloud and Sephiroth will both die and become the Kingdom Hearts versions of themselves

Including a bit where Cloud sees fit to steal Vincent's clothes

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Also I did a run through of Remake again to try and get my feel for the controls back after making Sephiroth look real bad in the Rebirth demo and the major mechanical issue I'd like addressed if for the game to stop doing a phase transition or something almost the instant I fill the stagger bar and come back out with it empty again.

Let me have my drat burn phase, I played fair for it

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I would have liked it if the exhibits actually talked about the rise of the company some. No go on, tell me about how a small weapons developer founded from a twerp from FFX had a guy figure out Mako Reactors and become the world super power.
Sounds kinda neat.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Is that when they’re adding Junon to the demo?

Yep

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

thebardyspoon posted:

"Man, that guy we got the ride from really drove a hard bargain, I can't believe we had to trade all our materia, weapons and various potions just to get in the car".

Then he shows up as an optional boss with a mech made from all the weapons stuck together with all the materia jammed in it, much later in the game.

The secret origin of Triceratops Tank

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
They leveled up like 10 times in Shinra Tower but then lost those levels after the adrenaline wore out. Sephiroth stole most of the parties materia and gear while they were on their way out of the final boss dimension, to pawn for hair product money.

Tifa spent all of the parties gil in Kalm, on the most expensive shower in town.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

What a way to ignore our friend Chadley.

Cloud is trying his best

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Gologle posted:

Speaking of WEAPONS, are they going to make them smaller in the third game? Because in the OG they were absolutely massive, every single one dwarfed the party, I can't imagine it would play well in the modern games, it would either be laggy as hell or you would essentially be cutting down fleshy tree trunk legs.

Well, we had the Whisper Harbinger as sort of a test bed I guess but I'm not sure anyone would find that compelling.

Asterite34 posted:

Final Fantasy 7: Requiem

...naw, too vampire-y

Final Fantasy 7: Relapse

...no that doesn't sound good either, doesn't have that triumphant last entry vibe

Final fantasy 7: Renegade?

pff gently caress no, sounds like a Syfy original movie

Maybe Final fantasy 7: Redeem? Ya know, if they go for the "Sephiroth turns good" angle?

Revengence

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Actually I was watching the trailers again, did they ever fire the Junon cannon for any reason before Sapphire Weapon?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
The Weapons are both very cool and it's sort of a shame that they are really useless when it comes to the whole Jenova problem.

The one they invented for Dirge even sounds like it was made for exactly situations like Sephiroth's Meteor plan too

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Sephirdoodles

Barret's biscuits

Edit: Barriscuits?

Caidin fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Feb 16, 2024

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I love me some Kingdom Hearts nonsense, like I'd hope Sora would show up if wouldn't bring Disney into it.

grieving for Gandalf posted:

can someone remind me what said Kingdom Hearts nonsense amounted to in Remake? I haven't beaten the game since it came out

I can't remember if they "kill" Sephiroth there and they're gonna be surprised to see him again or if it was weird dream reality poo poo or what

A recap if you want.

Sephiroth is waiting for the party at the end of the Midgar highway before they would have made their way out of the city. He tells Cloud he's Waiting and cuts open a darkness portal and goes through it, everyone goes to follow but Aerith holds them back to say once they go through there is no turning back and then does cetra magic to make the dark portal whiter. I don't know what this achieved. They go through and there is an empty copy Midgar that the Whisper promptly start to rampage through to serve as a sort of ruins floating in the sky arena, and they beat the whispers. The Sephiroth attacks and they have a fight and after that Cloud gets separated from them all and meets Sephiroth again but he actually kinda talks in more then tag lines.

He tells Cloud that they on the edge of creation that all things will eventually return to, and that he (Sephiroth) will not just submit and that he won't let Cloud either, and he asks Cloud to join him in defying destiny. Cloud says no because of course he does and Sephiroth actually seemed kinda bummed but when Cloud comes at him with an Omnislash he perfect parries the whole thing and tells Cloud that "Seven seconds until the end... time enough for you perhaps" and disappears and everyone falls out of the final boss dimension. Then the ending sequence where Zack doesn't die in his last stand while dragging a still catatonic Cloud through the gates of Midgar and now there is a different Stamp on a bag o chips and cue years of fandom speculation.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

Don't forget the Sephiroth at the very end who makes the "offer" to Cloud is obviously fundamentally different in some way from the Sephiroth we see at other times, because he refers to himself with a completely different pronoun (in the original Japanese).

https://twitter.com/aitaikimochi/status/1256221924532916228?t=618OERsTDxOdLELUxn4UZA&s=19

My best guess is that it's somehow a Sephiroth minus the Jenova influence.

I said he wasn't talking in taglines anymore, same thing.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Reno isn't in this one much, right? His Japanese voice actor passed away and they didn't want to recast right away out of respect?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

He shows up in one of the trailers.

Ah, good. Just checking. I remembered hearing that and was worried since he was one of my favorite bits in part 1.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
The Avalanche cell Yuffie meets in Intergrade is weird in that I can't tell if their supposed to be associated with the same assault rifles and uniforms outfit that raided the supply depot Jesse has you hit in Remake since their way more mild in their aims then Barret's crew.

If I remember right they half the reason they wanted to work with Wutai was because they REALLY didn't ninja to shake hands with the 7th Heaven cell, and not long after meeting with them Yuffie and Sonon are both like "This moderate action poo poo is lame, we should go be friends with this Wallace guy."

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Reeve does all the utilities, including being the head of the Mako reactors as I understand it, and none of the rest them are interested in anything but their fetishes and self aggrandizement so he's basically a necessary good.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Gologle posted:

To be fair, I have it on good authority that nothing good is in outer space in Final Fantasy

As you don't stop by the moon it can't hurt to have a looks see, surely.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Rhonne posted:

I like how even President Shinra knows Palmer is a useless sack of poo poo that doesn't do anything and no one likes, or even want to be around, but he also doesn't care enough to replace him with someone who is at least pleasant to be around.

I mean, Hojo is a gross creep, too, but at least he just hides in his lab all day and gets actual results.

Palmer is a perfectly functional table gremlin who can sit at the meeting and politely giggle when the others talk about doing something evil, and that's really all they need from him.

What else are they gonna do, let that Mayor Domino nerd hang with them?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Mad Hamish posted:

Reeve thinks he can run around fixing things behind the scenes after the rest of the board members gently caress things up which is intensely hubristic in its own sad way.

I assume that they all know about his weird cat robot thing and think he's as intensely weird and gross like the rest of them.

Theres an Ultimania that says Reeve has Blue Fairy powers or something where he can bring inanimate objects to life, so I'm hoping Rebirth really gets into just.. Reeves whole deal really. Is Cait Sith a robot or a doll or a robot that only works because Reeve says so. Is Cait entirely remote controlled or a separate entity or what?

Just a few more days now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

i think It's really a thing from like an earlier version of the games script but you almost never hangout with him personally so I like to think this in fact a thing he can still do and it just doesn't come up much.

Outside of when he needs a weird cat spy.