Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

GAME RELEASE FEBRUARY 29 2024
Original game spoilers as well as spoilers for Remake and its DLC in this thread

It's the Final Fantasy, again! The seventh one, again, again!

Synopsis posted:

FINAL FANTASY VII REBIRTH is the highly anticipated new story in the FINAL FANTASY VII remake project, a reimagining of the iconic original game into three standalone titles by its original creators. In this game, players will enjoy various new elements as the story unfolds, culminating in the party’s journey to “The Forgotten Capital” from the original FINAL FANTASY VII.

Final Fantasy VII is a JRPG that originally released in 1997 for the Playstation 1. This is not that game. This is Final Fantasy VII Rebirth (Part 2), an Action RPG... in HD!! currently exclusive for the PS5. This game covers the second section of the original game and takes place immediately after the Midgar section. The demo will Soon be upon us, according to leaks, so let's get this thread on tracks!

STORY

Story posted:

The Unknown Journey Continues...
Cloud and his comrades escape the city of Midgar in pursuit of the fallen hero, Sephiroth. As they travel across the world, they find themselves on a journey that will decide the fate of the planet.

As was revealed in FF7 Remake, this is as much a "sequel" to the original Final Fantasy VII as it is a remake of it. Things will be the same. Things will be different. As such, and seeing as this game is also a direct sequel to Final Fantasy VII Remake, this thread will contain unmarked spoilers for both of those + sidestories like Crisis Core, Dirge of Cerberus, Advent Children, and the like. It won't contain spoilers for The First Soldier because no one played it and now no one can.

GAMEPLAY

The combat in Remake was cool as h*ck and this game plays the same. It has several new playable characters, new materia, new abilities, new limit breaks, and new everything. The biggest additions are enhanced air combat (you'd be generous if you said Remake had air combat, but) as well as "Synergy Skills" and "Synergy Abilities". Synergy Skills lets you perform more unique stuff during combat without using ATB charges. If you use ATB abilities with a character, you store points for that character (you can see those little blips under the ATB bar in the above image). You can then have two characters spend those points together to do a powerful Synergy Ability. Rad!!

F.A.Q.
I didn't play Final Fantasy VII or Final Fantasy VII Remake, should I play this game?

I mean, I don't recommend doing that–both FF7 and FF7Remake are excellent games and worthy of your time–but the internet's not your dad, we can't make you do things. This is very much a sequel to events and character arcs that began in Remake. Do with that information what you will.

Is this game structured similarly to Remake?
Not really, no. Rebirth is far more open from early on than Remake ever gets. Open plains, traversal options, and a lot more optional content.

Why can't I play this on my PC!!
Sony exclusivity period, probably lasts a year, PC port may or may not be completed by the time that period ends. Sorry!!

The final trailer for Remake showed a lot of endgame stuff, will this one also do that?
Probably, because the creators are heinous. Stay away if you wanna go in clean!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

There's gonna be a new State of Play overview of the game in a couple hours here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgdkN2tCAFw

They're gonna release the demo after that!!

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I think it helps in setting up a concrete goal for Yuffie in searching for allies to help her in taking down Shinra + greater personal, emotional connection to the plot (other than the already established impersonal Wutai connection)

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Also a connection to Scarlet, also she gets to see destruction of Sector 7

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

We're not worthy of playing as Sephiroth

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

These poll numbers are hosed up

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://streamable.com/jgb5gx

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Unlucky7 posted:

Playing through the Yuffie DLC and I just remembered that they do not have Sonon playable, but they also have ability requirements such as "Land a finishing blow" for him.

So Syncro Attacks count towards that? Or do I basically need to baby the AI into doing it?

It's really easy by just using ATB commands

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

My hopes for Rebirth is that Barret takes off his glasses more during cutscenes

Man has beautiful eyes

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I hope reviews talk about how the ending is "Kingdom Hearts nonsense" 'cus that's confirmation it'll be epic

See: Tekken 8

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Me a couple hours from now, playing the FF7 Rebirth demo: drat I could be playing Balatro

Me a couple hours from now, playing Balatro: drat I could be playing the FF7 Rebirth demo

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Shoehead posted:

Eyyy I did not notice that the second part of the demo is out at noon gmt (about 2 hours from now). Gonna be a busy day.

Are we talking about demo stuff in here or the spoilers thread?
Spoiler thread contains spoilers from the full game due to leaks, it is not a place to visit unless you want to see that

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Literally everyone but Reeve on Team Shinra is some kind of megalomaniac dumbass
Yeah, he's the diversity hire

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

If someone misses out on it that's their problem, read a book

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Always recommended to delete and turn off your youtube history.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Sidequests are, as far as I've heard, sort of one-on-one affairs between Cloud and a specific party member, so waiting until you've collected the others doesn't really make sense.

As far as I think I've heard

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

game's unlocked byeee

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Spermando posted:

Goddamn, what a way to start the game.
:emptyquote:
lol, lmao

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Escobarbarian posted:

Uh-oh I don’t understand Queen’s Blood at all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EK5msysXBls&t=77s

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Now I shall sleep. The game has gotten 1 good guffaw out of me, and I eagerly await the ones to come

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

MintFresh posted:

I woke up two hours early before I usually get up for work to get a little taste of Rebirth. Let’s goooo unlocked

Edit: why on earth do they dump you into a scenario right away where you can’t enter the real pause menu and edit things like going from graphical to performance. Man the low frame rate is hurting my eyes and you can’t change it. Each time you hit pause it doesn’t give you the real pause menu

Real gamers go to Options before New Game

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

If you're having issues with combat I recommend checking out ChipCheezum's LP of Remake. Just think of a boss you liked/had trouble with and see how he tackles it, you might pick up something there.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

I had sort of gotten the impression that these lifesprings were collecting a bunch of delicious lore for me that I would eventually get around to reading, but if so, I forget where I put it.

The map button has different menus via l1/r1

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

FF7R is a sequel to FF7

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

How long will the Knights of the Round summon cutscene be?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bD6sTDH9Zdc

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

When should I be able to see them in inventory?

Made it through chapter one and this is what I have

https://imgur.com/a/S3SOJEr

Have you actually gone to the DLC menu, under System, and picked them up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Thundarr posted:

The game also isn't immune to horrifying ragdoll accidents.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4X7iT_x3jgs

lol