Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

DalaranJ posted:

Sepiroth saying the Reunion is where realities merge. (Which probably had relevance to Zack's continued existence)

This part is interesting to me because Sephiroth says something different in two different trailers. In one, he describes the Reunion as "when worlds merge." In the most recent trailer, he describes the Reunion as "when spite and sorrow are harvested to feed the Planet." Makes me wonder how those fit together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Azubah posted:

Wasn't that Sephiroth being a real petty rear end in a top hat by quoting someone?

Yeah, as of the Rebirth demo we now know he was quoting Cloud's mother's apparent last words

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

"Aerith dies" is the ur-spoiler of video games. It's probably the single most well known game spoiler to ever exist and FF7Rebirth has literally made the foreknowledge of it a centerpiece of its marketing. Like probably the biggest point of tension going int Rebirth is "We all know Aerith dies in FF7, will she still die in FF7R despite it changing the story?"

It is, but I'd argue we've reached a point where it's fallen out of the public consciousness enough that there are people interested in FF7 Rebirth who don't know yet. I don't love that SE is using Aerith's death this much for marketing, either, for that same reason.

For example, my fiancee really loved Remake but hadn't really followed gaming much back when FF7 was being discussed constantly. She didn't know about Aerith's death but had it spoiled for her on a podcast a couple years back, which she was super upset about. I can't imagine she's that rare.

It's one of those things where like... unlike Darth Vader or Rosebud or whatever, Aerith's death hasn't really come up a ton outside of discussions of FF7 specifically in a good, long while. It's sort of looped back around to being a spoiler again IMO.

To expand, I think it's easy for those of us who pay a lot of attention to games to think "everyone" knows what we know--that our knowledge is "common knowledge." But it isn't, not necessarily. See also: a lot of very confused comments on TikToks about the Rebirth demo wondering why Sephiroth was being so nice, or why Cloud has the Buster Sword in the flashback when he "isn't supposed to yet." (I'm very amused by the emergence of a group that appears to have played Crisis Core but not the original FF7, I unironically love that.) What is and isn't a "real" spoiler isn't quite as clear cut I don't think.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Feb 20, 2024

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

lol got absolutely rocked by the Junon demo boss. I have clearly completely forgotten how to play this battle system

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Already love Synergy commands. I’m gonna have a lot of fun with this combat in the full game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

The ending is messy but I don't think it's really confusing. If anything it's a bit more straightforward than FF7R's ending in terms of what is actually happening. It's going to bug people but largely for the same reason FF7R's ending did. I can't really say more without spoiling things. (I also have no idea what they mean by 'contradicted the choices I made' because the story is largely linear with the exception of the Gold Saucer date. The dialogue choices you make largely just change your relationship levels or occasionally how certain segments play out.)

Out of curiosity: did you like the ending, or did you feel like it lacked impact like the reviewer says?

I can get behind messy but that can also mean a lot of different things.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

SettingSun posted:

Isn't Ever Crisis just a reimagining of bits of CC and the OGFF7 or is there more to it than I realize?

IIRC there are new characters and expanded lore for things like Sephiroth's backstory. Not sure what does or doesn't come up in Rebirth and I haven't played Ever Crisis myself so I can only go on what I've heard.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Easy Allies review confirms no materia loadouts

0/10, game ruined, slap in the face, Nomura's a hack, etc., etc.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Honest answer:

The game makes materia swapping far less essential. The overall number of material slots is lower, especially early on, and there's like one segment where the game unequips your materia and it is only for a specific character. It's generally better to build a character for the role you want them to fill than to swap things around.

A big thing is that every character will learn free magic spells as abilities now, so it's genuinely not necessary to slap magic materia on every character. Aerith benefits a shitload from magic materia because of Arcane Ward and the fact that her Sphere Grid lets her learn 'enhanced' magical spells which other people can't, but other characters don't need them anywhere as much. Almost every character has more options on what to do that aren't tied to magic Materia.

Red XIII is actually a great example. The new skills he gets actually use his Vengeance Gauge as a resource and can do things like refill ally ATB, give everyone haste or have a super powerful heal. That gives you more room to load him up with other kinds of Materia to boost his tanking abilities.

Edit:

Oh, one thing I should note - Barret no longer has melee weapons. All of his weapons are ranged guns, but his melee moves have now been folded into into Synergy Skills or abilities for other weapons. For the most part this is just a plain buff because he can still functionally fight at close range, but it does disappointingly mean you can't have him beat a dude over the head with a wrecking ball.

Oh that's nice. I did like a lot of the changes and new abilities in the demo. Cloud's Firebolt Blade (I think that was the name?) where he can do fire and lightning damage with just ATB and no MP is a good example. It looks like they maybe took some ideas from Yuffie's combat in Intergrade, where she has more ways to hit elemental weaknesses than just spells.

It's nice that it seems like characters are more capable independent of materia so it feels like there are fewer "must-have" materia this time.

DO IT TO IT posted:

Is Assess still a materia that you have to equip? (if this is answered by the demo, I've been avoiding playing it)

Yes, unfortunately. It's in the demo.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

As a Breath of Fire fan, "excessive minigames" is a selling point for me, if anything

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I made the mistake of dismissing reviews similar to that Polygon one about FFXVI but then I ended up agreeing with some of them, so I'm not dismissing it out of hand. I might feel the same once I play it. I hope not, but hey, you never know.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Unlucky7 posted:

So are there any particular reviews that outright spoils stuff that we should be aware of?

Gamespot and IGN both talk about how they felt about the ending, which might feel spoilery for some.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

That doesn't surprise me too much, and also explains what people were saying about Cid's assholery being toned down. If Shera hasn't even appeared yet maybe they're just saving that for next time.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oh poo poo they do? Well that's very interesting

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think my favorite part of the Junon demo is how excited Aerith looks that she has such a high bounty

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

My main takeaway from the open world part of the demo: all part 3 needs is a jump button and it'll be perfect.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Here's a gameplay question: in trailers they showed how characters have different navigational abilities, like Barret shooting things or Red XIII running along walls. Are you able to manually switch your lead character outside of battle now, or are those all at scripted moments like they were in Remake?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Spermando posted:

Some nerd in a different forum who's read all the Japanese-only Motorola flip phone-exclusive novels has been writing reams of text for years saying (Intermission ending) those aren't Sector 7 survivors, but rather Sector 7 victims, and that it's all a vision in the lifestream and Zack did in fact die on that hill outside of Midgar. His main arguments are the fact that they reused the model of one of the boys who is seen in the intro and that the cross in the church is a different colour than the in-game asset. No-one takes him seriously, but who knows where they'll go with that.

I really like this theory and I think it makes a lot of sense. We'll see if it's reinforced or otherwise by Rebirth but I've started to think this is likely the case.

(Speculation, not spoilers, but it follows up on the spoilered text above so I'm blocking it out to be safe) The creative leads have said regularly that the Remake trilogy will generally follow the plot of FF7, just with an extra mystery on top. If Zack was actually alive or there were actually multiple timelines that were going to cross, that wouldn't be true--that would be a pretty massive change. But if Zack was dead and what we saw was him in the Lifestream, then I could see how that could go--Zack fighting from within the Lifestream and Cloud fighting in the material world. It'd also explain why Biggs woke up at the end of Remake: he didn't wake up in the real world, he "woke up" in the Lifestream. Wouldn't be surprised if we see Jesse and Wedge in "Zack's timeline" at some point, too.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Azubah posted:

Nibelheim incident question: Tifa was snuck out of town after the incident right? If not could she of been a victim of Hojo's continued experiments like Zack and Cloud?

At least in the existing lore, her teacher Zangan snuck her out and took her to Midgar for medical treatment. If he hadn't done that and she had survived (which was a long shot, she was very badly hurt) then she might've ended up being experimented on, yeah.

Asterite34 posted:

Does that mean that the different Stamp on that bag of chips represents an earlier discontinued design for the character and its dead soul rejoined the Lifestream?

lmao that would rule if it was the explanation

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Harrow posted:

I really like this theory and I think it makes a lot of sense. We'll see if it's reinforced or otherwise by Rebirth but I've started to think this is likely the case.

(Speculation, not spoilers, but it follows up on the spoilered text above so I'm blocking it out to be safe) The creative leads have said regularly that the Remake trilogy will generally follow the plot of FF7, just with an extra mystery on top. If Zack was actually alive or there were actually multiple timelines that were going to cross, that wouldn't be true--that would be a pretty massive change. But if Zack was dead and what we saw was him in the Lifestream, then I could see how that could go--Zack fighting from within the Lifestream and Cloud fighting in the material world. It'd also explain why Biggs woke up at the end of Remake: he didn't wake up in the real world, he "woke up" in the Lifestream. Wouldn't be surprised if we see Jesse and Wedge in "Zack's timeline" at some point, too.

To add on to this:

There's also an interview about Crisis Core where the Remake leads say that there is "no contradiction" between the ending of Crisis Core and the Remake ending and we'll have to wait until the end of the Remake trilogy to see why.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ImpAtom, did you play on Normal or Dynamic? I'm kind of curious how Dynamic mode works and if its level scaling feels satisfying.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah that's a thing from one of the earlier Ultimanias. As the wiki puts it:

quote:

Reeve is an Inspire, a person with the supernatural ability of animating and manipulating inorganic matter, which he uses to bring life to and control the various Cait Siths seen through the Final Fantasy VII series.

From his wiki entry here: https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Reeve_Tuesti#Abilities

So Cait Sith is Pinocchio to Reeve's Gepetto, I guess?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

So is Cait Sith's deal that he's being directly controlled by Reeve, or is he his own lifeform that is just in contact with Reeve?

I assumed the former, but the weird Inspire stuff kinda implies it's maybe the latter.

(Spoiler tags just in case anyone else doesn't want this plot twist elaborated on)

Cait Sith is a robot that Reeve built but also "brought to life" magically, so he's both a robot who can be directly controlled by Reeve and an autonomous entity (AI or otherwise). There are times in the original game, for example, when Reeve is imprisoned and not controlling Cait Sith but Cait Sith keeps on going on his own. He does have his own separate identity and personality. It's possible Rebirth will expand on or contradict this but this is the lore as of the original game and compilation.

edit: or not! This might just be Ultimatnia/Compilation stuff

Harrow fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Feb 26, 2024

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

This actually isn't the case in the original. Reeve directly controls Cait Sith somehow. There's a scene where he is in a meeting with Scarlet and Heidegger and talking to the party at the same time and he actually ends up using the wrong accent because he's so flustered.

Oh weird lol

Do they ever explain how Cait Sith keeps operating while Reeve is in prison or did he just smuggle his controller in with him or something?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah that makes sense. Well as much as any "It's magic, don't think too hard about it" explanation can make sense, so... it makes enough sense. I'm also now remembering that Scarlet and Heidegger scene and hoping it happens in the Remake trilogy at some point because it was funny

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ahhhhhhhh god drat it I want to play this game so loving bad ahhhhhhh

Okay thanks sorry, just had to get that out

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mechafunkzilla posted:

The original line is "the steel sky...I miss it" or something like that, right? It's a pretty good line.

Yeah, it's "I miss it... the steel sky." I really loved that line but I can understand the reasons for changing it. Very mixed feelings there but y'know.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

All I can find is that you need "save data from the demo." Not sure if it matters which part of the demo.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Spoilers are out on YouTube now, so take care if you're worried about getting spoiled.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lol hell yeah, if this happened with the original version this printing would be a pretty valuable collector's item by now

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lol I love the idea that "hey let's wildly gently caress up our initial print run and really confuse a large group of dedicated customers" is some kind of nefarious marketing ploy

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Arist posted:

Crime Hazard

I saw someone in a Youtube comment who got mad that they relocalized "Climhazard" as "Ascension" for the remake lol

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oh huh, the -ga spells take 2 ATB to cast this time. Slight nerf but it also seems like some synergy skills give you easier access to the Refocus effect from Remake that gives you an extra ATB so it's probably necessary.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Oh man if I permanently missed something....

You don't get to keep any items you pick up in the flashback anyway. If you missed anything it'd just be a brief scene or some lines of dialogue.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Dear god Stardust Ray hits like a loving truck

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm addicted to Firebolt Blade and also to Red XIII's Vengeance Mode

Combat is so much fun so far

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah the weapon upgrade trees from Remake are gone, replaced with the folios. This time, you just equip weapon skills. The skills are automatically learned as your weapon levels up, the "auto-upgrade" just automatically equips skills to your specification.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The fact that characters who aren't in your active party not only still get EXP, but their materia also still get AP is so loving nice

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Everything you've done carries over, but you do have the ability to set sidequests to a done/undone state when selecting a chapter. Any sidequest that has a noteworthy boss fight at the end does require you to redo it to get a manuscript, as well as the 'final' Classified Intel monster hunt for each segment which gets you a manuscript and a special craft material you can only get on hard. (Basically anything that qualifies as a boss fight gets you a manuscript in hard mode.)

That's extremely cool

There's so much cool QoL stuff in Rebirth. The party presets, AP gain on equipped materia even for characters not in your active party, an apparently much more flexible postgame chapter select, etc.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Does Rebirth have the Remake mechanic of skill proficiency letting you use other skills on new weapons? I just got the Sleek Saber and I’m afraid to equip it because nothing has indicated if I need to use Focused Thrust on the Buster Sword enough

Yes. Use an ability enough and you'll learn it permanently, just like Remake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

GoGoGadget posted:

I haven't had time to play yet, but I've been watching videos at work. What is the purpose of regular attacks if you can just spam the synergy skills? They have additional effects and allow you to use synergy abilities. Regular attacks just...do damage?

Regular attacks are faster and more flexible, and can boost ATB for a single character more quickly. They also do decent damage and let you do things like stay in the air juggling enemies.

Right now I use both because both have their uses, though that might shift as I unlock more synergy skills that do more different things.