Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Does the game look a bit washed out to anyone else? I can't tell if it's just because Nibelheim is inherently grey or if it's an actual issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

No Mods No Masters posted:

I mean it still chugs in performance mode, it just does so by tanking the resolution. If you play around at the very beginning when you're walking around in the town you can get some pretty hideous results in certain spots

Yeah the demo sets a really bad first impression - in the village you either get a super low resolution or a super low framerare.

Play has no limits - well one limit but you get to choose what it is :v:

It's fine after that though so maybe Nibelheim pre-fire is just very poorly optimised.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Vitamean posted:

I did notice a weird problem with the... lighting? When you enter the Shinra facility where it was way too dark and snapped bright suddenly.

Felt like it was supposed to similate your eyes adjusting to the room but it's pretty sudden yeah.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Oh poo poo there's a piano minigame that I completely missed? Now I have a reason to replay it when the full game releases :)

bewilderment posted:

When you're following Tifa around it was weird to me that depending on the direction you tried to walk the game would let you keep slowly walking and eventually it would give up and it would totally break Tifa's pathing and her 'leading' you for a little bit.

I'm the sort of person who always needs to walk the way you're not supposed to just to see what happens - and every time I did it the demo punished me with a full 10+ seconds of Cloud very slowly walking forward, turning around and slowly walking back. That poo poo's gonna add 5 hours to my playtime.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Shoehead posted:

If that bit doesn't drive it home then getting blown backwards into the exact same position the grunt was laying in and him totally disappearing should

I didn't notice any of this

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

triple sulk posted:

Performance mode is getting graphical improvements that will be in the update on the 21st (and the full game, obviously).

Is this the first time all the 'don't worry, this is just a demo, the full game will look better' comments could turn out to be true?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

They beat up a bunch of monsters and houses and pick up sick loot/xp which is how most JRPG characters get more powerful.

Presumably they'll also be going from flinging firagas to barely scraping a fire together. Almost all of it can be explained by Yuffie robbing them though.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Revengeance

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Harrow posted:

It is, but I'd argue we've reached a point where it's fallen out of the public consciousness enough that there are people interested in FF7 Rebirth who don't know yet. I don't love that SE is using Aerith's death this much for marketing, either, for that same reason.

Yeah it's an odd situation. Normally I'd say it's not a big deal and it's absolutely public knowledge. But millions of people were just introduced to the story via Remake and it's not inconceivable that a lot of them (particularly those not yet born in 1997) have tried to avoid spoilers.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

ImpAtom posted:

Nope. Remake depended heavily on lots of tricks to hide its loading issues, Rebirth (and Yuffie DLC) ditched most of those.

And yet they still managed to work some crack squeezing and lift riding into the demo.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

JBP posted:

What's the wait on PC? I think I might just wait to play it if it's a hundred hours long and PS performance mode isn't great.

The first one was about a year and a half. I wouldn't hold my breath for anything much sooner than that.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

This terror of the deep guy is hard as balls after barely touching this combat for four years.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

JBP posted:

The vent vacuum in particular was a wtf.

Yeah that's the one thing that stood out to me as absolutely bizarre and terrible busywork.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Iacen posted:

Amazon has never done this before…

Can I have it please.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Still no dispatch confirmation from ShopTo. They guarantee delivery on release day but I'm getting worried.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

ImpAtom posted:

So just as an FYI, the game has a Soft and Hard point of no return.

The 'soft' point is before a major (non-spoiler) event The Date at Gold Saucer and while you can continue to do things after that there's a reason to do it beforehand. (You will need to go past this for one of the sidequest chains though.) So if you're at all concerned about a point where you should knock out side content you haven't done, that's the point to do it.

Does the game warn you at all before you do that?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Welp I decided to play through Nibelheim again. Got to the end of that, excited to start the next chapter and I'm booted to an installation screen that's been sat at 88% for ten minutes. Guess I'm going to bed.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Lakbay posted:

I think I've narrowed my combat problems to forgetting to block/dodge/move out of the way and when to use the R1 synergies

This is my whole problem right now. There's so much going on it's incredibly easy to forget to dodge and block. And when I do the enemy decides not to attack for 30 seconds.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Dumb question - do the summons I got for beating the demo, Remake and Integrade appear later on naturally? Or are they exclusive to people with save data?

I don't like using that sort of bonus if it means getting stuff before the game intended. But if I'm never gonna get Leviathan any other way I'll happily use him.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Paracausal posted:

Keep pumping synergy skills which will unlock synergy actions kinda like a mini limit break. Tifa and Clouds sky whirlwind kick rules

I wish the first synergy skills you got weren't ranged parries. I ain't gonna remember to use that.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

ImpAtom posted:

If you're having trouble remember that finding the shrines in the overworld will let you turn down the difficulty.

Yeah I wiped so quickly the first time I assumed you're not really supposed to do it raw and that's just a challenge for masochists.

I did it again with two shrines and it wasn't bad at all.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Taima posted:

Is there any downside or cap to hanging onto research points with the boy Chadley or should I be grabbing materia whenever I have the points for it...?

At least in the grasslands I got exactly enough points to buy all the materia he had in stock, so I assume if you do everything you can afford it all.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Quinton posted:

and when you do hop off the bird hangs around so you can hop back on again (which doesn't require a button press).

This is great until I want to interact with something and keep accidentally getting on the chocobo.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I kind of assume 16's budget and dev time was comparable to this - they just focused those resources on the kaiju fights and production values instead of all the other stuff. It certainly looks and runs a lot better than Rebirth does.

Actually 16 would've been in development a lot longer, assuming Rebirth didn't start much before Remake was out.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

BisbyWorl posted:

His entire sideplot in Remake was him breaking free from Shinra's control and being able to do his own thing.

That's exactly what a Shinra plant would have you believe.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

VagueRant posted:

What are they doing for an official soundtrack release? I remember it took a while for Remake too.

I heard there was a disc version scheduled, but that there's so many tracks in the game that even that was going to be curated.

I just want to listen to the tunes, man.

Square usually does the premium physical thing first then releases the whole thing digitally soon after. It's always a year or two before they hit streaming platforms.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

…why does the sit-up mini game have jiggle physics

Why would it not? :colbert:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

JBP posted:

Yeah but the fight is over so quickly. I usually just smash out magic blade from cloud to get two bars on each then cast all my set-up. If magic blade connects with trash mobs they're usually nearly dead lol.

Trash seems to die crazy quickly in this. Way moreso than Remake.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Is there any way to to see the end-of-fight updates after the fact? They fly across the screen so fast I barely register what happened. And if an enemy drops something there's no way I'll realise.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'm in Junon and suddenly the game looks great in performance mode. Was there a patch or have my eyes just adjusted?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

ImpAtom posted:

Rebirth has more narrative momentum and is a better road trip game than FF15, don't @ me

Absolutely. It's an incredible road trip game. I've decided 15 doesn't count as a road trip game because it's too drat open, you're very rarely actually going to any sort of destination.

I can't believe I'm 24 hours into this thing and I'm only at the boat. I've got so much game left and I'm excited about that.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Costa Del Sol is so drat fun, gently caress the minigame haters I'm having a blast.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'm still at the point where all summons are just an "I win" button, which is good in a pinch.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Lmao the PS5 update made Chadley louder.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

MintFresh posted:

I’m still on chapter 9. When I played Remake, with the lockdown, I felt like I burned through that whole game in a week including playing Animal Crossing. It’s hard to compare the two game experiences (rebirth and remake) because I just don’t have time like I did during a lockdown. I feel like it’s affecting the Rebirth experience when you really can only play on weekends and have huge breaks between them

Same here, but I'm on chapter 7 and my playtime is already nearly as high as my whole Remake playthrough.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

mistermojo posted:

the devs really delivered with the beach outfits. god bless them

It's a cop out that Barrett just wears his sailor outfit again.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Rabid Snake posted:

I love this game but when they dump the open world on you consecutively; just stop. The narrative is good

So far at least you can just run past the open world if you don't want to engage with it.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The little the dance off/girl group skit at the start of chapter 8 had me wanting a X-2 remake.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

History Comes Inside! posted:

The 1 star summons are from the dlc/bonus content bullshit for preordering and/or having a save from the last game. They can’t be upgraded.

It's a shame they went to the trouble of implementing the bonus summons but made them functionally useless after the first few chapters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Calling it now, KotR will be part 3 DLC and there'll be a whole big quest series and a dungeon to unlock it.