Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Caidin posted:

Crossed fingers for Junon Dance Parade

Cloud is gonna bust a move to a sick techno track and impress the gently caress out of Rufus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Finally, confirmation that it's pronounced Cait Sith!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

deoju posted:

Kinda wish I didn't watch that. Feel like it might have spoiled some cool moments.

Still pumped as gently caress though.

That's the thing, if they're showing all that, what insane poo poo are they still holding back?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Azubah posted:

This was the best part of the state of play.

Spoiler for team attack:

Dear Square, maybe please don't kill this woman this time around, she seems cool, I dunno.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

McTimmy posted:

Whoever is least friend will get sworded instead.

The whole party throws themselves between Aerith and Sephiroth and they all get skewered all at once.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

McTimmy posted:

Including himself! That's right there's a hidden Cloud affection mechanic for himself and it's the hardest one to get of all because-

Nah, the secret date is Zack.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Coffee Jones posted:

Right Cloud lets us sit through 90 minutes of Extremely Unreliable Narration and Tifa doesn’t call him out on his bullshit. let’s see what happens now that we’ve uh decided that this isn’t going to be a 1 to 1 retelling.

The first trailer for Rebirth literally has Tifa pull Aerith aside and go yeah, Cloud was just straight loving lying about being in Nibelheim. What's up with that?, so add on to all the thread pulling that was being done in Remake already before they even left Midgar, plus Zack being alive over on Earth-2, and things are probably gonna start fraying a lot faster than they did in the original game.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

triple sulk posted:

Yeah, it's an easy play and the revamped combat system makes for a much better experience in spite of all the Genesis crap.

The character work it does for Zack and Sephiroth is also fantastic.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Unlucky7 posted:

Do I need to stop and grind some levels during the story for CC? I think I was trying to play through the side missions and it burned me out on the game a bit.

Crisis Core is structured in a way that if you're just playing the base game, there's not much need for level grinding. Just going through each plot area at a steady pace is enough to clear the game, or at least so I remember it. It's the side missions where the difficulty spikes and the need for grinding emerges.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Spermando posted:

She's just that smooth when it comes to gaslighting.

Yeah, she also spent weeks-to-months in a coma after Sephiroth sliced her clean open, so maybe her memory's also fuzzy as to what exactly happened over the 48-ish hours Sephiroth was in Nibelheim, so there's just enough room for her to start going "Wait, am I the crazy one here?"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I really hope they lean into the Jenova-based distrust among the party when they realize it's a shapeshifter and both Cloud and Tifa are suddenly mutually sus completely unintentionally. Everyone thinking the others are The Thing would be rad.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

No Mods No Masters posted:

*Elon voice* Tell it to aerith

Rufus spends 26 hours a day shitposting on Shinra Twitter in the most obnoxious out of touch unfunny ketamine-feuled way possible. And no one is allowed to make fun of him because he'll have their families kidnapped and thrown off the top of the Plate into the slums.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Caidin posted:

I hope we get a lot of Rufus, he's terrible on his own and wants to be a tyrant but he almost immediately after getting into power legitimately has to try to save the world and hangout with the Shinra board who he just hates. Maybe this version spends even more time on the road because he knows his giant office fortress is haunted.

I wanna see him do even weirder gun tricks

The last trailer shows him going to the Temple of the Ancients with Hojo, so there's at the very least probably going to be a scene of him and the party yelling at each other before the Northern Crater. The fact that Rufus is the only person outside the party who can also see the Plot Ghosts is really interesting and I want to see what that ultimately means going forward. Especially now that we're on the other side of the Advent Children retcon and we know he doesn't die in the main plot of the game. Or DOES HE :tinfoil:

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Feb 9, 2024

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

DalaranJ posted:

Tifa: "Our reactor was the first of it's kind. It really put Mt. Nibel on the map."
Me: "Monorail, monorail, monorail!"

Did the town hall have a sign about some sort of cowboy festival that explains why all the government liaisons are wearing fancy duds? I missed it going back through.

I've sold Mako reactors to Junon, Gongaga and North Corell!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Gologle posted:

You know, in retrospect, having a move you call "Hell's Gate" that also emits dark energy when you use it should have tipped off the therapist at Shinra that something wasn't quite right.

I mean if Ever Crisis and Crisis Core are anything to go off of, Sephiroth had been telling the Shinra Mental Health team for years that there was something wrong about him and was met with "That's nice, kid" as a response until he just went "gently caress it."

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

The Shinra therapist is just Palmer in Groucho glasses.

Explains why he was terrified to see Sephiroth stalking about Shinra HQ again.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

biceps crimes posted:

Sephiroth is clearly traumatized and needed help. It’s a tragedy

Oh the world we'd be in if instead of reacting to the revelation of his creation with "It is my destiny to rule the planet", Sephiroth instead went "I am going to burn Shinra to the ground" and focused his rage on the real cause of everyone's problems.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SettingSun posted:

Breeding opened pretty late in the original. Maybe in part 3.

They've said Chocobo breeding isn't in Rebirth.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

How else is Cloud supposed to process the death(?) of Aerith/Tifa/Barret/Yuffie/Zack/Roche/Rude/Johnny/Don Corneo/Dio/Tankceratops without hours and hours of making chocobos gently caress?

Oh right snowboarding.

That is the thing I want to see the most, if she survives Rebirth, I want to see Aerith snowboarding.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

They have a spare so it'd be fine

And that Cloud didn't lie to everyone about being in SOLDIER and has Zack around to get the story straight.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

My memories of Dirge are fuzzy but isn't she also Vincent's love interest in that game?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly if they remade DoC in the Remake style it probably would be a better game.

It would not surprise me if there is a Vincent and/or Cid-centric DLC similar to InterMISSION for Yuffie that comes out between Rebirth and Part 3, because it sounds like the two of them are gonna be popping in and out of the party compared to the rest of the characters over the course of Rebirth. I could see Square trying to tackle some Dirge material there rather than just remake the game entirely.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

They kept the stairs which is frankly the most important part of Shinra Tower before meeting the president.

They made the stairs even better. Honestly, I love the visual and sound design for the upper section of the stairs because it makes it seem like you yourself are having a stroke after walking up 60+ flights of stairs in real life.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

OneEightHundred posted:

Been unironically thinking for a while that killing Cloud off at the end would be probably the one twist they could do that would be as big as the original.

Kitase's said that after living with these characters for close to 30 years now, he wants to see them all have happy endings this time around, so make whatever of that what you will...

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I'd actually say it's closer to 6 hours. I beat it in two three hour sessions: pre-Shinra building is 3 hours and then the Shinra building itself is 3 hours.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mike the TV posted:

When I was a pre-teen I had a crush on Yuffie and worked hard to get her on the Gold Saucer date. Now I kinda hope she's not able to go :yikes:

"Cloud Strife is dating a teenager?!"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Final Fantasy VII: Rip A Huge Fart And Then Leave

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Caidin posted:

The Weapons are both very cool and it's sort of a shame that they are really useless when it comes to the whole Jenova problem.

The one they invented for Dirge even sounds like it was made for exactly situations like Sephiroth's Meteor plan too

It is kind of hilarious that the WEAPONs, which were made by the planet to fight Jenova, instead of staying at the Northern Crater were Jenova was, hosed off elsewhere around the world as soon as they were awakened and were then locked out of the place where Jenova was by Sephiroth's barrier, so they just kind of milled around and started attacking humanity's most gaudy insults to the natural world: Junon, Midgar, and the Gold Saucer.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Azubah posted:

How many times is Rebirth going to go over the Nibelheim incident? I forgot when the payoff for that happens in the original game.

The original game does it 3 times, Cloud's version in Kalm, the Zack reveal at the Northern Crater, and the True Version at Mideel/in the Lifestream. Both the second and third versions take place beyond where Rebirth as stated to end, but given how Zack's alive in a timeline somewhere, that shoe might drop faster this time around. We'll see in a couple of weeks.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

God, Bri's so adorable. I love it when voice actors stream stuff they've been in like this, it's so fun.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

mycot posted:

It was such a famous spoiler that Aerith was kinda video gaming's Gwen Stacy where the character became mostly famous for dying. Though it's a funny coincidence that we concurrently have an alive Gwen and Aerith as actual characters in the popular consciousness.

That is an interesting comparison to make especially because, like you said, Spider-Gwen has basically all but replaced the original Gwen Stacey in popular consciousness now, to the point where if you do a google search, you get like two pictures of OG Gwen and then the rest are all Spider-Gwen/Ghost Spider Gwen. Also to the point where Amazing Spider-Man 2's Gwen death feels like it's a weird anomaly now on top of all the other weird poo poo in it that made ASM2 such a bad movie despite it paying homage to one of the seminal moments in comic book history.

It will be interesting to see what happens in Rebirth in regard to Aerith in that context too.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Feb 20, 2024

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Blockhouse posted:

The Gwen Stacey comparison is even more apt since both characters were essential canonized both by the fandom and later media depicting the characters post-death as a perfect pure Virgin Mary figures instead of the actual characters they were

Again, mad props to Remake for reclaiming the image of Aerith as a woman who curses and hits people with folding chairs and tells Sephiroth to go screw himself right to his face and is weirdly horny for all types of poo poo across the spectrum and throws on stunna shades while styling on enemies.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Played like 20 minutes of the Junon demo and decided that actually nah I'll just wait to dive into the full experience from the start when I get the full game.

Which might be a few weeks late and that's gonna be painful. :negative:

I don't got a PS5 so I have to wait until at least May, probably MUCH longer to play it on PC :(

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

I should note that there is actually one major cut to the game. It's one that makes sense but it is probably the most obviously absent thing that I'm sure will appear in the next game. I don't really consider "this isn't in the game" a spoiler but just in case:

There is no Rocket Town. The Palmer boss fight still happens, just Rocket Town doesn't appear.

Is the truck still there though? That's the important part.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Gologle posted:

If you have a decent computer, absolutely not, get them on Steam.

Especially because the game is insanely easily moddable, so you can do all sorts of fun and cool poo poo with it that you can't on the PS4/PS5.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

stuker posted:

"7 seconds before the end"

though i will never stop laughing if they make that sequence a QTE in rebirth

Nah, they're not gonna put that to ANYTHING player determinate because they still have a Part 3 to make and they're not gonna make two different versions of the game depending on if you hosed up a timing puzzle or not. Either Aerith lives and they make that game, or Aerith dies and they make that game.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

stuker posted:

oh i would expect the QTE to end the same way regardless, just maybe cloud gets to make an exaggerated stumble along the way

Please God let it be of a level of the infamous Heavy Rain QTE chase gently caress up sequence:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy44s_de15Y

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

Finally finished Intergrade just in time. It was pretty good overall, and wow, they made Yuffie into a fun character, and Sonon was surprisingly good as a red-shirt.

That said, it was extremely video-gamey in that so much of what happened relied on Yuffie and Sonon failing to take any particular action to stop people from doing things. You almost have to assume that Scarlet got a memo from the Whispers telling her she can't die in Part 1 because otherwise it makes no sense that she has so little fear of death. (I mean, arguably the Whispers literally would rescue her from death if it happened in this side-story, but she shouldn't know that.)

Eh, from what I remember of Original Game Scarlet, she was very much an "I am invincible!" type of overconfident dumbshit until literally the last second before the Prod Clod exploded out from under her. So her characterization in Intergrade tracks completely.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Asterite34 posted:

Scarlet is to robotics (and military killbots) what Hojo is to biology (and flesh abominations). While she comes off slightly better since her work involves fewer Mengele-esque rape experiments, there's still a shared strain of god complex megalomania

Literally everyone but Reeve on Team Shinra is some kind of megalomaniac dumbass and they all pay for their hubris spectacularly. Aside from Palmer, I suppose, because no one gives a poo poo to check in on Palmer once Shinra No.26 fails to stop Meteor. I'm guessing Rufus just immediately fired him, because he's just like loving gone from the game after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Seriously, ImpAtom, IS. THE TRUCK. STILL THERE?