Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Here's a montage of stuff from Kalm and the Grasslands area, so immediately after the demo stops

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLxqlB0-Uf8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
From what they've shown I don't think there's going to be chocobo breeding. It looks like the chocobos are just unlockable open world traversal enhancers.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

nine-gear crow posted:

And that Cloud didn't lie to everyone about being in SOLDIER and has Zack around to get the story straight.

any odds of that twist happening are pretty small at that point

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I don't think we would have gotten a game at all since it seems no one on cthe creative team was interested in just doing the same story over

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I get not liking the Shinra building changes but they're definitely not for no reason. It's extrapolating what's basically an end of act 1 checkpoint in the original game into a final dungeon for a standalone title.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
my favorite ff7 development thing is that in the earliest drafts of the script the black-robed figures were actually going to be Jenova's floating disembodied limbs and head

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I'm honestly not sure what the plans with the Weapons were considering that Jenova mainly killed the Cetra by shapeshifter-murdering her way through the population. Not really the type of problem a giant robot is going to solve.

And now in Remake there's the added lore that the basis for Shiva's the one who froze Jenova in the Northern Crater to begin with so good job, Weapons!

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
We're not seeing the weapons till next game right? Those were entirely a disc 2 thing

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I think we've already seen the Whispers in some of the trailers though I predict the thing that will make people mad is whatever is going on with Zack

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
According to the Ultimania there's four different Sephiroths in Remake:

- The one in Cloud's visions
- The one in flashbacks
- The "black-robed men" aka Sephiroth copies
- The one you fight at the end

what the gently caress does any of that mean? Who knows. But Sephiroth is the most changed character from the original game, where he doesn't have the fixation on making Cloud hate him like the one(s???) in Remake does. That probably means something.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The Gwen Stacey comparison is even more apt since both characters were essential canonized both by the fandom and later media depicting the characters post-death as a perfect pure Virgin Mary figures instead of the actual characters they were

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

GateOfD posted:

is anything from my FF7R file gonna carry over to Rebirth?

You get Leviathan materia for a regular save file and Ramuh for Intermission

That's it.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I think it's because they're dropping you in after a chunk of the game that would acclimate you and the combat is a lot faster/more aggressive than Remake

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Fedule posted:

How in gently caress do you make Cloud or Red jump. I have seen them literally float indefinitely attacking once up there and I know I have seen them do jumping attacks that don't immediately bring them to ground after but if I don't have meter and I need to get in the air I feel like the game forgot to say what to do.

Also did Tifa just eat a Deadly Dodge materia or something? I feel like everyone's just completely internalised a lot of tricks from Remake. This game is gonna be stupid nuts.

for cloud and tifa dodge and hold square to zip to an enemy then mash square for aerial combo

Red doesn't really have air options

e: correction tifa's dodge does not send her up in the air, but her synergy move with cloud and her reverse gale skill do

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Feb 22, 2024

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
After playing some more I think Synergy Abilities are the key to combat this time. They really are like mini-limit breaks.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Cloud's ranged attacks aren't from block, they from after a dodge, and if you hold square after a dodge Cloud will charge to an enemy in an aerial state allowing you to use a new air combo and changing some ability properties (Braver does more damage while airborne for instance) It's much more substantial than the air combat in Remake.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Thundarr posted:

You can target both ways the boss can lock up a character and attack them directly to free them. One of them is hard to break without using ATB for spells, though.

You have non-ATB spell damage options:

- Everything Aerith does
- Dodge with Cloud and fire Blade Beams
- Cloud and Red have a synergy skill (not ability so free to use) that does ranged magic damage

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Judging by the official timeline, Gast met Ilfana after he resigned from Shinra because they cut him out of the Jenova research when he started to suspect he hosed up and she wasn't really an Ancient.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Horrifying reminder: Hell House is not a robot.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I want to point out that Palmer is explicitly only the head of the Space and Aeronautics Division, not general transit, meaning he literally does nothing at the moment. I think transport logistics might actually fall under Reeve.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Funky Valentine posted:

I feel like Reeve and Cait were two separate character concepts that got merged during development.

Going by everything we know about the early versions of the game they were always the same character

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
My tolerance for arguing about localizations is an all time low since the unicorn overlord poo poo started so
im incapa le of caring about this change

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
It's mentioned quite a bit in a novel that came out a couple of years ago

https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_VII_Remake_Trace_of_Two_Pasts

but no it's not old Compilation lore

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

ImpAtom posted:

I am genuinely surprised I don't see more people responding to Test 0.

here's your reaction: it was the funniest loving thing in the game to me so far. You even fight it in the well!

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Megasabin posted:

So should you just be spamming synergy moves all day in combat? Is there even a point in regular attacking?

regular attacks still fill ATB faster for one character and do more damage

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
christ almighty cait sith has a lot going on in his gameplay

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

No Mods No Masters posted:

I feel like I would rather play as aerith than cait sith. And that's a pretty dire statement for cait sith

There's not a single character in this game I don't like playing. Everyone scratches a different itch.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Mty hot tip for the double test-0 fight is play yuffie

when they say blindside can be used at any time they mean it can cancel out of grabs too

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
it's funny as hell that they gave (chapter 8 boss) palmer in a frog tank one of the best tracks in the game

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Mostly done with the fourth region and becoming further convinced that Cait Sith might be the second strongest character in the game. ATB gain is literally his only weakness.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Pollyanna posted:

Whaaaat the gently caress is going on with Alexander. drat thing is tanky as gently caress. Maybe I should try an all-lightning build?

Edit: yep, that was it!

Generally the rule with all the summons is find out what pressures them and then make sure they never get their ultimate off

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Solus posted:

What the gently caress is this yu gi oh rear end loving queens blood plotline

insanity

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Ytlaya posted:

It's easy to forget how Rude/Reno are literally directly responsible for detaching the plate. They feel bad about it, and they should! They are literally mass murderers! During one of the early/middle chapters Rufus even points out that no one directly opposed his dad's orders. And Reno/Rude were even in a position to easily "mistakenly" fail at their task, and it took great effort on their part to complete the mission.

Tbf reno did fail he had a chance to hit the switch and then stopped to turn around and fight the party . You can say that's just cutscene villain incompetence but taken with how he acts during the rest of the mission and afterwards it absolutely reads as a deliberate choice to me

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

ImpAtom posted:

They originally get asked to go up and help Yuffie assassinate him and that is why they originally intend to head up, they shift their plan later on. They did straight up forget Yuffie exists though!

No that's not what happens. I've been streaming my playthrough for a friend so I went back and checked the footage to be sure. They're completely non-committal about Yuffie's assassination plan and she tells them they've been ratted out and bails without another word. Roche pulls up, says he's there for Aerith, and challenges Cloud to a duel in the city. After he leaves Tifa says they should go before they cause the locals any trouble, and it's only up top that they come up with talking to Rufus.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I think the key to not getting burnt out on minigames is to not do any of the gym stuff beside the side quest, because I noped out of that poo poo and had no problem acing everything in the Gold Saucer first try (well okay the Queens Blood matches took some attempts)

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

triple sulk posted:

I wonder if I should just watch the other GS dates on YouTube rather than try to get the reps up although I'm sure it's probably a trophy.

Hoping to finish this up tonight depending on how much is left.

Chapter Select when you beat the game lets you just redo the date with whoever

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

RatHat posted:

I hate these goddamn sand worms

The sandworm secret is the second swallow starts up change characters and the ai will immediately dodge it for you no problem

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
cosmo canyon protorelic quest #1 they sure went out of their way to crush any remaining ambiguity about Wedge's survival as hard as they possibly could huh

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Rebirth in general makes the flow of the story a lot more coherent than in the original game which was largely just kind of wandering to the next place that was available

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
It'd be pretty boring if every open world area was a wide open plain