Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Ground floor for GOTY 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

If Palmer doesn't get hit by the truck, the game will be an immense failure

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

THIS IS GONNA BE THE GREATEST GAME OF ALL TIME

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Oh my loving god this is incredible

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

This game is MASSIVE god drat

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Holy gently caress these mini games

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Cannot wait to date Barret

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Jackie D posted:

Where's this danged demo

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Azubah posted:

This was the best part of the state of play.

Spoiler for team attack:

I lost my poo poo at this and it solidified GOAT status

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I can't believe how lovely and primitive this game makes Remake look by comparison

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Everyone dies, this is why it's called Rebirth

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Arist posted:

I'd say ~90 minutes?

Yeah, 1:30-1:45ish

Game gonna kick rear end

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Demo spoilers you can see and hear actual grunt Cloud at the same time when crawling at the burning building.

It's also funny how blatantly non-Cloud he sounds like during the flashback. I can't imagine having played this without the OG.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Levantine posted:

I thought that was really clever, knowing what's (probably) coming. I genuinely hope the story goes a little more than off the rails at some point given the setup in the last game. I want it to lean hard into its weird.

When is the Junon part of the demo coming btw? It was locked when I tried last night.

The 21st

I think the legitimately valid piece of criticism so far that I'm seeing and partly thought in the moment myself is the crawling scene drug out too long *only* because of how long the villagers stood right in front of Sephiroth, guns in hands, without a single shot fired off. I understand being paralyzed with fear but it was a little too slow.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

cock hero flux posted:

i'm assuming that cloud kills aeristh like he almost does in the original like 5 seconds before sephiroth shows up

Massive spoiler from the trailer

There's what looks to be an attempt by Cloud at intercepting Sephiroth, but if you go frame-by-frame, a few things stand out: the whispers are still there; there's some green, magical light around the hilt of the Buster Sword, and he also looks like he'd be a fraction of a second too late. Now whether or not Sephiroth is actually trying to skewer Aerith at that exact moment in time, who knows.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

It defaults to graphics mode so make sure you go into the settings to change it. It runs flawlessly in performance mode.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I think much like Remake 1, Remake 2 will probably also have some weird graphical (or I guess performance if you are in graphics mode) inconsistencies that will be sorta strange or disappointing. They had Integrade to practice with the PS5 but that was a much smaller game so would not be surprised if not everything is as ironed out as they wanted.

But also I was completely unable to notice any of the graphics problems in Remake 1 so like in that game it'll probably be fine all in all

It's ok, in 6-7 years we'll be able to buy the full trilogy for the PS6 remastered with UE5 and merged into one game with new content throughout, and we'll happily spend $100 on it.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Solus posted:

Is Crisis Core Reunion worth picking up?

Yeah, it's an easy play and the revamped combat system makes for a much better experience in spite of all the Genesis crap.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

FWIW the Traces of Telephone novel is a decent read if you haven't already.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Performance mode is getting graphical improvements that will be in the update on the 21st (and the full game, obviously).

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

stev posted:

Is this the first time all the 'don't worry, this is just a demo, the full game will look better' comments could turn out to be true?

The only thing that really bugged me is how lovely some of the NPCs look. That and Aerith always looking weird in very specific lighting.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I didn't play the demo but the lighting on Cloud struck me as really weird in that first trailer with Cloud and Sephiroth doing a move together

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm talking about. It happens to Cloud too sometimes. Aerith is just the worst for it.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Asterite34 posted:

KotR just summons 13 giant armored guys who all run around like a bunch of little kids playing soccer and dogpile the enemy in a big blob that fills the screen

It's gonna kick rear end

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I'm still gonna guess Redemption

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

If not Redemption, then Retribution

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Oatmideel Raisin

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

It's very possible that (making poo poo up here) the game "ends" with Aerith dying or whatever and then there's like a few hours of Zackworld. Technically speaking the progress of the normal FF7 game as we know it will still have stopped there.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Game is updated but I'll load it up in a bit.

The review embargo is up in just over 24 hours and then it's time to start being extremely cautious about spoilers cause I'm sure one of the idiot reviewers will say way too much.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

oh no

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Took a couple comparison screenshots. The difference is extremely obvious when you compare them side by side as there's some kind of blurring/smearing going on in performance mode.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Fabulous Knight posted:

Okay, so I didn't play the first demo, but I have both of them downloaded now. I presume I have to play the earlier demo first and then the one that came out today will show up in the main menu?

No, they're both there

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

All we've seen so far in the demos are mountains and/or wastelands so the brown and gray everywhere isn't helping. I might actually try and tolerate the graphics mode just because the smearing on performance mode is kinda bad.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

The synergy skills seem to really go against the nature of the easy mode regardless of whether you need those skills at all in order to to be effective, since you'd have to be blocking to see them. Other than that, there feels like a lot of poo poo going on but it's also because it's all thrown at you at once.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

There's definitely a lot of anger about performance mode after the changes which is honestly quite justified; the blurring looks like poo poo and a fair amount of detail is lost. The more screenshot comparisons you see, the worse it is. Based on what I'm reading, it's a TAA implementation issue.

I'm gonna end up just playing it in graphics mode unless something major somehow changes in the next week, which it likely won't.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Reviews are coming out

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Current Metacritic score is a 93

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I must be in a really weird minority because I didn't think FF16's perf mode was that bad and it's what I used throughout. Rebirth's is way worse to me.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Bland posted:

No, you're right, it was nowhere near as blurry as Rebirth.

Yeah, I'm not exactly sure what people think is so horrific about it beyond maybe a lack of slider options (based on what I read).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Can't wait to launch Tifa into enemies for 100+ hours (I mean this unironically)