Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

is it just me being rusty or did they ramp up the difficulty a lot compared to the first game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Ytlaya posted:

I thought the difficulty seemed okay. I had trouble but I never lost, which seems ideal.

I had the most trouble with the timed parts of a couple of the challenge fights, since I prefer to play less aggressively. It's hard for me to keep track of everything and mentally balance command selection with the direct action combat.

Edit: it seems like you get punished hard for just wailing on enemies in melee, while playing that way was more viable in normal mode for Remake. I felt like I had to do all the monster challenges like they were boss fights (constantly pausing and swapping characters). I also would have lost against the story boss if I didn't have Magnify Cura on Barrett.

doing the R1 duo attacks builds up ATB for both participants which helps a lot for clearing the timed challenges

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

if the game didn't have an excessive amount of minigames it wouldn't be FF7

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

grieving for Gandalf posted:

i kind of hand waved away Remake's climax as S-E feeling they had to have a big JRPG abyss/void for the finale. I'll lol when I get to the end of this one and there's another, and again at the end of the third game when there's another

I mean the third game is the one where it’s just expected that there will be a big RPG void battle at the end, isn’t it?
Im still wondering how they plan to give Safer Sephiroth the impact he used to when they already wheeled out One-Winged Angel

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

during the scene at the entrance of junon in the demo a tree behind Barrett was violently oscillating between low-detail and high-detail models which isn’t exactly game breaking but I did find it pretty funny

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I hope when we get to Part 3 they still have the Emerald Weapon be this utter menace haunting the bottom of the ocean that you can just run into. I want it to feel like seeing a leviathan in subnautica

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

pre-order canceled

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Square just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an rear end in a top hat. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

welcome posted:

For me it's 20% "these bastards would have patched out 'miserable pile of secrets' if they had a chance", 80% "weird rear end time to patch it cause loving nobody's going to see it". I don't even remember the drat line we're talking about.

arguing about a line I don’t even remember or care about ftmfw

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

anyway I can’t wait to see red xiii wearing a sailor suit this weekend

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Spermando posted:

and also translating Cloud's "I shall be your opponent" to "bring it on, bitch".

Jesus christ

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

i love when genesis just pops up in Nibelheim out of nowhere, says a bunch of nonsense that has no effect on Sephiroth's backstory whatsoever, and then fucks off immediately and it goes back to being a normal retelling of the Nibelheim incident.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I kinda assumed that being older and better at understanding stories than I was as a teen I'd be able to see something there that I didn't before but nope the Genesis plotline really is just totally incoherent.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

ImpAtom posted:

Genesis' plot really is not that confusing. It's melodramatic as hell but it's not very confusing.

Dude was a shittier attempt at making Sephiroth, freaked the gently caress out over it, and desperately tried to find a cure because he didn't want to turn into dust, and because he was a crazy desperate dude he started reading too much into a play.

it’s easy to understand that part, the incoherent part is the actual trajectory that the plot follows, which is “Genesis flies around to random places doing nothing really worth noting until his hometown is suddenly a gateway to the livestream and then he says some incomprehensible jibberish that Zack apparently sees as a huge revelation and then he turns into a Gundam”

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

what about angeal

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I accidentally overwrote my Nibelheim demo save with my Junon demo save, will i still get my kupo charm?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

not watching a 5 minute car commercial but lol

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

can’t wait to get home and play FFVII!!!!!!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

game loving rules
love the goofy-rear end card game opponents. love Tifa and Aerith being besties. love Red XIII. love the music

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

ImpAtom posted:

Dynamic and Hard at this point, yes.

Is hard mode basically the same deal as it was in Remake?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The chapter 2 boss music goes hard
I should probably be prioritizing the story but I ended up doing almost everything in the Kalm area before moving on. Dammit Chadley stop distracting me :argh:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

synergy moves are such a game changer for the combat once you get used to them. lots of really fun party combinations to play around with that have their own unique strengths.
but man they really should've come up with better terminology than "synergy skills" for the R1 moves and "synergy abilities" for the team limit breaks. it's so easy to get the two confused. why not go with "synergy limits" or something?

ImpAtom posted:

Yep. No items, limited MP.

However it's far less painful in this because You can replenish MP at for-pay ins or cushion rest spots (i.e: any Chocobo Stop), you now get natural MP regen, you get more natural healing options, everyone gets no-MP-cost basic spells, and in general the only thing it really does is make the game harder + no item use.

sweet. what carries over in terms of open world activities and do they still lock manuscripts behind redoing sidequests?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

ImpAtom posted:

Everything you've done carries over, but you do have the ability to set sidequests to a done/undone state when selecting a chapter. Any sidequest that has a noteworthy boss fight at the end does require you to redo it to get a manuscript, as well as the 'final' Classified Intel monster hunt for each segment which gets you a manuscript and a special craft material you can only get on hard. (Basically anything that qualifies as a boss fight gets you a manuscript in hard mode.)

Alright that's good to know. With how much content this game has I was a bit worried I'd end up having a stupid amount of things to redo on Hard but that seems like a reasonable balance.

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

The extra level of graphical detail basically obscures what the actual viable paths are at least in kalm. Maybe I'll take to it or possibly even simply ignore it mostly instead of doing a lot of my pathing by looking at it. At the moment it feels jarring rather than helpful but I'm very early in so far. Plenty of time to change my mind on it.

yeah I pretty much agree but it only applies for towns. dungeons still use a simplified map that only shows things that are relevant to navigation and the open world switches to a Skyrim-style compass. you can configure it to also use the minimap in the open world but don't do that it's even more worthless than in towns because the zoom is way too close for the size of the world.
it seems like they took overhead screenshots of the world for the outdoors maps which means that roofs block everything below them and also lighting can obscure things on the map.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Just got through Junon
lmao at having the entire battalion following Cloud around
Roche ftmfw
Midgar Division 7 are the most loyal motherfuckers on the planet goddamn they just roll with the punches, anything for their captain
"the biker jackass...is a jackass" lol
RIP Red XIII's soldier disguise :(

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I am enjoying even more than in Remake how the game manages to work in the stuff from the original that seemed too goofy or "classic video game" to work in a modern one but they somehow make it feel right, also the subversion of some of that stuff as well

The Junon sequence is so much fun. They just totally lean into how ridiculous the whole scenario is and how dumb and oblivious it requires the Shinra troops to be. From the goofy-rear end march they do when Cloud sends calls them back to duty, to the serious commander running up to get her award and jumping up and down and waving like a little kid, to the 7th Division's blind acceptance of everything their "captain" does, it's all great.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

NikkolasKing posted:

I asked this of a poster in the Persona thread about P3 Reload and, well, this is another JRPG remake so why no ask it here, too.

Do you feel the remake has replaced the original insofar as you have no interest in replaying original FFVII now the Remake(s) exist? You would sooner replay the Remake than FFVII, basically.

The comparison between P3R and FFVIIR might not fit too well, though, because I assume P3R plays more or less like original P3, while FFVIIR is a whole different beast from original VII.

Nope. It will never replace the original and it's not trying to replace the original.
I would probably *sooner* play the Remakes because I love the combat system and it's just easier to go back and replay chapters on hard mode than to start a whole new playthrough of FF7 original, but they're a completely different experience from the PS1 game.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Had to take a moment to stop on the cruise ship and just...bask in the music.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

if you ignore Roche you are a morally bad person and you will be judged for your crimes

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Rhonne posted:

End of Junon spoiler: There's something really funny about seeing these black robes waiting in line to get on a cruise ship with normal people. How are they getting by security!? How did they pass the background checks?

Rufus said at the parade that he wants Sephiroth dead and the black robes will lead them to Sephiroth. By that logic it’d be counter-productive to get in their way so he probably passed down orders to let them through.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

How long will the Knights of the Round summon cutscene be?

that reminds me, summons are unlocked in the remake by beating them in boss battles. Are we gonna have to fight KotR? :stare:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Taima posted:

The physics in this game are so funny sometimes the way things just start breaking and flying everywhere if you're running when you enter like... someone's front porch or whatever. Just instantly broken pots and chairs everywhere, utter homewrecking on display lol

Cloud just loving wrecking up the boardwalk on his Segway

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

grieving for Gandalf posted:

experimenting with synergy skills while running around the Junon area and I'm surprised with the sheer amount of damage some do. the charged attacks combinations of Cloud, Tifa, and Aerith can do are capable of ridiculous damage, even compared to things you use ATB gauges on

Aerith’s charge attack synergy skills is a game changer, it almost completely fills both characters’ ATB bars

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Mt Corel:
Something cute I noticed is that Yuffie's chalk drawings show a mini story arc of Yuffie and Barrett bickering with each other, Tifa stepping in and lecturing Barrett, Barrett sulking, and then the three of them making up and climbing the mountain together.
lol @ Aerith getting delirious from the adrenaline high of mountain climbing
also lol @ "shitbirds". I'm glad they made Elena into a jackass like the rest of the turks instead of being the boring level-headed girl.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I have beaten 8 opponents and I am still waiting for there to be a strategy that's better than "take as many tiles as possible" lol, any time I try to do something with cards that do other things besides that it hasn't worked lol

I've found the pre-built Midgardsomr deck works pretty well with a few adjustments

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

CapnAndy posted:

Yeah, but why a tower specifically? It is always a tower.

they are the first things you will notice in a large open area

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I think the main thing with the open world stuff in this game is that it’s relatively restrained. there’s never an overwhelming amount of icons to chase to the point it becomes tedious, the regions feel big but you can cross them via chocobo relatively quickly, and there are clear, meaningful rewards for everything you do.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

CapnAndy posted:

Oh poo poo, Fort Condor is in this game too? I had a blast playing FF7 DotA with Yuffie in intermission.

Also, I say this with love, but did anyone on the dev team have even a single idea that Square said "no, we're not putting that into the game" to?

I can say with full confidence: no

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Mt. Corel Reactor
The Huge Materia being the cores of Weapons instead of just laying around in random places is a really cool change.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

HD DAD posted:

Yep. I think it’s really fun how these games are taking the opportunity to firm up the internal logic and tidy up some story beats that felt kinda sloppy even in the OG.

I also think the Weapon in the Corel reactor might be a brand new one? It doesn't really resemble Sapphire or Emerald, looks more like Bismarck than anything.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the “big charged hit” synergy moves do very respectable damage and fill up a huge chunk of ATB for both characters involved. They’re especially good for Aerith

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

btw the game doesn’t tell you this but if you double-tap and hold R2 the chocobo will take off at a much higher speed than a normal dash.
same applies to Red XIII in that Costa del Sol minigame