Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
One specific thing I want to see is weird enemies like the Hell House turned into a full boss.

Fingers crossed one is this guy.
https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Ghirofelgo
Or maybe this thing.
https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Heavy_Tank

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Here's some cross-over content from the Simpsons Memes Thread in GBS. If you are my age and the same type of nerd you'll appreaciate them.

ultrafilter posted:

Missed one:

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Kinda wish I didn't watch that. Feel like it might have spoiled some cool moments.

Still pumped as gently caress though.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
When does the demo show up in the psn store?

nine-gear crow posted:

That's the thing, if they're showing all that, what insane poo poo are they still holding back?

:hmmyes:

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Man, the end of Chapter 12 is kicking my rear end. As a side note, I've looked for how to videos on youtube and a shocking number of them are just videos of somebody beating the boss. Without tips or narration ITS NOT A HOW TO VIDEO ITS JUST YOUR GAMEPLAY FOOTAGE. I know its people milking the algorithm, but its loving annoying. Other videos are people who are incredibly good at the game talking about their brilliant, difficult to execute strategy. I want basic tips, damnit. Not your galaxy brain pro poo poo. I don't need to beat them in 30 seconds, I just want to know when to use what ability.

Also about your return trip to the Shinra Mansion, I would much rather explore the upstairs from the original game than do that Cait Sith solo stuff, even if it was 1/3rd of the play time. That new area was so much less compelling than the creepy rear end mansion.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
My problem is that I can't figure out the pattern for when he reloads. It seems like he always does it after Guns Akimbo, but other than that I dunno when to strike, and by the time I know for sure it's too late. He also does it after he hits you, but he is finished by the time you recover.

deoju fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Mar 18, 2024

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Fedule posted:

Hopefully this will help some people who are struggling with this and for whom advice, such as it is, from gaming gods is unhelpful.

Thanks. Looking forward to trying this when I get a chance to play next. :)

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

ImpAtom posted:

I do miss Barret's melee weapons even if objectively they sucked and I never used them, and even when they gave me their move in Rebirth I still barely used them.

I want Rocket Punch and Atomic Scissors in part 3 for the lols drat it.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Finally beat that Chapter 12 Gold Saucer fight that was giving me so much trouble.

There's an opening to attack in the Rufus/Darkstar part after they use the blizzard shooting attack. He'll always reload.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I preferred the weapon upgrade system from Remake, except for how it was presented visually. The little galaxies were dumb. A simple checklist would have been better.

Also I discovered that you still get the effect of linked Elemental and Fire/Ice/Wind/Lightning Materia in your weapon even if you are in frog mode. Probably for your armor too.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Yeah it is awful with motion controls, and just bad without them.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Multiple ways to sort the enemy intel section would be really nice. Even just listing them alphabetically would be an improvement over whatever loving order they are in.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

CPFortest posted:

The piano game is a case of patience and practice being your best friends. Except for "Two Legs, nothing to it'. gently caress that track.

I'm musically deficient. Like real bad at trying to play anything myself. Any sort of rhythm game or something like guitar hero is too much for me. I've pretty much written off the piano challenges. It's a real bummer. :(

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

mistermojo posted:

the game is really losing me with this Gi tribe stuff. lets get back to Cloud awkwardly staring at Tifa please
That section dragged a bit for me too. Cutting 10-15% would be an improvement imo.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Oxxidation posted:

chocobo armlet triples AP gain

Would it give 6x to one materia if the other was AP Plus? Cuz that'd be rad.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Does easy mode change the difficulty for mini games? I'd love a more forgiving timing window for the piano.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

The only fun combat challenges I’ve done were in the Musclehead Colosseum. Frogs only? Hilarious.

I tried equipping the frog ring to see if I'd switch back like in the original game, didn't work.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Cait Sith's likability is the greatest departure from the original.

deoju fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Mar 28, 2024

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Beat the game after 123 hours, doing every side quest I could find. Tons of fun. The last fight was rough, because I didn't give good materia to Aerith because I didn't expect to use her. lol.

Still need to beat Gilgamesh, do some Battle Square stuff, and do those bullshit chocobo flying challenges in Cosmo Canyon before I'll be fully satisfied.

Not sure about hard mode yet.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I'm really hoping the alternate skins you unlock in the post game include Red XIII's Shinra Trooper

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
After beating the game and going back to chapter select do you get double xp and triple AP like in Remake?

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

deoju posted:

After beating the game and going back to chapter select do you get double xp and triple AP like in Remake?

Answering my own question incase anyone else is wondering: Yes.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
There'll be 9 characters in the next game. Hopefully they have a section of 3 parties of 3 like 2 of 3 in the Temple of the Ancients.

Also Cid and Vincent should get sections focused on them.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Using Counter Stance often was what made the difference for me. It doesn't work against some moves, but knowing when to use it kept my HP up and I spent less time and ATB healing.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

bewilderment posted:

2. He'll take that opportunity to Reload, giving you less opportunity to actually learn which moves or sequences of moves cause him to 'naturally' reload (Guns Akimbo will always do it)

Similarly in phase 2 he'll always reload after the ice attack, I forget what it is called.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
This is a dumb thing to throw out at this point with the next game years away, but after unlocking the costume change option I hope the next game has cold weather outfits for the cast. Tifa in a skirt, Barrett, Yuffie and Cloud with no sleeves... They'd be too cold. It ruined my immersion as a kid and it'd be worse now.

Nanaki could even have a little scarf. :3:

Edit: As someone from a colder clime this is really just a pet peeve of mine. Nobody wore a hat in Game of Thrones north of the Wall!

deoju fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Mar 31, 2024

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Wamsutta posted:

wtf is the rufus fight?
In phase 2 he will always reload after the ice attack.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Wamsutta posted:

E: found the last bit, I must have missed it in the room with the encounter.
Those things should have been bigger and harder to miss. Back tracking through a whole area isn't fun.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
NPCs call Cloud "merc." Is that a mistranslation? Or maybe a word that doesn't have a direct translation from Japanese? In English when I hear "mercenary," I think "I am a remorseless killing machine who only cares about money." But if it is something closer to "Jack-of-all-trades with a blade, Mr.-Fix-It and I'll hit poo poo," that's fits him much better.

deoju fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Apr 10, 2024

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

SyntheticPolygon posted:

What would you call him?
:confused:If I knew of a better English word for him I would have said "he really should be called X."

When I hear "merc," I think some blackwater gently caress in a balaclava ready to mow down a bus full of kids for a nickel.

Martial culture blurs across language lines. 'Ronin' is a Japanese word for samurai without a master." So like a dude who plays by a moral code, but follows his own goals. That seems way closer to Cloud than" kill people, take dollars."

I hope I'm not I'm not treading to close to weeaboo territory here. Really I'd just like to know what he is called in Japanese and the nuances of the term.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Blockhouse posted:

Though you are correct that the Japanese version uses a word that doesn't translate very well. "何でも屋" which means literally "do everything man".
Cool. Thanks. That's what I was after.

"do everything man" fits Cloud perfectly

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Roche has this grating, brash personality, but it is stolen from him by the degradation. He's a tool, but he doesn't deserve that, nobody does. :smith:

Its good writing is really what I am saying.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

DeathChicken posted:

It's just like Remake, you're locked but once you finish you get a chapter select thingy
FWIW, you seemed locked to the characters in the party for each chapter during your first playthrough. I finished the game and went back to Chapter 13 and I can't play with Cait.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

big mean giraffe posted:

They also use the word embiggen to describe one of Aerith and cait siths synergy moves it rules

I've never had a problem with the after battle menu because the top option is the only one you ever need it's pretty easy

That embiggens my heart.

I lost a half hour of exploration once because I picked "return to check point." I was able to load a more recent save though.

I also wish the descriptions of some of the materia were better. There were a few I didn't even try because the description was too vague and I didn't want to spend the time experimenting.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
There's also a bit where Hojo says something like "you're off to the reunion, I see." Then cloud is confused, and Hojo says "not consciously, I see." I can't remember where or when though. Game long.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I gotta wonder what Vincent's limits will be like. Making them work too much like summons would be boring, but making them one shot attacks like everybody else wouldn't be true to the original.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

WaltherFeng posted:

When I was a kid my favorite attack in OG was Cid lighting a dynamite with cigarette.

I hope it comes back in some fashion.
That attack was rad, but he didn't smoke at all in Rebirth. Would showing smoking change the ESRB rating? If so, there's no way they'd do it.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Rhonne posted:

The thing I'm most looking forward to for Vincent in the next game is seeing Death Gigas and Hellmasker in HD
He has four limits in the OG, I gotta wonder if we'll get to play as all of them. We already saw Gallian Beast. There's Death Gigas, Hellmasker and Chaos. If I had to cut one, it would be Chaos even though he's Level 4. Visually it's just a boring gargoyle.

cubicle gangster posted:

I think what you're picking up on is how unnatural it sounds for a Scottish person to be that upbeat, does sound very wrong.
:lol:

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I wish there was a materia kinda like Added Effect in OG for offense. Warding materia is the equivalent for defense. Something where you link it to poison/time/etc and get an ability that inflicts damage and causes the status effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I agree, that would be really helpful. Maybe too strong for something like Sleep?

Yeah, it could get overpowered pretty quickly. Maybe something where you only get a certain percent of the status effects normal duration. 30% at level 1, 40% at level 2, 50% at level 3, etc. But even at max level it won't last as long as just casting the spell.