Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Azubah posted:

This was the best part of the state of play.

Spoiler for team attack:

Surely Aerith isn’t going to leave your party for a large chunk of the game, considering all the emphasis on the team and synergy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Arist posted:

The only bonus for preordering is an accessory, I believe

The PlayStation store lists a summon materia called Moogle Trio as a preorder bonus for the digital deluxe edition. I think you also get a bangle of some kind?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Yo it’s kind of brilliant that when Cloud talks to the motion-sick grunt in the truck he literally has the same VA as Cloud lol very subtle guys!

Edit: and also later during the fire. That one is less subtle.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Solus posted:

Is Crisis Core Reunion worth picking up?

It’s good, just keep reminding yourself that it was a PSP game that came out in 2007 or whatever and you will have the proper expectations. There are a lot of little side missions that made sense on a handheld meant to be played in short bursts. The story parts are good but short. There are lots of goofy mini-games because that’s just how games used to be lol

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

akadajet posted:

I enjoyed it. The voice work is robot mode compared to the new stuff.

The original game only had a little bit of voice acting. They made the remaster fully voice acted with the current voice actors. It is the new stuff lol

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

stev posted:

I didn't notice any of this

They did a good job making it seamless. The biggest indicator is you can see Cloud’s hands and he is wearing the gloves of a grunt all of a sudden.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Caidin posted:

I keep forgetting about CC Reunion. Did they really jazz it up that much? I could probably fit it in between now and the end of the month I guess but I don't remember the gameplay being all that wild.

Quoting myself from the end of the previous page:

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

It’s good, just keep reminding yourself that it was a PSP game that came out in 2007 or whatever and you will have the proper expectations. There are a lot of little side missions that made sense on a handheld meant to be played in short bursts. The story parts are good but short. There are lots of goofy mini-games because that’s just how games used to be lol

Forgot to mention that material fusion is a great system and adds a lot to the game.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, she also spent weeks-to-months in a coma after Sephiroth sliced her clean open, so maybe her memory's also fuzzy as to what exactly happened over the 48-ish hours Sephiroth was in Nibelheim, so there's just enough room for her to start going "Wait, am I the crazy one here?"

They were there for like nine days, there’s an entire week between when they go to the reactor and when Cloud goes into the basement of the manor to find Sephiroth. Which probably makes Tifa even more confused because Cloud had to hide his identity from Tifa that whole time lol

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

DalaranJ posted:

Sephiroth: "Your combat skills are pretty good, but let's see how you vacuum."

Supercloud 64

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Dreylad posted:

The PS5 exclusivity is only until May 29, so hopefully sooner.

Actually I just remembered one thing I wont like about rebirth. Can't play as Cid. fuckin bullshit

They had to save playable characters for the third part!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

https://x.com/finalfantasyvii/status/1756679754747687329?s=46&t=ZmcWuigp8va-srUE4rOQ8Q

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Blockhouse posted:

From what they've shown I don't think there's going to be chocobo breeding. It looks like the chocobos are just unlockable open world traversal enhancers.

I believe they said straight up that there would not be breeding. Just catching wild chocobos to ride and also the racing in the Gold Saucer.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

SettingSun posted:

Breeding opened pretty late in the original. Maybe in part 3.

You could breed starting pretty early on, you just couldn’t catch the right kinds of chocobos to make the special colors until later in the game. I think you need a Black Chocobo and an Excellent regular one to make a Gold one but you can’t get the Excellent ones until you get to Mideel.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Caidin posted:

I would have liked it if the exhibits actually talked about the rise of the company some. No go on, tell me about how a small weapons developer founded from a twerp from FFX had a guy figure out Mako Reactors and become the world super power.
Sounds kinda neat.

That was just a silly reference. They don’t actually take place in the same world!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

https://x.com/finalfantasyvii/status/1757404518160163064?s=46&t=ZmcWuigp8va-srUE4rOQ8Q

The Cloud one though :popeye:

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

triple sulk posted:

Performance mode is getting graphical improvements that will be in the update on the 21st (and the full game, obviously).

Is that when they’re adding Junon to the demo?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Caidin posted:

Well, we had the Whisper Harbinger as sort of a test bed I guess but I'm not sure anyone would find that compelling.

Seems like it would make the most sense, unfortunately. Hopefully they can come up with something better!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

FFVII Repeater… Repeater… one, two, three, Repeater

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

nine-gear crow posted:

The original game does it 3 times, Cloud's version in Kalm, the Zack reveal at the Northern Crater, and the True Version at Mideel/in the Lifestream. Both the second and third versions take place beyond where Rebirth as stated to end, but given how Zack's alive in a timeline somewhere, that shoe might drop faster this time around. We'll see in a couple of weeks.

I know that they said the game is going to end at the Forgotten City or whatever but it would be really weird to end there and then start game 3 at the mountain/Northern Crater. Idk why but that seems like a weird idea to me. Then again I suppose that is the beginning of disc 2 in the original. Disc 1 got 2 games plus Intergrade and Disc 2 is only getting one (so far)

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

rkd_ posted:

Huh, interesting, I didn’t know it was public to that level. I don’t know though, Darth Vader has shown up regularly in various media throughout the years, as a character or a reference. Aerith I’ve only ever seen in context of the game that released in 1997.

The game released only a year after I was born, and I never heard any of my friends discuss it (and definitely not in the same way people would talk about the Darth Vader reveal). FFVII Remake was the first time I played the game.

There are people under 30 on this forum?!

All kidding aside, we are very far removed from that era in gaming so I am not surprised that people don’t know about Aerith’s fate in the original game. But I think it’s important to know in the context of Rebirth, so I feel like it’d be weird to treat it like more recent spoilers after all this time.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

mycot posted:

It was such a famous spoiler that Aerith was kinda video gaming's Gwen Stacy where the character became mostly famous for dying. Though it's a funny coincidence that we concurrently have an alive Gwen and Aerith as actual characters in the popular consciousness.

I remember reading a review of Amazing Spider Man 2 that mentioned there was a huge twist that you shouldn’t have spoiled because of how shocking it was. I immediately knew what it was and chuckled because it happened in the comics decades earlier. What’s old is new again!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

DanielCross posted:

There's the moment where she's literally panting while watching Cloud get dolled up at the Honey Bee Inn

See: the previous thread’s title

The game is definitely horny and it’s really funny. The only way it could have been better would be sticking Cloud in a hot tub full of muscly, naked men.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

queeb posted:

Ok just made it to Costa del Sol, not sure im gonna make it by the release!!

You’re probably like 25% done with the game! Just quit your job and play 24/7!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

They added some content to the FFVIIR crossover event in Ever Crisis and it now contains a bunch of cutscenes from Rebirth that haven’t been shown yet which was a weird choice. Most notably a scene with the Midgar Zolom and in the Mythril Mine with Elena and Rude. I don’t have the sound on so I’m not sure if they had voice acting but I’m just confused as to why they would include content that isn’t even in the demo.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

ZeeBoi posted:

Think I’ll not play this open world section, I’d rather do it in the full game rather than have to go through any of it again.

But yeah the performance mode still looks bad even with this update that supposedly fixed it.

This section is different from the main game, apparently, so there will be some overlap but we don’t know how much. Also I think finishing the demo gives you something in the main game?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

ZeeBoi posted:

“Different” meaning they blocked off areas and (probably) changed enemy/item placement.

And the carryover rewards for finishing the demo are trivial to me. I’m already getting materia due to having saves from remake and intergrade.

It’s definitely a blocked off section of the map and there are some little enemy encounter missions around, I couldn’t tell you if they were made for the demo.

Is it possible to change characters mid-battle? I probably should read the tutorials to learn about the changes. Seems silly to try to fight flying enemies without Barrett.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Yaoi Gagarin posted:

Is this going to be on PS4?

PS5 exclusive

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Harrow posted:

lol got absolutely rocked by the Junon demo boss. I have clearly completely forgotten how to play this battle system

I walked into one of the mission battles and got wrecked. I’ve been playing Tales of Arise and their controls are very different!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Ytlaya posted:

How do people normally decide when to change characters in this/Remake? I just kind of do it arbitrarily, but I imagine there must be some good "tactical" way to deal with that. Is it maybe a good idea to switch if your character is getting a lot of heat? Is the AI good enough at dodging/guarding for this to make sense?

Are you talking about mid-battle? Computer-controlled characters tend to build ATB very slowly so you should be switching fairly often if you want different characters to be able to use their abilities. The AI is pretty good at dodging/blocking.

Edit: I was thinking about it and you never actually got to choose your party in Remake, the game always chose which ones were available for plot reasons (Barrett is temporarily dead!) or whatever.

Is there a way to swap a party member for one in reserve mid-battle?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Augus posted:

is it just me being rusty or did they ramp up the difficulty a lot compared to the first game

The special enemies are pretty ridiculously hard, yeah. It’s irritating.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

RatHat posted:

I think you're a bit underleveled for this area too

The game says recommended level 21 but then the enemies slap you for 1/4 your max hp lol

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

redreader posted:

I don't know if this has been covered already, but why isn't Tifa going "no, that didn't happen!"?

She’s being polite and doesn’t want to break his brain but also doesn’t understand how Cloud could know what happened. I think she’s also trying to work that out in her mind.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I always thought she was disturbed because to her, it looks like Cloud is bare-faced lying about all of it, and inserting himself in Zack's position. It must have been a real WTF moment for Tifa. Why would Cloud do that? Obviously we don't find out until much later.

She doesn’t even know Cloud was there, but somehow he knows the details of what went down. It’s loving with her head.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Feb 22, 2024

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The Polygon review said it was full of bloat and there were too many mini games. Also they seemed to think that you had to do most if not all of the side content to stay at a high enough level and have the right equipment to tackle the main story. That doesn’t sound right, sounds more like a skill issue. If that were true, wouldn’t every reviewer have been saying it?

They said they were torn between loving and hating it. I could understand feeling that way when it’s literally your job to play through the game quickly and write about it, instead of being able to take it at your own pace.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

SettingSun posted:

Isn't Ever Crisis just a reimagining of bits of CC and the OGFF7 or is there more to it than I realize?

It has an original prequel story called The First Soldier although I couldn’t tell you if it’s related to the previous, failed mobile game.

The stories of FFVII and Crisis Core are the same. They flesh out what happened between the two a little bit more in some extra content, like how Barrett got to Midgar with Marlene or what Tifa was doing after she recovered (selling a shitload of dumplings)

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

ImpAtom posted:

I mean there is a lot of bloat and a ton of loving minigames, but it depends on if that's a feature or a bug for you. I'd compare it closest to Yakuza in that regards in that the game is clearly anticipating you doing stuff besides beelining the main story.

It has its own individual plot involving some early SOLDIERs and babby Sephiroth.

So they reference that story in it? Interesting choice… by which I mean you’re right it’s some Kingdom Hearts poo poo lol Matt and Lucia are cool, Glenn can gently caress off though.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

ImpAtom posted:

I should note that there is actually one major cut to the game. It's one that makes sense but it is probably the most obviously absent thing that I'm sure will appear in the next game. I don't really consider "this isn't in the game" a spoiler but just in case:

There is no Rocket Town. The Palmer boss fight still happens, just Rocket Town doesn't appear.

That’s weird but I guess it makes sense as something to save for game 3, otherwise they would run out of new places for you to go. Now I’m interested to see how they tackle that whole section.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I managed to limp through the boss battle in the demo (I didn’t realize it would trigger when it did but I guess in retrospect I should have) and the biggest problem with the battle system was me. I’m used to playing Tales of Arise which is heavy on dodging so I kept trying to dodge instead of blocking. Gotta get used to perfect-blocking everything. I also had a very difficult time recognizing when an attack name would pop up to signal the close-range attacks, because I’m RG colorblind and the text didn’t contrast enough so I didn’t see them until too late. I hope there is some kind of accessibility option for that text! I didn’t check and I’m not going to go back to the demo, seems pointless to spend more time on it.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Arist posted:

If I published a novel, and then announced a sequel, and then put out a revised edition of the original one week before the sequel came out that changes some crucial phrasing relevant to the sequel, I think that would be confusing

This guy would’ve complained about the changes Tolkien made to the original version of The Hobbit to bring it more in line with LOTR.

Edit: I played through FFVII Remake on hard a year or two ago and I don’t even remember the exact wording of the final line. I’m assuming a large number of people will be in the same boat as me and just accept the new version of the line without noticing it was different.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Feb 27, 2024

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Rabid Snake posted:

I never got this option I had to play through the whole drat thing. was it because i had a Juno save demo overwrite?

It would make sense that you needed a completed save file from the Nibelheim portion of the demo to skip portions of the flashback, otherwise how would the game know you already beat it?

You get the bonus items with any save data, though.

Edit: when you go to Bonuses on the Title Screen, it literally says you need a cleared demo save file from the Nibelheim section. Then when you hit accept bonuses it gives you a message saying you can skip part of the flashback.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Feb 29, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I sat down at Tifa’s piano in the full game but it didn’t prompt me to play a song. Was that just for the demo?

Edit: yes it was demo only, it’s elsewhere in the full game.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Feb 29, 2024