Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Looks perfect. No notes. Except, why can't I download the god drat demo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It feels like a shame to have to play this on PS5 to have any hope of dodging spoilers, it feels like performance mode goes down to like 720p or lower and cinematic mode is far from a stable 30. Uncharted climbing was not what I wanted them to absorb from other AAAs.

Other than that, sick it's dope

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The performance seriously chugs within the town for some reason which doesn’t help matters

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I mean it still chugs in performance mode, it just does so by tanking the resolution. If you play around at the very beginning when you're walking around in the town you can get some pretty hideous results in certain spots

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I feel like remake 1 was crisper across the board but it's a really muddled comparison because I replayed like half of the PS5 upgraded version mid last year (and never tried it on PC). Completely granted remake 1 was a glorified hallway game and this is open world, and you get all the costs of that and none of the benefits in this demo

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It would be funny if the performance in that section just sucked because of the crowd of people in front of the mayor's office or something. It did seem like conspicuously a lot of NPCs, or maybe it just felt that way because of all of their voice lines firing simultaneously whenever you get close

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I feel like getting your hopes up for a problem in a demo to be fixed on release is a losing prospect more often than a winning one. But I suppose in this case you would know

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

*Elon voice* Tell it to aerith

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

May the proud history of square enix/butterfingers collaborations continue 1000 years

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

People always talk about how good the 7th heaven mods are, but it's really wild that you can't play the game in japanese with it. I guess that would be my feature request

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Frankston posted:

Lmao why is the Colosseum in Golden Saucer such an absurd difficulty jump over any fight up till now? I can't even beat the first round of the first fight because all the enemies just insta-gib me as soon as the fight starts.

Yeah that did feel mistuned. I came back like two zones later and it was fine (it's also more reasonable when you can choose two party members good at immediately blowing up the flying guys)

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

They really leaned in on yuffie being an obnoxious teenager, but I feel like her saving grace is she is pretty strong+fun to play as

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Yakuza games have the thing where they often push you to farm the minigames for whatever currency, and I really appreciate that being mostly absent in this (except for kinda gold saucer points, where you at least have a ton of options and if you dabble in them all you'll probably have plenty).

Even if you don't vibe with a minigame the vast majority are one and dones at least

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Probably not what you're looking to hear but maybe you just need to take a break and come back later when you're fresh. The minigame that took me the longest was the stupid fall guys frog one, but I'm not claiming that it was because it was hard or badly designed for what it was, I was just fuckin tired from 8 hours of gorging on this insane game

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

RME posted:

Out of curiosity, what are all the outcomes of the parade
I take I that Tseng identifying you means you always get the commendation, and the variable award is instead for the unrelated performance award that heimerdigger hands out

There are just two I think. Either you win the first prize or roche does, depending on your performance. Then you always win the second one

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I feel like I would rather play as aerith than cait sith. And that's a pretty dire statement for cait sith

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I'm mulling it over and yeah cait sith's buttons are at least strong. I guess with a gun to my head I would rather play him and aerith remains in last place sadly.

From a game design perspective, you failed our girl a bit nomura san

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I condemn myself to be destroyed by the posters with these, the official 50 hour mark rankings:

Yuffie: What can you say, she's goated in various ways. 10/10 no notes
Tifa: Still fun, still overpowered, I'm a bit bored of her at this point though. I was sure someone else would get stagger modifier increasing stuff in this game (besides the synergy finisher things) but no still just her
Barrett: I didn't really like him in remake 1 but he's surprisingly fun in this, and just useful as an always reliable solid ATB building support guy
Cloud: Meh. I could take him or leave him, especially considering the amount you're stuck with him
Red: Meh. I could see him going above cloud if I played him more, or if I could use him instead of cloud in more situations somehow
Cait: Strong but annoying to use
Aerith: Annoying to use, and not really especially strong for how annoying

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

There feels like a certain category of small monsters where their health is honestly a little undertuned and they just explode instantly in like one triple slash. I don't really see what the point is of peppering them in in dungeons, they're barely even speedbumps

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

There are still a few quite bad dungeons (chapter 11) looking at absolutely everything about you, shinra manor but generally they're a bit better and more naturalistic yeah

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Barret is obviously dead simple, maybe borderline boring, but all of his buttons just feel really good, his stagger buildup in particular is great, he generates a shitload of ATB which scales up over the game with passives that let him use his big shot more, and he has a lot of health so he can save it if things ever go south.

I feel like the platonic ideal party is tifa and yuffie actively doing their GOAT stuff and barret is the one you can play more passively supporting them

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Yeah shinra manor feels like the low point. It achieves a bad in like 8 different ways multiplier

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I'm on team minigame but I confess I have been a little uneasy as more and more hard versions of minigames have popped up going into the final stretch, where the normal versions were about the level I was willing to put up with.

But of course, you can simply not have the brain worms

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I mean I only fought the first two boxing opponents and peaced out but I feel like even by the second opponent the tell had little intuitive connection visually to the input needed to dodge so it was just rote memorizing, which combined with the stick thing was going to be too irritating

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Frankston posted:

Where the gently caress are the materials for the 'saga of the seaside quest'? I feel like I've scoured this entire area head to toe and I've only found 2 bundles but apparently there are 8??

They're at the top of every zipline, of which there are 8. It's not so bad if you look for wooden squares on the map

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

A shameful gamer, who doesn't rush for the moogle house the instant it pops up

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I'm the sicko who wants a harder version of the moogle minigame. Yeah it's trash but for whatever reason that's my kinda trash

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I still need to finish the last QB story battle and some of the minigame challenge fights but yeah generally I kind of ended up with a strategy of developing your side until the opponent commits to the ability to take the middle, then taking the middle yourself, then trying to freeze them out of the spaces that are left. Least potential to get turnabouted

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I don't think you need to do the protorelic stuff if you're not feeling it. It is really a lot of work for little benefit until the very very end, and while it is definitely higher effort than the other open world activities I wouldn't say it's transcendant from them.

If you want to maximize fruitful content for time or whatever I would do the sidequests before touching any protorelic

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Sockser posted:

Oh yeah I'm definitely tracking on what I'm supposed to be doing, I'm just learning that I'm actually bad at this game and I've been doing combat wrong for the past 75 hours.

Nah that fight is just frustrating hot garbage. Not sure if you've reached phase 2, but hot tip save your limit break for phase 2 to minimize the true agony

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I get what they were going for thematically but mechanically it's garb, and moreover garb the game has not adequately prepared you for, at about the most frustrating point possible to throw such a curveball, at the end of an already obnoxiously overlong sequence of fights (also fun that you get checkpointed at whatever HP you ended the previous boss fight with). You can say that's all brilliantly on purpose but ultimately the game never really does something that assholish before or after.

His scripting and the way the combat system is built is just not that well suited to the gimmick, to me

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Augus posted:

square pls chill with the unreal engine auto-exposure I can't see dick in this jungle

Yakuza 8 was also really bad about this so I am now categorizing it as a AAA JRPG thing more broadly

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The quest for gains has been the bane of many a gamer. And people say final fantasy isn't realistic

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Can't wait to get home from work tonight and try this Segway stuff lol

Also please tell me there is a way to have Barret in his cute little sailor outfit the whole time. I'll play hard mode if you let me do the whole game as a sailor

You unlock unrestricted costume choice after beating the game, so yeah I think you can

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Rude is such a gently caress that not even having one of the funniest scenes in the game to humanize him really reduced me hating him. Pretty good character

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

This is a minuscule detail but I enjoyed how many little signs and stuff where they left the writing in japanese, including yuffie's graffiti. Just one more small way to make the world feel that little bit more disorienting.

Really as I sit with the experience of the whole game I feel like my main takeaway is the beautiful/alienating vibes of the world are just immaculate

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Me getting a cactaur minigame with yuffie: Haha gently caress yeah!!! Yes!!

Me getting a cactaur minigame with aerith: Well this loving sucks. What the gently caress.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Rageaholic posted:

Speaking of the Turks, I just did the protorelic side quest in Gongaga and it's revealed that Cissnei is a Turk but she doesn't say anything about it and leaves when this is discovered. Do you find out more about this later? Maybe in future side quests? I finished the main story already and it wasn't in there.

I think she is featured in the final gongaga sidequest though I haven't actually done it yet. As the previous poster said regarding her backstory, but honestly she has a "put in the game so we could put her in the trailers" kinda feel

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

CapnAndy posted:

The latter makes sense, though. Rufus is in the middle of offering the group complete amnesty and all of Shinra off their rear end forever in exchange for killing Sephiroth, which is what they've been trying to do anyway, and he'll even presumably be offering assistance with that, even if it's just intel. So they get everything they want and give up nothing, it's the prize deal to end all deals. Barret even says out loud "not now" when he sees Yuffie starting to make her move; if she does it while Cloud, Tifa, and Aerith are right there on stage, he knows drat well who's gonna get the blame for it.

It's a little funny that yuffie never really gets confronted for her attempted murder but when anyone else wants to kill a named character it's an instant groupwide SMDH moment. Only one murder gremlin allowed on the team I suppose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

LadyPictureShow posted:

I just finished chapter 8, and I really don't care for how they did Dyne's scenes/death. Everything around it just felt so busy. It's a plot point that feels like it could have used some time to breathe. Instead Dyne goes down in a hail of bullets, and you don't really get time with that, because you immediately have to fight a robot, then you get a buggy, then do a chase sequence with a terrible shooting game.

I think it's a fair criticism of a lot of the big moments. They're busy to a sensory overload extent, which often does achieve the desired effect of amazing you with the sheer effort on display but it loses something emotionally when there is just too much going on too fast to take in.

I feel like it might be one of the few things the first remake did, still not great, but a little better