Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

triple sulk posted:

Demo spoilers you can see and hear actual grunt Cloud at the same time when crawling at the burning building.

It's also funny how blatantly non-Cloud he sounds like during the flashback. I can't imagine having played this without the OG.

I thought that was really clever, knowing what's (probably) coming. I genuinely hope the story goes a little more than off the rails at some point given the setup in the last game. I want it to lean hard into its weird.

When is the Junon part of the demo coming btw? It was locked when I tried last night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Steve Yun posted:

https://x.com/aitaikimochi/status/1755127424558469356?s=46

Director is nervous how rebirth will be received

$10 says Tifa dies

My prediction (based on nothing other than how fully featured he felt) is that Cloud dies/becomes the villain and Sephiroth joins the party

I'll bet nothing on this prediction.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Ragequit posted:

Another bombastic banger

That track is fabulous. It has strong "climbing the wall" energy from Remake 1. That was my favorite sequence/music from the first game so I'm glad they leaned into ti hard here.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I just realized I never played or beat the Yuffie episode DLC so I"m working on that this week. The reward for having a save game in Rebirth requires just a save or a cleared game save?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Mainwaring posted:

Did anyone else feel that Sephiroth's moveset felt suspiciously fleshed out. Like remake didn't even bother letting you control Red XIII who was around for a fair while at the end, and yet they've put this much effort into a full moveset for someone who's I'm your party for 30mim in the tutorial? Idk feels like maybe this won't be the only time we get to play as Sephiroth...

Yeah, I made a prediction earlier in the thread that he will be taking over a larger role in the party at some point, which honestly is unlikely but I can see more flashbacks where we use him.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I burned through the Yuffie DLC for Remake yesterday and while it was fun it was basically... nothing? Yuffie goes to Midgar to get a thing. Thing isn't there. Fights boss from other game. The end. Yuffie was fun to play as and she's a great little personality. It was also kind of fun seeing other characters from that perspective. But the plot was just super non-important. Unless, of course, Deepground is going to be A Thing or something which, eh, but I think they could make fun given their track record so far.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Spermando posted:

It is a branching combo apparently.

Re: the final scene they could have easily fixed it by having Seph cut their guns in half from the start, then they'd have a reason to not do anything

I mean honestly we all know bullets aren't going to do anything anyway. Have them shoot and he can just do a spinny sword thingie or something. Anything would look less silly than what we got. I guess they thought we'd be too focused on the foreground or something to notice.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I'm up to the Gold Saucer and other than being a little mini-gamed out, the game makes me so happy. The sequence as you enter is just so fun and ridiculous and I love it. The characterization of the remake games' crew is just top notch and I think probably going to be among my favorite group of characters in gaming.

e: also the Mt. Corel theme slaps.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Okay, so I really like this game, but I absolutely feel stuck in minigame hell. Costa del Sol was a slog, and I can only imagine the golden saucer will be much worse. The end of chapter 4 was spectacular, and the ship had some incredible moments, but I’m so sick of minigames gently caress crunches!

I'm kind of in the same boat. I think Rebirth does some stuff really well; like the minigames are well designed and easy to do the bare minimum in, but there are SO many of them. I think I'm going to have to make myself start skipping content because the story and characterization are fantastic but the sheer volume of minigames iskind of sucking the air out of the rest of the game.

I keep saying that but keep getting sucked into side content. I feel like you miss real story stuff if you skip the protorelics, or queens blood.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

WaltherFeng posted:

Is there a reason why Yuffie's elemental ninjutsu doesnt seem to pressure enemies even if the description says they are pressured by element X. It raises stagger sure but it doesnt seem to trigger the pressured condition

I often use it to do exactly that - is there a particular enemy you're having issues with? The flying jellyfish, for example, seem to dodge it like a physical attack until they are corporeal again.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

WaltherFeng posted:

I was practicing with her in the arena. Usually it only takes like maybe 1-2 spells to pressure a miniboss type of enemy but it seems a lot harder to do with ninjutsu. Maybe I was too impatient and I need to pay closer attention

I think spells are definitely faster since they cost MP. My strat is to get a bunch of distance with Yuffie, throw the thingie, then just mash Square with whatever element enabled while the enemy is occupied with someone else. I use the elemental materia on Cloud with whatever is appropriate and that's definitely way slower than Yuffie (or a spell). So maybe it has to do with the overall damage you're doing with that element too.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Raccoonboy posted:

go in solo

Barrett is pretty good for this since he excels at single target, face-melting DPS.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I'm trying to sort of skim the thread and avoid stuff where I can, but can anyone help me with Gears and Gambits? It's... not fun. I've beaten the first two so far and really just want to move on with the Protorelic stuff. Any tips that would help speed that along?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Fedule posted:

Set the difficulty to easy and use the Auto Builds.

Optionally also replace one of your bot profiles with one that just has Missile, Reduced Cost and Reduced Cost + HP and deploy millions of them, which isn't optimal but is funny and sometimes even feels good.

Well drat, Easy affects it? Don't mind if I do! Thank you.

Augus posted:

you can press a button in the set-up screen to have the game automatically pick gambits for you, do that and then in the actual battle just match elemental weaknesses and you should be fine.

Are the gambits it auto-sets capable of doing the later matches?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Augus posted:

yeah it specifically optimizes your gambits for the specific opponents you're up against.
I did one round normally and then decided I didn't want to devote the brainpower to this and just mashed auto for every match and got through each one first try

Perfect, thank you for that. I've enjoyed most of the minigames (despite the sheer volume) up to this point but G&G just feels clunky and isn't doing it for me.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
The Nibel region is such a relief after Cosmo Canyon. It's just kind of breezy and short, the enemies aren't a huge pain in the rear end and it's easy to knock out objectives quickly. I love its version of the world map music too.

I'm getting ready to roll into Chapter 12, I think. Feels like the game is building towards a big climax and I'm definitely here for it. For all the random tiny complaints I have about the game, the overall package is pretty stellar and genuinely impressive in places. The wait for the next game will probably be unbearable.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I posted my spoilery thoughts in the other thread. After beating the game, I think the overall package is just incredible. It has its issues for sure. I hate the little bespoke animations that make everything feel like it takes forever and I was absolutely gassed out on minigames by the end so I never did the final chocobo sidequest (since I would have had to grind through the leagues to get there) but the quality of the character writing and the weirdness of the setting and just how BIG they went with everything smoothed all that over by the end. I love the ways Rebirth expanded on the original story and I love the way the story is told. This group of characters will probably be my favorite for a very long time. The togetherness they show is genuinely heartwarming. They are all so supportive and caring for each other and that makes a huge difference.

My teenage son was chilling and watching me play through the ending while I was like WOAOAOAOAOAOAH over and over again. After it was all over he just kind of quietly left the room. He came back around dinner time and looked at me and said (ending spoilers, for the cautious) "You know, that ending was kind of sad, Dad". I talked to him about how that was kind of a generation defining gaming moment back in the 90s and they managed to make it even more gutwrenching this time around. The long goodbye had me in tears, tbh.

Overall I think it did Xenoblade 3 better than XB3 did, and even if I was burned out on optional content, it was all handled really well and designed in interesting ways. I think they could have cut it down a bit but I'm genuinely impressed by how much they put into the game. It's an achievement by any metric.

e: Oh yeah, the soundtrack is one of the best in gaming, for my money. Some of those later boss fights have some absolute bangers. The hour long final boss suite is kind of incredible in its own right, but I think the (late game boss spoilers) Tseng & Elena fight might be my favorite new theme in the game.

Levantine fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Mar 14, 2024

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I think I read somewhere the soundtrack is over 400 tracks or something? Absolutely unhinged and I can't imagine topping that.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

ImpAtom posted:

I'm so used to playing older games where "camera control on a stick" wasn't a thing that Glide was just more slightly confusing than agonizing, but I imagine if you're not used to that it would be horrible because you'd have to unlearn the muscle memory of camera movement.

As much as I didn't vibe with many of the minigames, Gliding seemed ok. Not "fun" exactly but doable, especially if you aren't going for best ranks. FF7 Rebirth makes the bar for entry really low if you just want to progress, thankfully.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
One of my favorite bits of music in the game is played early, near the beginning (the non-battle music leading up is fantastic too): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Kn3U--JYPQ

Hamauzu's stuff has always been my jam and this is one of his better pieces, IMO. I can almost hear some Saga Frontier 2 in there right after the 30 second mark. I hope, somehow, that they go even harder for part 3 in terms of quality and variety but I can barely conceive of how they'd do that at this point.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I got a TON of mileage out of Cloud using Enemy Materia + Healing Materia, Fire + Ice (change to Lightning + Wind when need be) Materia with Elemental, the one that just gives you ATB when you use it, the one where blocking gives ATB and some stat orbs. I'd use my first ATB to do Plasma Discharge, then Sonic Boom on the second then alternate between that and Disorder (if I didn't need to heal). So basically you always have Bravery active, you're healing even bigger chunks of HP and every time you build an ATB bar Plasma Discharge is going off in an AoE for big damage and decent stagger. If I staggered an enemy I'd quickly hit 2ATB and do Infinity's End for 9999 (though that's late game). I rarely needed outside healing and things just melted. If you do the Synergy attacks that give 3 ATB you're even more busted.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Big Mouth Billy Basshole posted:

I don't know if I'm going to finish the open world stuff in cosmo canyon. The traversal is better than Gongaga, but I'm definitely feeling a little burnt out and just want to advance the main story.

I felt like that was the nadir of the game for me, overall. None of its bad or anything but the amount of distractions at that point is just overwhelming. It definitely does pick up after that though so if you're feeling the burn you can always come back later. You can't really miss anything in the game so if you feel like beelining for the story, do it. If you care later you can come back and do anything you want.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Wedge, biggs and Jessie were all such non characters to me in og and it's been so lovely just having them given new life like this

All of the character writing is really special but the incredible focus they give characters like that is something else.. I never would have expected a remake of a 90's RPG to hit so hard in the department but here we are. It's equal parts heartfelt and funny and walks that line just right.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Wamsutta posted:

i'm 70 hours in and still using the umbral blade because of all its materia slots. disappointing that as badass as the crystal sword looks it's got dogshit for materia slots

Yeah, Materia feels like it's king, so I always went with the most slots. Cloud was my Enemy Skill/Healing materia person and was strong no matter what he used tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Pollyanna posted:

Quantity and quality are a well-known tradeoff, though.

Tell that to this game's soundtrack