Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I beat the game last night so I don't have to play black bar roulette anymore (or just "whoops someone didn't spoil something they probably should have" roulette) with the thread so what's the best method to start grinding up my exp and AP after I finish cleaning up intel and sidequests that I skipped

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

fezball posted:

Everything will get you way more exp and AP on chapter select independent of difficulty setting, just finishing up the leftovers on easy/normal/dynamic will likely get you to level 70 in no time. Maxing out materia (especially all the blue ones) may require some grinding, but even that can be at least mitigated somewhat by just filling up your back benchers while doing the hard chapters. Other than that, the best one I've found so far is rerunning the longer simulators on easy while making sure that the important materia is linked with AP up (which does stack to 6x on the triple gain 2-slot bracer).

I don't have much left to complete (I skipped some of the later sidequests and intel because I wanted to finish before the end of the weekend) so I probably won't be super close to cap after my cleanup is done. Was just hoping there's a gauntlet of some kind near the start of a chapter that I can power through like the chapter 16 spot in remake. The x6 gain is good to know though. I did have something set there but wasn't 100% sure if it worked that way.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I enjoy Chadley and his interactions :)

He gave me a CHAD device which was very funny

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Thundarr posted:

OK, so chapter 12 runaround stuff I did the four pirate coves and crafted the compass and found a bunch of pirate jetsam. Apparently you can craft things with them but... where are the recipes? My crafting level is just under 16 with all possible things crafted, and all region data complete so there's no more transmuter chips to find. What do I gotta do to use these? Plenty of content farm articles online about what recipes use the jetsam but none of them actually say how you get the recipes! Unless I have to wait for Kid G to finally call me back or something.

I haven't done this myself but as far as I know the recipes are at the end of the protorelic line

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

JBP posted:

Ah yeah that's a good reason, but not too bad to my mind because I basically never use anyone but Barret and Aerith who are my favourite characters lol

The main reason is that that's one less character to stick materia on for leveling, if you're planning on doing postgame stuff where you might need more characters or just want some of the more powerful or stat boosting materias maxed out (or as close as you can get)

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Wamsutta posted:

What am I missing with red anyway? I love him as a character but never want to control him it just feels like he doesn’t really do anything. His melee is short little swipes with a weird range of motion, Stardust Ray is one of the coolest abilities in the game, but his ATB builds up insanely slow. You’re just supposed to sit there and block? That’s super boring :-/

I don't think you're missing anything, this is pretty much how I felt too. His blocking animation feels really bad too because the visual indicator is super subtle.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Something I initially missed with the chicken quest is that you don't have to wait for them to walk all the way back to their starting spot if you mess up, you just put the can away and throw it again and they'll regain interest from that point, so you only lose a little bit of time and progress.

The game doesn't tell you this and I only found out because I threw the can at the chicken after I messed up again on the second one.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

ImpAtom posted:

If you want to do Johnny's stuff you do need to go back and do it once for that one random minigame on the elevator unfortunately but it is super easy to do anyway.

only if you didn't get it on the first try :smuggo:

(I still have to do it again for the hard mode playthrough anyway though)

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

lines posted:

I'm genuinely wondering if we've accidentally set the difficulty wrong. I beat that whole fight without killing both hands in any phase - just ground it down.

Oftentimes there are things I read in these threads that genuinely make me wonder if we're playing the same game

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

KonvexKonkav posted:

You can see the meter at any time when pressing L1. Why it's displayed without any prompt at these occasions no clue.

It's to tell you that you can talk to them, and possible increase your relationship with them.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Rhonne posted:

I'm curious how they'll handle the world intel stuff in the next game. We've got a few more new places to go, but we're also going to be revisiting a lot of old ones, too. Plus, we'll have our airship in the next game. Is Chadley going to find more towers for us to climb?

Chadley is probably going to pilot the ship

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

lines posted:

I feel like Part 3 almost wants to be a different genre? Like this is the one of the three that wants to be an open world exploration type game. Part 3 could do something wildly different, I don't know quite what yet.

Tactical RPG

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

ImpAtom posted:

You get lore for the vast majority of the World Intel things. That's the opposite of "you don't get to learn anything."

Yeah but then you have to listen to Chadley for 15 whole seconds which for some people is a crime that should be tried at The Hauge apparently

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

grieving for Gandalf posted:

the marlboro is the first fight that's given me pause. I wasn't even doing that much damage to it in stagger

this was probably the hardest intel fight for me but that's probably mostly because my party decided to stand directly in the bad breath

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Rhonne posted:

and if your date is Yuffie then she gets to be the princess, but Aerith still gets her song, so it's just Tifa sitting next to a sleeping Cid in the audience :lol:

if Tifa is your date then Yuffie is the one next to Cid

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Cloud! It’s actually spelled Hague. I’m sure a powerful mercenary like yourself could spell correctly.

Thanks Chadley I know I can always count on you to help me out

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I gave up on that song, I will need to watch a YouTube video of someone doing it so I can hear it first. It’s basically impossible to tell what the game is asking you to do, otherwise. Makes me wish the game let you demo the pieces and listen to them first.

I saw a video that recommended using the accessibility zoom feature in the ps settings to basically full screen the song ui and I went from about 1800 below the A score to an A in two attempts

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Thundarr posted:

Near the end of the last fight and the game loving crashes. :mad: The first time it's done that too.

But right before that... what the gently caress is the game trying to say? Why did they do that only to just go nope lol immediately after. I'm gonna punch you Nomura.

Multiverse theory is a bitch

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Namnesor posted:

This is objectively wrong when Rebirth is the game that gave us Gus's themes.

Yeah the music hits way harder in this game than it did in Remake for me. FF XIV has trained me to listen for motifs and their usage of them in Rebirth is incredible.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Thundarr posted:

The greatest thing about Rebirth is that everybody's bingo cards for "parts of Rebirth I didn't like" are different so it'll be a source of Internet arguments for the rest of time.

Like Gongaga and Cosmo Canyon traversal didn't bother me at all but they seem to drive a lot of people nuts. Meanwhile I'm over here getting tilted at poo poo that Remake did too so I shoulda known to expect it.

I hated Cosmo travel so bad that it broke me of the need to 100% every zone before leaving but that worked out to my advantage because I'm going to hit level cap doing all the cleanup without needing to grind thanks to the postgame experience/ap bonus and the EXP materia (which apparently applies to the entire party).

Like last night I realized I was a high enough level to do the Greg fights which I thought I was gonna need to grind up in the colosseum or something to get to it but I haven't even touched those yet.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Mar 21, 2024

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bobjr posted:

I’m hoping it at least lets us finish off Corneo too like the original. Scotch and the other guy too

There's no way they won't give us that.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Trip Hazard posted:

I thought it might be the first thing (it totally, utterly fails at that imo) but I didn't know about the second reason, thanks for that

this is actually exactly how it feels when I enter my garage getting home from work every day so I found it pretty realistic lol

However if it wasn't for the textures thing I would say it's in the "yeah its realistic but this is a video game and it's ok to remove dumb/tedious things" category

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Rabid Snake posted:

Chapter 12 end of chapter Spoilers Man we get to fight Rufus again with the same gimmick? Except now you can't cheese the fight with "Stop" to keep him staggered more and "Sleep". That fight kicked my rear end on Normal, I had to redo the fight like 6 times before I got the timing right. It felt so good to beat him again like in FF7 Remake. Man he's going to be hell on hard mode.

I liked that they made the fight harder, like he took how easy he was to beat personally and worked to fix his weaknesses

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Son of Rodney posted:

I for one really dislike having yuffie around and I'm dismayed they gave her such a big role. She gets better later in the game and is almost tolerable at times but then always returns to her over the top everything , especially the materia obsessiveness. She's a 16 year old written by middle aged anime nerds, and it shows.

And then they inserted her in all these quests, instead of actually cool character barrett or red, who seem kinda like afterthoughts after their respective region is over. Barrett being sick of her is funny to watch tho.

I'm still not sure about how the wutai stuff will shake out, it's interesting how much bigger of a part it seems to play in this game. In the original I inadvertently skipped it until super late game and the entire area never really had an impact that way. Yuffie and wutai both went from completely skippable to essential story parts, they're really trying stuff out this time around.

IcePhoenix posted:

Oftentimes there are things I read in these threads that genuinely make me wonder if we're playing the same game

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

what's the range on the corsair's compass? I crafted it and cruised around in the bronco for a bit but no indicators ever came up

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

ImpAtom posted:

It's reasonably large, but I had to do a lot of sailing to find all of them.

How many treasures are there? And what's in them? If I don't need them for completion or whatever I might just skip it.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Ah ok, good to know. I already got a bunch of those just from cruising around to the coves but I assume I need them for the level 16 recipes since I have more than I need right now.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Ytlaya posted:

I feel like people are psyching themselves out with Gongaga, because it isn't nearly as bad to navigate as I've seen implied.

Mt best guess is that maybe some people are still using the compass minimap and aren't paying close attention to the area map.

yeah Cosmo was way way worse for me, at least Gongaga never sent me backtracking across half the map to find the one special platform I have to jump off of to be able to reach the next thirteen in a sequence to get somewhere

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I was in chapter 12 hard mode to re-fight all the intel bosses and figured "gently caress it, let's give the actual chapter a try too" and it took me a while but I finally beat Rufus and I feel like that one is probably one of the hardest to get through on a hard mode playthrough so I'm pretty jazzed right now.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Does the ultimate middle manager quest being bugged mean I can't max my party level?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Fedule posted:

https://imgur.com/a/n2tXbHq

Come on. Come the gently caress on. I always suspected these guys and others of cheating but I didn't think it would be that bad.

(why imgur marks this as adult i'm not sure)

Skill issue imo

(that's hilarious)

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Blockhouse posted:

spending atb bars gives you little synergy bars on your characters' UI, spend those bars to do things. Each time you use a synergy ability it costs another synergy bar on top of what you paid before to do it again. They all do damage and one additional thing depending on the move: unlimited MP, increase stagger time, or raise limit level allowing you to use level 2 limit breaks on those two characters.

Two things on this: the free elemental skills don't give you synergy bars and there's also a fourth type that doesn't do any damage but repartitions their ATB Bars into three parts instead of two for a limited time, which lets you build ATB faster and also store up an additional one for big burst

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

That's pretty wild since they're both incredibly powerful (especially the free elemental skills that bounce to multiple enemies)

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I was successful at getting a date with Tifa, just like the whispers intended. That poo poo’s canon.

The rest of the chapter sucked rear end though! And I don’t want to start that one side quest until a patch comes out to fix it so I’m going to run out of stuff to do soon!

I was able to complete the sidequest last night so clearly the bug isn't a 100% thing.

For the record I did things in the following order: speed, chocobo, battle, bike. And also my previous bike high score was just a touch under his goal score, which also may be what helped avoid the bugged trigger

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Barret and Cait's where they form a WoFF stack on the Mog and do donuts while Barret happily just hits the "fire everything" setting on his arm is my favorite so far.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

You can pause buffer the 3d brawler, makes it pretty easy once you have a couple rounds to learn the tells. The head position is the big giveaway. Or at least it was for me since it was more consistent than tracking their arm movements.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Mar 26, 2024

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Instant Grat posted:

Would it really have killed them to pronounce Cait Sith correctly

It's his name so however he pronounces it is the correct way to pronounce it.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Edit: is there a finite amount of Pirate Jetsam in the ocean?

There is exactly as much as you need, and a message will pop up telling you that you've collected all of it when you get the last one.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Fedule posted:

This reminds me. HP<->MP is in the game for lols, completeness since it was in the OG and is kinda memorable, and apparently limit farming, and also is helpful for AP grinding, and whatever practical purpose it serves is underscored by how there is absolutely no way in hell to get your MP to such stupid levels by any other means. Cool.

Why did they bother with Vit<->Spr and Str<->Mag? Is there anything you can do with them that you can't do by just using different equipment? Characters have some natural variance but as far as I know all have broadly the same kinds of weapon archetypes. Maybe you can get a high strength Aerith but like. Why would you? Is there even a joke here?

when you are in sections where you have more than three party members you can throw HP <-> MP on a bench character for a free between combat healing battery since you can access their spells from the commands when you're not in combat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

BisbyWorl posted:

Also also finding the lifespring on the way to the Nibel reactor and Cloud just going into a trance and repeating what Sephiroth said five years ago was an extremely creepy moment.

I'm not sure if it was just the lighting, but I think Cloud started to get Sephi's cat eyes during that scene.

that entire scene was super well done, the moment where it clicks for Tifa what he's doing and she immediately gets super uncomfortable and pushes for them to leave was :discourse: