Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Looking forward to loving it up and Rufus mailing me a bomb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Holy poo poo this trailer

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Demo is up, it's 48 gigs!

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Got up early to play the demo before work and it didn't disappoint.

The Nibelheim flashbacks are some of my most anticipated parts of the remakes as a whole and it was so gooood

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Thinking of playing this section as a first timer is wild. Seeing Tifa's reactions without knowing that instead of her thinking forward in the story its her going "Cloud wasn't there how does he know this?!".
Wondering why one of the guards sound so familiar, wondering why Cloud is so chipper. Maybe first time people will think it's because he's so young and he got so stiff after this happened.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
It'll be full on dead Cloud with a quest to go revive him like in Chrono-Trigger for part 3

Man going on Youtube from a week or two from now is going to be fraught!

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

ImpAtom posted:

They literally rereleased Crisis Core including it rebranding in the Remake name style. It isn't supposed to be a secret

Nah that's not what I'm saying, just imagine you are seeing Niebelheim for the first time ever, is what I mean, though even someone who has followed these releases, from FF7 Remake to CC to this I'm sure will be even more intrigued. Ever Crisis players too

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

ImpAtom posted:

No, I mean Crisis Core covers the Nibelheim part. If you've been following the remake line of games as they come out you've already seen the 'unaltered' version of it.

Yeah, exactly, so I can imagine players going "Wth, why is Cloud pretending to be Zack?"

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

DanielCross posted:

I've got a friend who played Remake completely blind on the original FFVII, she doesn't even know about Aerith's fate (and I keep having to warn her "Hey, when you're on the internet and discussion of this game comes up, there's one really big spoiler that's been so known for the majority of the history of gaming as a medium that people don't often care to hide it"), and from the perspective of that person (she's already figured out something is fucky with Nibelheim and Zack from the presentation of Remake), I wonder if (Demo Spoilers) having the "Shinra Grunt" crawling towards Cloud's mom's house and literally calling for his mom is a bit too much.

If that bit doesn't drive it home then getting blown backwards into the exact same position the grunt was laying in and him totally disappearing should

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I found it hard to get into because, as has been said it's a psp game and it feels like it. But I watched a heap of fights and cutscenes cut into a movie on YouTube and really enjoyed it. There's some real fun story stuff in there, Zack is fun as hell, Sephiroth is fleshed out a bit more too.

It also retcons Nibelheim, but every time this series has shown those events they've been slightly different, but in a way that maybe won't be reflected in Rebirth? Instead of Sephiroth going "huh my mother's name was Jenova.. am I? Oh no!" Gackt flies through the door and yells "Hey Sephiroth, you're a monster!!! Bye!" and Sephiroth starts his breakdown.

This makes me want to go rewatch Last Order now.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
All it took from Genesis was one sucker punch and Sephiroth put him in the hospital. He was itching for it

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

nine-gear crow posted:

My memories of Dirge are fuzzy but isn't she also Vincent's love interest in that game?

She somehow has access to Lucretia's memories and it influences her in some ways. Those include having a crush on Vincent and also somehow being able to transform into Lucretia at key moments. Which is.. uncomfortable to watch.. The whole deal is weird and wrong

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Oh did I ever bring up that I think that particular part of the ending might be referencing or taking influence from the various different endings across all of the Devilman adaptations?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Are there more Sephiroths or are there more Xehanorts?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

D.Fuzzbot posted:

Okay innately on PC no, you'd have to install 7th Heaven mod manager which has shortcuts for speedup, no battles and even skip fmv.

Also install the 60/30 FPS mods and set it to 30FPS if you want Tifa's reels to be usable.

If you want invincibility just install the "Gameplay Tweaks" mod and it has invincibility in there.

I got this a while ago just to install that cool mod that puts the og concept art as textures over battle sprites. It's pretty painless, though I never got it to run right on my deck, which would be amazing

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Eyyy I did not notice that the second part of the demo is out at noon gmt (about 2 hours from now). Gonna be a busy day.

Are we talking about demo stuff in here or the spoilers thread?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Terper posted:

Spoiler thread contains spoilers from the full game due to leaks, it is not a place to visit unless you want to see that

That's why I was asking here, I don't want to risk even a small glance in that direction if I don't have to.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Demo boss is allergic to lightning which is pretty handy because you already have some and can get your hands on some from Chadley and boost it to lv2.

There being materia with Two spells is amazing btw. That seems broken in a great way.

Unfortunately this demo kind of has a trap built in where you are gonna want to mess about with Red but he can't reach the drat boss. Tifa to a lesser extent, though she can be launched in the air. I basically didn't use Cloud during the fight at all.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

RatHat posted:

Synergy skills seem absolutely essential for some characters since they cover their weaknesses. Aerith gets a bodyguard while she sets up her wards, Tifa gets an air launcher, ect.

Love Aerith getting her own Protect Girls

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Ytlaya posted:

Red is neat and seems very powerful solo (not that you ever really play solo). His special mode seems capable of some pretty great damage.

I don't know if this was the case in the original, but Cloud seems to shoot projectiles from his sword at range now.

He must have full hearts

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Augus posted:

doing the R1 duo attacks builds up ATB for both participants which helps a lot for clearing the timed challenges

Ohhh that's really handy to know! There's something about the sidebar tutorials in this and remake that make my eyes glaze over and I've missed a lot of cool things like this.

I also didn't realise you brave to hold the button to get your chocobo to sniff

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

redreader posted:

I don't know if this has been covered already, but why isn't Tifa going "no, that didn't happen!"?

Something I noticed from watching Chip play the demo is how after Barrett asks Cloud about the beef with Sephiroth, he asks Tifa if it's OK to tell the story and she's basically like "uh yeah why wouldn't it be???"

And then, every single shot of her in Kalm afterwards she's super upset. I really like it being an if you know you know situation, like you'd maybe think she's upset about Nibelheim but really she ended up in a coma for a week once and now her neighbour is telling this scarily accurate story about it and she's freaking the gently caress out.

Just Tifa sat in the corner of the room being accidentally gaslit by Cloud in a way that won't be explained until possibly game 3 in several years

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Oh yeah ImpAtom, how did this run for you? I know a lot of people didn't like the performance mode in the demo but atm I have to choose fps over visuals because of some eyestrain..

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Mad Hamish posted:

This is just making me imagine in-universe WEAPON truthers who go on the Internet PHS Network or whatever it is and angrily post about how WEAPON doesn't exist and Shin-Ra Tower was blown up by Wutese nationalists in a plot to hide the secret mythril mine in the basement. The Sector 7 Plate didn't drop because it was a hologram and never really existed to begin with.

Posting SHINRA DID SECTOR SEVEN over and over again until a Turk personally shows up to my house in Gongaga

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Over the past couple of months, I've replayed/watched the following

OG FF7
Crisis Core Reunion
FF7 Remake + INTERmission
Advent Children

Now I truly venture into darkness

Sneak in a watch of Last Order!

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I like Remake's version of the boardroom scene with Scarlet and Heidegger getting pumped for torturing Aerith and then Hojo goes and spoils their fun by being creepy about breeding her. Like not even these two psychopaths are cool with Hojo's poo poo.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I remember that taking forever because I couldn't for the life of me beat Dyne solo

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Genesis was getting old so hard that his coat turned grey too

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
This preload is making me miss my old apt's fibre connection

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

The planet's dying, Cloud.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Crawfish posted:

Looks like it's midnight here in NZ, so only 7 hours and a bit on my end.

Unrelated...

https://x.com/aitaikimochi/status/1762663157934506034?s=20

The sexual tension at play in this Udon ad is off the loving charts

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
ImpAtom how good is (trailer spoilers?) Battle on the big bridge?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Oh what its not installed yet?!

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Oh jesus I'm never gonna get out of the Grasslands, this is worse than DA:I

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Oh here's a question for anyone who didn't skip the flashback, do you end up keeping the Materia you get? You don't have it if you skip.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

ImpAtom posted:

Nope. That Materia is just to give you some stuff to play around with in the early part. If you go back in Hard Mode/Chapter Select it doesn't seem to be there at all (because you can carry all of Cloud's gear/materia/etc back to the flashback sequence.)

Oh good, now I don't have to feel bad about it

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Game is good 👍

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Pollyanna posted:

I might switch to maining Aerith full-time. Something about melee combat in this game just doesn’t gel with me. Or should I be regularly swapping control between characters?

You should be swapping yeah. There's more of an incentive now too seeing as you build meters for synergies by using atb commands.

Got a day off due to snow today, 15 hours into the game and I'm about half way through the Junon area. This game is loving huge. I'm starting to think I should cut my losses on these activities, but the protorelic quest seems super interesting, I want to have an easier fight against the summon so I'm doing those, and I just unlocked the boss fiend for the area and like... I wanna do that all in the next area too at least and that's gonna take forever!

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

NikkolasKing posted:

I asked this of a poster in the Persona thread about P3 Reload and, well, this is another JRPG remake so why no ask it here, too.

Do you feel the remake has replaced the original insofar as you have no interest in replaying original FFVII now the Remake(s) exist? You would sooner replay the Remake than FFVII, basically.

The comparison between P3R and FFVIIR might not fit too well, though, because I assume P3R plays more or less like original P3, while FFVIIR is a whole different beast from original VII.

This is comparable to Rebuild of Evangelion for me. Perfectly ok to experience as your first time but just juicy as all hell if you have enjoyed the original. Obviously an anime that finished the year before og FF7 came out has aged differently because it's not a video game and it's a lot easier to watch the whole thing, so I get that some people wont get that experience here. Having knowledge of FF7 has been really rewarding, because I've been playing with anticipation for parts I loved (like I would with P3R) but I also get to speculate and get surprised when things diverge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I've fallen way behind the thread because of newborn stuff and working weekends but I just finished Junon and it was incredible